New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

02-15-2019, 11:01 AM   #23
Tommysalami
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

The survey is based on number of repairs per 100 cars, over 3 years, right?
Wouldn't that unfavorably skew results away from cars being used for commuting vs pleasure? If people are putting 20k miles per year on their Camry but 3k miles per year on their weekend 911, wouldn't we all obviously expect the 911 to have fewer issues and be higher on the list? Doesn't seem genuine unless its comparing with similar mileage as well
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 05:37 PM   #24
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommysalami View Post
The survey is based on number of repairs per 100 cars, over 3 years, right?
Wouldn't that unfavorably skew results away from cars being used for commuting vs pleasure? If people are putting 20k miles per year on their Camry but 3k miles per year on their weekend 911, wouldn't we all obviously expect the 911 to have fewer issues and be higher on the list? Doesn't seem genuine unless its comparing with similar mileage as well
Exactly. If a 911 was driven 12-20K miles per year like most do, would these cars be remotely as reliable? Sure, some things fail because of age, but most fail because of use. Most used 2016+ 911s for sale right now have less than 15K miles. LOL

I'm a huge Porsche fan and would kill to have a 993 gen or 997, but I'm not buying it that these cars are super reliable if you actually drove them like a normal car. I think the reliability numbers would plummet. Before buying my M235, I researched the running costs of a 996 and 997 911 on Renntech and they were crazy high and that's not factoring the IMS debacle, head issues, and oil leak issues that seem to plague many of these cars.

Most late model car-based BMWs also have pretty good "long term dependability" but that's largely because the owners trade them up after 3 years. My 2016 M235 has been bulletproof after 3 years and 31K miles of hard driving, but I fully expect reliability to plummet and running costs to sky rocket in 1 to 3 years.
      02-17-2019, 09:40 AM   #25
Funf6cyl
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6 cyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Exactly. If a 911 was driven 12-20K miles per year like most do, would these cars be remotely as reliable? Sure, some things fail because of age, but most fail because of use. Most used 2016+ 911s for sale right now have less than 15K miles. LOL

I'm a huge Porsche fan and would kill to have a 993 gen or 997, but I'm not buying it that these cars are super reliable if you actually drove them like a normal car. I think the reliability numbers would plummet. Before buying my M235, I researched the running costs of a 996 and 997 911 on Renntech and they were crazy high and that's not factoring the IMS debacle, head issues, and oil leak issues that seem to plague many of these cars.

Most late model car-based BMWs also have pretty good "long term dependability" but that's largely because the owners trade them up after 3 years. My 2016 M235 has been bulletproof after 3 years and 31K miles of hard driving, but I fully expect reliability to plummet and running costs to sky rocket in 1 to 3 years.
I don’t think that’s true. I know some people who have put big mileage on Porsches. 911s, Macan’s, Cayennes, Panameras. My wife and I are on our third Macan - each had an S and now have a GTS and put 10-15k per year. My wife had a Cayenne she did 20k a year in a Cayenne and know someone from work who put 18k a year on a turbo S and all have been more reliable than any of the BMWs, Audi’s or anything else we or they have owned before. Porsche not only uses much higher quality parts, but they test their cars to a level no other manufacturers do (watch the 991 testing video).
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 10:56 AM   #26
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

Coming in from the Porsche prospective.....I look at the purpose built cars and compare from there. Cost not being a factor but purpose......Porsche has definitely made a very solid showing when you talk about track use. While lots of P cars are indeed weekend joys.....don't forget that some low miles can be track miles as well. When you think GM and BMW you think about all the additional things needed to keep it on track in the hunt. We've all heard the heat soak issues with GM and the fading brake issues with M cars. Porsche's non GT cars have a better reliability than these brands purpose cars on track.....and we won't even discuss the GT line up for Porsche. So my point is just because you see a low mileage Porsche doesn't mean it's just a Cars and Coffee show piece. Lot's of P cars get some DE action and that generates a higher stress factor than daily driving to the office everyday...…..Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 2
Flacht31135.00
nlaak85.50