New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Sim Racing

12-02-2022, 08:48 AM   #23
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfritz27 View Post
What are you guys running for wheel/pedal setups? I've only had this Logitech G29... definitely don't want to drop the $$ now as I've been spending it elsewhere, but for those with comparison experience, would something like a CSL DD + CSL pedals w/ load cell be "leaps and bounds" better?
Simagic Alpha with the GTC wheel. T-LCM pedal and Th8a shifter.

There are a couple things you get-

More Force
A g29 is like 2.2nm, a high end belt like a t-gt is 5.8nm. Low end DD are 5-8ish. The alpha is a 15nm base, and really high end ones go up to 30ish. For GT3 in iracing I run mid 60% force scaling on the alpha. Its a workout.

This allows a few things-
1) Realistic forces. Especially open wheelers need high forces to replicate real steering. 10nm is probably fine for most people/cars.
2) Force scaling. For subtle forces to be perceptible they have to be a certain force. On weaker wheels that means bigger forces feel a lot closer to small forces and it can make everything muddy or you just end up turning small forces off. Its a harder balance.
3) headroom for no clipping, running larger diameter wheels, etc.

Better reaction/detail
Just due to the construction there is zero lash/stretch in a DD system. Its a little like putting solid bushings on your car. Everything is a little sharper. I've heard people say they can tell when they go over a paint line on a well setup track on dd.

So going from something like a g29 to a low end DD is going to be a huge jump. You'll get 3-5x the force. The detail will be significantly better.

If you only have a little to spend right now get a set of the t-lcm pedals. They are load cell pedals and will be light years better than the g29 pedals. There were some good sales over BF, but even at $230 they are well worth it. They'll probably do more to make you faster than a new wheel anyways.
Appreciate 1
jfritz271100.50
      12-02-2022, 09:45 AM   #24
jfritz27
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 CS

Thanks guys

Those pedals do seem like good value -- any thoughts on these vs Fanatec's CSL pedals? Would there be any software/compatibility concerns with a mixed-brand setup down the line (T pedals with a Fanatec DD for example)? I guess everything has its own config software so I guess shouldn't matter...
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 09:48 AM   #25
NYG
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Corvette Z06

Quote:
Thanks guys

Those pedals do seem like good value -- any thoughts on these vs Fanatec's CSL pedals? Would there be any software/compatibility concerns with a mixed-brand setup down the line (T pedals with a Fanatec DD for example)? I guess everything has its own config software so I guess shouldn't matter...
V3 > LCM > CSL

I don't think you'll have any problems mixing but no experience.
Appreciate 2
      12-02-2022, 09:54 AM   #26
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

Quote:
Thanks guys

I mix already. The tlcm are usb. Cheapo pedals plug in through your wheel and need to be compatible . Same with shifters. Higher end stuff just shows up as multiple devices

The real benefit is your device configuration software can swap presets for everything at once. If you ever want to play on console you will need to worry more.

If you play less sim centric games you may run into issues as a few of those do stupid things like only mapping one controller. It might be solvable via software, but I haven't looked.
Appreciate 1
jfritz271100.50