New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > E89 Z4 Photos / Video / Media Gallery

11-01-2020, 11:25 PM   #23
proboner
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0 6-speed

What a weekend!

Saturday morning I set out to get the calipers put back together. After some frustration I eventually realized that the piston boot on the rear caliper needed to be deformed with a punch and pulled out. With that figured out, they all went together rather easily.

Before getting to work on the car, I wanted to document the before state with regular 35is brakes.

It's all straight forward and something I've done many times on other cars, but despite previous experience, there's always the specific nuance of a new car that builds that frustration. I managed to get the drivers side brakes and suspension finished by the end of Saturday.

Started early today decided to get a few more pictures of the differences between the stock setup and the new parts I was installing.

35is front calipers are much larger than 35i, but a lot the size is superfluous.

The rears look and may in fact be basically the same, except that the caliper brackets are obviously a bit different to accommodate the larger rotors.

And as can be seen the rotors are both a bit larger in diameter, but are also thicker

Also compared the rear springs. ST -> H&R -> Stock

And front springs. ST -> H&R -> Stock

Although the the ST front's are taller than the H&R, the spring perch on the strut is considerably lower.

Although I must say I'm a bit upset that the shock isn't located lower in the strut body. This is usually done on aftermarket lowering springs to keep lowered cars in the shock sweet spot. sigh.

So today I finished up the passenger side install, which went much faster. Unfortunately found that the 513M wheels are now rubbing on the coil seat! Haha, it's never ending. Oh well, now at least I have an excuse to buy the new wheels and tires.

Still need to get the ride height figured out and the brakes bled. I bought speed bleeders to make the bleeding easy, but I've done quick bleeds twice now and still have air in the lines.

Thats all for now.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 01:05 AM   #24
Ichiro
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4

Sweet. well done on the brake and coilover install. How did you get the rear spring in? I struggled with that.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 12:48 PM   #25
proboner
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiro View Post
Sweet. well done on the brake and coilover install. How did you get the rear spring in? I struggled with that.
Got a crowbar into the lower control arm and leveraged it down and had a friend slip the spring in there. It's the one part of the job that really requires 2 people.
Appreciate 1
Ichiro3.00

11-05-2020, 04:35 PM   #26
MurphsLaww
Registered
Rep
Drives: 11' 3.0i, 230i, 15' Stang GT

Following.

Picked up a 2011, 3.0, really to use as a Turo car, but I'm in the same boat, without a screen.

If you don't mind, how much did your Hifimaxnavi run you out the door ? Trying to decide if it's worth it. Probably so, if just for the rear camera option.

Beautiful car, BTW. Mine is Titanium, with the M-sport, and the red interior. These cars are really curvy, and I've always loved them. Can't wait.

Thanks,

Shawn

***more I look a pics of your car, the more I'm wishing I had chosen black. Texas summers, though...***

Last edited by MurphsLaww; 11-06-2020 at 05:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 05:41 PM   #27
proboner
Private
Rep

Thanks!

I think I paid like $800 shipped for my screen. You can get them cheaper but can't speak to quality of those units.
Appreciate 0