New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

02-08-2020, 02:06 PM   #23
JeffB-M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvstar9M3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB-M3 View Post
I don't have ownership experience but found myself in the same boat about a year ago. Drove a RRS with the V6 and it is a special vehicle to drive. Quick steering, comfortable, reasonably sporty, good interior room. I must have done 20-30 hours reading message boards, reviews, and talking to folks I know that have them. There are a few folks that have had excellent experience but there are others that have had their car in the shop for 35 days within the first year of ownership. My opinion: If you have a RR dealer close by that has a good reputation and you don't mind the hassle of it being in the shop -- all while under some variety of a warranty which should include a loaner vehicle -- then go for it. Their CPO warranty is pretty darn good. I didn't pull the trigger on a RRS because the closest dealers are about an hour away. Would have been too much hassle if I wasn't one of the lucky ones that got the RRS with excellent reliability.
Thanks. Why do you like about their CPO? It's 7 years from start of service or 100k miles right?
In my mind that's a pretty good length of time for a CPO warranty. Many manufacturers just add a year to the base warranty with a bump in mileage. But maybe I'm out of touch...
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 04:41 PM   #24
tooloud10
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Is it really bias though? He loves the car, but its not like he was forcing the car to break often, it just did.

Regarding independent mechanics, while we enthusiasts may use them, most of the general public will use dealers, thus the costs in the video reflect what most regular owners would pay if those things were to break.
Yes, I would say it was biased because there are significantly less expensive ways to repair the car, but as the goal was to get clicks for his video, he set it up to make the repairs as expensive as possible. Doug Demuro would not have been taking his RR to the dealer for repairs if he was paying out of pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlpfcb View Post
How Can anyone say there reliability is over exaggerated.
Because I own one and it simply hasn't been my experience that my Rover is any less reliable than any other Euro vehicle. I have a friend with 90k miles on a '15 RRS that hasn't had any major problems. Another friend has a current-gen Disco and has had no problems. My mechanic has an LR3 and an LR4 and has said they're his most reliable cars.

Again, I've had two BMW SUVs that required $50k in repairs to go less than 50k miles total, so it's hilarious to me when someone tells me that I should be worried about my Land Rover.

*My LR3 has been one of the most reliable vehicles I've ever owned.*

Quote:
Do some research and any person can tell you that they are HORRIBLY unreliable. They consistently rank at the bottom of the list ranking them against every car brand. They are an over priced money/status symbol that has a lot of features that can be had with many other car brands with better reliability. The reason they are still in business is because its a status symbol. 95% of every range rover is a luxury SUV that will never get used in a manner thats its capable of or what it was designed to do. Personally I have 2 friends that have leased land rovers in the last 5 years. Both people filed claims due to being broken in the shops multiple times in the first 3 months after driving a brand new car off the lot. Personally I would stay away. There track record has never been good warranty or not. Its still the frustration of having a broken car.
And Porsche is consistently ranked as one of the most reliable vehicles, yet I still had to pay to have the engine replaced that one time.

I don't care if anyone else buys a RR or not, but the idea that I should be more comfortable buying a BMW with an N63 V8 over a modern RR is funny to me, regardless of what the 'ratings' say.
      03-06-2020, 06:03 PM   #25
cvstar9M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MR e90ZCP 6-MT

so... I have driven like 5-6 RRS, both v6s and v8s SC, and I'm definitely going for the V8 at this point. I'm hoping to pull the trigger by May.
      03-10-2020, 12:16 PM   #26
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
Because I own one and it simply hasn't been my experience that my Rover is any less reliable than any other Euro vehicle. I have a friend with 90k miles on a '15 RRS that hasn't had any major problems. Another friend has a current-gen Disco and has had no problems. My mechanic has an LR3 and an LR4 and has said they're his most reliable cars.
You must be the only person to feel this way and have these experiences. The issue isn't so much the presence of big problems, it's ANY problem that requires service. If I have to bring my vehicle to the dealer/shop every 3 months for a simple sensors or switches, that's just as annoying as something that requires substantial work to fix. My impression of LR/RR is that typically it's the stupid stuff that the company can't do right.

I looked into the LR Disco and a Grand Cherokee last year. It was fairly obvious when I spent 30 mins in either forum that the LR was just not the safe bet. Not to say that the GC was perfect or problem free, but the problems I saw weren't things that seemed outrageous or frequent. There are a couple of weak spots in GCs like everything, but nothing like the extensive problems I saw on the forums for the Disco. No thanks.

That's not to say that there aren't LR/RR vehicles that are generally trouble free. It comes down to risk assessment. How likely is it that my LR/RR is going to see the shop more than I am comfortable with? Frankly, the odds point to being much more problematic than I am comfortable with. I mean, I could luck out and have a great vehicle. That just seems less likely to happen.

I lucked out with my corrado and M3, both notoriously problematic vehicles, so maybe I should have gone with the Disco.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2020, 04:06 PM   #27
cvstar9M3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quick update

What's up y'all. I haven't given up on the RRS yet. But in light of this Covid19 pandemic not sure when I'll finally be able to purchase. Hopefully by summer/fall I can purchase[IMG][/IMG]. The good news is prices have come down a lot. In fact even the 2015 RRS SVR - their highersr performance RRS (X5M equivalent) can now be had for below 50k. Over the past several months I went from wanting only the v6 engine to only the V8 supercharged now. I drove one SVR and thought it was a bit much: heavy, loud, rough etc. It doesn't make sense to own one of those along with my current M3. One high sprung car is plenty right now. So my focus is 2014+ RRS V8 SC, autobiography trim (or dynamic trim at the least).... enjoy some pics of some cars I have driven.
Attached Images

04-27-2020, 12:45 AM   #28
BlueSander
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB-M3 View Post
In my mind that's a pretty good length of time for a CPO warranty. Many manufacturers just add a year to the base warranty with a bump in mileage. But maybe I'm out of touch...
Most dealers' CPO get 1 year with unlimited mile nowadays. You can purchase upto another 3 years if you would like. That's what all the Audi, BMW, Mercedes dealers around me are offering with an average cost of $3k extra for the 3 extra years. Also, make sure to shop around for how much they charge. MBUSA charge 2k7 but some dealers would jack that up to almost 4k. They say that it comes from them, however, that is not true. MBUSA put out the price and they are supposed to follow.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 07:52 AM   #29
radmjk
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i, 2020 RRS SE, 201

Garage List
We are on our third RRS in 4 years (2016, 2019, & 2020) and they have been very reliable. We have not had any significant issues with our vehicles. The only problem we have had was with the 2019 which had the oxygen sensor go bad which was replaced under warranty. The Range rover sport is my wifes vehicle and she loves it. The RRS, we feel, saved our lives and in fact left us with only minor injuries following a significant auto accident this past December. Two adults and 3 children were in the vehicle.
Attached Images

2017 BMW 530i xDrive Black
2005 BMW Z4 2.5i Jet Black

Last edited by radmjk; 04-27-2020 at 07:58 AM..
Appreciate 1
cvstar9M3281.00
      04-27-2020, 07:54 AM   #30
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooloud10 View Post
Yes, I would say it was biased because there are significantly less expensive ways to repair the car, but as the goal was to get clicks for his video, he set it up to make the repairs as expensive as possible. Doug Demuro would not have been taking his RR to the dealer for repairs if he was paying out of pocket.
Don't want to sidetrack this but Doug wasn't going out of his way to make the brand look bad. It's pretty clear he loves it despite it's poor reliability. Here's a good article he did about how the brand still sells despite poor reliability;

https://jalopnik.com/if-range-rovers...ill-1728727599

Hardly sounds like a guy that has it out for the brand. When so many owners have complaints and several reliability studies rate a brand as unreliable the reality is that the brand doesn't produce vehicles as reliable as the rest of the industry. Anecdotal evidence provided by a small handful of owners that got good ones isn't going to change that.
Appreciate 1
paliknight2186.50
      04-27-2020, 08:12 AM   #31
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

Quote:
Originally Posted by radmjk View Post
We are on our third RRS in 4 years (2016, 2019, & 2020) and they have been very reliable. We have not had any significant issues with our vehicles.
If you've had three of them in four years you haven't had a single one long enough for them to have been proven to be reliable or unreliable
      04-27-2020, 08:36 AM   #32
radmjk
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketfoot View Post
Quote:
We are on our third RRS in 4 years (2016, 2019, & 2020) and they have been very reliable. We have not had any significant issues with our vehicles.
If you've had three of them in four years you haven't had a single one long enough for them to have been proven to be reliable or unreliable
Three years is long enough for me. The first one we had, we had for 3 years. That's all I ever lease cars for. So I can say, for me and my family, the RRS has been a reliable vehicle.
Appreciate 1
cvstar9M3281.00
      04-27-2020, 10:02 AM   #33
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

Quote:
Three years is long enough for me. The first one we had, we had for 3 years. That's all I ever lease cars for. So I can say, for me and my family, the RRS has been a reliable vehicle.
While I don't lease myself, you are doing it the right way for less reliable brands
      04-27-2020, 11:32 AM   #34
radmjk
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Well, ultimately this way I have very little maintenance costs and every three years or so we have new vehicles which typically provides updated technology and safety features for my family. I do understand that RR does have a relatively poor reputation, but I buy/lease based on my personal experience with vehicles. I wouldn't buy/lease a particular vehicle that has given us problems in the past. The three years that I had my 2016 Porsche Cayenne S, I had more problems than the three years that we had the 2016 RRS.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2020, 11:41 AM   #35
strohw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 Versys 1000, 20 KTM 690 SMC

My parents have had JLR products for a very long time. They've had 2 XJ, a XKR and 3 full size RR. They've had very few issues. I just got rid of a 2017 Fpace S that I put 80k miles on and outside of the crappy infotainment system(which are OK now) I've had 0 problems.

I will say I won't own another Jaguar product though. The only 2 dealers within 3 hours of me have dumb dumbs in the service department.
Appreciate 1
cvstar9M3281.00
      04-29-2020, 10:08 AM   #36
Palala808
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

I think we're on our 3rd RR. Last two were RR Sport and current is '18 HSE. I think the biggest cost incurred was water pump replacement on our '11 RR @ 100K mark and front air struts. Other than that normal maintenance costs. Our '18 Pano roof completely shattered (Still don't know what caused it) but was covered under warranty.
Appreciate 1
cvstar9M3281.00
      04-29-2020, 10:48 AM   #37
cvstar9M3
Major
United_States
Rep

The x5M makes an appearance

Thanks again everyone for your input and for sharing your experiences with range rovers, good and bad!

Two days ago, #Covid19Boredstyle, I decided hey why not check the x5M out too. I had read the reviews and compared the RRS v8 and the SVR. From what I read, the x5M is smaller, faster, and more car like etc. But I hadn't looked at x5M because I want to try something different and move away from bmw for a bit and like I said before, I plan to keep my e90m3 for a bit longer as a second car. So I went on Autotrade and began looking at prices for the F85M, 2015+. Luckily I found a 2017 CPO near me; I sent them a message, and reply essentially was send us your address and we'll deliver the car tomorrow for a test drive. Shout out to bmw for the service btw; granted I've taken my m3 to them for service so I'm in their system but I was shocked w their reply and the great service. The next day (yesterday), this beautiful alpine x5M shows up. It is Beautiful car but I must say RRS is prettier. The roof line of the x5M and the rear end are ok. Anyway I drive the car and I'm like wow, this is an suv. It felt like I was driving a bigger sedan, m5 perhaps. The car felt fast and nimble. Comparing the drive to the RRS, specially the SVR, doesn't make sense to me. The RRS felt like a truck that is trying to like a sports car (the SVR in particular almost felt dangerous to me like driving all that weight fast was a hazard lol). And the X5M felt like a sports sedan and easier to drive. I loved it.

The thing though is I felt in the end, why get an x5M when I have the M3. The dynamics and layout of the car was "too familiar". I can see if I was trading/selling the m3 now, the x5M makes some sense. But as an add on, not so sure. Anyone has both M3 and the x5M? Anyone owned both an RRS and X5M at some point?
Attached Images

04-29-2020, 01:14 PM   #38
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

I am curious why you are looking at the rrs over the full size rr? Is it just budget?

The only reason I ask, because in my opinion the full size compliments the m3 better. A nice big relaxing car, it's the exact opposite of the m3.

Speed isn't really fun in any of the land rovers, I would look at them more for comfort and form factor.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 06:49 PM   #39
cvstar9M3
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsad1 View Post
I am curious why you are looking at the rrs over the full size rr? Is it just budget?

The only reason I ask, because in my opinion the full size compliments the m3 better. A nice big relaxing car, it's the exact opposite of the m3.

Speed isn't really fun in any of the land rovers, I would look at them more for comfort and form factor.
Honestly, never really gave it a thought. Ive always liked the look of the RRS better and driving the RRS I felt like it was definitely very comfortable and certainly more luxury than I'm used to. The full size one looks way too big for me; like they float everywhere lol. The other consideration is price point for a good one with not a lot of mileage etc. Now that you mentioned it, I might go take one for a spin and get a feel for it. Thanks.
      05-29-2022, 08:38 PM   #40
cvstar9M3
Major
United_States
Rep

Ended up picking up this 2012 RRS

What's up y'all. Last Christmas I finally Ended up picking up this higher mileage previous model supercharged v8 RRS. Luving every minute of it so far. Amazing truck! Love the power, comfort, luxury and the rugged look.
Attached Images

05-29-2022, 09:11 PM   #41
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80, F36, E90

RRS looks amazing but HATE the drive.
Appreciate 0