New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge

View Poll Results: Who Should go to the BCS in this Scenario???
MICHIGAN 8 23.53%
OHIO STATE 26 76.47%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

11-07-2007, 02:45 PM   #45
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
1) Don't hate the Gators now...they whined but easily showed last year that OSU should have never been in that game in the first place. Again, that proved the strength of schedule should be an important parameter...

2) I do not think OSU is a bad team at all. They actually may be the best out there this year. If they win it all, there is no argument for them not to be in the final game as one of few unbeaten teams left. Then, that game will either -- prove me (and SEC fans) very wrong, or prove it again that loosing in SEC by a field goal is actually worth more points than beating Younstown...
1) I don't hate the Gators. Were they the only team deserving to play in the championship with OSU last year? No, but Mayer did make a good campaign out of things. That still doesn't mean that OSU last year was a bad team, which every SEC person just points to that game and says, "see, we won, we're better". It was 1 game, OSU's worst game all season, Florida had a bad game that year too, it just didn't happen to be the championship game. Shit happens.

2) Correct, OSU is doing all the right things again. Why does Y-town state keep coming up? Every team in every conference plays easy games. Get over it. Tressel just plays teams from Ohio for "state pride games", and Y-town state was also the school Tressel was the head coach at before going to OSU which is also why he scheduled them. Again, get over the easy games, everyone plays them.

LSU has played some bad teams as well. Mid Tenn.(S. Belt), Tulane(C-USA), La. Tech(WAC), Miss, and Ole Miss aren't exactly high caliber teams. Everyone plays weak teams, it's nothing new.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 03:00 PM   #46
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
You know I'm tired of this. OSU repeatedly puts great teams on the field. Look at history fellas. They've kicked asses for decades and have the list of great players to prove it. Your all great SEC teams like LSU, Florida, Georgie and Tenn have to add all their great players together to get a list as large as OSU's. Want some samples????

Tenn.
2000 John Henderson Outland Trophy
1997 Peyton Manning Davey O'Brien Award
1997 Peyton Manning Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award
1997 Peyton Manning Maxwell Award
1964 Steve DeLong Outland Trophy

LSU
2004 Ben Wilkerson Rimington Trophy
2001 Josh Reed Fred Biletnikoff Award
1959 Billy Cannon Heisman Memorial Trophy

Georgia

2004 David Pollack Chuck Bednarik Award
2004 David Pollack Vince Lombardi/Rotary Award
2004 David Pollack Ted Hendricks Award
2003 David Pollack Ted Hendricks Award
1998 Champ Bailey Bronko Nagurski Award
1992 Garrison Hearst Doak Walker Award
1982 Herschel Walker Heisman Memorial Trophy
1982 Herschel Walker Maxwell Award
1982 Herschel Walker Walter Camp Award
1968 Bill Stanfill Outland Trophy
1946 Charley Trippi Maxwell Award
1942 Frank Sinkwich Heisman Memorial Trophy

Florida
1996 Danny Wuerffel Davey O'Brien Award
1996 Danny Wuerffel Heisman Memorial Trophy
1996 Lawrence Wright Jim Thorpe Award
1996 Danny Wuerffel Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award
1996 Danny Wuerffel Maxwell Award
1996 Danny Wuerffel Walter Camp Award
1995 Danny Wuerffel Davey O'Brien Award
1993 Judd Davis Lou Groza Award
1966 Steve Spurrier Heisman Memorial Trophy

Finally... OSU

2006 Troy Smith Davey O'Brien Award
2006 Troy Smith Heisman Memorial Trophy
2006 Troy Smith Walter Camp Award
2005 A.J. Hawk Vince Lombardi/Rotary Award
2004 Mike Nugent Lou Groza Award
2001 LeCharles Bentley Rimington Trophy
1998 Antoine Winfield Jim Thorpe Award
1997 Andy Katzenmoyer Dick Butkus Award
1996 Orlando Pace Vince Lombardi/Rotary Award
1995 Eddie George Doak Walker Award
1995 Terry Glenn Fred Biletnikoff Award
1995 Eddie George Heisman Memorial Trophy
1995 Eddie George Maxwell Award
1995 Eddie George Walter Camp Award
1995 Orlando Pace Vince Lombardi/Rotary Award
1995 Eddie George Walter Camp Award
1987 Chris Spielman Vince Lombardi/Rotary Award
1987 Chris Spielman Vince Lombardi/Rotary Award
1975 Archie Griffin Heisman Memorial Trophy
1975 Archie Griffin Maxwell Award
1975 Archie Griffin Heisman Memorial Trophy
1975 Archie Griffin Maxwell Award
1975 Archie Griffin Walter Camp Award
1975 Archie Griffin Walter Camp Award
1974 Archie Griffin Heisman Memorial Trophy
1974 Archie Griffin Heisman Memorial Trophy
1974 Archie Griffin Walter Camp Award
1974 Archie Griffin Walter Camp Award
1973 John Hicks Outland Trophy
1961 Bob Ferguson Maxwell Award
1955 Howard Cassady Heisman Memorial Trophy
1955 Howard Cassady Maxwell Award
1950 Vic Janowicz Heisman Memorial Trophy
1944 Les Horvath Heisman Memorial Trophy

I rest my case.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 03:09 PM   #47
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
...I rest my case.

January 2007
(1)OSU vs. (2)UF 14 : 41

Me too...
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 03:34 PM   #48
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
January 2007
(1)OSU vs. (2)UF 14 : 41

Me too...
That's all you've got?

retired 06 E90 325i

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 06:10 PM   #49
DFW_M
Major General
Rep

Quote:
That's all you've got?
No, seriously, I believe you that the OSU is a great team, and been that for a while, no doubt about it. And I would like to see them in the Jan game against the SEC team (LSU). And I would hope they would make it more interesting...by the end of the first half...
However, if they get their asses whooped again (not just beat, but litterally kicked again), I don't want to hear the OSU song again -- other teams should deserve to have the opportunity also (for example WV, and some others...)

But the season is not over so (at least this year) anything is possible (except for the Gators to go for a repeat ).
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2007, 06:21 PM   #50
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
No, seriously, I believe you that the OSU is a great team, and been that for a while, no doubt about it. And I would like to see them in the Jan game against the SEC team (LSU). And I would hope they would make it more interesting...by the end of the first half...
However, if they get their asses whooped again (not just beat, but litterally kicked again), I don't want to hear the OSU song again -- other teams should deserve to have the opportunity also (for example WV, and some others...)

But the season is not over so (at least this year) anything is possible (except for the Gators to go for a repeat ).
Agreed.

I for one wouldn't be raising my OSU flag until they won another championship if they were to get stomped again this year. I still think the OSU-UF game was a slight fluke due to many factors, none the less still sucked.

We are now seeing eye to eye. I like it.

retired 06 E90 325i

Appreciate 0
      11-08-2007, 06:28 PM   #51
LH1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x

I still don't understand why Tressel didn't get more aggressive defensively. OSU's corners were playing so far off UF receivers.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2007, 07:18 PM   #52
DFW_M
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LH1 View Post
I still don't understand why Tressel didn't get more aggressive defensively. OSU's corners were playing so far off UF receivers.
I'd say they were so damn fast for them that OSU didn't understand what the hell happened -- underdog (from SEC) was toying with them...
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2007, 12:38 AM   #53
BMW2006
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Montego Coupe

Quote:
I'd say they were so damn fast for them that OSU didn't understand what the hell happened -- underdog (from SEC) was toying with them...
No one 'toys' with anyone in a championship game. Everyone plays to win. In that game we saw something very rare happen. Tressel got out coached. The loss of Ginn was significant as that guy couldn't even fart without drawing the attention of the secondary, which freed up receivers like Gonzales all season long. At one point during the season gonzo had made 33 of 35 receptions for a first down... Stats like that don't' exist on a team without a receiver like Ginn.

When they called for the attempt at converting a 4th and 1 in their own territory in the first freaking half, you could tell they were panicking a little bit.

The Ohio state #1 Vs. Michigan #2 game last year, (while being one of the most surreal and impressive college football experiences I've ever had, maybe ever will have) exposed the Buckeyes Defense to the nation. So now that the everyone knew how to rack up large points offensively against the bucks, you just needed to marginalize the Bucks' defense and it's a done deal.

That game was won and lost on Florida's defensive line. Florida's defensive front put a lot of pressure on Troy Smith... and they rattled a quarterback who supposedly couldn't be gotten to. He was trying to force plays that he shouldn't have, because Florida was in the damn backfield the entire game. The bucks were playing desperation football about a full quarter before they needed to.

Don't get me wrong I love Tressell. He beats his rival and wins most of his bowl games... He currently has a higher winning percentage than Woody Hayes... if he brings home a few more championships he will be just as revered by the OSU faithful. But he has made 2 calls that I just didn't agree with. The aforementioned going for it on 4th and 1 in our own territory (from the coach who plays to punt, and stated the punt is the most important play in football) in the championship game, and when he Put Krenzel back in when they lost to Michigan 4 years ago after Krenzel had been hit so hard he wasn't sure if he even had legs or even where he was... while he was recovering from that McMullen lead the team to a score on the previous drive... When the Bucks got the ball back after stalling Michigan, Krenzel was put back in and led them to a 3 and out series. Granted he deserved the chance, but you could see who was in shape to lead the team on a comeback drive and who wasn't.

All of that aside. It's nice to be a Buckeye fan. This was touted as a rebuilding year, and we're making a run for the championship again... Florida, who was supposed to be re-establishing themselves as a team of prominence, isn't even being discussed at this point.

-BMW2006

Last edited by BMW2006; 11-09-2007 at 06:09 AM.. Reason: typos
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2007, 12:43 AM   #54
NaTuReB0Y
Powered By 36DD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90

even the winless dolphins will beat OSU.............
      11-09-2007, 08:02 AM   #55
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW2006 View Post
No one 'toys' with anyone in a championship game. Everyone plays to win. In that game we saw something very rare happen. Tressel got out coached. The loss of Ginn was significant as that guy couldn't even fart without drawing the attention of the secondary, which freed up receivers like Gonzales all season long. At one point during the season gonzo had made 33 of 35 receptions for a first down... Stats like that don't' exist on a team without a receiver like Ginn.

When they called for the attempt at converting a 4th and 1 in their own territory in the first freaking half, you could tell they were panicking a little bit.

The Ohio state #1 Vs. Michigan #2 game last year, (while being one of the most surreal and impressive college football experiences I've ever had, maybe ever will have) exposed the Buckeyes Defense to the nation. So now that the everyone knew how to rack up large points offensively against the bucks, you just needed to marginalize the Bucks' defense and it's a done deal.

That game was won and lost on Florida's defensive line. Florida's defensive front put a lot of pressure on Troy Smith... and they rattled a quarterback who supposedly couldn't be gotten to. He was trying to force plays that he shouldn't have, because Florida was in the damn backfield the entire game. The bucks were playing desperation football about a full quarter before they needed to.

Don't get me wrong I love Tressell. He beats his rival and wins most of his bowl games... He currently has a higher winning percentage than Woody Hayes... if he brings home a few more championships he will be just as revered by the OSU faithful. But he has made 2 calls that I just didn't agree with. The aforementioned going for it on 4th and 1 in our own territory (from the coach who plays to punt, and stated the punt is the most important play in football) in the championship game, and when he Put Krenzel back in when they lost to Michigan 4 years ago after Krenzel had been hit so hard he wasn't sure if he even had legs or even where he was... while he was recovering from that McMullen lead the team to a score on the previous drive... When the Bucks got the ball back after stalling Michigan, Krenzel was put back in and led them to a 3 and out series. Granted he deserved the chance, but you could see who was in shape to lead the team on a comeback drive and who wasn't.

All of that aside. It's nice to be a Buckeye fan. This was touted as a rebuilding year, and we're making a run for the championship again... Florida, who was supposed to be re-establishing themselves as a team of prominence, isn't even being discussed at this point.

-BMW2006
Nice reading...well, if you don't like those 2 calls from Tressell, you will never like Les Miles as a coach for buckeyes...

It looks great when it works and when it does not, you are on the chopping block!

Last edited by txusa03; 11-09-2007 at 09:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2007, 08:20 AM   #56
DFW_M
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW2006 View Post

-BMW2006
Nice read indeed.
But I disagree with a few points:

1) 41:14 is more than toying...
2) The Gators lost almost whole defence and 1/2 of the offence this year, and the QB is basically the first time starter this year. I am not sure what you expeceted from them this year, but I definitely did not expect them to repeat last year's success.
3) However, I do expect them to be in the top next two years...

Finally, you're a Buckeye fan, I am a SEC fan. So, lets hope it is LSU - OSU in January, and all dust will be settled...
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2007, 07:30 PM   #57
DFW_M
Major General
Rep

ooopsie-doopsie...Zook did it...
I guess there won't be OSU this year...
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2007, 07:36 PM   #58
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
ooopsie-doopsie...Zook did it...
I guess there won't be OSU this year...

/thread
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2007, 07:39 PM   #59
DFW_M
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Cane View Post

/thread
This year is NUTS!
Missisipi state beat Bama
Zook beat OSU (at home)
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2007, 11:04 PM   #60
djmatty
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 330i; 1999 328i (RIP)

Looks like OSU blew their chance to get smoked in the national championship game.
      11-10-2007, 11:27 PM   #61
Rips335iCoupe
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
I for one wouldn't be raising my OSU flag until they won another championship if they were to get stomped again this year.

Don't worry about getting blown out in the title game this season .... you won't be going!!!

Like I said earlier in this thread .... the Big Ten Sucks .... the Pac-10 and SEC are better.

There is a darkcloud hanging over OSU!!

Last edited by Rips335iCoupe; 11-11-2007 at 07:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2007, 06:26 AM   #62
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rips335iCoupe View Post

Don't worry about getting blown out in the title game this season .... you won't be going!!!

Like I said earlier in this thread .... the Big Ten Sucks .... the Pac-10 and SEC are better.

There is a dardcloud hanging over OSU!!
The Big 12 is the leader of BCS top tens. KU in the title game?
      11-11-2007, 07:20 AM   #63
DFW_M
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
If they beat MIZZ...I say yes!
OK St has to win to go to the Bowl game, so OU may be in trouble...
Not sure about Oregon...
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2007, 08:34 AM   #64
Rips335iCoupe
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post

Strength of Schedule

Kansas # 117
OK # 100
Missouri # 53

Weak schedules, weak league!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2007, 12:55 PM   #65
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rips335iCoupe View Post

There is a darkcloud hanging over OSU!!
That game just proved that the Big Ten is a good conference. If a team like Illinois can march out and take down the number #1 team in the nation and it's division, it just shows how competitive the Big Ten really is. It's no better or worse then the Pac-10 or SEC.

That being said, that game sucked. Oh well. This season's been a crazy ride for everyone and there is still a decent amount of football to be played. Anything can and will happen.

retired 06 E90 325i

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2007, 01:57 PM   #66
Bubbarossa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan

I'm a Big 12 fan, but i have to say (and if you check their schedule), Kansas has to have the weakest schedule by far! As of now, the best team they've played recordwise is Central Michigan at 6-4, followed by Texas A&M at 6-5!!!! I'm not sure how the BCS computers are ranking them so high, probably will hit #3 today, but i can't wait until they play Mizz in couple weeks, then Oklahoma...and THEN Kansas can go join South Florida.

At least Oklahoma has played a couple teams with "real" winning records, Mizz and Texas.
Appreciate 0