New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-08-2023, 03:22 PM   #1
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Clothes dryer hose (don't laugh lol)

When I had my dryer installed, the guys just left it like that....what a bunch of lazy bums. Anyway, fast-forward a few years I think maybe there's some blockage as my dryer is not drying as well.

I never cleaned these hoses before, so just wanna make sure and ask some questions:
1. Cut that hose and make it straight as per the red outline?
2. I don't have a leaf blower or vacuum, so just try to dig out whatever lint there is manually? I can stick my hand deep inside the wall and dryer, nothing to watch out for?
3. Should I disconnect both ends or save time and just disconnect one...and, if so, which one?

Not sure if relevant, I live in a condo, so there's no access to the vent outlet to outside.

TIA!
Attached Images

The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 1
ROOFMUNY101.00
      08-08-2023, 03:39 PM   #2
Buug959
Captain
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 335xi E90, GMC Sierra, VW Golf

First of all that hose is NOT recommended for dryer vents! It is not safe because of the heat. It is for bath fans.
The best pipe is rigid metal pipe and adjustable elbows. They are a PITA to work with though.
The next best choice is flexible aluminum pipe. Its easy to work with and cuts with good kitchen scissors or a sharp utility knife. Here's a good one from HD.
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/dun...oot/1000502343
Keep the pipe as short and straight as possible but leave enough so you can get behind the dryer when needed.
You should be able to reach into the pipe in the wall but if you encounter any kind of flap don't try to reach past it. You may get caught and that would be an embarrassing call to 911. Same goes for cleaning the dryer outlet.
AmuroRay2282.50
      08-08-2023, 03:55 PM   #3
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buug959 View Post
First of all that hose is NOT recommended for dryer vents! It is not safe because of the heat. It is for bath fans.
The best pipe is rigid metal pipe and adjustable elbows. They are a PITA to work with though.
The next best choice is flexible aluminum pipe. Its easy to work with and cuts with good kitchen scissors or a sharp utility knife. Here's a good one from HD.
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/dun...oot/1000502343
Keep the pipe as short and straight as possible but leave enough so you can get behind the dryer when needed.
You should be able to reach into the pipe in the wall but if you encounter any kind of flap don't try to reach past it. You may get caught and that would be an embarrassing call to 911. Same goes for cleaning the dryer outlet.
(Argh, working on the phone still isn't as efficient as on the PC...I could easily attach a pic in the OP but somehow it's not working on this post.)

Tx for your advice and the heads-up about any flaps, ya, that would be embarrassing haha. Actually, the hose is good/suitable, but ofc it's not ideal vs solid piping, but anyway, that's what I have to work w...
Attached Images

The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 03:56 PM   #4
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
There are professionals that specialize in cleaning ducts. Maybe they can help clean the in-wall part that you can't access?????
      08-08-2023, 03:58 PM   #5
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
There are professionals that specialize in cleaning ducts. Maybe they can help clean the in-wall part that you can't access?????
Tx, that's what I just suggested to management. In the meantime, I'll do my best to see if I can solve this slight prb/do some basic maintenance.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615278.50
      08-08-2023, 04:00 PM   #6
Buug959
Captain
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
(Argh, working on the phone still isn't as efficient as on the PC...I could easily attach a pic in the OP but somehow it's not working on this post.)

Tx for your advice and the heads-up about any flaps, ya, that would be embarrassing haha. Actually, the hose is good/suitable, but ofc it's not ideal vs solid piping, but anyway, that's what I have to work w...
I deal with this on a regular basis and I definitely would NOT use that on any dryer, despite their claims on the package. It's your call though. Good luck.
      08-08-2023, 04:05 PM   #7
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buug959 View Post
I deal with this on a regular basis and I definitely would NOT use that on any dryer, despite their claims on the package. It's your call though. Good luck.
Ya, I hear ya, but considering my parents had vinyl piping ages ago and we didn't get burned down, I'll take my chances.

Srsly, though, did something happen w my type of hose? Was it due to negligence (ppl not cleaning them) or it just caused prbs by itself?
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615278.50
      08-08-2023, 04:10 PM   #8
Buug959
Captain
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Ya, I hear ya, but considering my parents had vinyl piping ages ago and we didn't get burned down, I'll take my chances.

Srsly, though, did something happen w my type of hose? Was it due to negligence (ppl not cleaning them) or it just caused prbs by itself?
I've seen it melted and scorched too many times to count. And it was usually knotted up just like your photo.
      08-08-2023, 04:20 PM   #9
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
I am considering switching to a GE profile ventless washer dryer for safety reasons.
Appreciate 3
Buug95917409.50
dradernh4413.00
      08-08-2023, 04:28 PM   #10
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Dryer ducts should be professionally cleaned every 3-4 years unless it is really lightly used. I have someone come to the house and our condo association hires someone for the whole building to help mitigate the risk of burning the building down from one condo owner's neglect. These guys usually have recommended dryer vent ducts that can install for you.

You won't be able to reach everything and you might just compact debris by trying to DIY using a leaf blower or similar. No harm trying to dig out what you can by hand, but that isn't enough.
cmyx6go15761.00
Llarry15969.50
Buug95917409.50
      08-08-2023, 04:48 PM   #11
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
I am considering switching to a GE profile ventless washer dryer for safety reasons.
Whoa, they have those, as it there is no need for hot air outlet?

Ya, the way they have it rn is just an accident waiting to happen (albeit not likely knock wood unless one's super-careless), just a pita to have to maintain.
Appreciate 1
c1pher4671.50
      08-08-2023, 05:19 PM   #12
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Wow that is a brutal install, it should be as straight as possible, those bends are going to collect lint

Use the rigid steel vent line, do it right once
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2023, 05:24 PM   #13
Fredcohiba
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 xDrive30i

When sticking your hand in the open orifice, watch out for vent mounting screws that may be protruding into the hole. I speak from experience…
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2023, 05:29 PM   #14
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Do get (borrow, rent, buy) a shop vac and suck out as much lint from the wall vent as possible - but could be that the rat's nest tubing caught most of it early. You can feed the hose up the vent pipe pretty far. Same for inside the dryer, get as much out as you can. It will eventually build up enough that it really can (often does) catch on fire. They make these L-bend units for the back of the dryer to manage offsets that are like this (just a random listing, can't vouch for this particular item): https://www.simsupply.com/categories...%7C%20%2415.18

They are hard to connect, and I think something like this would help (those crimped male pipe ends nver just slip into their receiving pipe - nothing is truly round or straight, and you'll need 4-foot arms to make it work):
https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/sear...erOfResults=25
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2023, 06:21 PM   #15
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Just pay someone to do it. Clogged dryer vents are a huge fire hazard. I did mine a few months ago. $200. They cleaned inside the dryer, the hoses leading from the dryer and all the way to outside. Small price to pay for peace of mind.
Esteban43748.00
Buug95917409.50
vreihen1615278.50
      08-08-2023, 06:32 PM   #16
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

"Rat's nest" LOL....maybe it's a blessing in disguise catching all that lint probably lmao. Tx guys for all your advice. I will disassemble and check it out.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 06:36 PM   #17
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

For under $30 you can get a dryer vent cleaning kit at Home Depot or Lowes. But since you can’t get to the outside vent, it might not help much.

Considering the comments already made and my own experiences, I would:
1. Remove the existing flexible vent pipe and toss it.
2. Use a vacuum to clean out the dryer in and around the vent.
3. Use the vacuum to clean as much of the vent to outside as you can reach. If the vacuum lets you use it as a blower (shop vacs typically do, and they’re not very expensive), after vacuuming it out, then blow it out.
4. Replace the flex pipe with something appropriate for a dryer. A lot of heat goes through there, and if there is an obstruction heat + lint = fire. So get the right stuff or hire it done right. Fewer bends gives better flow and fewer places for lint to collect.

We bought a LG ventless stack washer/dryer earlier this year and I really like it. And I hate vents (entry point for bugs and rodents) too.
Appreciate 2
Buug95917409.50
      08-08-2023, 06:42 PM   #18
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

OT but how do the ventless dryers work? (Too lazy to google...) Yup, I repeat, hate this inconvenience worrying about fire hazards, doing troublesome maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 07:39 PM   #19
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
OT but how do the ventless dryers work? (Too lazy to google...) Yup, I repeat, hate this inconvenience worrying about fire hazards, doing troublesome maintenance.
A tube exits out the back of the dryer unit and drains water into the same drain into which the washer drains. In the case of our Miele dryer, it can, alternatively, collect the water in a easily-accessed front container that you remove from the dryer and empty wherever you choose.

AFAIK, there are a couple of types of these units: heat pump units and condenser units. I think this likely explains the difference better than I can: https://www.canstarblue.com.au/appli...ndenser-dryer/.

We had an Asko condenser dryer that was still going strong when we sold the home 17 years after installing it. In our new home, we chose a Miele heat pump dryer as during the pandemic the Asko we would have chosen was on indefinite backorder.

The wife said, naturally: "I'm not waiting!" Just kidding – the Miele was an obvious alternative.

Pro tip: The pricing of European and Scandinavian washers and dryers are not for the faint of heart. Forgetting the cost, if you can, the units basically last 15-20 years no problem, so there's that. If you do consider buying one, read the manual ahead of time! These are very involved units. I'm serious: they'll walk your dog for you if you can figure out how to access the hidden menu.
Appreciate 3
Buug95917409.50
2000cs3502.50
      08-08-2023, 10:07 PM   #20
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Whoa, they have those, as it there is no need for hot air outlet?

Ya, the way they have it rn is just an accident waiting to happen (albeit not likely knock wood unless one's super-careless), just a pita to have to maintain.
Yes and doesn’t even require 240, runs on a regular 110 outlet. The GE model is different since it actually uses a heat pump and recycles the hot air to dry clothes faster. A typical load can be done in just over two hours from wash to dry. They are designed to be stacked for larger families who need to run multiple loads at once and the power outlets in that config can be setup up to use the existing 240 outlet.
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2023, 10:16 PM   #21
spazzz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi MHD&XHP,2013 X1 35i

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/...AC_SL1500_.jpg

This offset aluminum type is what we have and it works like a champ.

Somewhat a challenge to connect but doable. A little patience goes a long way.
Appreciate 3
2000cs3502.50
shawnhayes1834.00
      08-08-2023, 11:50 PM   #22
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzz View Post
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/...AC_SL1500_.jpg

This offset aluminum type is what we have and it works like a champ.

Somewhat a challenge to connect but doable. A little patience goes a long way.
Ok, several ppl are recommending this or something similar: but they still require maintenance or I don't need to worry anymore?
Appreciate 0