New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

06-14-2020, 05:31 AM   #1
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

Dash rattle/squeak passenger side A pillar/ glovebox

Time to ask for help.

My passenger side dash corner squeaks or rattles when driving on ruffer roads.
At first it did it on very bad roads only. Like a single piece of road that was really ruff. Did not drive on that road often so did not care about finding a fix.

After installing V3 suspension it started to rattle almost all the time. suspension was too stiff.

I have turned my suspension softer. It is more comfortable now and in the settings i like. Dash squeak doesnt happen that often anymore but its still worse than in the beginning.

Also got some noise dampening material, took apart A pillar trim and added it where ever i could. Result. A bit better but still i hear noises.

So I think its time to ask if someone has had same type of problem and found a fix for it that i could try...

On more thing i have noticed is that it rattles when the roof is up. When i drive top down i dont hear it , notice it. Roof up i get annoyed by it. Roof adjustment question has come to mind when taking that information into account. Is that possible? Roof when locked adding tension to a pillar and so on? My roof does not rattle from anywhere else.

Any help, ideas would be much appreciated. Time to get rid of that rattle for good!
      07-12-2020, 07:18 PM   #2
AM26
Lithuania
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW Z4 sDrive35is

I have been fighting with the interior rattles during this whole quarantine thing so maybe I can help you. The interior of the Z4 is small so it might be hard and tricky to track down where the sound is really coming from. I've added some felt tape where the dashboard touches with the A pillar. That worked for me. Also check if that sound does not come from the sunvisor rattling against the plastic trim above it. Flip them both down and see if the sound is still there. If no, then just stick a small felt pad on your sunvisor so it won't rattle. You can also try to roll the windows down just a bit so they don't touch the seals around them and see if you still hear the sound. If no, then apply some rubber grease to the seals. The rattles may also be coming from the part where the A pillar connects with the plastic trim in the middle (the one that may be rattling against the sunvisor) you can try to add some felt tape there too. If the sound is still there you can take out the plastic thing on the side of the dashboard (you can see it when you open the door) and see if there is something that may be causing the rattles. If you suspect something just stick some felt tape on those surfaces to prevent them from rubbing. If it's not possible, spray some dry lubricant on those surfaces. Also you can spray it on all the hinges of the glovebox, maybe the rattles are coming from there somewhere. I hope this will help you to fix the problem.
Appreciate 1
KennyP137.50
      07-15-2020, 08:29 AM   #3
tintoverano
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: z4 E89 sDrive 23i

you can try this too, similar to using felt tape
Appreciate 1
KennyP137.50