New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Closed Thread

12-25-2020, 10:40 AM   #45
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E82 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Boost View Post
It's evidence that people don't give 2 shits about exterior design in an automobile.
Let's see how many people buy the new butt-ugly 3er/4er.
Vivek.1363.50
      12-25-2020, 10:55 AM   #46
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
On second thought, I already tried to buy a Tesla . . . Roof.

Two-years ago, when we were starting construction on our new house, I contacted Tesla for information and pricing on their roof system. They told me it wasn't offered in Virginia yet. I asked for an estimate of cost based on my roof. They told me they couldn't even tell me that. They then asked me to send them $1000 and they would let me know when it would be available. I asked if they couldn't just give me a ball-park estimate and they said not now. I asked when. They said "Don't know". I said that now would be a good time to know at least for pricing since we would be starting from scratch—all new construction. They said it didn't make any difference because their price included the removal of the old roof.

But, but, but . . . .

I gave up. Their roofing system may still not available in Virginia and I understand they're being sued over it in CA where it has been available for a bit. Catching fire. Unethical loan practices, etc.

So, still, "Never".
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 10:57 AM   #47
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1racer View Post
Let's see how many people buy the new butt-ugly 3er/4er.
In all fairness, it's really only "face" ugly. The butt is fine!

Remember, "You'll get used to it!"
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 11:24 AM   #48
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick3753 View Post
Other than the Camaro, Mustang and Challenger, does anyone make them anymore?
Nope. Shrinking market with few competitors. Opportunity to shine?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 01:58 PM   #49
Eternalthinker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
On second thought, I already tried to buy a Tesla . . . Roof.

Two-years ago, when we were starting construction on our new house, I contacted Tesla for information and pricing on their roof system. They told me it wasn't offered in Virginia yet. I asked for an estimate of cost based on my roof. They told me they couldn't even tell me that. They then asked me to send them $1000 and they would let me know when it would be available. I asked if they couldn't just give me a ball-park estimate and they said not now. I asked when. They said "Don't know". I said that now would be a good time to know at least for pricing since we would be starting from scratch—all new construction. They said it didn't make any difference because their price included the removal of the old roof.

But, but, but . . . .

I gave up. Their roofing system may still not available in Virginia and I understand they're being sued over it in CA where it has been available for a bit. Catching fire. Unethical loan practices, etc.

So, still, "Never".
It is their business model. Like it or not, it helped them stay afloat by using cash from deposit holders to get them through tough times. Keep in mind, this was interest free loan to them.....a gofundme in mass scale. It worked for them and they have a lot of people willing to put money down. I was told I could get on the list for the Tesla Roadster by putting down 40k+ and the car will be produced in 2021 (this was when I picked uo my Model X in 2018). By this time, I was already losing confidence in the company being able to produce the cars with quality control in mind. I passed.

As a commuter car, I say it will do its job. My son uses his Model 3 as a daily and couldn't be bothered by the service issues.
      12-25-2020, 02:39 PM   #50
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

"When you will buy a Tesla?"

NEVER!
Appreciate 2
..Rush..973.50
swanson733.00
      12-25-2020, 03:15 PM   #51
dvq
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Competition

I bought a model 3 a year before I bought an M4. Both have been unreliable — but I like them both.
Appreciate 2
overcoil3068.50
      12-25-2020, 06:32 PM   #52
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

The largest detractor for me would be without a doubt the quality and reliability issues... I also do not like the goofy look nor basic lack of common sense interface... a model 3 with no center dash? cmon
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 10:43 PM   #53
MisterF80M3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I guess I'm the minority here. I am planning to get the model Y since the F80 is not suitable for me as a daily driver.

My friend is an engineer for Tesla and he has a Model 3 that is quicker than the production models. I am sold on that raw power. It feels quicker than my F80 with 600WHP.
      12-26-2020, 11:33 AM   #54
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgpalmer71 View Post
Roughly 2 years from now if all goes to plan. When my daughter graduates highschool there will either be a new Model 3 performance or a used Model S in my garage......right between my E93 and my pretty cherry 1995 Lexus LS400. I can and will have a charger in which ever garage bay I decide is dedicated to the Tesla. I took a road trip with a friend in their Model 3 last year. I've been concerned about the charging time on road trips.....it wasn't an issue. We stopped to eat, just like I would've in my ICE vehicle, and by the time we were done so was the charging session....about 25 min or so.
The range stuff is a none issue for MOST people. My long range Model 3 does like 300 miles on a full charge. However like with a regular car that's assuming you are not flooring it all the time etc. Also I almost never charge it to 100%. So typically it sits around 250 miles. I can go anywhere I normally go to and never have to charge outside my garage. Even the furthest I go which is about an hour each way I don't have to recharge.

The few times I have used superchargers they are super convenient and FAST. There is one in this plaza I frequent. I will put it to charge go get lunch and by the time I'm back 15-30min it has typically added 100-150+ miles of range (depending on how many people are there, how low I am etc).
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
      12-26-2020, 02:52 PM   #55
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Never? The brand does nothing for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 03:18 PM   #56
syd34
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i GC

Garage List
I would not say never but it is highly unlikely that I will buy a Tesla vehicle any time in the near future. There are a couple of reasons:

1. Having been driven around in a Model 3 for a day by a co-worker, it is very obvious that the build quality and fit and finish just doesn't compare to any luxury vehicle in its class. Having owned two Lexus vehicles and now my F36, the Model 3 interior is a big downgrade.

2. Yes, the car has amazing tech but it is not a must have for me

3. Maybe I'm getting old but having grown up lusting after the original 850i, the E34, E39, E30, E46, various 911 models, C-Class, S Class etc. my passion for these brands run deep and Tesla, while very impressive, does nothing for me. My lust for BMW, MB and Porsche is 30 years in the making.

I appreciate that Tesla is pushing other companies to innovate in terms of tech and electrification and we need them in the industry. However, the brand is just not for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 03:19 PM   #57
Machinebuilder
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640 IX GT

I think the numbers speak for themselves. I wonder if hard core BMW fans will buy a electric 3 series for example. I just bought a electric Toyota Prius Prime as a spare car and kept my BMW 440IX 6 mt for now and am impressed with electric car ownership. Electric cars are zippy and fun and frugal. I think that is the future and its coming fast.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 03:43 PM   #58
swanson
Convicted Felon
Rep
Drives: chariot

Couldnt pay me to drive a tesla
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 05:40 PM   #59
fgpalmer71
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Genesis sedan 3.8 AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
The range stuff is a none issue for MOST people. My long range Model 3 does like 300 miles on a full charge. However like with a regular car that's assuming you are not flooring it all the time etc. Also I almost never charge it to 100%. So typically it sits around 250 miles. I can go anywhere I normally go to and never have to charge outside my garage. Even the furthest I go which is about an hour each way I don't have to recharge.

The few times I have used superchargers they are super convenient and FAST. There is one in this plaza I frequent. I will put it to charge go get lunch and by the time I'm back 15-30min it has typically added 100-150+ miles of range (depending on how many people are there, how low I am etc).
Yes, that road trip put the range anxiety to bed. All of the build quality complaints seem to be slightly blown out of proportion in my estimation....especially now....and especially when I compare it to the few, real start up auto manufacturers that have come up in my lifetime. I've driven a Fisker years ago when they came out. I remember being a kid when my uncle brought home one of the first Hyundai's to be sold in NYC, I recall yugos (not sure if that was a truly new car company at that time). What I saw from Tesla's when they first came out can't be compared to any of those. From my vantage point they're continually improving. Fight as one may I'm of the opinion resistance is futile. Kinda like when the ICE engine took over for steam! History has a way of repeating itself. When I run the numbers, maintenance costs, fuel, etc......it's a no brainer for me personally. I love my cars almost as much as I love my money. It seems like I'll be saving dough in the long run and I'll be enjoying the drive every time I'm behind the wheel. They work for me.
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2020, 05:50 PM   #60
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3, E46, G80

when they look better, with higher quality, better fit n finish, and 500+ range..... so...... likely ..... never

??
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 08:54 PM   #61
hdahman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5MC

i will never get a full electric car unless there is no gas on earth anymore. though I like the electric/gas concept but their electric charge is a joke nowadays.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 11:36 PM   #62
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Yes, that road trip put the range anxiety to bed. All of the build quality complaints seem to be slightly blown out of proportion in my estimation....especially now....and especially when I compare it to the few, real start up auto manufacturers that have come up in my lifetime. I've driven a Fisker years ago when they came out. I remember being a kid when my uncle brought home one of the first Hyundai's to be sold in NYC, I recall yugos (not sure if that was a truly new car company at that time). What I saw from Tesla's when they first came out can't be compared to any of those. From my vantage point they're continually improving. Fight as one may I'm of the opinion resistance is futile. Kinda like when the ICE engine took over for steam! History has a way of repeating itself. When I run the numbers, maintenance costs, fuel, etc......it's a no brainer for me personally. I love my cars almost as much as I love my money. It seems like I'll be saving dough in the long run and I'll be enjoying the drive every time I'm behind the wheel. They work for me.
I agree about the build quality. Soooo many people (who don't own one btw) complain about build quality. I was totally expecting mine to be delivered in pieces from what I had read. No issues. The only thing I noticed is slightly larger body gaps in some places that only an enthusiast would notice. No paint issues, no rattles, everything feels solid etc. Now I bought mine used a 2018 so maybe the previous owner had all the issues fixed, but I doubt it. My friend has also had a 2018 I think since just about when it came out and he hasn't had any build quality issues worth noting.

That being said I definitely find the service center experience sub par not only compared to other luxury brands, but even service at my local ford dealer was better. They do offer a mobile tech for some stuff which I do like. Had them come to my house and install 2 new tires when a pothole took them out and I believe they do more technical stuff also (just haven't needed it). Simplest process ever. Hopefully won't need it much though.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 08:33 AM   #63
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Roughly 2 years from now if all goes to plan. When my daughter graduates highschool there will either be a new Model 3 performance or a used Model S in my garage......right between my E93 and my pretty cherry 1995 Lexus LS400. I can and will have a charger in which ever garage bay I decide is dedicated to the Tesla. I took a road trip with a friend in their Model 3 last year. I've been concerned about the charging time on road trips.....it wasn't an issue. We stopped to eat, just like I would've in my ICE vehicle, and by the time we were done so was the charging session....about 25 min or so.
I never understand this, when I travel with my ICE I decide when and where I want to eat and the gas station is never considered. With a Tesla it seems like the opposite, you decide when you will stop based on range and available chargers and deal with eating with as far as you can walk. I live near a Supercharger, it is at Target, if you are coming down I-71 and decide to recharge there you can eat at Target or I-Hop or need to walk at least a half mile for other options. Not even close to the same experience as it would be in an ICE.
      12-28-2020, 08:41 AM   #64
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousefarmer View Post
When would any of you buy a Tesla? What needs to happen for that to happen?

For me its when the price goes down and the weight of the vehicle goes down to be similar to gas cars. I have no brand loyalty for any brand.
Why is the bolded criteria sufficient for a Tesla vehicle, but not necessarily an EV from another automaker? The question is especially poignant given your claimed brand agnosticism.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 08:56 AM   #65
9M71
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

Thinking about pulling the trigger on a Model Y within the next few months. Any tips/tricks with regards to finding the best deal when looking for a Tesla? Or is the price, the price?

I would not be opposed to a slightly used model but that will probably be hard to snatch up on the Y's.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2020, 08:59 AM   #66
fgpalmer71
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Genesis sedan 3.8 AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
I never understand this, when I travel with my ICE I decide when and where I want to eat and the gas station is never considered. With a Tesla it seems like the opposite, you decide when you will stop based on range and available chargers and deal with eating with as far as you can walk. I live near a Supercharger, it is at Target, if you are coming down I-71 and decide to recharge there you can eat at Target or I-Hop or need to walk at least a half mile for other options. Not even close to the same experience as it would be in an ICE.
Again, my long range experience was limited to this 1 road trip from Southern Indiana to Atlanta and back. Each charging station we stopped at was in a larger strip mall area. With several restaurants within spitting distance. The trip was free, which I found to be pretty dang cool as well.
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25051.00
Closed Thread