New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-24-2020, 09:27 AM   #155
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatre View Post
Same here in the Carolinas.

If we have to be stuck at home, mild weather and lots of clear days make it more bearable.

And to make it even better, pollen season is winding down!
Yes...finally!!
      04-24-2020, 09:30 AM   #156
MPOWER5266
Major
Rep
Drives: 1997 Dinan m3

Apparently heat, humidity, and sunlight can possibly kill covid quickly. Its like Georgia was made to kill it. Haha
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 06:04 PM   #157
bimmer pleaser V2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C43

This is a new study in California suggesting the death rate is much lower than previously thought.The county in the study had 600 deaths and 8000 confirmed cases resulting in about 8% mortality rate so far, but antibody test suggests the infected numbers to be much higher, 28 to 55 times. If the study is right the actual death rate seems to be 0.15 to 0.25%. But that would pretty much mean the entire state of NY was infected because 0.1% of state population died from this.
Appreciate 2
Littlebear3509.50
RickFLM410951.50
      04-26-2020, 06:17 PM   #158
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Yes, it's hard to know what to make of the testing results. NYC is showing 20% with antibodies.
Is this good because so many have survived with little harm?
Or is it bad because with so many infected, further contact & spread will be so difficult to contain?

Murf
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 06:32 PM   #159
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

The antibody testing is important to know the extent of infection and transmission to update models that are used for public policy.

However, it would also be nice for us to know conclusively whether the people with antibodies are immune from reinfection or not. I keep hearing there is no evidence of immunity but haven’t heard much about testing to prove or disprove the theory that antibodies being present = no / low probability of reinfection. I am neither a scientist nor a doctor but presume this has to be testable?
      04-26-2020, 06:34 PM   #160
bimmer pleaser V2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
Yes, it's hard to know what to make of the testing results. NYC is showing 20% with antibodies.
Is this good because so many have survived with little harm?
Or is it bad because with so many infected, further contact & spread will be so difficult to contain?

Murf
it is good. we were not going to contain this unless we all get locked up in our home until a vaccine is available. Why would NYC even need vaccine If they are 20% infected now? They'll reach herd immunity in a couple of months.

that's IF the study is reliable.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 07:11 PM   #161
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer pleaser V2 View Post
I'm not sure we are to this point yet.

Murf
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 07:29 PM   #162
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
it is good. we were not going to contain this unless we all get locked up in our home until a vaccine is available. Why would NYC even need vaccine If they are 20% infected now? They'll reach herd immunity in a couple of months.

This is not an accurate interpretation. If the current clusterfk in NYC is 20% infection rate, they certainly can't handle 40-50%; they are barely keeping their heads above water dealing with the flood of casualties and infections now. Herd immunity doesn't really start until you get up into the 70-80% range, and not really 'immunity' until about 95% - they see things like measels outbreaks when the rate of immunized kids drops below about 96-97%. And that is under the optimistic condition that having been infected actually confers immunity - certainly questionable, since there are validated reports of fairly rapid reinfection.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 11:02 PM   #163
bimmer pleaser V2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
This is not an accurate interpretation. If the current clusterfk in NYC is 20% infection rate, they certainly can't handle 40-50%; they are barely keeping their heads above water dealing with the flood of casualties and infections now. Herd immunity doesn't really start until you get up into the 70-80% range, and not really 'immunity' until about 95% - they see things like measels outbreaks when the rate of immunized kids drops below about 96-97%. And that is under the optimistic condition that having been infected actually confers immunity - certainly questionable, since there are validated reports of fairly rapid reinfection.
anti body test determines the number of the people who got infected at some point and recovered, not the ones who are currently infected. This test is telling you that about 1.6M in NYC got infected, recovered and are probably immune now. It has nothing to do with the number of sick people. How is that a bad thing?

I know that herd immunity is achieved at about 80%, in fact, if 20% got infected and immuned in a few weeks you don't even need a month to reach herd immunity.

This is all assuming these researches are accurate.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2020, 07:39 PM   #164
9M71
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Unfortunately we're going to see 40-50% real soon, with the amount of covidiots out and about pretending everything is okay. Whats the encouraging news about this... guess it'll be over sooner than later as a result
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 05:00 AM   #165
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
anti body test determines the number of the people who got infected at some point and recovered, not the ones who are currently infected. This test is telling you that about 1.6M in NYC got infected, recovered and are probably immune now. It has nothing to do with the number of sick people. How is that a bad thing?....
Isn't the worry now, if so many have been infected, how many can still transmit to others?

Murf
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 05:02 AM   #166
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Any how, the good news is that I saw the Bue Angels & Thunderbirds fly over NY Harbor yesterday. It was pretty cool, but I was not at a good sight point.

Murf
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2020, 01:01 PM   #167
bimmer pleaser V2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Recovered virus patients retest positive due to 'dead' virus fragments: experts
Appreciate 2
Littlebear3509.50
wdb4695.50
      04-29-2020, 02:41 PM   #168
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep

Bimmer Pleaser,

That could be excellent news. Thnks!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 03:26 PM   #169
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

I got a call from the dentist's office yesterday. My May 4 appointment will be rescheduled for after they open, which has not been determined yet.

One day later: I got a call from my eye doctor's office today. I go in on May 11. Special procedures will be in place and so on, but still -- that is progress.

Things are easing up. The roads had a lot of traffic on them today during our weekly shopping run, compared to the past few weeks. Shelter-in-place is being replaced with be-smart-when-you-go-out.

I wonder when local restaurants will reopen for sit down meals. I'm thinking pretty soon. People are figuring out how to conduct business with relatively low risk of contagion. I think that's a good thing.
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2020, 05:50 PM   #170
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Went to Walmart today for the first time in two weeks. Vast improvement over last time. Just about everyone wearing a mask. Saw two college age kids w/o masks who were yakking on their phones, which makes it worse, and one guy just strolling around w/o a mask. Then as I was leaving, I saw a guy in his late 70's to early 80's talking with a greeter and he didn't have a mask. Not only is he a danger to himself, but at that age he could easily have friends in nursing homes and might even be in an assisted living facility himself, and therefore a good candidate to be a carrier. That said, there hasn't been a report of any new cases in the county in a couple of days.

Tried to stop by a burger place around 11:30 to grab lunch, but the line of cars was backed up into the street. Just as well, I guess. I can live without the junk food.

One bit of good news, there's a local bar/restaurant here that makes incredible ribs and other dinners. They're finally opening for curbside delivery next week. Looking forward to good ribs again.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 2
wdb4695.50
      05-01-2020, 09:19 PM   #171
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I'm an environmental consultant and I am OSHA Hazadous Waste Operations and Emergency Response (HAZWOPER) trained. The reality is masks don't do crap for something like COVID 19. Appropriate and effective PPE is what I'm trained for. Medical masks are designed to keep doctors from spitting on patients while under surgery and to keep blood from shooting up their nose and mouth. They are ineffective for a virus that is transmitted via aerosol. You need an airtight mask to make it work.

The WHO has studied these things to death. They're ineffective for something like COVID 19. I'd trust them way over the CDC who is simply winging it at this point and has no science to back up their face mask recommendation.

Wearing these masks can actually increase your risk of infection because most people don't have a clue on how to handle and remove them.

It is just annoying that I'm forced to feel guilty if I don't wear one knowing they don't do squat and what I've been taught for over 20 years.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
      05-01-2020, 09:50 PM   #172
Jordan's World
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i M-Sport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I'm an environmental consultant and I am OSHA Hazadous Waste Operations and Emergency Response (HAZWOPER) trained. The reality is masks don't do crap for something like COVID 19. Appropriate and effective PPE is what I'm trained for. Medical masks are designed to keep doctors from spitting on patients while under surgery and to keep blood from shooting up their nose and mouth. They are ineffective for a virus that is transmitted via aerosol. You need an airtight mask to make it work.

The WHO has studied these things to death. They're ineffective for something like COVID 19. I'd trust them way over the CDC who is simply winging it at this point and has no science to back up their face mask recommendation.

Wearing these masks can actually increase your risk of infection because most people don't have a clue on how to handle and remove them.

It is just annoying that I'm forced to feel guilty if I don't wear one knowing they don't do squat and what I've been taught for over 20 years.
Surly gloves are viable. You know, because a micron thick sheet of latex covering your palms is most definitely an effective measure against viral droplets.

Also, I feel the same way when not wearing a mask. I was practically shunned at Publix this morning for not having a piece of fabric on my face. Call me crazy, but if I don't already have the antibodies, I'll risk getting this thing and getting it over with.

Last edited by Jordan's World; 05-01-2020 at 09:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2020, 09:55 PM   #173
bigrum
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP

Quote:

I'm right there with you, I also graduated with a degree in occupational health and safety mgmt. At this point we're just putting on the masks to fit in with the masses I see at the store...
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
      05-01-2020, 10:28 PM   #174
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:

I've read the WHO report on masks. They never say it's ineffective. They do say it's inconclusive due to lack of research data, which is understandable at this point. They also stress the downsides of masks, such as a false sense of security that may lead people to be less careful, which is also understandable. The idea of masks in public is not so much to protect you from the virus if you walk through a cloud of contaminated droplets. If that happens, a home made mask is minimally effective, if at all. The mask is more to reduce the spray of droplets from someone who may be infected and coughs. Any reduction in the release of contaminated droplets offered by the mask is a good thing.

It took many years of data before people finally accepted that seat belts save lives. And yet some people still refuse to wear them. When I read in the paper about someone dying in a rollover accident, I know there's a line in there that will say they weren't wearing a seat belt. Data will eventually come out that widespread use of even rudimentary masks will help reduce (not prevent, but reduce) community spread of COVID-19. As with seat belts, there is simply no good reason to not wear a mask in this environment.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 5
RickFLM410951.50
Littlebear3509.50
dmatre664.50
wdb4695.50
      05-02-2020, 05:12 AM   #175
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:

Being in my line of work (chemicals....and bad ones) , I have some PPE that would freak some people out if I were to wear it out in public!
      05-02-2020, 07:23 AM   #176
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

The masks aren't to protect YOU from ME. They're to protect ME from YOU. Getting socially ostracized for not wearing one in confined public spaces sounds about right to me.
Appreciate 4
Maynard3830.00
dmatre664.50
9M711233.50