New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-19-2022, 02:04 PM   #67
kring
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 M550i Dinan S1, 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin_83 View Post
PS- I do think that there are aliens, do they visit us, probably? But why have they not made 'contact'?
how much time do you spend trying to make contact with the slugs behind your garage? if you flew over the jungle, would you stop to chat with a python or just think nothing of it, it's just a snake. if you took your spaceship to an alien planet and saw squirl-like creatures running around... would you land to engage them in formal communication?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 02:07 PM   #68
Watching The World Burn
Lengthy but not a Girthy Member
Rep
Drives: 1971 Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post
She actually still does and constantly asks for more chances. Quit drinking and is doing some sort of therapy to prove she can solve it.
Yeah....but....despite the daddy issues and the resulting "drive", do you really really really want another large piano in your home?

I actually do recall you mentioning that now though...she has asked for additional opportunities. Course, if there is a next time, maybe it won't be a phone...she could go all Lorena Bobbitt on you.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 02:15 PM   #69
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by kring View Post
for example, the most common is light is made of photons - well likely not actually. That's only how we like to explain it... it's more probable light is an electromagnetic wave traveling like a ripple in a pond across dark mater/energy and not a particle that gets shot out which hits your eye or a wall to see it.

I believe you're mixing/confusing a function of a particle with the identification of a particle.

Photons are particles.
Light is a wave.

Electromagnetism is a Force.
Forces affect particles.

Everything we know of is a wave, in the sense that motion/vibration/actions/etc can be represented as a 2d wave. If we're defining a wave as motion over time. The exception to this is Absolute Zero, and is the basis for for it.
Motion is out human defining characteristic for all things. If we can't quantify motion, we have no real classification for it or can't find it. This may be where the quandary of dark matter falls. Think of it as a maze in a pitch black room and you have to walk through it. You bump into things, you don't know what they are but you know it was there.
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2022, 04:24 PM   #70
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
I face a real dichotomy… I totally believe that some of the stuff that we’re seeing in the sky is extraterrestrial, but then again I also believe that it’s virtually impossible to go faster than the speed of light and everything is so far away I can understand why we really haven’t been visited….So I’m in a quandary
As far as humans know...
Appreciate 2
minn1913970.00
      05-19-2022, 04:37 PM   #71
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
As far as humans know...
Exactly. The first step towards enlightenment is to stop thinking w our limited human monkey brains. That's why I chuckle whenever ppl say there are only X amount of Earth-like planets out there so life is limited to that, but perhaps other intelligent lifeforms could exist living in lava, poisonous gases, acid, etc.

The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 09:12 PM   #72
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
If they are living among us, I'd suggest starting the search for ET at Wal-Mart.....
Or Washington DC.

I mean all aliens, not just ET.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 10:36 PM   #73
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

If an alien civilization visited Earth, it is almost 99.99% certainly an unaliened drone/probe/robot like we send out.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 06:56 PM   #74
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Quote:
Nearly all of the tens of thousands of sightings are proven hoaxes or have valid reasons. there are some that are generally unexplainable, and they will likely remain that way... but there are a lot of natural phenomenon that can cause some of that. The majority of the ones that look like real objects doing odd things are in all likelihood human made... (sticking with facts, probability and science) there are cutting edge experiments that can't be disclosed that all of these point to. US, China are likely the two the majority of these come from. I have no doubts that both US & China have begun to crack some of the possibilities of anti-gravity and optical & atmospherically distortion and such. the things that would make these sightings occur.

you gotta test it somewhere! and with so many boats, plans and people it's hard to keep it completely hidden.

to others point... not a SINGLE photo or video that is able to be seen or validated that makes you say "yup, that's legit alien"
They're not hidden, there is alot of footage and pictures. Try taking an action shot of a strobing object flying at Mach in the skies 10 miles or more away accelerating crazy with a cheap phone camera.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 07:16 PM   #75
3.0L
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
If they are living among us, I'd suggest starting the search for ET at Wal-Mart.....
They're much easier to find in the DC area.

Aliens, that is.

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 05:17 PM   #76
Manny01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2

This has probably been said already but I’m not reading this entire thread:

1. Do I believe intelligent life has visited earth? Absolutely fucking no.
2. Do I believe intelligent life exists? Yes. Theoretically almost certain given the vastness of life sustaining planets in our universe.

If anyone is interested, Fermi’s Paradox / Great Filter explains it pretty well.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 08:10 PM   #77
3.0L
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
I’m interested in why considering there are more stars and planets than grains of sand on the Earth.

I personally have never met anyone that didn’t but some of you must be out there…anyone?
Is an alien an alien if they never set foot on our planet?

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 09:01 AM   #78
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny01 View Post
This has probably been said already but I’m not reading this entire thread:

1. Do I believe intelligent life has visited earth? Absolutely fucking no.
I still think Earth has been visited for a long time. After all, ancient tombs and caves have been discovered with carvings and hieroglyphs depicting beings coming down from the sky, or at least how we interpret it.

Look at how far our technology has come in the past 100 years, hell, even 50 years. If intelligent life from another planet has been watching us and studying our advancements, who is to say they aren't here right now and we just can't detect them? We now have aircraft that have the radar cross section of a small marble. If someone else who was already more advanced than us watched us figure out how to hide a F22 from radar, theres no reason they can't take that knowledge, re-engineer it for themselves and completely hide from us. Pilots report UFO sightings all the time, but we always go back to our technology, say we can't see anything, and chalk it up as a pilot who needs evaluation.

If we have come this far in technology in the past 100 years, theres no reason an alien civilization wasn't able to do the same or advance further, find ways to travel long distance faster, hide in plain sight, etc. The possibilities are literally endless simply because we don't know what is beyond our system. Evolution and technological advancements could be completely different elsewhere. We need to stop thinking that life anywhere else has to be the same as life on Earth.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 01:46 PM   #79
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Me being worked over by an alien in Roswell in 2011. Somehow I survived.

///d1807.00
vreihen1614883.50
      05-23-2022, 02:55 PM   #80
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

I find it entertaining to think about the size of aliens respective the size of the planet they come from. In most movies, etc you generally see an alien depicted roughly the same size as a human.

But what if their planet is 10x the size of Jupiter and they are the size of Mount Everest? Or maybe their planet is smaller than our moon and they are the size of a chihuahua. Giant aliens. Tiny aliens.
Appreciate 1
Esteban42184.00
      05-23-2022, 07:40 PM   #81
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
I find it entertaining to think about the size of aliens respective the size of the planet they come from.
It does not make sense. Sorta like an eight foot tall Wookie on the Planet Endor with two foot tall Ewoks.....
      05-23-2022, 08:03 PM   #82
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

You guys thinking of Galactus, the world eater?
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 09:14 PM   #83
kring
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 M550i Dinan S1, 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
I find it entertaining to think about the size of aliens respective the size of the planet they come from. In most movies, etc you generally see an alien depicted roughly the same size as a human.

But what if their planet is 10x the size of Jupiter and they are the size of Mount Everest? Or maybe their planet is smaller than our moon and they are the size of a chihuahua. Giant aliens. Tiny aliens.
Funny I was just joking with my daughter about this too.

It’s my understanding planet sizes cannot vary too much to support human-like creatures, it’s such a slim sweet-spot. on Jupiter gravity is 2.5x earth, if you or I were to go there we would be stuck on the ground unable to move and within the day we’d be crushed to death by our own body weight. 10x jupiter would mean that you weigh like 2.5 tons Life there would have to be tiny, like ant-size to survive, not to threatening to us! And on a tiny planet the creatures could vary a lot in size but any amount of population would likely consume all the natural resources and go extinct before it had a chance to evolve into intelligence life.

It’s all so weird
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 12:23 AM   #84
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
how much time do you spend trying to make contact with the slugs behind your garage? if you flew over the jungle, would you stop to chat with a python or just think nothing of it, it's just a snake. if you took your spaceship to an alien planet and saw squirl-like creatures running around... would you land to engage them in formal communication?
While I may not be trying to communicate with a slug, I'm also certainly not hiding from it either. All the slugs, lizards, ants, spiders etc could EASILY capture HD video of me walking by totally ignoring them on their latest iphone slug edition.

Now... if I was traveling a long distance to some far away jungle to study or find rare slugs then yes I would probably be paying a lot of attention to them. Probably snag a few and anally probe them too. As one does.
Appreciate 1
kring323.00
      05-24-2022, 12:47 AM   #85
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

I think there is life on other planets but don't think we've ever seen them visit us. I think most of what we're seeing in the sky, etc. is our own government or a foreign government.
Appreciate 0