New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

07-18-2016, 02:15 PM   #1
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Question Jeep Wrangler... Please talk me out of it

My commute recently changed to 99% train which means my car doesn't get very much use. With that being the case, I think I can finally justify getting the Wrangler I've always dreamed of owning because I don't have to commute in it.

It was designed with no consideration for comfort or aerodynamics but it's still one of the coolest, most iconic, and most fun cars on the road. I am acutely aware that the Wrangler does everything phenomenally well... except drive. For the first time in my life, that part doesn't really matter too much since my wife and kids are always in our Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi and my daily drive is only about 4 miles to the station. My current car never moves on the weekends.

What I'm asking is for some real-life feedback from those who own or have owned a Wrangler. I have four coworkers who all love theirs.

Part two of this conundrum is whether or not to get a manual. My current VW CC is my first automatic and it's boring as hell but I also think a manual SUV is kind of dumb as well since it's already one of the slowest cars on the road.

Help a brother out with some input. Thanks!

I would be getting either a Sahara (the cheap and sensible option) or the Rubicon Hard Rock (to avoid buyers' remorse). Both would be Unlimited.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 02:18 PM   #2
daonlyillwiz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M5

My friend has a 4 door wrangler and he too is in the same boat as you...he works in the city so he commutes to and from work M-F and drives on weekends (barely because he rides a motorcycle too). He loves the car from what I gather. I like it too honestly, we just went surf fishing last week with it, got to drive on the sand and all that fun stuff. If you're into that type of offroading/rugged life and dont mind getting 13mpg then i would say go for it.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 02:26 PM   #3
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by daonlyillwiz View Post
My friend has a 4 door wrangler and he too is in the same boat as you...he works in the city so he commutes to and from work M-F and drives on weekends (barely because he rides a motorcycle too). He loves the car from what I gather. I like it too honestly, we just went surf fishing last week with it, got to drive on the sand and all that fun stuff. If you're into that type of offroading/rugged life and dont mind getting 13mpg then i would say go for it.
Yeah that's exactly what I mean - I go entire months without filling up at all. Fuel economy has no bearing on my decision. I just want an interesting and fun car.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 02:31 PM   #4
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
If I needed an 'suv' a jeep would not even be on my radar. I don't find them fun or interesting but that is me.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 02:35 PM   #5
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
My commute recently changed to 99% train which means my car doesn't get very much use. With that being the case, I think I can finally justify getting the Wrangler I've always dreamed of owning because I don't have to commute in it.

It was designed with no consideration for comfort or aerodynamics but it's still one of the coolest, most iconic, and most fun cars on the road. I am acutely aware that the Wrangler does everything phenomenally well... except drive. For the first time in my life, that part doesn't really matter too much since my wife and kids are always in our Grand Cherokee Overland Hemi and my daily drive is only about 4 miles to the station. My current car never moves on the weekends.

What I'm asking is for some real-life feedback from those who own or have owned a Wrangler. I have four coworkers who all love theirs.

Part two of this conundrum is whether or not to get a manual. My current VW CC is my first automatic and it's boring as hell but I also think a manual SUV is kind of dumb as well since it's already one of the slowest cars on the road.

Help a brother out with some input. Thanks!

I would be getting either a Sahara (the cheap and sensible option) or the Rubicon Hard Rock (to avoid buyers' remorse). Both would be Unlimited.
Why not buy a beater jeep and see how it is? It's such a change from a 135i im not sure how to gauge that. My friend was rolling around in a lifted Wrangler and loved it, coming from a 15' 528xi. He said it was head turner but the Jeep was an absolute dog, super duper slow.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 02:37 PM   #6
hockey21
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16SSM3.Prev ymbM,e46m3,e39 M5

i have one, i have a TJ... model year 05, which in my opinion is much cooler.

absolutely get the manual. on a hot summer day, with the doors off, i would rather be in my manual jeep that cost 15k dollars ( and is probably appreciating) over my 65,000 m3....

go manual!

another option is to keep your car, and get like a 5500 busted up one, thats equally as fun, and won't tie up a bunch of your money
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 02:37 PM   #7
OutlawX3M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 ZCP. 2020 BMW X3M

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Hard to say anything bad about the Wrangler, it's almost in a class by itself. As you said, it's iconic. And it's a modder's dream/nightmare. If you think modding an M3/4 is addictive, just wait until to have a Wrangler.... The Mopar parts book is just full of goodies and we haven't even touched on the 3rd party parts.

As for manual vs auto, drive both. There's some nuances to the manual with off-roading but if that's not your primary thing (it will become a thing once you have one of these), go for it. The auto might be OK especially in traffic. Personally the manual would be way more fun.

Some tips:
  • If you get the hardtop option, grab yourself a top hoist, you'll love it.
    Don't worry about spilling anything, the interior is built to be hosed down. There's even drainage ports in the floorboard.
    Save $ and go with cloth, you can purchase custom leather covers for the same price as the factory leather (which is a leather covers anyway).
    The ride is surprising -- it's almost car-like especially with the Unlimited.
    There isn't much towing capacity (if that's even a consideration).

Oh and if you really want to bust the bank Hauk will drop a HEMI into your Wrangler including the Hellcat.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 03:04 PM   #8
Killramos
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '19 M2 '21 X5

Garage List
Sit in the back seat for more than 15 minutes. That will be enough to talk you out of it. Literally the worst seats of any vehicle that I have ever experienced.

Aside from that the trunk area is also pretty useless, my 2 series is wider than the jeep. Can't laid a set of golf clubs down on their side.

Jeep is an alright toy, but they are expensive for what they are and not a great DD. I havent had great experiences with them.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 03:12 PM   #9
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

We're talking Chrysler/Fiat, is that not enough to talk you out of it ?
Appreciate 2
      07-18-2016, 03:24 PM   #10
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Resale is so strong, I've nearly bought one a few times just to have it. I miss having a convertible, but the kid makes it hard to get one. The new one coming out sounds promising, more aluminum, lighter, what could go wrong?!

It's the reasonably priced alternative to the D90/D110 I really want. Sad Buick V8 and all.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 03:31 PM   #11
Rambler
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 996 Turbo; G80 M3; FJ80 LC

I was considering a Wrangler recently and there were a few things for me that led me to get something else which may or may not be factors in your decision:

- Tow capacity is relatively low. If you don't need or plan to tow, not an issue.
- I wanted passenger space that was more roomy and comfortable.
- There isn't much storage space if you need to haul gear.
- I wanted a V8 or even a diesel. Nothing wrong with the V6 from what I understand but hey, this was more of an irrational thing.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 03:31 PM   #12
PTMedg
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' E93 335i

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I had a 98' TJ as a DD for about 4 years, now its retired on Martha's Vineyard. It is by far one of the most fun vehicles i have ever owned. with that being said it isn't very much fun on the highway especially if it is windy. You cannot keep anything in it if your not ok with someone being able to unzip your windows and take it. but for a fun car to kick around town, and take to the beach it is perfect. Even now when i drive it i get an instant smile on my face. the newer jeeps are much more comfortable to drive distance/highway than the older models, but i prefer the brick on wheels feel of the older models.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 03:37 PM   #13
Naz24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: W205 AMG C63 / E70 X5M

My father just got a manual Wrangler 75th anniversary. Cool car, doesnt drive great, but the stick shift is fun as hell.

I find the top to be annoying, so if you plan on keeping it topless in your garage, go for it. But putting that thing up and down is a disaster.

2017 C63
2012 X5M
SOLD: 2015 M3; 2007 X3 M Sport; 2014 X3 M Sport 35i; 2004 X5 4.4i; 1994 325i
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 03:49 PM   #14
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I should clarify things a bit further.

I do not need to haul or tow anything.

I don't even need to put anything in the trunk but I've checked out the space behind the seats in the Unlimited and it's on par with our Grand Cherokee (the boxy shape is a big plus). It's more than ample.

I would also get the hard top so not very concerned about the security aspect. I park in the garage at home and in my cousin's secured business parking lot during the day.

Chrysler is actually a plus for me because I get them at a substantial discount (like everyone else, lol)

Don't care about the back seat comfort. My kids are in car seats anyway and I doubt they'll give a shit after that. I keep telling my wife that it'll be their favorite car ever.

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 03:52 PM   #15
Coulson T
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: awaiting a MG M2

Wrangler, ???

As someone who has had 11 Jeeps, 6 of which were Wranglers or that design....look hard at something else or at least the Cherokee or the Grand Cherokee..if you need to commute in it on freeways...

In the event you are looking for something to blast around in the mud,woods or sand, with the top off and damn the weather,,,,, then pick a Wrangler..

Expect to replace the windshield on occasion and get handy with tools and learn all sorts of things that break at the most inopportune times..keeps one young full of life experiences and will remind one how far away civilization can be when you have to walk out for a tow truck or other means to get your ride home.....

But then when you are older and get a bit of Scotch into your gullet you can reminisce with the stories of your feats of close calls and survival......Sorry, I've not had my Scotch today so the memories are not yet rose colored..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 03:55 PM   #16
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coulson T View Post
As someone who has had 11 Jeeps, 6 of which were Wranglers or that design....look hard at something else or at least the Cherokee or the Grand Cherokee..if you need to commute in it on freeways...

In the event you are looking for something to blast around in the mud,woods or sand, with the top off and damn the weather,,,,, then pick a Wrangler..

Expect to replace the windshield on occasion and get handy with tools and learn all sorts of things that break at the most inopportune times..keeps one young full of life experiences and will remind one how far away civilization can be when you have to walk out for a tow truck or other means to get your ride home.....

But then when you are older and get a bit of Scotch into your gullet you can reminisce with the stories of your feats of close calls and survival......Sorry, I've not had my Scotch today so the memories are not yet rose colored..
Did you not even make it past the first post!?

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2016, 03:57 PM   #17
9krpmrx8
Clean is the new cool, keep it that way.
Rep
Drives: 11' Alpine White 335i Sedan

Can't go wrong with a Wrangler if you buy used. If you plan to do trails and get serious, get an auto. I have owned and offroaded Jeep XJ's for 20+ years , I prefer a Cherokee but the Wranglers are classic and I have always wanted one just never pulled the trigger. My daughter just totaled my 2001 Cherokee (not a scratch on her thankfully) so I am looking for a replacement myself.

I have lots or Wrangler friends and the only bad things I can say having driven theirs, is that they suck on road trips. Oh and if you offroad a lot. having a short wheel base can be less desirable.
      07-18-2016, 03:58 PM   #18
M235iguy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235ix

Anything made by Chrysler is junk. Wouldn't take one for free.
      07-18-2016, 03:58 PM   #19
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
No offroading here and I get a very substantial discount on Chrysler products so it would be new.

Appreciate 1
      07-18-2016, 04:02 PM   #20
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M235iguy View Post
Anything made by Chrysler is junk. Wouldn't take one for free.
We've had our Grand Cherokee for almost three years and it was in the dealer one time for a ticking HVAC fan motor. My 135i was in more then a dozen times and even left me completely stranded on my birthday (HPFP). If Chrysler is junk, what does that make my BMW? Toxic waste?

Appreciate 1
      07-18-2016, 04:10 PM   #21
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
We've had our Grand Cherokee for almost three years and it was in the dealer one time for a ticking HVAC fan motor. My 135i was in more then a dozen times and even left me completely stranded on my birthday (HPFP). If Chrysler is junk, what does that make my BMW? Toxic waste?
it sounds like you have already made up your mind. Go buy it.
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2016, 04:30 PM   #22
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Only buy it if you want to go off roading IMO
Appreciate 2