New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

05-23-2024, 05:51 PM   #1
BaaQaf
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E89 Z4 35i M Sport

Input Shaft Pilot Bearing Install E88 E82 E89

Sup E89 Fam

Lets get straight to the point.

Trans type: 6 speed manual

The (manual 6 speed) E82, E88, and E89 with the N54 share the same identicle transmission GS6-53BZ - TJGK | 23007581860

After successfully getting the orginal pilot bearing out of the input shaft I noticed the pilot bearing did not have a staight OD rectangular shape but seemed more tappered off from its orginal size. Example: The front 24mm to tappered to 22.48mm OD. I checked the ID of the input shaft and it starts from 24mm going down to 22.xx mm.

To successfully get the bearing in I frooze it in dry ice first for 30min to start driving it in from the front. When it got nice and straight, would hammer it (using a bearing race driver) couple of times, rotate the shaft, hammer, rotate, then applied freon on the inside, and then repeat the process. It took a while due to laying on the floor under the car.

I used up 5 small freon cans to get the pilot bearing flushed.

So far what I could dig up, the vast majority of 6MT BMW cars with the N54 have input shafts that are 24mm all the way through. This was an odd one I came across and look to see if anyone has run into this?
Appreciate 0