New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-16-2018, 04:32 AM   #23
Tom V Ohio
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z4 35is

My 2014 35is is doing the same thing again. After 3 trips to the dealer they finally put in a new sensor and bracket. Was fine for a few month but now the lights are pointed down again. Time to flip the arm back to its correct position. Hard to believe there is no recall on this setup.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2018, 09:33 PM   #24
Tom V Ohio
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z4 35is

Just fixed the sensor. Removed the top bolt from the bracket and loosened the other using a 12" long extension on a ratchet. Once the top bolt is removed you can flip the arm back to the right position. First pic is the sensor bracket with the screw removed and the arm in the wrong direction. Next one is after flipping the arm to where it should be. Last one is with the bolt back in the bracket. 12 inch extension makes this easy to do.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
sgt396619.00
      07-20-2018, 05:16 AM   #25
sgt3966
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 Z4 & 2016 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom V Ohio View Post
Just fixed the sensor. Removed the top bolt from the bracket and loosened the other using a 12" long extension on a ratchet. Once the top bolt is removed you can flip the arm back to the right position. First pic is the sensor bracket with the screw removed and the arm in the wrong direction. Next one is after flipping the arm to where it should be. Last one is with the bolt back in the bracket. 12 inch extension makes this easy to do.
Great Pics and explanation! Now I have to go and look at mine.
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2018, 02:15 PM   #26
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

TomV: Thanks for the write-up and great pics. I did mine this morning and will test to make sure it's successful tonight after dark. Only thing I would add/amend in your post is that when you rotate the arm to put it in the correct position, counter-clockwise seems to be the way to go. It may not make a difference to the internals of the sensor, but there is more clearance that way with the R/R jacked up and the suspension dropped. Also, it seems it would be pretty easy to cross-thread the top bracket bolt when you reinstall it. I barely avoided doing just that.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 03:34 AM   #27
Go351
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Coupe Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom V Ohio View Post
Thanks guys. I am having the same problem. As of yesterday!

Any chance I can get a pic zoomed out a bit so I can reference where these things are. I have a EU spec car so is it on the other side ?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2018, 10:03 AM   #28
paris1
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go351 View Post

Any chance I can get a pic zoomed out a bit so I can reference where these things are. I have a EU spec car so is it on the other side ?

Thanks
I doubt the sensor is on the other side in a LHD model. I didn't feel the need to take any more pics as those in this thread proved adequate for my needs. Just locate the sensor and study the pics here closely and you should be able to get the idea. Hint: The arm will be located just in front of and over the half shaft. That's about 180 degrees from where it should be pointing. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 04:54 AM   #29
Go351
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris1 View Post
Quote:

Thanks
I doubt the sensor is on the other side in a LHD model. I didn't feel the need to take any more pics as those in this thread proved adequate for my needs. Just locate the sensor and study the pics here closely and you should be able to get the idea. Hint: The arm will be located just in front of and over the half shaft. That's about 180 degrees from where it should be pointing. Good luck!
Thanks. Much easier to see it properly when jacked up on stands. Not an easy thibg to do btw. Jacking point is also sand point?

But in any case. Was indeed the right rear sensor arm. No idea how it would have happened. Didn't bottom out on anything. Craw over speed hump....

All fixed. Thank you all for posting this stuff!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 08:20 AM   #30
paris1
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. Much easier to see it properly when jacked up on stands. Not an easy thibg to do btw. Jacking point is also sand point?

But in any case. Was indeed the right rear sensor arm. No idea how it would have happened. Didn't bottom out on anything. Craw over speed hump....

My thoughts exactly. My wife has (carefully)gone over the same speed bumps at her gym for years withought issue, until this. Hope this doesn’t become a regular thing now!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 11:14 PM   #31
BMWCarver
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 2.8i and its Black!

I thought my headlights were adjusted too low as well, checked out the sensors and all was well. Decided to adjust with the fine tuning allens and helped, but then appeared too high on bright, so found a dark road that I could park and look at the results and discovered that as I adjusted the drivers light to the right height, it was raising the area that I thought was coming from the right headlight, meaning I need them adjusted to the left. How do I do that with the adaptive headlights. Is there another adjuster hiding somewhere?!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 07:00 AM   #32
Go351
Private
Rep

update to headlight issues

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by paris1 View Post
Quote:

Thanks

for those new to e89s and self levelling arm problems.

I do think it is a design fault. The car is low in stock form and with modern speed bumps everywhere in Oz cities, it will continue to be a problem.

I now come to a complete stop and 1st gear over the speed bumps. Better If you don't straddle. Go over the bump with RHS at peak of bump. It will minimise the travel of the suspension arm.

I have used a simple cable tie to hold the arm. In place. I'm sure will need to be replaced from time to time but it has now lasted 3 months. In the first 2 months of owning the car I had to fix it 4 times.

Pic to sho you what I did. You can see I had 2 cable ties and one has broken. Although I don't think the broken on needs replacing. I do want to give it some give..

Hope this helps
Attached Images

Appreciate 0