New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

06-03-2022, 01:17 PM   #1
Equilibrandt
Auto/DCT Zealot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Miata

Garage List
SavageGeese - The Future of In-Car Tech

This is a pretty great release from SG.

Delves into Toyota's design choices for in-car tech. Talks a lot about how car manufacturers are way behind the tech curve and how they make up for it (and why start-ups like Tesla and Rivian are seemingly ahead because they're tech companies first and car manufacturers second).

There's a small section from some Toyota execs about physical buttons versus touch functions too. Might shed some light onto why BMW seems hellbent on ID8. Worth the watch!

Appreciate 3
Cos270608.50
ntg442888.50
BMWGirlFL6265.00
      06-03-2022, 02:24 PM   #2
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Great video but fuck me dead, all this talk is great but why is everything so shit? Bunch of fucking egg heads naval gazing. This is DEAD FUCKING EASY. Hard touch, physical control for volume, hvac and commonly used controls. Touch screen for longer term settings and options.

Done. There i saved you billions you giblets.

Last edited by Alfisti; 06-03-2022 at 02:31 PM..
Appreciate 4
Cos270608.50
Efthreeoh17199.00
Wolf 3352340.50
chris7197331.50
      06-03-2022, 02:45 PM   #3
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Great video but fuck me dead, all this talk is great but why is everything so shit? Bunch of fucking egg heads naval gazing. This is DEAD FUCKING EASY. Hard touch, physical control for volume, hvac and commonly used controls. Touch screen for longer term settings and options.

Problem is...it is cheaper for brands to have one screen and integrate everything into that one screen. Rather than develop and provide switch gear for each new model. Bean counters get to report more savings to their superiors.
Appreciate 1
wtwo317945.00
      06-03-2022, 03:13 PM   #4
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

And people wonder why analog cars keep jumping in price. Getting n the 997 is a relief, it's basically 4 fat tyres, 400hp and a steering wheel. Done.
Appreciate 9
Mavus2026.00
Cos270608.50
c1pher4661.00
Dino GT35131.50
Efthreeoh17199.00
jmack548.50
WolfGTI716.00
XMetal1126.50
      06-03-2022, 05:37 PM   #5
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:

Cos270608.50
Wolf 3352340.50
      06-03-2022, 05:56 PM   #6
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:

Yes, this. Touch for the sake of touch is a bad idea and not ergonomic.
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      06-04-2022, 12:37 AM   #7
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
And people wonder why analog cars keep jumping in price. Getting n the 997 is a relief, it's basically 4 fat tyres, 400hp and a steering wheel. Done.
That’s why Porsches in general command a premium. If you enjoy driving, you care less about all the gizmos. Better headlights? Sure. But some features don’t really add to driving dynamics, they actually distract you. The main thing I absolutely loved about my 135is was that it was still a pretty analog car. No digital screens, just nice clear gauges, lovely suspension and beautiful inline six motor. If only the DCT wasn’t trying to kill me, I’d probably still have it.
Appreciate 2
Dino GT35131.50
Cos270608.50
      06-04-2022, 07:29 AM   #8
King_Leonard
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
Problem is...it is cheaper for brands to have one screen and integrate everything into that one screen. Rather than develop and provide switch gear for each new model. Bean counters get to report more savings to their superiors.
Also, the general public is more impressed with a single touch screen because it's new and cool. Gotta impress your friends and family.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2022, 03:15 AM   #9
Tacoma
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMWs for 30 yrs

Savagegeese is one of the best auto reviewers out there but this one misses the mark. It's supposed to be about the future of car tech but it's really about the past and present. It's mainly about how systems development work including business analysis & requirements (like user experience), application and data design & development (like decisions on data security & cloud vs. local computing) with marketing thrown in like repeating over and over again it's about satisfying the customer that's most important, blah, blah, blah. There's nothing really new or futuristic here.

If it was about the future, I would expect things like how smart cars will work, technology behind automate driving, advances in battery technology, vehicle networking & their impacts (like reduced traffic), etc. They touched on networking very briefly with high performance computing with their Microsoft bit, but with due respect to Bill Gates, Microsoft is hardly the expert in this area especially as it relates to automotive.

And with due respect to Toyota, they're hardly a leader in technology advancements, they're more apt to be followers. They do a lot of talking about user experience and user interface (which are common terms) of the infotainment system but I couldn't help but think if they were so good at it, why does their user interface suck so much? If they wanted to find out about how to develop good UI's, they should've interview BMW instead.
Appreciate 4
Alfisti6496.00
KevinGS3320.00
heavyD^23688.50
zx10guy5149.50
      06-05-2022, 12:16 PM   #10
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep
Drives: Hellcat & Miata

I prefer actual knobs/buttons for climate & stereo. I have never liked the fact that I have to go into the U Connect menu for some basic climate control functions
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 06:55 AM   #11
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Yeah, the legacy car companies are not "tech" companies. LOL
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 09:39 AM   #12
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I generally like Mark's (Savagegeese) videos. But I also agree this video misses the mark. It's one big infomercial for Toyota. And I have to say Toyota is THE worst with developing Infotainment systems and the user interface. I'm listening to all the BS from these Toyota talking heads about how they did so much research and development involving user feedback and wonder where the hell was all of that with their current infotainment systems? I'm coming from this as an actual Toyota owner. The Entune 3.0 system is a total piece of $hit. The apps that they keep talking about which are available in the Entune 3.0 system is total garbage. The only thing I've used with some benefit is Yelp. Their excuse for a GPS app, if you didn't opt for the full blown nav system which runs as a traditional nav system where it requires maps updates, is total garbage. The GPS app is called Scout GPS. Directions were wonky at times. The only way to get a full map view is you are required to plug in your phone into the USB port and have the Entune 3.0 app installed on your phone. Many times the hand shake over the USB port just wouldn't work. So you're stuck with Bluetooth connectivity which only gives you turn by turn. To add insult to injury, the Scout GPS app only functions as a free trial for I think 3 years. After that, you're expected to pay for that garbage to keep it working. Navigating around the various settings within Entune is also clunky.

To top it all off, Toyota's overall roadmap and standardization across all their global markets was and probably still is so screwed up it's laughable. Their ad hoc hit and miss selection of which cars are eligible for connected upgrades along with how some markets get an upgrade versus another is a total mess. When I bought my 2019 C-HR the dealer staff kept telling me they're expecting a firmware update to the head unit to give it Android Auto. Well, it's now 3 years since buying the car and no update. Yeah, I can hear the anti dealership people here saying what do you expect from a dealer...lying to make a sale. Yet there are numerous other North American owners of these types of vehicles (model year 2019) that were told the same thing from their dealers. Toyota corporate couldn't even get their messaging to their dealers right. Then they released an Android Auto upgrade to a limited number of 2019 model year cars in the Australian market but gave the middle finger to the rest of the world.

On the topic of security which was brought up in the video. The talking heads kept talking about how they put the utmost into making sure personal data is fully protected. That's the same excuse they used as a lame reason why Android Auto wasn't put into the latest generation of infotainment head units when they were initially released. But somehow model year 2020 cars all got Android Auto. I looked into possibly buying a 2020 model year head unit with Android Auto for my car as the head unit physically didn't change. Toyota wanted $7k for the damn head unit. Since looking into physically upgrading my head unit, I've found a much better solution in the form of a CarlinkIT full Android box that plugs into the USB port and provides full Android (not Android Auto) through the Carplay interface. This also brings up another thing about their investment in interior/technology design. My car is marketed for the young hip connected demographic. ONE USB port....really Toyota? Toyota has had a number of years to fix this and they haven't. The current 2022 model still only has one USB port.

Also on the topic of security as this was brought up in the video. When they were talking about supply chain security along with tampering of the physical components, to me, it's a veiled justification for them to push their anti right to repair agenda. Toyota is one of the biggest contributors to the anti right to repair lobbyists.

Subscriptions kept being talked about in the video. Scout GPS was their first push into this. And now you see them applying it to their remote start feature. You only see it in the fine print that you only enjoy this feature for a number of years before you have to pay for it to keep it working. Nice. I don't know if Toyota has back tracked from this stupid idea but many reviewers have been making tons of jokes and negative comments about this. What's next? Subscription based use on heated seats? Remote unlock and locking of your doors?

With my experience with how terrible Toyota has dropped the ball on their implementation of tech and their early warning shots on subscriptions, I don't know if I'd buy another Toyota product.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 10:17 AM   #13
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
What's next? Subscription based use on heated seats? Remote unlock and locking of your doors?
Yes, 100% yes. Give it 10 years it'll be everywhere like micro-transactions in video games.

Analog cars pre-2012ish will continue to go up as sensible people shy away from this rubbish.
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      06-07-2022, 11:16 AM   #14
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Yes, 100% yes. Give it 10 years it'll be everywhere like micro-transactions in video games.

Analog cars pre-2012ish will continue to go up as sensible people shy away from this rubbish.
This whole subscription model goes beyond just what's happening with cars. People have been conditioned to accept this. Look what happened to music. Companies love this as it enforces a continuous revenue stream and THEY have control over the product which they can leverage the DMCA to enforce.
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      06-07-2022, 11:26 AM   #15
Cos270
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Garage List
2015 F22 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
This whole subscription model goes beyond just what's happening with cars. People have been conditioned to accept this. Look what happened to music. Companies love this as it enforces a continuous revenue stream and THEY have control over the product which they can leverage the DMCA to enforce.
The push for EVs is the catalyst. The end game is subscription models as "ownership". 100% privately-owned vehicles are going to be a thing of the past, if companies get their way.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 11:33 AM   #16
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos270 View Post
The push for EVs is the catalyst. The end game is subscription models as "ownership". 100% privately-owned vehicles are going to be a thing of the past, if companies get their way.
Internet says 30% of cars are leased. Almost a third the way there.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 11:47 AM   #17
Cos270
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2015 F22 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I'll leave a link to a post I made in another thread, but I'm talking about more than just leasing vs. owning individual vehicles. The number of cars per capita is the real enemy of emissions, which is how this all circles back (in theory)

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...3#post28868503
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 11:51 AM   #18
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'll leave a link to a post I made in another thread, but I'm talking about more than just leasing vs. owning individual vehicles. The number of cars per capita is the real enemy of emissions, which is how this all circles back (in theory)

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...3#post28868503
I understand, I was trying to relate that if 30% of the market is leased, the concept of non-owneship is possibly a viable one. However, car sharing may not be as accepted by the market. I don't agree with reducing the number of privately owned units will reduce GHG emissions because cars are only polluting when they are driven. The politicos want to reduce the number of miles driven per capita. Don't think writing an Executive Order hasn't been thought of. Lol.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 06-07-2022 at 11:57 AM..
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      06-07-2022, 12:38 PM   #19
Cos270
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2015 F22 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
I understand, I was trying to relate that if 30% of the market is leased, the concept of non-owneship is possibly a viable one. However, car sharing may not be as accepted by the market. I don't agree with reducing the number of privately owned units will reduce GHG emissions because cars are only polluting when they are driven. The politicos want to reduce the number of miles driven per capita. Don't think writing an Executive Order hasn't been thought of. Lol.
Ah, I see. I misunderstood. I don't agree either, and think people's eyes are bigger than their stomachs. Just glad I bought my car when I did and I never plan on selling it.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 12:50 PM   #20
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ah, I see. I misunderstood. I don't agree either, and think people's eyes are bigger than their stomachs. Just glad I bought my car when I did and I never plan on selling it.
As I said in the other thread you linked to, not everyone lives in a city. Where I live, waiting for an autonomous EV to pick me up would not be economical for the car service provider. It's 26 miles just to get to my place and then back out. And then I have a bridge to cross with no guardrails (try that Tesla, lol). There are tens of millions of Americans who are not served by city-based infrastructure.
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      06-13-2022, 08:38 AM   #21
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
I would have thought it was more. Seems like everyone leases these days. Although I guess it's easier for some to get approved for 500 month loans and be forever upside down.
      06-13-2022, 10:38 AM   #22
Equilibrandt
Auto/DCT Zealot
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, Miata

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
I would have thought it was more. Seems like everyone leases these days. Although I guess it's easier for some to get approved for 500 month loans and be forever upside down.
You're telling me that for zero $ down I can get a 3 series LCI with ID8 for 96 months!?

Sign me up!
Appreciate 1
Burrcold5213.00