New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

03-19-2021, 09:06 AM   #1
Marcoose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 sDrive35is

Steering Wheel Retrimming Shops in America?

Hey, forum. I'm exchanging emails with Control Customs and Royal in the U.K. They're very responsive and patient. But they're in the U.K. And it seems facelift heated wheels aren't easy to come by. Go figure. Does anybody know of a retrimming shop in America? Thanks.
      03-19-2021, 11:10 AM   #2
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

All heated z4 steering wheels are rare to find...
Been somewhat looking for one for a years now...
There are guides out there for e90 owners on how to swap their steering wheels with e89 wheel. So probably 3 series owners are buying them up aswell, so it gets even harder to find one.

Was also looking to get my wheel retrimmed locally. Talked to multiple places that did that work and nobody was willing to guarantee that heating would remain functional afterwards. So i kind of gave up and drove on with wheel i had and time and time again checked the web for a new used wheel. Until a month ago i saw facebook ad for a shop that did interiors. It wasnt in the capital city as most of these shops usually are but on the other side of the country (well for me this is 240km or so away, i live in a small country). Thought whatever i can send them an email with my problem. Probably going to get the same answer again - "cant guarantee heating functionality".
Got a response and was suprised to hear that they have had retrimmed many heated steering wheels and that there are a couple of tricks involved to get old leather off without hurting the heating element.

So today i parked my car in the warehouse, took steering wheel off and sent it to them to get retrimmed. Hope it works and i get back a heated steering wheel with new Nappa leather on it.

Its been a 2 year long saga to find a solution to my aging steering wheel. During that time i have searched internet for a new used wheel... showed my car to multiple shops... and now finally im getting something done about it.
      03-19-2021, 04:15 PM   #3
StLMO
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 M5, 2015 Z4 35is

Garage List
2017 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
2015 BMW Z4 35is  [5.00]
I've contacted craft customs out of Texas before on a project but didn't go through with it before selling the car. Their prices seem reasonable and have some picture on their site of previous work on bmw wheels. I'm not necessarily recommending as I have no first hand experience with their services but offering as an option. I recall turn around time was a couple months, and that was a few years ago.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 04:52 PM   #4
Marcoose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
...on the other side of the country (well for me this is 240km or so away, i live in a small country)
In my country, you could've walked from end to end in less time that it took to read this note.

Yeah, Control Customs say they can easily source a pre facelift heated wheel. But facelift is another story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLMO View Post
I've contacted craft customs out of Texas before on a project but didn't go through with it before selling the car. Their prices seem reasonable and have some picture on their site of previous work on bmw wheels. I'm not necessarily recommending as I have no first hand experience with their services but offering as an option. I recall turn around time was a couple months, and that was a few years ago.
Thanks. None of their pictures have flat bottoms. I want an Audi-style wheel badly.
      03-20-2021, 04:55 AM   #5
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcoose View Post

Yeah, Control Customs say they can easily source a pre facelift heated wheel. But facelift is another story.
OK good to know... If my retrimming happens to go wrong and i lose heating, then i know who to contact.

Though even on pre facelift there are many variations:

Msport wheel or ordinary wheel
heating or no heating.
paddles or manual
and if paddles:
early paddle design or +/- style. (that changed too during production years.)

So to find ordinary or thicker M sport wheel with heating and early style paddles that change gears both ways(they are better than +/- imo) with silver accents on spokes(there are black ones out there aswell) gets incredibly specific. I can imagine to find a find a flat bottom one is probably 2x harder.
      03-20-2021, 08:09 AM   #6
Marcoose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

At Royal, CC and a few other retrimmers, the flat bottom is their specialty. They’ll flat it for you.
Appreciate 0