New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

02-10-2012, 09:52 PM   #1
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Dual Clutch Transmissions Facts

This may put some of you to sleep, but for those of us with an engineering bent may find this interesting. FWIW, you can subscribed to get email updates.

We can expect BMW to adopt these technologies as the old school "automatic" will be a thing of the past for most applications.

DCTs are "Now Mainstream Technology"

Click Link ---> Dual Clutch Transmissions Facts

"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Last edited by teagueAMX; 02-12-2012 at 12:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 06:00 AM   #2
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

I can't believe that half of all vehicles sold have manual transmissions. That's very surprising.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 07:22 AM   #3
Wiles
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.5i MSport manual, 2020X3M

Garage List
2012 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
I can't believe that half of all vehicles sold have manual transmissions. That's very surprising.

Markets – Manual to Automatics

Transmission Share by Regions
Europe 2011 Manual 73%
Automatic 15%
DCT 7%
CVT 2%
other 3%

North America 2011 Automatic 79%
Manual 11%
CVT 7%
DCT 3%

Getrag - IAA Frankfurt Motor Show 2011
Source: CSM

After doing European delivery and looking in cars as you walk down the street, its amazing how it seems only MB have automatics in Germany.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiles335i View Post
Markets – Manual to Automatics

Transmission Share by Regions
Europe 2011 Manual 73%
Automatic 15%
DCT 7%
CVT 2%
other 3%

North America 2011 Automatic 79%
Manual 11%
CVT 7%
DCT 3%

Getrag - IAA Frankfurt Motor Show 2011
Source: CSM

After doing European delivery and looking in cars as you walk down the street, its amazing how it seems only MB have automatics in Germany.
Very interesting statistics. No wonder dealers don't stock MT's in there inventory.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 11:14 AM   #5
stickshifter69
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Only in the US are automatics more preferred. I would never have an automatic car unless it is luxury sedan like a 7 series. True enthusiastic drivers will opt to drive manuals!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
HerrK
Captain
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 77 R100Rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
Very interesting statistics. No wonder dealers don't stock MT's in there inventory.
"No wonder US or maybe NA dealers don't stock MT's in there inventory". Because most people in the US are trending towards a mass of mindless dweebs who want to text and talk instead of focussing on driving.

HerrK - 2021 X5 40i M Sport l PCD l Atlantis Blue/Ext'd Tartufo Merino l M Sport w/blue Calipers l Matt Popular l HK Sound l 740's l Exec & Drive Pro Pack
Sold w/Great Memories - E89 Z4 l ED 2010 l 2011 35i l Crimson/Ext'd Coral Red w/Alum l 6 sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
az34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 z4sdrive35i 2008 x5 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickshifter69 View Post
Only in the US are automatics more preferred. I would never have an automatic car unless it is luxury sedan like a 7 series. True enthusiastic drivers will opt to drive manuals!
dct is now an aging thecnologie you can now have it on entry levels Hyundai and others small s***box. This is the new (and as boring) auto,trans. MT will never be outdated!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 01:00 PM   #8
stickshifter69
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I love this video about manual vs DCT and of course the 1M:
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 01:21 PM   #9
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
This may put some of you to sleep, but for those of us with an engineering bent may find this interesting. FWIW, I subscribed to get email updates.

We can expect BMW to adopt these technologies as the old school "automatic" will be a thing of the past for most applications.

DCTs are "Now Mainstream Technology"

Click Link ---> Dual Clutch Transmissions Facts

Thanks for the great link/articles. Must be my German blood that forces me to drive a manual I may have to switch to a automatic once we decide to make due with only one car since my wife will never touch a manual.

We had a very bad experience in the mid 60s when I tried to teach her to use the manual shift on our then brand new VW Beatle (remind me to tell you the story when we meet sometime in the next 2 years for that glass of fine Californian wine it is quite a funny story).

Until it is time to switch to the automatic (M-DCT in my Z4 was great) I shall enjoy the interaction with my manual and the road.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 02:09 PM   #10
stickshifter69
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Born to shift....lol
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #11
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrK View Post
"No wonder US or maybe NA dealers don't stock MT's in there inventory". Because most people in the US are trending towards a mass of mindless dweebs who want to text and talk instead of focussing on driving.
+1
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #12
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
Thanks for the great link/articles. Must be my German blood that forces me to drive a manual I may have to switch to a automatic once we decide to make due with only one car since my wife will never touch a manual.

We had a very bad experience in the mid 60s when I tried to teach her to use the manual shift on our then brand new VW Beatle (remind me to tell you the story when we meet sometime in the next 2 years for that glass of fine Californian wine it is quite a funny story).

Until it is time to switch to the automatic (M-DCT in my Z4 was great) I shall enjoy the interaction with my manual and the road.

Thanks Rolf-Dieter

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 11:31 PM   #13
35iDriver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
I am an enthusiastic driver, yet I chose the DCT. That blows your theory out of the water.

Last edited by 35iDriver; 02-11-2012 at 11:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 11:36 PM   #14
35iDriver
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by az34 View Post
dct is now an aging thecnologie you can now have it on entry levels Hyundai and others small s***box. This is the new (and as boring) auto,trans. MT will never be outdated!
Actually the glass is half full, and is not the half empty glass you happen to see.
The DCT continues to gain popularity exponentially as the most technologically advanced tranamission to date. The DCT is not an "automatic" and is far and away more exciting to drive than a "manumatic" auto transmission.

The lowly Yugo was offered with a manual transmission, but no one interpreted that as something negative against the manual transmissions. So, why would the fact a DCT now appears in a "$%&&box" (as you call it) would that have any negative effect on the DCT?

Last edited by 35iDriver; 02-11-2012 at 11:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 11:47 PM   #15
35iDriver
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I love this video about manual vs DCT and of course the 1M:
He sounded like some MT zealous, whose pie hole I wanted to duck tape shut.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 01:54 AM   #16
HerrK
Captain
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 77 R100Rs

I found it quite interesting that Gretag is phasing out wet automatic dual clutch sequential manual gearbox (DCT) in favor of dry clutch solenoid operated units. This will certainly bring down the unit cost and repair costs substancially.

DCT's are certainly not automatic transmissions - they are however automatic clutches. So the manual purist just "automatically" give them that AT designation. I really don't understand why people get all twisted us about the terminology. Drive what you like. The campaign is to "Save the Manuals" not necessarily referring to only the transmission.

When I bought my first BMW MC in 1977 it was the first year that they eliminated the kick starter capability. I remember asking the salesman about the wisdom of this. His reply was "They don't put cranks on cars anymore do they?" Remember "transistor" radios as opposed to vacuum tube radios. For the most part we resist change. Change I can deal with as long as I have options.

But I digress. If I were racing and the "class" or "formula" rules allowed use of the auto clutches you would be brain dead to try and compete a MT -vs- a DCT type. That said, although I appreciate the technology and am all for the development and use of the DCT for mass transportation. I wish that all racing leagues/organizations would ban the auto clutches. The occasional money shift is just another factor to separate the losers from the winner, and makes the racing all the more interesting.

In closing, since I am off on a tangent and rambling around anyways, I hope that government regulators and automakers will put an EMI net in cars that will interfere with all cellular device usage while the vehicle is running. Maybe people would get back to the "Joy of Driving Responsively" as opposed to the poor operating habits most have acquired, thanks to all the modern conveniences.

HerrK - 2021 X5 40i M Sport l PCD l Atlantis Blue/Ext'd Tartufo Merino l M Sport w/blue Calipers l Matt Popular l HK Sound l 740's l Exec & Drive Pro Pack
Sold w/Great Memories - E89 Z4 l ED 2010 l 2011 35i l Crimson/Ext'd Coral Red w/Alum l 6 sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 03:27 AM   #17
stickshifter69
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35iDriver View Post
I am an enthusiastic driver, yet I chose the DCT. That blows your theory out of the water.
Sounds like your just in denial. I bet you go around saying that just to make yourself feel better. Or compensate in areas you are inadequate. Or maybe you are an enthusiast after all....
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 08:07 AM   #18
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrK View Post
I hope that government regulators and automakers will put an EMI net in cars that will interfere with all cellular device usage while the vehicle is running.
Would those work in a convertible ?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 12:19 PM   #19
35iDriver
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like your just in denial. I bet you go around saying that just to make yourself feel better. Or compensate in areas you are inadequate. Or maybe you are an enthusiast after all....
Nope. Not even close.
Geez, I thought my sarcasm was blatantly obvious, but I guess there are always the remedial that need to be bashed over the head with the truth.
Here I'll explain it to you... To be totally honest, I'm just sick and tired of listening to the select few's BS about you have to drive a manual to be a true "enthusiast", blah, blah blah.

Last edited by 35iDriver; 02-12-2012 at 12:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 02:07 PM   #20
stickshifter69
Second Lieutenant
Rep

You're just full of hot air and no substance....Just be happy you got your DCT!! Big deal, dude!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #21
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35iDriver View Post
Nope. Not even close.
Geez, I thought my sarcasm was blatantly obvious, but I guess there are always the remedial that need to be bashed over the head with the truth.
Here I'll explain it to you... To be totally honest, I'm just sick and tired of listening to the select few's BS about you have to drive a manual to be a true "enthusiast", blah, blah blah.
+1 I see some MT drivers writing with an elitist attitude. What's the big ***ing deal? You drive what you like the way you want to drive it. I've driven both kinds and will continue to.
There's plenty of professional racers who drive DCT's when the race sactions it. You can't shift faster than with a DCT. And you get to keep both hands on the wheel with the paddle shifters, which can be a safety issue at times.
You want to feel like you're more "a part of the car"? Drive a stick shift. It's a lot of fun. I had a Z4 with DCT and loved it and now I'm getting one with a stick shift. Why? I feel like it. And I'm not making a big deal about it.

We all drive an awesome car that looks and drive better 99% of the cars you see on the road. Let's just give this divisiveness a rest and practice a little more courtesy and inclusion.

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 09:55 AM   #22
35iDriver
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You're just full of hot air and no substance....Just be happy you got your DCT!! Big deal, dude!
Some DCT owners groaned when they read your post, some let out a big fat, "Oh Puleeeeease", other asked themselves: "WHAT did he just say?" or
"I can't believe what I JUST read" and the others just chuckled at you and moved on. None of which happen to result in a post. Initially, I just happen to be the only DCT owner that decided to call you out on what you said....and now a couple more have decided to respond to you.

If you were going to pedal a heavily biased statement like that, directly in FRONT of a bunch of DCT users, then you should have been prepared for responses of all kind.

You don't get to tell us who is a "true enthusiast".

Last edited by 35iDriver; 02-13-2012 at 03:25 PM..
Appreciate 0