New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

09-19-2019, 08:49 AM   #243
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

And here is a shot showing the OEM PDC screen (not my Z4).
Shows up very nicely, I'll be changing my aftermarket rear sensors to front/rear OEM PDC in the coming months (as well as changing the reversing camera to a licence plate centrally located one instead of the light position) and I'll upload it to my YouTube channel as a full How-To as well.
Attached Images

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 03:44 AM   #244
Geozz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 20i

Nice Dave, it would be great if you post it.
BTW, do you have an idea of the best camera?

I'have recieved mine some weeks ago and I'love this tablet, it works great, but for unknown reason, you can't manually enable the bluetooth in the settings (it stays on OFF whatever you're doing) So, any apps which need to activate bluetooth isn't working

I've been looking into the factory settings, the bluetooth codec and versions... but nope, dosen't work

If you have an idea guys, or know of this problem, tell me please =)
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 09:07 AM   #245
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesZed View Post
Yes it has a built in mic, it's the small hole on the left side, should pick your voice up without an issue, it does on mine and it's the wrong side for me.
You may have to check your settings, there is one for mic sensitivity that should help.
Thank you sir
      09-26-2019, 12:04 PM   #246
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geozz View Post

I'have recieved mine some weeks ago and I'love this tablet, it works great, but for unknown reason, you can't manually enable the bluetooth in the settings (it stays on OFF whatever you're doing) So, any apps which need to activate bluetooth isn't working

I've been looking into the factory settings, the bluetooth codec and versions... but nope, dosen't work

If you have an idea guys, or know of this problem, tell me please =)
Go to the Settings menu, and to System Info. 1314 OK gets you into the menu. Once there scroll down until you see the Bluetooth option, click ARM and you have now activated on-board Bluetooth for phone and music streaming.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 03:38 AM   #247
Geozz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 20i

Yeahhh that works ! =) Thanks a lot Dave !

Like an idiot I've done a factory reset (I'have removed the SD card before so it's okay)
Now it works with my phone, although not for the apps downloaded from playstore like ZUS app or Btoolkit

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 12:41 AM   #248
Zed4USA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW Z4 sDrive28i

The knock-off iDrive controller looks pretty, but works crap. I never use it.

Mostly the wireless CarPlay works well. Just make sure to install the software linked on the product box. And then make sure to update the app and box within the app's setup options. You do need to do DavesZed's android music app up and down on the steering wheel and then return to main screen, then load the CarPlay app workaround - in order to be able to "next track / previous track" with the steering wheel. The music playback jitters very slightly every minute or so. I think this is a problem for many CarPlay setups though. Overall, very pleased. It is great to not to have to take my phone out of my pocket, yet still get apple CarPlay on the nav.

*** Just don't try to use wireless charging in an enclosed space (arm rest / glove box). Your phone will overheat and glitch hardcore. Wired charging (arm rest / glove box) works fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dake View Post
A couple of questions:

@DavesZed
Did you have any chance to compare the knock-off iDrive controller vs. the real thing? I presume the OEM part will feel higher quality operating but it's not particularly great either, so I'm curious how they compare?

@Zed4USA
Do you have any issues with the autoconnect on wireless Carplay with the dongle you linked earlier? https://m.aliexpress.com/item/330191...g1564643398174
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 02:38 AM   #249
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geozz View Post
Sorry read this and completely forgot to respond to this bit

1) Post what?
2) Do you mean dashcam?
If you do then I have a generic Mini 0906 front and rear camera from eBay and connected via a ParkingGuard system hardwired into the fusebox with a switched and permanent feed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 02:48 AM   #250
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed4USA View Post
The knock-off iDrive controller looks pretty, but works crap. I never use it.
I use mine for scrolling while driving instead of leaning forward and touching the screen. It's not the best but it (well mine does) works for me for the odd occasion that I use it.

Quote:
….The music playback jitters very slightly every minute or so. I think this is a problem for many CarPlay setups though....
Yeah this has been discussed over on XDA Developers site many a time as a recurring problem that still hasn't been resolved. I have the old plug-in box and it does it on my wife's iPhone for CarPlay and on my Samsung for Android Auto
but if I use the Headunit Reloaded app for my Samsung (Android Auto emulator, alas not for CarPlay) it runs perfectly smooth, so it's definitely a problem with the box side of it. It doesn't matter which one you buy either as all of the boxes do it!

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 01:27 AM   #251
Zed4USA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Hmm… I don't think the knock-off iDrive controller even works in CarPlay (100% of my use). If I think of it, I'll try changing tracks or something.

Quote:
I use mine for scrolling while driving instead of leaning forward and touching the screen. It's not the best but it (well mine does) works for me for the odd occasion that I use it.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 08:06 AM   #252
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hmm… I don't think the knock-off iDrive controller even works in CarPlay (100% of my use). If I think of it, I'll try changing tracks or something.
Arr, sorry I thought you meant in general, no it doesn't work for the CarPlay app

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 12:52 PM   #253
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep

Quick question, how are updates provided for? Been looking through XDA, but not sure if the regular rockchip files would work
      12-13-2019, 05:38 PM   #254
Graperi10
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4 35IS

Hello,
Can someone help me?
I installed version 10.25 with hydrive, my z4 does not have a navigator, and it used Business cd radio.
I want to ask questions

Idrive, as soon as I press the FM Radio button, the Clock appears, I wanted to know if you can control the Radio from the monitor.

and even when I press Media the same thing appears clock

as for Idrive it doesn't go right and left as original, and normal?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2019, 08:25 AM   #255
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graperi10 View Post
Hello,
Can someone help me?
I installed version 10.25 with hydrive, my z4 does not have a navigator, and it used Business cd radio.
I want to ask questions

Idrive, as soon as I press the FM Radio button, the Clock appears, I wanted to know if you can control the Radio from the monitor.

and even when I press Media the same thing appears clock
If you don't already have the OEM iDrive system (flip-up screen) then pressing those buttons will do nothing (apart from the clock). You cannot control the radio from the screen as your screen only transmits an audio signal to the OEM headunit, it does not control it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graperi10 View Post
as for Idrive it doesn't go right and left as original, and normal?
Not really sure what you mean here. Do you mean if you turn the rotary controller it doesn't do anything? If so in what screen are you using it? What are you trying to do?

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 08:04 AM   #256
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep

Is this thread dead? Does anyone know how to get updates for this?
      02-29-2020, 03:25 AM   #257
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricanbandit View Post
Is this thread dead? Does anyone know how to get updates for this?
OK there are two options for the update.....

They are specific depending on the screen you have received.

Android 8.1 (this will ONLY work if it's 8.1)
This is the one I received from the manufacturers, I've had it on mine for the last six months and have found the following "issues" with it....
1) You loose the "door open" indication.
2) You loose the way to change the brightness of the screen.
3) If you use the ID7 visuals then there are sometimes problems scrolling with the rotary controller from the side (vertical) bar to the main tabs. Sometimes it did it on mine but most of the time it wouldn't so you have to press the screen instead.
Personally I believe this "update" was rushed out just to match the new BMW's.
On my Dropbox here >> https://www.dropbox.com/s/a9kwwpuwy2...files.rar?dl=0

The second is Android 9 (again this will ONLY work if its a 9 unit
It can be found here >> https://www.dropbox.com/s/kebhmibhhu...files.rar?dl=0

Both versions are zipped so will need unzipping (only the main package zip, not the internal zip file).
Please note - Follow the instructions, they are correct!! I know because the original instructions I received were NOT correct so this is the right way to do it from experience!!
Both files also contain the MCU files, these also need updating so that you can retain certain functions. Please do not say "this is missing" and "I can't do that" if you have not updated the MCU file.
Disclaimer** You do this at your own risk! I am not responsible for any problems that may arise from this update.

Last edited by DavesZed; 04-18-2020 at 06:55 AM.. Reason: Updated links and info
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 07:14 AM   #258
VincentZ4
France
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 28i M Package - 2014

Thanks Dave for your information. I've installed the Android 9 10.25" system and it works well + Carplay on my E89 28i.

I nevertheless have a remaining issue:
When I start my car, the screen displays the OEM screen and not the android one.

Is there a way to switch that: see the android boot screen instead of OEM ?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 07:07 AM   #259
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentZ4 View Post
Thanks Dave for your information. I've installed the Android 9 10.25" system and it works well + Carplay on my E89 28i.

I nevertheless have a remaining issue:
When I start my car, the screen displays the OEM screen and not the android one.

Is there a way to switch that: see the android boot screen instead of OEM ?
This may be a bit of trial and error on your part (I can't test this as I don't have the OEM iDrive on mine)
Into Settings, Factory settings (1314 OK)..... You could go down to "Vehicle Information Settings" (left of screen) and look at "Mode Memory" and try it in the "ON" setting and see if that makes a difference. Otherwise it may be one of the strangely named settings within the "Arm setting" section.
I would suggest only trying one thing at a time. Once you have activated a setting you need to turn the car of completely for 15 seconds and then back on and see, this way it clears any current setting. Yes it could be a long process of elimination but alas the only way to find out.
But if I do find out in the meantime I'll post back

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 07:09 AM   #260
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
OK there are two options for the update.....

They are specific depending on the screen you have received.

Android 8.1 (this will ONLY work if it's 8.1)
This is the one I received from the manufacturers, I've had it on mine for the last six months and have found the following "issues" with it....
1) You loose the "door open" indication.
2) You loose the way to change the brightness of the screen.
3) If you use the ID7 visuals then there are sometimes problems scrolling with the rotary controller from the side (vertical) bar to the main tabs. Sometimes it did it on mine but most of the time it wouldn't so you have to press the screen instead.
Personally I believe this "update" was rushed out just to match the new BMW's.
On my Dropbox here >> https://www.dropbox.com/s/a9kwwpuwy2...files.rar?dl=0

The second is Android 9 (again this will ONLY work if its a 9 unit
It can be found here >> https://www.dropbox.com/s/kebhmibhhu...files.rar?dl=0

Both versions are zipped so will need unzipping (only the main package zip, not the internal zip file).
Please note - Follow the instructions, they are correct!! I know because the original instructions I received were NOT correct so this is the right way to do it from experience!!
Both files also contain the MCU files, these also need updating so that you can retain certain functions. Please do not say "this is missing" and "I can't do that" if you have not updated the MCU file.
Disclaimer** You do this at your own risk! I am not responsible for any problems that may arise from this update.
I've just updated the links and info in my previous post after speaking to the manufacturers about this.
On another point there will be no more updates for the 8.1 units and reading between the lines I doubt there will be anymore for the 9 now as the Android 10 units are on the market.

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 09:50 AM   #261
VincentZ4
France
Rep

Quote:
This may be a bit of trial and error on your part (I can't test this as I don't have the OEM iDrive on mine)
Into Settings, Factory settings (1314 OK)..... You could go down to "Vehicle Information Settings" (left of screen) and look at "Mode Memory" and try it in the "ON" setting and see if that makes a difference. Otherwise it may be one of the strangely named settings within the "Arm setting" section.
I would suggest only trying one thing at a time. Once you have activated a setting you need to turn the car of completely for 15 seconds and then back on and see, this way it clears any current setting. Yes it could be a long process of elimination but alas the only way to find out.
But if I do find out in the meantime I'll post back
Thanks for your feedback.
I've tried every single options I've found in my version.
MCU Version: 615043bALS-CIC-HW7-190628
APP Version: 2019092801T_1280x480_970

But the iDrive System is still booting first...
> It is necessary to do a long press in the Menu button to see android boot animation.
      04-18-2020, 09:52 AM   #262
VincentZ4
France
Rep

Quote:
I've just updated the links and info in my previous post after speaking to the manufacturers about this.
On another point there will be no more updates for the 8.1 units and reading between the lines I doubt there will be anymore for the 9 now as the Android 10 units are on the market.
Android 9 in RockChip PX6 rk3399 is not anymore maintained, Android 9 is the last version.

What is the version of Android 9 you put in dropbox ?
MCU version and App version ?
      04-21-2020, 02:28 PM   #263
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentZ4 View Post
Thanks for your feedback.
I've tried every single options I've found in my version.
MCU Version: 615043bALS-CIC-HW7-190628
APP Version: 2019092801T_1280x480_970

But the iDrive System is still booting first...
> It is necessary to do a long press in the Menu button to see android boot animation.
Have you followed the included instructions exactly? It can take up to 1 minute for anything to happen. When I updated a customers it did boot to Android first (Android 9) but when I did a re-install on my older version it went directly to the update.
Your app version looks like one of the last versions (September 28th 2019), I'll try to get the customer to send me the info of his update as I didn't keep a record of it (it wasn't for updating, he had a fault which the re-install cured)

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 04:04 AM   #264
Zed4USA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Just figured I'd update on the audio playback jitters with the wireless CarPlay adapter: with the most recent update to the "box" software update and firmware update - it seems to be much better. I used the built-in app update functionality within the "AutiKit" app.
Appreciate 0