New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

08-02-2021, 03:20 PM   #353
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyn-BMW View Post
I have heard from three different people that have placed an order, months ago, gave a deposit, only to have their new Bronco sold out from under them, to the highest bidder. I myself would not buy this over priced POS! I’ve had two Toyota FJs. One with 105,000 miles, current one has 120,000 miles, with zero problems. And the engines on them are wonderful, as is their off-road performance.
That's not right, but not entirely unexpected.
      08-02-2021, 03:31 PM   #354
Cyn-BMW
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BWM E92 LCI+23 other cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYEIL View Post
Lol ..when is the last time they updated the FJ? Just like Toyota to use engines and tech developed during the dinosaur era. No reason for them not to be reliable and boring.
They have updated them very little. In fact they don’t even make them anymore. Which, I think is great. They are rare and getting more so. They out perform any other stock four wheel drive on road or off road. When I take it to the dealer, they offer to buy it back for more than I paid for it. And, being only 8 years old, it’s hardly dinosaur technology. It can accelerate up fireroads so steep that you can’t even walk up on foot. It cruises on the freeway at 80 while it’s only turning 2000 RPM. I’d be willing to bet it’s engine outperforms either of the Bronco engines. And, it does it without a turbo. We all know how long those last and how expensive they are to replace. Tell me, when’s the last time you spent some time in an FJ?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 04:07 PM   #355
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
my buddy text me the other day that he got the new Bronco, I was thinking oh he got the little sport version then he sent me some pics...I was like what?!!! told him to bring it by ASAP as I have yet to see one in the wild ...

he showed up yesterday in it...parked it next to my Rubi to compare them

not a fan of his mall crawler wheels he got put on, but very impressed with the rest...love it

Love that gray color on your Rubi. Ford has that color but doesn't offer it on the Bronco for MY '21.
Appreciate 1
SoCal_NSX2363.00
      08-02-2021, 04:32 PM   #356
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Walmart and Nordstroms don't make clothes. Ford does make trucks and a shitload of people buy them and repeat buy them. Now you're just nit picking.

A quote from a Bronco forum member regarding the rear seat AC. This from his "One Week in" review of his new 4-door Big Bend:

"The lack of rear vents hasn't been an issue for us, though I'm sure the kids miss having their own climate controls like they had in my Flex and have in our Explorer. The complaints here (i.e. from the Bronco Forum) seem to be loud enough that I can't imagine Ford not addressing it."

His initial impression:

"First of all, this thing is every bit as smooth and drivable on-road as my Flex or my wife's Explorer. It tracks straight and smooth with none of the wallowing or skittering you see with other off-road vehicles. The suspension and "big" tires (non-squatch here) swallow up fairly significant imperfections in the road, even at speed. It's engaging and quite responsive, with good feedback both from underneath in the straits and in the wheel during turns. The turning radius seems a lot tighter than the wide, flat hood would lead on from the driver's seat.

When you put your foot in it, the 2.3L will go. This does NOT feel like some wheezy punishment of a base engine. I doubt any of you selecting the 2.7L will be disappointed, but the 2.3 is beyond adequate. I'm averaging 21 mpg in mostly around town and back country road driving."

So none of that quoted seems to indicate the new Bronco is some POS American manufacturer product that needs a few years of further development time to work the bugs out.

Time will tell, though.
Wow, it tracks straight? What a high bar to set for a brand new car. I'd like to see him say the same things after smashing some trails because that would hold a lot more weight.

I'm not discounting anything from the guy you quoted I just don't think it's got much substance to it. His reported MPG is good for a truck that size, I'll give it that. It looks nice for a Ford and a dogleg 7MT is cool (IIRC you can't order the manual with the bigger engine though?).
2013 335is Mineral/Coral - DR 6466 - DR Mani - PI - Motiv FF - Dodson Clutches - OEM CF Roof - M3 GTS DCT/LSD/DS/Halfshafts/Suspension/Subframe/Brakes/Chassis Bracing F+R - DEFIV Diff Brace - 437M/R888R
2015 X5 35D - 1990 535i [RIP] - 1992 318i Convertible - 2002 540i/6
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 05:14 PM   #357
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
They have updated them very little. In fact they don’t even make them anymore. Which, I think is great. They are rare and getting more so. They out perform any other stock four wheel drive on road or off road. When I take it to the dealer, they offer to buy it back for more than I paid for it. And, being only 8 years old, it’s hardly dinosaur technology. It can accelerate up fireroads so steep that you can’t even walk up on foot. It cruises on the freeway at 80 while it’s only turning 2000 RPM. I’d be willing to bet it’s engine outperforms either of the Bronco engines. And, it does it without a turbo. We all know how long those last and how expensive they are to replace. Tell me, when’s the last time you spent some time in an FJ?
Slow down fanboy. Most of what you’re saying has no factual value.
There is a reason why they don’t make them anymore and the Wrangler continues to be not only one of the best selling vehicles but also has the highest resale value year after year. Personally I have driven an FJ and think they’re boring with no soul. Then again I think that of most Toyota products. Anyway back to Bronco talk.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 06:00 PM   #358
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Plus if you're over about 5'9", you can't see a thing out of an FJ. They make a Camaro seem like a good design.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 03:09 PM   #359
Cyn-BMW
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Plus if you're over about 5'9", you can't see a thing out of an FJ. They make a Camaro seem like a good design.
That’s strange. I have a 6’7” friend from high school and he has no complaints.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 06:35 PM   #360
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Quote:
That’s strange. I have a 6’7” friend from high school and he has no complaints.
He probably can't see out of anything, so it's less of an issue. I'm only 6'2 and my eyes were nearly at the top of the window line with the seat all the way down and the view out of the back was nothing but blind spots. Just an awful car for me, even before driving it, and I had a Miata at the time, so it's not like good visibility was what I was used to.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 08:21 AM   #361
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
He probably can't see out of anything, so it's less of an issue. I'm only 6'2 and my eyes were nearly at the top of the window line with the seat all the way down and the view out of the back was nothing but blind spots. Just an awful car for me, even before driving it, and I had a Miata at the time, so it's not like good visibility was what I was used to.
When someone has an emotional connection to a product it's hard to convince them it's not the best thing since sliced bread. No matter how many facts you throw at them they're always going to say this isnt a problem for them.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 08:42 AM   #362
jmack
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: OG M2, E70 X5M

Quote:
I agree. I've only ridden in an FJ, never driven it, but at 6'3 the visibility even as a passenger is terrible. I was also surprised how cramped the interior is.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 02:19 PM   #363
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i//1995 E34 530i

I had the chance to spend some time behind the wheel of whatever the highest spec of the "Bronco Sport" was when it was released a little less than a year ago. It's a decent car, but I have to say I really wasn't impressed. Dynamics are pretty dull, acceleration is decent, but definitely muted with not a lot of torque at all. Interior was meh, that weird middle ground somewhere between excessive/too many buttons, trying to look luxury or high quality/actually is just plastic crap that looks bad. Besides all the safety, new options, and tech that Ford uses now, although those can be had in any of the vehicles in their line-up.

tl;dr New Bronco isn't anything special. It's going to be the go-to lease for every vanilla, suburbanite teenage girl.

Last edited by Fritzer; 08-04-2021 at 02:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 02:26 PM   #364
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzer View Post
I had the chance to spend some time behind the wheel of whatever the highest spec of the "Bronco Sport" was when it was released a little less than a year ago. It's a decent car, but I have to say I really wasn't impressed. Dynamics are pretty dull, acceleration is decent, but definitely muted with not a lot of torque at all. Interior was meh, that weird middle ground somewhere between excessive/too many buttons, trying to look luxury or high quality/actually is just plastic crap that looks bad. Besides all the safety/new options/tech that Ford has now, although those can be had in any of the vehicles in their line-up.

tl;dr New Bronco isn't anything special. It's going to be the go-to lease for every vanilla, suburbanite teenage girl.
You drove a "Sport", which is based off the Ford Escape, but with a better suspension and 4x4 drivetrain.

The topic of this thread is the new Ford Bronco, body-on-frame SUV truck. The New Bronco is based on the underpinnings of the yet to be released new Ford Ranger. The New Bronco is a unique chassis of its own and is in the same class as the Jeep Wrangler.
Appreciate 3
stein_325i25051.00
Fritzer942.50
jmack548.50
      08-04-2021, 02:32 PM   #365
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
You drove a "Sport", which is based off the Ford Escape, but with a better suspension and 4x4 drivetrain.

The topic of this thread is the new Ford Bronco, body-on-frame SUV truck. The New Bronco is based on the underpinnings of the yet to be released new Ford Ranger. The New Bronco is a unique chassis of its own and is in the same class as the Jeep Wrangler.
I'll stand corrected then. I did not realize that they were two completely different vehicles. What nitwit in Ford's marketing came up with that horrible product structure design? That is akin to calling a X1 a "X5 Sport".
      08-04-2021, 02:33 PM   #366
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Quote:

I'll stand corrected then. I did not realize that they were two completely different vehicles. What nitwit in Ford's marketing came up with that horrible product structure design? That is akin to calling a X1 a "X5 Sport".
Its stupid, but at the same time marketing genius, similar to the Mustang Mach-E which isn't a Mustang but will sell better and for more money because of its Mustang name and badging.
      08-04-2021, 02:37 PM   #367
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
Its stupid, but at the same time marketing genius, similar to the Mustang Mach-E which isn't a Mustang but will sell better and for more money because of its Mustang name and badging.
True, it will certainly be lucrative because you're having people buying what is pretty much a Ford Escape and calling it a Bronco. That brand dilution on "Bronco" will be a bitch though.

"Yes sir, we have two entrees tonight. We have Prime Rib, then we have Prime Rib Sport. The Prime Rib Sport is just hamburger meat, but it's still Prime Rib because we say it is!"
      08-05-2021, 01:08 AM   #368
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
True, it will certainly be lucrative because you're having people buying what is pretty much a Ford Escape and calling it a Bronco. That brand dilution on "Bronco" will be a bitch though.

"Yes sir, we have two entrees tonight. We have Prime Rib, then we have Prime Rib Sport. The Prime Rib Sport is just hamburger meat, but it's still Prime Rib because we say it is!"
If you go the the Ford website for Bronco, the marketing scheme makes more sense. The model name "Bronco" is being repurposed as a brand "family" of "Built Wild" vehicles meant for outdoors, adventurous use. A third model of the Bronco "Built Wild" "Family" will be released that is a pickup version of the Bronco. This is similar in marketing concept as Jeep does with the Wrangler and the Gladiator pickup, and the various unibody chassis based SUVs that carry the "Jeep" branding on them.

The Bronco portion of Ford's website clearly shows two different vehicles for the Bronco and Bronco Sport. Ford clearly provides the distinctions of purpose between the two vehicles. The two different vehicle types do have in common vehicle trim names. As is always the case, the consumer can decide on the level of understanding he has when product shopping.
Appreciate 1
Fritzer942.50
      08-05-2021, 05:58 AM   #369
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When they first released a small Bronco in the 80s it was called the Bronco II. So they’ve not strayed too far away from their history.
Appreciate 2
Fritzer942.50
heavyD^23684.00
      08-05-2021, 06:23 AM   #370
janko990
Macedonia
Rep
Drives: x3 2011 f25 and 420d f32m-pack

That Ford Bronco will be the end of the Jeep Wranger title best offroader.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 07:37 AM   #371
BMWBear
Ultimate Driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by janko990 View Post
That Ford Bronco will be the end of the Jeep Wranger title best offroader.
Stock for stock I doubt it but it is a worthy competitor. Something the Wrangler hasn't seen before in its price range.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 12:56 PM   #372
JasonDot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4, X3 and 330e

Hard top problems?

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 10.55.35 AM.png
Views: 1965
Size:  928.2 KB

https://jalopnik.com/ford-is-embarra...lem-1847485040
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 01:04 PM   #373
Cyn-BMW
Banned
Rep

I got to spend some time with one at the Monterey historic car races this weekend. The build quality of these things is terrible. I’ve never seen an automobile built so poorly. It’s a Lotta glued together plastic.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2021, 02:06 PM   #374
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
I got to spend some time with one at the Monterey historic car races this weekend. The build quality of these things is terrible. I’ve never seen an automobile built so poorly. It’s a Lotta glued together plastic.
I can't comment about the overall build quality as to be honest most of the negatives have been surrounding the roof but this video shows why it may be prudent to avoid the hard top until Webasto gets things right. The 4:58 mark of this video illustrates just how cheap the roof materials are and how shoddy they have been made. That rattle would drive me crazy.

Appreciate 0