New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

02-15-2019, 03:28 PM   #1
LordLolzeye
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89 3.0i 2011

Retrofitting CIC

Hello everyone,

I would like to take on a side project, to retrofit CIC on my Z4.
Has anyone did this or find a guide on how to do this?

Right now, I am at the "drawing board" status, came up with the following plan:
1. Remove the console between the passanger seats so I can add the wiring and the "remote knob"
2. Remove the CCC controler
3. Remove the top storage space and place the screen
4. Link the screen to the CIC controler
5. <TODO> <- Gotta find out how to get cables for the parking sensors (and camera) from the back and from the front of the vehicle to the CIC

As well, is anyone selling a CIC system? knob + controller + screen + wiring + parking sensors & camera (please message me!)
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 07:56 AM   #2
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

Not really sure what you currently have but I'm not aware of CCC in an e89 Z4. If you don't have CIC iDrive then you'll have a Professional standard head unit that you'll also need to replace.
If you buy a ready made retrofit kit then you're looking at $2000 plus. Its straight forward to fit everything but a lit of hassle to sort all the options out.

Another option is the addition of the new Android touchscreen unit that sits where the iDrive screen fits and connects into the car's existing radio system, all for around $700 and its plug-n-play
Attached Images

Last edited by DavesZed; 02-16-2019 at 10:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 12:29 PM   #3
LordLolzeye
Enlisted Member
Rep

This android screen looks amazing, any clue where to get it from?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 01:35 PM   #4
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordLolzeye View Post
This android screen looks amazing, any clue where to get it from?
Take a look at this thread.... https://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1558926

As I see you are in Romania then AVIN USA may not be the best place for you to buy it (not that theirs is actually on sale just yet), then a-carnavi.com will probably be better for you, but I am told that they have European distributers.
It's a bit of wait and see as the manufacture (a-carnavi) isn't actually advertising it just yet.

I will be having one of these units, I'm currently talking to them to have one as soon as possible and will be producing a How-To guide and video for it, hopefully within the next month or so. So if you can wait for a little bit longer then I'll be supplying as much info as you could possibly want

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 05:07 PM   #5
LordLolzeye
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesZed View Post
Take a look at this thread.... https://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1558926

As I see you are in Romania then AVIN USA may not be the best place for you to buy it (not that theirs is actually on sale just yet), then a-carnavi.com will probably be better for you, but I am told that they have European distributers.
It's a bit of wait and see as the manufacture (a-carnavi) isn't actually advertising it just yet.

I will be having one of these units, I'm currently talking to them to have one as soon as possible and will be producing a How-To guide and video for it, hopefully within the next month or so. So if you can wait for a little bit longer then I'll be supplying as much info as you could possibly want

Oh ok, great! Well, I guess I'll just wait another month and decide then if I should retrofit or just get an android tablet . Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 02:29 PM   #6
Bonnygator
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 Z4 sDrive23i

Quote:
Not really sure what you currently have but I'm not aware of CCC in an e89 Z4. If you don't have CIC iDrive then you'll have a Professional standard head unit that you'll also need to replace.
If you buy a ready made retrofit kit then you're looking at $2000 plus. Its straight forward to fit everything but a lit of hassle to sort all the options out.

Another option is the addition of the new Android touchscreen unit that sits where the iDrive screen fits and connects into the car's existing radio system, all for around $700 and its plug-n-play
My utmost apologies for high jacking this thread, but I'm wondering what you mean by 'Professional standard head unit'? My E89 comes with the iDrive system, which on the options list I believe is called 'Professional navigation'. Comparing with pictures online has lead me to believe I have CIC, but apparently that might not be the case?
I'm just a bit confused, just got my 23i and trying to make sense of the options it has
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 03:36 PM   #7
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnygator View Post
My utmost apologies for high jacking this thread, but I'm wondering what you mean by 'Professional standard head unit'? My E89 comes with the iDrive system, which on the options list I believe is called 'Professional navigation'. Comparing with pictures online has lead me to believe I have CIC, but apparently that might not be the case?
I'm just a bit confused, just got my 23i and trying to make sense of the options it has
Hi,
If you have nav then you have CIC.
All the head units were called Professional for the e89, and you have Pro Nav (Professional Navigation)
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 05:20 PM   #8
Bonnygator
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 Z4 sDrive23i

Quote:
Hi,
If you have nav then you have CIC.
All the head units were called Professional for the e89, and you have Pro Nav (Professional Navigation)
CIC it is then, thanks!
Appreciate 0