New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

05-27-2019, 11:17 AM   #133
airwalk776
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive35is

I tried holding the reset button that restarts the screen but same thing happens.

The factory reset option on screen can't be selected as I can't control. Says to use volume up and down button and there is no volume up down buttons
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 02:20 PM   #134
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwalk776 View Post
I tried holding the reset button that restarts the screen but same thing happens.

The factory reset option on screen can't be selected as I can't control. Says to use volume up and down button and there is no volume up down buttons
Volume UP & DN buttons?..... Steering wheel buttons?

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 06:35 AM   #135
airwalk776
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesZed View Post
Quote:

Volume UP & DN buttons?..... Steering wheel buttons?
Nope. I guess is they would be volume up down buttons on a android tablet. My sales rep said they would send me a file and process on how to fix but haven't gotten it yet
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 12:03 PM   #136
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Nope. I guess is they would be volume up down buttons on a android tablet. My sales rep said they would send me a file and process on how to fix but haven't gotten it yet
Let me know if it doesn't arrive as I now have the file

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2019, 02:35 AM   #137
LordLolzeye
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89 3.0i 2011

Has anybody had this issue with the new screen?

As soon as I start the car, I need to drive for around 1-2km till the GPS antenna finds me on the map. But after I stop the engine for a short period (30 mins) and start it again it finds my car in a heartbeat.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 06:18 AM   #138
airwalk776
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Let me know if it doesn't arrive as I now have the file
I need the file my friend. They are not responding can you upload to box or some file share ?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 06:50 AM   #139
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I need the file my friend. They are not responding can you upload to box or some file share ?
You have a PM(DM)

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 04:19 AM   #140
Zed4USA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW Z4 sDrive28i

Steering wheel track change buttons

Is there any way to use the steering wheel buttons or iDrive controller to change music tracks using the CarPlay adapter, AutoKit app, and Apple Music (via CarPlay)?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 03:17 AM   #141
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed4USA View Post
Is there any way to use the steering wheel buttons or iDrive controller to change music tracks using the CarPlay adapter, AutoKit app, and Apple Music (via CarPlay)?
Yes, relatively simple and doesn't take too long (a few seconds)...

1) Start unit
2) Once up and running open Music Player and it should start playing.
3) Press the Open Apps logo, two overlapping rectangles top right of the screen.
4) Find the Music Player app (bottom one) and then swipe to the right.
5) The music should stop.
6) You can now use the other app (Carplay, Android Auto, Apple Music etc)

If you have the new ID7 UI (new software update available)....
1) Start unit
3) Press the back button on the top right of the screen.
4) The screen should go back to the home page and the music should stop
5) You can now use the other app (Carplay, Android Auto, Apple Music etc)

Hope that helps

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 03:34 AM   #142
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

New ID7 update software available from here..... (full instructions are within the zip file)

A video of what it looks like...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=3vA4U30ux_E

Last edited by DavesZed; 07-02-2019 at 02:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 11:46 AM   #143
airwalk776
Private First Class
Rep

Has the file been removed ?
link is not working for me

Quote:
New ID7 update software available from here..... (full instructions are within the zip file)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7b2jfyt9rq...pdate.zip?dl=0

A video of what it looks like...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=3vA4U30ux_E
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 02:16 PM   #144
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Has the file been removed ?
link is not working for me
Link has been altered but I've just removed it as there is a major fault with it.
I'll post it back up once I've confirmed it works properly.

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 03:53 PM   #145
Zed4USA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thank you, this workaround does work.

Quote:
Yes, relatively simple and doesn't take too long (a few seconds)...

1) Start unit
3) Press the Open Apps logo, two overlapping rectangles top right of the screen.
4) Find the Music Player app (bottom one) and then swipe to the right.
5) The music should stop.
6) You can now use the other app (Carplay, Android Auto, Apple Music etc)

If you have the new ID7 UI (new software update available)....
1) Start unit
3) Press the back button on the top right of the screen.
4) The screen should go back to the home page and the music should stop
5) You can now use the other app (Carplay, Android Auto, Apple Music etc)

Hope that helps
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 04:11 PM   #146
Zed4USA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

The video from DavesZed was instrumental to installing the new screen. Here are my notes (automatic, USA version):

• I did need to remove the gear shifter. I set the parking break, shifted to drive, removed the trim, disconnected the shifter cable, then yanked the shifter up and off.

• There was an extra piece of trim around the key fob socket. I removed it, and then removed another screw.

• There were wires connecting my "sunglasses" tray that I needed to remove. Maybe this was a light for the sunglasses tray? I didn't seem to do anything.

• The wire for the sunglasses tray and the optical connection for the stereo were impossible to remove. It is weeks later and my thumbs are still peeling from calluses. You need to depress a tiny catch, in order to pull the cable socket out, and it took forever. Is there a specific tool for this?

• I did not need pozi drive bit tips. But I did need torx bit tips.

• The replacement idrive controller only screwed into two sockets, the other two did not align.

• I do have the premium audio with the center dash speaker. I was able to fit the GPS on the far right (outside the speaker area, but still under the cosmetic grill above) without having to modify any parts.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 10:50 AM   #147
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
The video from DavesZed was instrumental to installing the new screen. Here are my notes (automatic, USA version):

• I did need to remove the gear shifter. I set the parking break, shifted to drive, removed the trim, disconnected the shifter cable, then yanked the shifter up and off.

• There was an extra piece of trim around the key fob socket. I removed it, and then removed another screw.

• There were wires connecting my "sunglasses" tray that I needed to remove. Maybe this was a light for the sunglasses tray? I didn't seem to do anything.

• The wire for the sunglasses tray and the optical connection for the stereo were impossible to remove. It is weeks later and my thumbs are still peeling from calluses. You need to depress a tiny catch, in order to pull the cable socket out, and it took forever. Is there a specific tool for this?

• The replacement idrive controller only screwed into two sockets, the other two did not align.

• I do have the premium audio with the center dash speaker. I was able to fit the GPS on the far right (outside the speaker area, but still under the cosmetic grill above) without having to modify any parts.
Nice write-up, and yes very good points there
I've since fitted one with the centre speaker and found a similar solution to yours. The extra lights are part of the "Extended Lighting Package", I found thisa on the same car as the centre speaker,
With the iDrive controller it looks like they are not going to change the mounting points (I had a very early test version hence why I never said anything in my video, as I, wrongly, assumed they'd sort that for production). I got around the problem of the two rear mounts by cutting down some picture wall hooks, but a good size washer would sort this out.

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2019, 11:41 AM   #148
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

UPDATE:- Ok as for the ID7 UI update, I am not prepared to offer this to anyone at this moment in time due to it being "buggy"
Hopefully a new full version will be available in a couple of weeks, sorry but I don't want to be bombarded by "why this" and "how that", so I'll let you have it once the new release is proved to work properly from the install without tweaks.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 06:12 PM   #149
Blake745
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Quote:

Did you install the 10.25 android screen? I am looking to replace my iDrive screen with it. how is apple play or the android version of apple play working? Where did you purchase yours? I am looking to buy in the next few days.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 08:29 PM   #150
Zed4USA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Yes, I self installed it. I purchased it from aliexpress.com along with the iDrive controller (the iDrive controller doesn’t work very well, its kind of useless, but looks cool) and the wireless CarPlay adapter / USB dongle.

The audio from the wireless CarPlay skips every minute or so, I’m hoping they’ll work that out with a firmware update to the wireless CarPlay USB dongle, or to the app. Otherwise it is pretty great, though I only use it for Apple CarPlay (maps, podcasts, music, iOS notifications, etc). It is great to be able to skip tracks using the steering wheel, and the iOS map is much easier to see in that size and in that location as opposed having my iPhone mounted in a cd-slot mount.

FYI, don’t put a wireless charging pad in the arm rest to charge a phone, it will heat up and cause the phone to glitch mega-hard (probably a safety concern too). With no ventilation, it’s an oven. Plugging the phone into a usb to cigarette power adapter in the arm rest works fine though (no major heat).

Maybe I can convert the cigarette tray in front of the shifter into an exposed (read ventilated) wireless charging area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake745 View Post
Did you install the 10.25 android screen? I am looking to replace my iDrive screen with it. how is apple play or the android version of apple play working? Where did you purchase yours? I am looking to buy in the next few days.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 03:52 AM   #151
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
In Aliexpress just search for " BMW E89 Android" and they'll all come up. Then I'd recommend going with the Android 9 and make sure it states that it's got the 4GB ram (the older versions were Android 8 and only 2GB ram, like mine!!)

With that you'll have the ID7 software which I hope is better as a fresh install as opposed to my "update" which is very glitchy in places. I'm using the update at the moment and I've now decided to not bother with the ID7 UI and stay with the ID6 which, IMHO, is much better laid out and my reversing camera works with this (no idea why it doesn't with the ID7 UI)

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 05:49 PM   #152
Blake745
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ah I see, thank you for the Carplay tip, I look forward to buying this and installing it soon. How long did it take you to install?

Another concern I have is that I plan to change the speakers to better sounding ones as the current aux sounds very distorted, maybe the speakers are blown. Will this head unit be compatible with new speakers? I have no clue how speakers work so Im clueless.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 05:53 PM   #153
Blake745
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In Aliexpress just search for " BMW E89 Android" and they'll all come up. Then I'd recommend going with the Android 9 and make sure it states that it's got the 4GB ram (the older versions were Android 8 and only 2GB ram, like mine!!)

With that you'll have the ID7 software which I hope is better as a fresh install as opposed to my "update" which is very glitchy in places. I'm using the update at the moment and I've now decided to not bother with the ID7 UI and stay with the ID6 which, IMHO, is much better laid out and my reversing camera works with this (no idea why it doesn't with the ID7 UI)
Thanks Dave! I will make sure to look at the ram and ID7 version. If you have know a specific seller or particular unit you think is good, please let me know. Please feel free to PM me link and I will buy it. I have never bought from Ali nor am I this tech-savvy lol. Any help is appreciated.

FYI, we have the same color combo.
Attached Images

Last edited by Blake745; 07-09-2019 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: adding pictures
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 06:32 PM   #154
Zed4USA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

It took a lot longer than I thought it would. Specifically due to three plugs which are impossible to unplug due to their "catch-pin locking mechanism". The pins are tiny and impossible to depress with enough force while simultaneously removing the plug from the socket.

If anyone knows of a tool or way to do this please let me know as, I feel like I may have destroyed the catching-pins with a knife trying to depress them.

The android nav screen plugs into the arm-rest aux port for sound. Therefore, any speakers that work with your stereo, work with the android nav unit. The android nav screen does not replace the stereo.

Quote:
Ah I see, thank you for the Carplay tip, I look forward to buying this and installing it soon. How long did it take you to install?

Another concern I have is that I plan to change the speakers to better sounding ones as the current aux sounds very distorted, maybe the speakers are blown. Will this head unit be compatible with new speakers? I have no clue how speakers work so Im clueless.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Appreciate 0