New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

06-19-2020, 03:35 AM   #1
helmybd2
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 35is

256GB USB-Drive support

I tried to find the maximum supported USB-Drive capacity in the manual but it is not available anywhere.

I am planning on adding up all my music collection on a 256GB USD drive and use it on my car but I don’t want to have a costly trial since I don’t know if it will work on the car.

Please let me know your experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 10:51 AM   #2
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

Hmm I have Z4-s i think it was 10gb hard drive filled to the max with all the albums i had on itunes... Foldered at first by artist then by album names in artists folder.
And at first i did use it to search for songs. In some time your top listened songs list develops and after that i rarely go searching in the file system because its just to much work. I also have 8gb Usb that has like 6 new albums on it with tons of space to spare. This setup is more than enough for me
Of course on top of this i have AUX in to my iphone and play youtube on it. I have many playlists with thousands of songs on my youtube account that i started in 2008. So thats extra. And i can search for what ever i want. EEven playlists made by someone else. and I have a playlist called Z4 where i can add songs that i want to play in my car from my TV, PC, Laptop etc. Later hook my phone up in the car choose that playlist and there you go.

Now 256gb of mp3s is like 5000 songs. Even if you could hook such a storage up to your car it must be a pain to search through all of it with the idrive wheel. Usb does not have top played songs function either like the built in hard drive does.

Maybe so much storage makes sense if you are going to have all your music in lossless codec like wav, flac. Dont remember what codecs idrive supported but it wasnt all of them and if you went too high with the bitrate it could not play the file either. Albums that i added in lossless codec actually didnt really sound any better. Had too much bass in the car and for me seemed not worth the hassle. I have HIFI Professional sound in my car.

Lately i have been making Dvds with music videos to play in the car. Coded video in motion and now this is what is playing half the time in my car. One dvd can hold around 30 music videos. And you can change between them by choosing another chapter from the options menu.

Last edited by KennyP; 06-19-2020 at 11:00 AM..
Appreciate 0