New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-26-2021, 12:33 PM   #3257
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Sedan_Clan maybe you can provide a little background on the recent changes of crime reporting? I still don't understand all the acronyms, and I freaking work in government since I was a teen (get OFF my lawn). To compare statistics now with 2+ years ago isn't even apples and oranges. NIBR seems like a huge deal, but I don't know the details.

I work for a PD, my background is checked on the regular since I can potentially access CJI data, and I STILL can't get a CCW. During my previous employment with federal government, I held Secret clearance level, STILL can't get a CCW. The local guys often invite me along on range, so I can assist in the documentation on the laptop. Oh, and to make sure they can send enough lead down-range to justify the next allotment of lead.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25196.50
vreihen1615482.50
      05-26-2021, 01:32 PM   #3258
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Sedan_Clan maybe you can provide a little background on the recent changes of crime reporting? I still don't understand all the acronyms, and I freaking work in government since I was a teen (get OFF my lawn). To compare statistics now with 2+ years ago isn't even apples and oranges. NIBR seems like a huge deal, but I don't know the details.

I work for a PD, my background is checked on the regular since I can potentially access CJI data, and I STILL can't get a CCW. During my previous employment with federal government, I held Secret clearance level, STILL can't get a CCW. The local guys often invite me along on range, so I can assist in the documentation on the laptop. Oh, and to make sure they can send enough lead down-range to justify the next allotment of lead.
I know someone who worked directly under Sheriff Smith (Santa Clara County) who still wasn't allowed to have a CCW...meanwhile, she gave one to a foreign billionaire who doesn't even live in the US.

I wonder how that case is going, last I heard everyone up to her #2 had been indighted and there's no way she didn't know about the shenanigans when it came to issuing permits...I mean hell there's only a few hundred issued.
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 02:25 PM   #3259
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
Quote:

I know someone who worked directly under Sheriff Smith (Santa Clara County) who still wasn't allowed to have a CCW...meanwhile, she gave one to a foreign billionaire who doesn't even live in the US.

I wonder how that case is going, last I heard everyone up to her #2 had been indighted and there's no way she didn't know about the shenanigans when it came to issuing permits...I mean hell there's only a few hundred issued.

Honestly, the whole CCW thing is stupid political. The county where I reside issues, quite liberally too. The county where I work?!? Fat chance!!!! Even our Custody Assistants couldn't get one, but 220 of our ex-Sheriff's closest friends/celebs could. It was/is ridiculous.
Appreciate 2
paquet629.50
      05-26-2021, 07:00 PM   #3260
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
I have a question to the people here.

I got pulled over in Utah for doing 89 in a 65. Cop was very nice to say he caught me at 89, but the thingy locked at 85, and he wrote me up for 80. (I knew I was speeding)

The interesting part is, I was driving my girlfriend's car. Which is registered to her mom's name, insurance as well. Gf is "part-time driver". This officer asked ID's from both of us, then asked me to leave the car to get in his Charger. So I do that but in my mind I'm thinking this is weird am I going to jail. Because I was doing 85-90 easy before he even told me I was lol. Asked him directly if this is a big fuck up and he says no in Utah it's 30 over for misdemeanor (illinois is 25 over). Anyway, along the way he starts asking what I'm doing there, if her mom knows and approves of me moving her cross country, asked me how we met etc. I'm thinking he's just making small talk to pass the time while the ticket is getting ready.

He leaves to give gf her ID back, and they chat a bit I presumed to let her know that I'm not going to jail and it's going to be okay bar a ticket. Comes back, asks if I have meth/coke/heroin/weed on me or any firearms (asked this twice, both for legal and illegal firearms) I get my ticket, we get on our ways, and I start talking to GF about it. Turns out he asked her how we met and what we were doing in Utah etc. Almost to check our stories.

Anyone know a reason as to why this happened? I'd love to blame the race card (i look white but name is fully turkish) but I also never had that happen to me, ever. Was I maybe profiled and the guy assumed I was kidnapping my girlfriend? I'm well over it, and I paid the $160 ticket, but it's been bugging me to figure out why I had to leave my car to get a ticket and get in the cop car. In Illinois at least you just wait in the car until they come with the paper that officializes your fuck up.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 07:09 PM   #3261
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Pickle View Post

I got pulled over in Utah for doing 89 in a 65. Cop was very nice to say he caught me at 89, but the thingy locked at 85, and he wrote me up for 80. (I knew I was speeding)

The interesting part is, I was driving my girlfriend's car. Which is registered to her mom's name, insurance as well. Gf is "part-time driver". This officer asked ID's from both of us, then asked me to leave the car to get in his Charger. So I do that but in my mind I'm thinking this is weird am I going to jail. Because I was doing 85-90 easy before he even told me I was lol. Asked him directly if this is a big fuck up and he says no in Utah it's 30 over for misdemeanor (illinois is 25 over). Anyway, along the way he starts asking what I'm doing there, if her mom knows and approves of me moving her cross country, asked me how we met etc. I'm thinking he's just making small talk to pass the time while the ticket is getting ready.

He leaves to give gf her ID back, and they chat a bit I presumed to let her know that I'm not going to jail and it's going to be okay bar a ticket. Comes back, asks if I have meth/coke/heroin/weed on me or any firearms (asked this twice, both for legal and illegal firearms) I get my ticket, we get on our ways, and I start talking to GF about it. Turns out he asked her how we met and what we were doing in Utah etc. Almost to check our stories.

Anyone know a reason as to why this happened? I'd love to blame the race card (i look white but name is fully turkish) but I also never had that happen to me, ever. Was I maybe profiled and the guy assumed I was kidnapping my girlfriend? I'm well over it, and I paid the $160 ticket, but it's been bugging me to figure out why I had to leave my car to get a ticket and get in the cop car. In Illinois at least you just wait in the car until they come with the paper that officializes your fuck up.
It's not uncommon for me/us to check stories.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 07:48 PM   #3262
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Human trafficking investigation?????
      05-26-2021, 08:14 PM   #3263
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Quote:

Ahhhh, to be young and stupid again
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 08:46 PM   #3264
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Human trafficking investigation?????
Bingo.
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615482.50
      05-26-2021, 08:50 PM   #3265
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:
Anyone know a reason as to why this happened?
How old is your girlfriend? And how old are you?

The cop was checking to see if you were kidnapping or exploiting the girl/woman. He separated you two to get your stories without the other one knowing the questions. He compared your answers to hers.

Since he let you go, I guess he was satisfied.
Appreciate 2
      05-26-2021, 09:29 PM   #3266
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

It's good you worked your story out before starting to move product
F30lolz6808.00
vreihen1615482.50
paquet629.50
Buug95917868.00
      05-26-2021, 11:03 PM   #3267
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly320s View Post

The cop was checking to see if you were kidnapping or exploiting the girl/woman. He separated you two to get your stories without the other one knowing the questions. He compared your answers to hers.

she is 21, i am 23.

that's so fricking weird! i never once would've thought i look like i move humans for cash. almost offended lol
Appreciate 2
      05-26-2021, 11:04 PM   #3268
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly320s View Post

she is 21, i am 23.

that's so fricking weird! i never once would've thought i look like i move humans for cash. almost offended lol
Wellllllll, we don't know what you look like. Lol!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 11:06 PM   #3269
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Wellllllll, we don't know what you look like. Lol!
I always picture him as the guy in his avatar pic lmao
Appreciate 3
Esteban44356.00
Sedan_Clan25196.50
      05-27-2021, 02:29 AM   #3270
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Sedan Clan, If you were not in law enforcement but knew what you know about how CHP issues speeding tickets, how fast would you drive on Interstate 5 from the Grapevine up to Tracy? Goal: You want to get there fast and safe, but you don't want to get pulled over.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25196.50
      05-27-2021, 02:33 AM   #3271
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
Sedan Clan, If you were not in law enforcement but knew what you know about how CHP issues speeding tickets, how fast would you drive on Interstate 5 from the Grapevine up to Tracy? Goal: You want to get there fast and safe, but you don't want to get pulled over.
Set your cruise control to 78 MPH and stay out of the fast lane.
Appreciate 4
sygazelle11489.00
M5Rick61006.50
vreihen1615482.50
      05-27-2021, 02:39 AM   #3272
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
78 is about what I do now. I will move to the slow lane to not block drivers who want to go faster, but if there is nobody behind me, I prefer the fast lane because the pavement is not beat up by the heavy truck traffic.

Do you think CHP considers which lane you are in as well as speed when issuing a speeding ticket?
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25196.50
      05-27-2021, 02:55 AM   #3273
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
78 is about what I do now. I will move to the slow lane to not block drivers who want to go faster, but if there is nobody behind me, I prefer the fast lane because the pavement is not beat up by the heavy truck traffic.

Do you think CHP considers which lane you are in as well as speed when issuing a speeding ticket?
Absolutely, that's why I suggested it. I worked for that department for 7 years. Staying out of that lane is your first step to avoiding a citation. It's the lane where you catch the fastest drivers, so naturally it's the primary focus when it comes to speed enforcement.
Appreciate 3
sygazelle11489.00
jamesinaz1665.00
vreihen1615482.50
      05-27-2021, 03:57 AM   #3274
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep

Sedan Clan

Here's a followup question:

When cars are speeding in a group, will the CHP "go after" the driver in the front, or will they pull over one of the trailing cars going the same speed?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 04:27 AM   #3275
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Sedan Clan

Here's a followup question:

When cars are speeding in a group, will the CHP "go after" the driver in the front, or will they pull over one of the trailing cars going the same speed?
There's no rhyme or reason really. Sometimes you go for the easiest vehicle to catch and sometimes you go for the lead car. It's like a game of whack-a-mole. Lol!
Appreciate 3
cmyx6go15803.50
vreihen1615482.50
mahalom3163.00
      05-27-2021, 05:21 AM   #3276
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
There's no rhyme or reason really. Sometimes you go for the easiest vehicle to catch and sometimes you go for the lead car. It's like a game of whack-a-mole. Lol!
Wouldn't it be wise, for safety, to pull the big fat SUV with 4 kids in it rather than the BMW sedan with a mid-aged couple in it?
All other things being equal....
Appreciate 1
sygazelle11489.00
      05-27-2021, 05:25 AM   #3277
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
Quote:
Wouldn't it be wise, for safety, to pull the big fat SUV with 4 kids in it rather than the BMW sedan with a mid-aged couple in it?
All other things being equal....
You act like we know who's behind the wheel when we decide, from a distance, to pull someone over. I pull over whichever car catches my attention.
Appreciate 3
Murf99314116.00
mahalom3163.00
sygazelle11489.00
      05-27-2021, 05:34 AM   #3278
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
You act like we know who's behind the wheel when we decide, from a distance, to pull someone over. I pull over whichever car catches my attention.
I can tell an SUV from a sport sedan, and can often see the heads inside.
I would think a larger, less capable vehicle, more dangerous to others, often used as a family hauler, would warrant the pull over first.
All other things being equal.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick61006.50