New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

12-30-2022, 04:10 PM   #23
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
That wheel/tire combo makes the car for certain, but it can't save the front, and it can't make it a Mustang.

I think people need to get over the "Mustang" thing... It's a new type of branding that other car companies are doing.
I heard Chevy is going to do the same thing with the Corvette soon

BTW, It would spank every Mustang 0-60 except the GT500 and it would be close
Appreciate 2
Efthreeoh16946.00
ggunn9160.00
      12-30-2022, 05:18 PM   #24
StradaRedlands
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.21]
2009 BMW 328i Touri ...  [7.90]
2013 BMW X5 35i  [7.63]
2011 BMW 528i  [8.75]
2006 Mazda3  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hihowareyougood View Post
From what I gather, most people who buy these kinds of cars don't get tired of the acceleration, especially if that's all they've known. ... snip...
From my anecdotal sample of Tesla drivers, most drive them like they are hypermiling a Prius.
I literally scream at them to step on the accelerator and get TF out of my way!
But I have issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
Sure it is. It goes fast in a straight line. Thats basically the ultimate mustang.
Will it plow into people at C&C meetups? Until we see that happen, it is not worthy of the badge!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
interesting, the GT qualified for $7500 in 2021-2022

still curious how someone got $12K???
Some combo of Fed + state?
Appreciate 2
wdb4673.00
________4157.00
      12-30-2022, 05:25 PM   #25
HeelToeShift
Captain
Rep
Drives: Mine

Quote:
pics please!

$12,500 tax credit? wow!!

we get $7,500 in Cali...and that will run out soon

I was very impressed with it and imo it looks way better than the two Tesla SUV models....

they look even better with some better looking wheels, like most cars

I had great luck with my last Ford... 2016 Explorer that had 85,000 flawless miles before I sold it for my Rubicon
Mix of Federal and State incentives. The Purosangue looks very similar in style and dimension.
Attached Images

Last edited by HeelToeShift; 12-30-2022 at 06:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
SoCal_NSX2363.00
      12-30-2022, 06:25 PM   #26
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
I think people need to get over the "Mustang" thing... It's a new type of branding that other car companies are doing.
I heard Chevy is going to do the same thing with the Corvette soon

BTW, It would spank every Mustang 0-60 except the GT500 and it would be close
This is the paradox of Theseus' ship. The original idea of the "Mustang" vehicle is nothing like that of the Mach-E, but since Ford invented it I suppose they can change the idea, but then again, the people that invented the original idea of the Mustang are dead. It's a never ending circle.

I'm old, and pretty set in my ways, so I don't buy this as a Mustang any more than I buy the new Corvette as a Corvette, but that's ok, to each their own. All I was saying is that the original idea of what a Mustang was supposed to be has been long lost.
Appreciate 1
chad86tsi1596.00
      12-30-2022, 06:48 PM   #27
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

Quote:
This is the paradox of Theseus' ship. The original idea of the "Mustang" vehicle is nothing like that of the Mach-E, but since Ford invented it I suppose they can change the idea, but then again, the people that invented the original idea of the Mustang are dead. It's a never ending circle.

I'm old, and pretty set in my ways, so I don't buy this as a Mustang any more than I buy the new Corvette as a Corvette, but that's ok, to each their own. All I was saying is that the original idea of what a Mustang was supposed to be has been long lost.
The mustang II was an attempt to go back to a major element of it's roots, and that was a disaster. Sometimes we can't hold on to stuff, and often we shouldn't try.
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2022, 07:59 PM   #28
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad86tsi View Post
The mustang II was an attempt to go back to a major element of it's roots, and that was a disaster. Sometimes we can't hold on to stuff, and often we shouldn't try.
Stick with what got you to the party, I always say.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 11:06 PM   #29
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
From what I gather, most people who buy these kinds of cars don't get tired of the acceleration, especially if that's all they've known. It's convenient and effortless to utilize that power from a stoplight or freeway onramp for a quick rush, and then back to the speed limit for the rest of the commute. After all, that's what made AMG so exciting - the early AMGs since the 90s were boats, but fast for their time and very fun on highway runs.
Uhh—nobody wanted a SILENT AMG. They had spectacular engines and were built to a huge level of mechanical quality as well.
WolfGTI688.50
      12-31-2022, 12:35 PM   #30
hihowareyougood
Private
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
Uhh—nobody wanted a SILENT AMG. They had spectacular engines and were built to a huge level of mechanical quality as well.
You missed the point but that's okay. Either way, I see Mach-Es on a regular basis these days so there's clearly a market for them. Not quite for me yet, but I'm glad there's diversity in the auto industry.
      12-31-2022, 12:50 PM   #31
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:

I'm old, and pretty set in my ways, so I don't buy this as a Mustang any more than I buy the new Corvette as a Corvette, but that's ok, to each their own. All I was saying is that the original idea of what a Mustang was supposed to be, has been long lost.
I'm old too and grew up in a Ford family and have personally owned 8 Fords since 1978. Having the Ford EV being called a Mustang Mach-E doesn't bother me in the least. It is a business marketing decision, which I understand the basis for the decision. Take one of the company's strongest nameplates to introduce a new EV platform to the market makes sense to me. It gets the most attention.

If I ran GM I'd definitely use Electra as the name for a Buick EV. Charger for Stellinis/Crysler. A lot of well known Ford nameplates are horses. Maybe Futura would have been a good choice, but how many 40 year olds have ever heard of an Australian Ford Futura, or a Falcon Futura (in the US)? Maybe resurface Fusion? Kinda hints electric.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2022, 12:53 PM   #32
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You missed the point but that's okay. Either way, I see Mach-Es on a regular basis these days so there's clearly a market for them. Not quite for me yet, but I'm glad there's diversity in the auto industry.
If the E-Stang didn't have the Tesla dash layout, I'd have looked at it much harder. Not sure why the big tablet screen can't be optional, or at least a plug-in device that can be removed and stored when not needed.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2022, 02:14 PM   #33
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
If the E-Stang didn't have the Tesla dash layout, I'd have looked at it much harder. Not sure why the big tablet screen can't be optional, or at least a plug-in device that can be removed and stored when not needed.
it was much better than the Tesla imo...looked and felt much nicer and it had a speedometer cluster in the right spot, compared to the Model 3 that only has the iPad in the center...I did drive their top of line model so I'm not sure how the other models look/feel in comparison, but I'm sure its comparable
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16946.00
      12-31-2022, 02:15 PM   #34
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelToeShift View Post
Mix of Federal and State incentives. The Purosangue looks very similar in style and dimension.
nice! silver is a nice color on those
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2022, 05:04 PM   #35
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
I'm old too and grew up in a Ford family and have personally owned 8 Fords since 1978. Having the Ford EV being called a Mustang Mach-E doesn't bother me in the least.
Good for you.

Quote:
It is a business marketing decision, which I understand the basis for the decision. Take one of the company's strongest nameplates to introduce a new EV platform to the market makes sense to me. It gets the most attention.
True, and stupid IMO. Same with the new Supra, I feel like it should have been 100% JDM like the originals, but it wasn't the smart play.

Companies have no balls these days.
Appreciate 2
Efthreeoh16946.00
Cos270608.50
      12-31-2022, 05:42 PM   #36
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good for you.

True, and stupid IMO. Same with the new Supra, I feel like it should have been 100% JDM like the originals, but it wasn't the smart play.

Companies have no balls these days.
I have to agree with the Supra. Not sure why BMW had to team up with Toyota to find enough amortization of the engineering for the Z4 by spreading the chassis with the Supra. Not sure who designed either of the Z4 and Supra, but Jeeze are both just POU (plain old ugly). I think there is just too much regulation in the car industry regarding design, which must makes a diversified model lineup hideously expensive to carry.

Worse it drives companies like VW to build 13 cars off of one platform, which is not good for the enthusiast either.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2022, 06:09 PM   #37
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
I have to agree with the Supra. Not sure why BMW had to team up with Toyota to find enough amortization of the engineering for the Z4 by spreading the chassis with the Supra. Not sure who designed either of the Z4 and Supra, but Jeeze are both just POU (plain old ugly). I think there is just too much regulation in the car industry regarding design, which must makes a diversified model lineup hideously expensive to carry.

Worse it drives companies like VW to build 13 cars off of one platform, which is not good for the enthusiast either.
The Supra has grown on me...I hated it at first, but now I kinda like it especially now that they are making a manual version
Appreciate 2
________4157.00
Efthreeoh16946.00
      12-31-2022, 06:15 PM   #38
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

ended up test driving the Model 3 Long Range today and was also very surprised how fast that thing is...not quite as quick as the Mach E GT, but had much better punch at speed than the GT which was amazing off the line but doesn't have the same punch as the Tesla at speed....I want one
Appreciate 1
spidy512491.50
      12-31-2022, 06:39 PM   #39
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

OP I think you need to eat some red meat…

You’re test driving all of these cars and come home wanting one.

Eat a T-bone or a Striploin or something
Appreciate 1
spidy512491.50
      12-31-2022, 07:59 PM   #40
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:

Amen, I hate that quirky Supra styling, but I'm very glad they finally gave it a manual.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16946.00
      01-01-2023, 05:44 AM   #41
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
OP I think you need to eat some red meat…

You’re test driving all of these cars and come home wanting one.

Eat a T-bone or a Striploin or something

haha...yeah, I'm a caraholic...about every two years I start getting the itch again for a new one

I still got the Rubicon for when I want to guzzle gas and the 718 for when I want to rev the shit out of something, but I gotta admit I have been bitten by that instant torque of the two cars I recently test drove
Appreciate 3
Efthreeoh16946.00
________4157.00
      01-01-2023, 08:38 AM   #42
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

This is just a nice wheel upgrade. Stunning when compared to an effing Tesla.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      01-01-2023, 09:21 AM   #43
CarsAndGuitars
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
I'm old too and grew up in a Ford family and have personally owned 8 Fords since 1978. Having the Ford EV being called a Mustang Mach-E doesn't bother me in the least. It is a business marketing decision, which I understand the basis for the decision. Take one of the company's strongest nameplates to introduce a new EV platform to the market makes sense to me. It gets the most attention.

If I ran GM I'd definitely use Electra as the name for a Buick EV. Charger for Stellinis/Crysler. A lot of well known Ford nameplates are horses. Maybe Futura would have been a good choice, but how many 40 year olds have ever heard of an Australian Ford Futura, or a Falcon Futura (in the US)? Maybe resurface Fusion? Kinda hints electric.
But the Explorer ..

is one of the best selling nameplates of all time
has a "future" / "adventure" connotation, a mustang is a wanderer or stray
begins with the letter "E"

Same can be said in a lesser case for the Explorer or Edge, so why whore out the Mustang name on an SUV?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2023, 10:38 AM   #44
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsAndGuitars View Post
But the Explorer ..

is one of the best selling nameplates of all time
has a "future" / "adventure" connotation, a mustang is a wanderer or stray
begins with the letter "E"

Same can be said in a lesser case for the Explorer or Edge, so why whore out the Mustang name on an SUV?
Because the Mustang name carries weight with the target EV audience Ford is trying to reach that doesn't really place much importance on the Mustang you're thinking of, which is the GT, Cobra, Shelby, GT350, etc. Those variants came much later than the 1962 Falcon-based secretary's car. If we are to believe the tea leaves and everything eventually goes electric, the Mach-E sets the stage for a BEV Mustang coupe. The Edge and Explorer just don't have the gravitas of the Mustang nameplate.

Is using the name Mustang any worse than BMW using the name i3, or 330e? The i3 was much farther distant from the legendary 3-Series than the Mustang Mach E is from the legendary Mustang. At least Ford kept it RWD (it could have gone FWD) and offers a high-performance variant under the GT moniker. The i3? LoL. A Greenie ass-kissing enviro eucalyptus wood/milk jug recycled EV. The i4? Same difference.

I just don't understand why this upsets people so much, especially BMW owners that wouldn't give a Ford a second look.

Besides, Volt, Bolt, Ampera, Ampera-e, Electra, and EV1 were already taken.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 01-01-2023 at 11:12 AM..
Appreciate 2