New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

05-03-2021, 05:35 AM   #1
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

You ever lose the love?

So I've been a carnut since I was about 15. I am middle aged, and I've had 20 cars since.

Compared to some dudes I meet at car meets, I am not THAT into cars but I always loved to talk about them, get excited when I see a cool one, and loved always to think about my next one (even if I am loving the car I have).

I do tend to get bored of cars pretty quickly, say 6 months to a year. This is now happening with my current car, a 2020 M2 comp manual.

I don't go for joy rides anymore and don't really care to keep the car clean and shiny.

Usually when this happens, I start thinking about what my next car will be. And usually it will be about reaching that next level. So lately I've been thinking about either a porsche cayman 4.0 GTS manual or a 2010 to 2015 r8 V10 manual.

But more recently, after driving a v10 r8 manual, I seem to have lost the love a little. I don't find myself lusting after that car, or even a 458 italia, which has always been my absolute dream car.

In the back of mind, I say to myself, what's the point you are going to get bored of that car like any other car. I also think about the hassles that will come with a higher end car like that. Part of me says just get a decent manual compact sized normally aspirated car and be done with it. I am thinking the new BRZ might fit the bill.

The car I have loved driving the most to date, was my 2014 Cayman S manual. My first test drive of one, I was literally smiling and laughing pretty much the whole time and I had to have one, so I ordered one. I absolutely loved that that car, couldn't get enough of it, went for joyrides. But eventually I got bored of it.

Given how much I loved that car when I first got it, I know the same will happen with what ever car I get and I kinda feel like I just want to chill out and get a reasonably fun car and quit chasing a car I really feel the passion for.

You ever been there?

It could be the pandemic blues, but I've never lost the love like that before.
Appreciate 2
JTO245246.50
jpy19801578.00
      05-03-2021, 07:17 AM   #2
nick3753
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 DCT ZCP

Sounds like you need to either:

A) talk to a therapist about your depression.

B) go to the track (if they're allowing that up there in Canada, if not see A)

I know my passion is less, not because it is inherently less, but because more pressing life issues have taken precedent (family, career, finances).
Appreciate 11
happyjack1657.00
six75LT916.50
jmg18493.00
King Rudi13152.00
SYT_Shadow11421.00
jesm203.00
JTO245246.50
XMetal1096.50
jpy19801578.00
      05-03-2021, 07:18 AM   #3
mapleleaf1773
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i XDrive

Garage List
Option C

Get rid of the automatic and get back to the manual

Problem solved
Appreciate 5
jmack548.50
Th3Walrus327.00
celsdogg308.00
XMetal1096.50
      05-03-2021, 07:58 AM   #4
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Interesting topic. I think I am pulling the trigger today but in the back of my mind I wonder if i still have the passion? Have I just become fixated on the idea of a toy car and not if i will actually enjoy a pure sports car over a compromised daily with some attitude?

My biggest issue is the roads and landscape here, both are absolutely dire and make it difficult to enjoy motoring.
Appreciate 1
baege1320.50
      05-03-2021, 08:00 AM   #5
frchdragon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

The pandemic has a lot to do about it I am sure.
But as we age, we also change, I used to spend so much time wrenching, building race cars and doing 3D printing and other massive projects...
Now I focus on my career and my kids mainly, trying to get everything lined up before I start traveling again.

Not to be rude, but you seem to also have money. This also changes the perception of things. I know I don't get M cars because I don't want to spend the hard earned income getting it fixed. If money wasn't an issue, I would for sure have one or two.
When owning a car, any car, isn't an issue, it is easy to get bored easily.
Imagine if money wasn't an issue and you could get anything, I mean anything! There is no challenge, nothing to look forward to, no long time goals, you can get it all already.

There are a lot of driving schools, that might be something that interests you, you will be able to explore your car in ways you can't on the 401 (local hwy). We have great tracks in Ontario, Mosport, Calabogie, even the DDT for learning.
Appreciate 1
Fakemike368.50
      05-03-2021, 08:07 AM   #6
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
So I've been a carnut since I was about 15. I am middle aged, and I've had 20 cars since.

Compared to some dudes I meet at car meets, I am not THAT into cars but I always loved to talk about them, get excited when I see a cool one, and loved always to think about my next one (even if I am loving the car I have).

I do tend to get bored of cars pretty quickly, say 6 months to a year. This is now happening with my current car, a 2020 M2 comp manual.

I don't go for joy rides anymore and don't really care to keep the car clean and shiny.

Usually when this happens, I start thinking about what my next car will be. And usually it will be about reaching that next level. So lately I've been thinking about either a porsche cayman 4.0 GTS manual or a 2010 to 2015 r8 V10 manual.

But more recently, after driving a v10 r8 manual, I seem to have lost the love a little. I don't find myself lusting after that car, or even a 458 italia, which has always been my absolute dream car.

In the back of mind, I say to myself, what's the point you are going to get bored of that car like any other car. I also think about the hassles that will come with a higher end car like that. Part of me says just get a decent manual compact sized normally aspirated car and be done with it. I am thinking the new BRZ might fit the bill.

The car I have loved driving the most to date, was my 2014 Cayman S manual. My first test drive of one, I was literally smiling and laughing pretty much the whole time and I had to have one, so I ordered one. I absolutely loved that that car, couldn't get enough of it, went for joyrides. But eventually I got bored of it.

Given how much I loved that car when I first got it, I know the same will happen with what ever car I get and I kinda feel like I just want to chill out and get a reasonably fun car and quit chasing a car I really feel the passion for.

You ever been there?

It could be the pandemic blues, but I've never lost the love like that before.
Kind of, but I don't ditch cars anywhere near as fast as you. If anything, when I pull the trigger on a fun car, the goal is to keep it for good. There's a few things I've learned ever since COVID started, just from some self reflection:

1) My end game was always a 997.1 GT3. I've realized that as prices go silly, it doesn't reflect how much fun I can have with a car. At say $80k for the cheapest one, is it 3x more fun than say my E92 M3? I personally don't think so.

2) IMHO, cars are just getting too fast. So the more you look at these expensive cars, the faster they get, compared to say my E36 M3. That really limits how and when you use it.

3) I actually don't drive my fun cars that often. Maybe once or twice a week, but I do have 3 of them so I rotate them. Would I be OK spending that kind of money, and having a car sitting there and collecting dust? No.

4) Related to the previous point, I saved a decent amount from not traveling and doing other fun activities, I was able to pay off 1 car early. Also about to get rid of my Toyota Tundra for a profit because I got an offer for it for more than what I paid for it in 2019. This will be the first time in way too long that I'll have no car payment, and it frankly feels very nice.

So in conclusion, I've really cooled down on looking at the next thing and just learning to enjoy what I have. At the moment, I'm really interested in the G87 and hope the price will not be unobtanium, like the Porsches at the moment. I can somewhat justify it because it'll probably my farewell to a fully ICE vehicle. From there on out, all my DD's will be boring electric cars.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 08:16 AM   #7
Maitre_Absolut
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 CS, Audi RS6

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf1773 View Post
Option C

Get rid of the automatic and get back to the manual

Problem solved

If you get bored after 6 months (basically the honeymoon) then you have to question what it is you like about cars. Is it the buying experience over the driving?

Assuming you do enjoy the driving part, slowly modding to your taste helps extend that love. Road trips / long drives / track days are what remind you how fun the car is to drive. If you live in the city yeah you cant leave the house for a drive and come back unless you have 3h to kill. Since the pandemic havent had many of those and my car just sits but I know there will be some in the future.

I'd also say upgrading in small increments keeps things interesting for longer. Once you hit your dream car thats it lol.
17 Porsche Macan GTS
14 Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 08:27 AM   #8
erickonphoenix
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Gray 328xi Touring

I have a similar problem but it's not with cars it's with women
Vivek.1363.50
SYT_Shadow11421.00
Doctor_X1158.00
jpy19801578.00
AG23250.00
      05-03-2021, 08:36 AM   #9
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

One of the big issues I am having is most good "compromise" cars are blown. M3...blown....older one throws rods. Great. 335...blown, M2....blown.

Like really?

If you want NA it's a fucking short list.

Honestly there is a lot to be said for PP1 Mustang, 5 litre, likes a few revs, sounds glorious, cheap to mod etc, it's just a BIG car though.

Last edited by Alfisti; 05-03-2021 at 08:44 AM..
Appreciate 1
alan7467128.00
      05-03-2021, 08:51 AM   #10
unluky
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 z4 3.0 Sport & 15 X5 35i XD

Garage List
I get it. I have always been a car guy. I remembering buying my first POS when I was 15 and had 2 months to go before I got my license. I sat in it every night and was modding it before I could even (legally) drive it. I would sometimes just crack the door and peek out at it. It was in my blood.

I've owned 13-15 cars in my 35 years since I was 16, but the distance between new cars gets longer and longer as I age. I've had a lot of fun cars over the years and owned at least 2 cars at a time for close to 20 years now. The fun cars are more for driving now and not nearly as much for polishing and shining. I still enjoy a clean car and keep them maintained impeccably, but taking off wheels to clean the barrels monthly and polishing the exhaust days are over.

I am still a head and shoulders above "car guy" more than the average joe for sure - but my desire has cooled with age as far and obsessing about my car.

It still puts a smile on my face when I roll through those gears in the upper RPM's and I hope I keep that part till the day I die. Not a bad day in the world a trip trough the gears through some twisties won't fix. I hope when I am 95 my head still turns when a sexy car catch my eye or the right exhaust note catches my ear.
Fakemike368.50
      05-03-2021, 09:48 AM   #11
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

dont drive it everyday, this has helped me through the years. I drive the nice car about 2-3 days a week.

i get in, and it's like a new car.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 12:24 PM   #12
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

yeah don't drive the nice cars too often. thats what helped me keep them around. it should be an event each time you get in and not something 'familiar'. slowly modding along the way can help too.

what is it that bored you with the M2c ? is it too boring just driving around town ? My M3 is like that... once i stretch its legs on a back road any thoughts of selling it usually vanish though. Maybe you need a car that is more in line with being a fun daily at normal road speeds? BRZ is a great option for that. Then also have a cayman GTS for the weekend / nice days.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 12:31 PM   #13
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
My fun car is stored from October to April and my winter car is a Mitsubishi Outlander Sport (aka RVR, ASX).

If you want to appreciate your cars more, get a terrible car like I did.
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      05-03-2021, 01:28 PM   #14
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

I think it's just you "growing up" and coming to realize there's more to life than material things, like cars.

I've gotten into many car funks like you are in right now. And what I've learned at this point in my life is that expensive cars and the constant move to the next "better" thing (no matter what it is) does not and will not make me happy.

Case in point: I have a gen 1 V8 R8, and my neighbor recently got a gen 2 R8 (V10). He's redoing his driveway right now so the car is sitting outside in plain sight. I pass by it every day and get a hint of jealousy every time I see it. Until 5 seconds goes by and I realize I could afford a gen 2 if I really wanted it, but after thinking about it, my life would be 100% exactly the same if I traded mine in for a gen 2. Except I'd have about 100k less in my bank account. So what's the point?

There are ways to enjoy your car hobby without constantly trading cars. If you like driving, then a track car is definitely the way to go. It directs your car hobby into a new skill and still keeps you involved in the scene.

If it's modifying, why not buy a project car? A real project car, a chassis with no motor, try building something? Start with a generic LS swap so you gain some experience and then do something whacky later on. Keeps it interesting and keeps you invested in the hobby and motivated/engaged.

As for me, my enjoyment comes from washing/detailing cars. Gives me satisfaction and puts me in a great mood for the next 2-3 days. And the compliments I get for my clean cars are selfish little payoffs for the hours I spend detailing them.

If there's a takeaway from this, I'd say spend less time consuming and more time producing something. It's more fulfilling and at least for me, makes me happier because of it.
Humdizzle6024.00
baege1320.50
zeroM361.50
Biginboca3759.50
jpy19801578.00
      05-03-2021, 02:21 PM   #15
particulardude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LR4 | L405 SC SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickonphoenix View Post
I have a similar problem but it's not with cars it's with women
lolol - I have used that line before - 'at least it's not women!'

I hadn't been keeping count but a neighbor made a comment recently that made me stop and think - I've had eight different vehicles since moving from downtown Chicago to the burbs - will be four years this summer.

Some of the comments on speed here really resonate. I freaked myself out a few times in my M2 - too easy to go waaay too fast very quickly.

Part of my internal rationale for going w/ a Humvee as my most recent 'fun' vehicle was to literally slow down and hopefully mitigate a bit of the risk that comes along with that 'need for speed' (fast forward and of course I'm back in a stupid quick BMW as my daily)

I digress but there's a life lesson here somewhere...

Being someone who gets that itch for something different all too often, I'm quite intrigued by Classic Car Club Manhattan. That fleet is something else. Their curation is spot on to my tastes.

Believe there are similar outfits in other larger cities. Who knows how that type of setup would feel once you sat with it for awhile but it's interesting nonetheless. OP, anything like that in TO you could check out?

Instagram@particulardude

Last edited by particulardude; 05-03-2021 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 02:49 PM   #16
mikeokimster
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 jerez m3

Has happened to me as well albeit less impacted by it as I have gotten older.

To me it’s like the relationship with fried chicken. The first bite is always the best and the experience tapers down with each subsequent bite. As I get to know the car and it’s fixed capabilities/limits, exploiting those capabilities becomes less of a dramatic effect.

What has compounded the issue is that, at least here in the Pacific Northwest, the physical limitations due to infrastructure constraints and the influx of traffic has made it where I can reasonably see the capabilities in about .01% of daily settings. Without even getting a good flavor of where performance cars shine I have fallen out of love much quicker since it’s really just the sound of the car and interior interactions.
Appreciate 1
baege1320.50
      05-03-2021, 04:38 PM   #17
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post
I think it's just you "growing up" and coming to realize there's more to life than material things, like cars.

And what I've learned at this point in my life is that expensive cars and the constant move to the next "better" thing (no matter what it is) does not and will not make me happy.

Case in point: I have a gen 1 V8 R8, and my neighbor recently got a gen 2 R8 (V10). He's redoing his driveway right now so the car is sitting outside in plain sight. I pass by it every day and get a hint of jealousy every time I see it. Until 5 seconds goes by and I realize I could afford a gen 2 if I really wanted it, but after thinking about it, my life would be 100% exactly the same if I traded mine in for a gen 2. Except I'd have about 100k less in my bank account. So what's the point?
This really hits home with me as I've been having the same thoughts. I'm in my late 20s and my daily is a paid off an older Lexus IS. Sure it's a mediocre car in a lot of ways, but would a new car really bring me added happiness? I'll eventually get around to an M2, but I'm in no rush to splurge on some car that's a stop gap between now and the M2.

A fulfilling career, social circle, girlfriend, etc. are what truly bring happiness. A fun car just adds to it but shouldn't be a high priority.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 06:00 AM   #18
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
yeah don't drive the nice cars too often. thats what helped me keep them around. it should be an event each time you get in and not something 'familiar'. slowly modding along the way can help too.

what is it that bored you with the M2c ? is it too boring just driving around town ? My M3 is like that... once i stretch its legs on a back road any thoughts of selling it usually vanish though. Maybe you need a car that is more in line with being a fun daily at normal road speeds? BRZ is a great option for that. Then also have a cayman GTS for the weekend / nice days.
I don't drive the M2C very often, in fact lately I have been only driving it 1-2 times a week.

And it's nothing about the M2C in particular, I have been feeling like I will get to that point with any car...even my end game car (the 458 italia).

and that thought (what's the point, I will eventually get bored anyways) seems to have made me give up striving for that next car that I will have the passion for. I used to love the chase for my next car, and now I seem to be not so interested in that chase. I gots no car ambition! It's a weird place to be in for me. What now gardening?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 06:04 AM   #19
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntg44 View Post

I've gotten into many car funks like you are in right now. And what I've learned at this point in my life is that expensive cars and the constant move to the next "better" thing (no matter what it is) does not and will not make me happy.

There are ways to enjoy your car hobby without constantly trading cars. If you like driving, then a track car is definitely the way to go. It directs your car hobby into a new skill and still keeps you involved in the scene.

If it's modifying, why not buy a project car? A real project car, a chassis with no motor, try building something? Start with a generic LS swap so you gain some experience and then do something whacky later on. Keeps it interesting and keeps you invested in the hobby and motivated/engaged.

As for me, my enjoyment comes from washing/detailing cars. Gives me satisfaction and puts me in a great mood for the next 2-3 days. And the compliments I get for my clean cars are selfish little payoffs for the hours I spend detailing them.

If there's a takeaway from this, I'd say spend less time consuming and more time producing something. It's more fulfilling and at least for me, makes me happier because of it.
You are fortunate to have an interest in producing something car related, taking care of your cars, maintaining them...truth is I've never enjoyed that aspect of car ownership. For me it was always the experience of their beauty (so I enjoyed the way they looked after cleaning them, but not the actual cleaning experience...I am the same way with cooking) and the driving experience that drove my passion.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 06:07 AM   #20
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by particulardude View Post
lolol - I have used that line before - 'at least it's not women!'

I hadn't been keeping count but a neighbor made a comment recently that made me stop and think - I've had eight different vehicles since moving from downtown Chicago to the burbs - will be four years this summer.

Some of the comments on speed here really resonate. I freaked myself out a few times in my M2 - too easy to go waaay too fast very quickly.

Part of my internal rationale for going w/ a Humvee as my most recent 'fun' vehicle was to literally slow down and hopefully mitigate a bit of the risk that comes along with that 'need for speed' (fast forward and of course I'm back in a stupid quick BMW as my daily)

I digress but there's a life lesson here somewhere...

Being someone who gets that itch for something different all too often, I'm quite intrigued by Classic Car Club Manhattan. That fleet is something else. Their curation is spot on to my tastes.

Believe there are similar outfits in other larger cities. Who knows how that type of setup would feel once you sat with it for awhile but it's interesting nonetheless. OP, anything like that in TO you could check out?
There is actually something like that and i have checked it out, but weirdly (and I think connected in my overall waning interest in cars) I haven't signed up yet...
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 06:47 AM   #21
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
I don't drive the M2C very often, in fact lately I have been only driving it 1-2 times a week.

And it's nothing about the M2C in particular, I have been feeling like I will get to that point with any car...even my end game car (the 458 italia).

and that thought (what's the point, I will eventually get bored anyways) seems to have made me give up striving for that next car that I will have the passion for. I used to love the chase for my next car, and now I seem to be not so interested in that chase. I gots no car ambition! It's a weird place to be in for me. What now gardening?
2 things for me: Mod the house, which is even more expensive than modding cars. And traveling. Also got into running a year ago when COVID started.

Forgot to mention in my first post that while there are still a few cars I'm looking forward to, the list is getting smaller. I know the direction the car industry is heading is inevitable, but I genuinely feel like we've reached the ceiling of cars that I love years ago. Apart from the G87, I literally cannot think of something else I'd want to add. Everything else will just be electric appliances to get me from A to B, which kind of puts me at ease.

It's actually been nice to see links for reviews and press releases, and think to myself "I actually don't care" --> Pretty much all Mclarens these days for example
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 4
baege1320.50
kyriian872.00
Mavus2014.50
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      05-04-2021, 06:47 AM   #22
kyriian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Quote:
There is actually something like that and i have checked it out, but weirdly (and I think connected in my overall waning interest in cars) I haven't signed up yet...
A realtor friend of mine seems to absolutely love her membership, I am sure you are talking about R Club

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 0