New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

08-11-2018, 12:58 AM   #23
RobbiZ4
Call me "Dr. Bob"
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89 sDrive 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wan186 View Post
I thought about that too. But let's clarify: here is the workshop & repair manual:
The relays should have be opened before the pump was dead...
----------
By the way, on the video, the relays is tagged 13A...
When i see salmon relays (exact same OEM reference) tagged with 73A.
Wtf?

RobbiZ4 How much your ones was tagged?
Quote:
The temperature in the hydraulic pump is measured to avoid the pump
overheating during frequent use of the retractable hardtop. Two cables connect
the temperature sensor ground-free to the convertible top module. A line break
(open circuit) results in a fault code being entered in the fault code memory. At
from a temperature of 90°C, hardtop closing movement already started is
continued up to the secure end position. The movement of the retractable hardtop
is stopped immediately at a temperature of 105°C.
The above text out of the E89 roof documentation was taken out of a Rosamunde Pilcher lovestory roman: sounds nice, but is far apart of real life!

Out of my initial post
[...]
The following link is not required to read! It will lead you to the backgrund story and the "why" did we discuss and analyze this topic.
http://www.zroadster.com/forum/index...raulik.133304/

The temperature is ONLY managed while the CTM (Cabrio Top Module) is active and opens or closes the roof (about 45 seconds). Then it shuts down and doesn't control any sensor anymore. If a relay contact melts/doesn't open anymore, the pump will run uncontrolled until it dies.

Have a look at my EGK diagram in the above named basic thread. Use Google translate, as it's in German!

EKG diagnostic sequence of the temperature sensor while the roof is moving:
[part1 - start]

[part 2 - shut down]

Till now I didn't find any infos about this "13A" or "73A" marker. It's different on most relays I've seen in the past and in pictures of the currrent discussions. It's AFAIK of no interest, migtht be a production info.

The second marker ist the production date of the relays: 0911, 1234, 1622 means week 11/2009, week 34/2012, week 22/2016 in the format of [YY/WW].

All further discussions and updated infos on the German ZROADSTER.COM forum as well as on the here blocked "spool street".com forum.

Last edited by RobbiZ4; 08-22-2021 at 01:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 05:54 AM   #24
Wan186
Rep
Drives: 2011 EU E89 sDrive 23i

Oh, I was replying to the previous guy about why you're story was true. Aka: the relays should have be opened but as they're stuck, they don't.

I readed the whole story for sure. Good job guy.

Was talking about this tag cause usually, the max amperage is tag on the relay. Since there was many providers for BMW for this relay (Siemens, Bosch, ngk, and now Tyco aka TE), I was thinking that maybe this last one is weak...
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 07:37 AM   #25
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wan186 View Post
Oh, I was replying to the previous guy about why you're story was true. Aka: the relays should have be opened but as they're stuck, they don't.

I readed the whole story for sure. Good job guy.

Was talking about this tag cause usually, the max amperage is tag on the relay. Since there was many providers for BMW for this relay (Siemens, Bosch, ngk, and now Tyco aka TE), I was thinking that maybe this last one is weak...
I don't feel that replacing a underrated or deficient design with another replica is a solution. Relays are not voodoo science. If we are assuming the points are overheating and melting closed, either the relay was defective or it's being asked to handle more load than it was designed for. Relays should work for thousands of cycles without any issue. I'd rather correct the reason for the failure.

I'm still not 100% convinced that an aging motor could not draw excess current and overload the relay. We are mainly looking at the starting current when the relay closes. That spike is usually too quick to blow a fuse but can be high enough to damage contractors.

Does anyone know the actual motor load and current rating on the relay?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 05:09 AM   #26
RobbiZ4
Call me "Dr. Bob"
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
I don't feel that replacing a underrated or deficient design with another replica is a solution. Relays are not voodoo science. If we are assuming the points are overheating and melting closed, either the relay was defective or it's being asked to handle more load than it was designed for. Relays should work for thousands of cycles without any issue. I'd rather correct the reason for the failure.

I'm still not 100% convinced that an aging motor could not draw excess current and overload the relay. We are mainly looking at the starting current when the relay closes. That spike is usually too quick to blow a fuse but can be high enough to damage contractors.

Does anyone know the actual motor load and current rating on the relay?
Didn't find any specification of this unit till now.

Initiated by your thougths. I've separated the hydraulic unit from the motor. The motor is completely defective and doesn't move anymore due to the melted plastics. The hydraulic unit instead is in a perfect condition, no friction at all.

From my point of view the relays are not weak, it's the electrical setup of the CTM and the two relays:
no additional switch to shut down this unit if a relay fails, no temperature control after the opening/closing sequence has finished as the CTM shuts down immediately.

And at least, replacing the relays all 2 to 5 years is much cheaper than anything else. Handle it for eaxmple like the maintenance of the brake fluid.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 06:55 AM   #27
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
When I get my Z back from the Dealer, I'll try to use my DC clamp on the motor leads to measure the actual current draw.

Ya, car has been in the shop having the top realigned. Last service before my CPO expires. They also dropped the transmission to replace a gasket.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 07:52 AM   #28
Mayhem
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35is

I just replaced my relay yesterday. From seeing the location of the relays in the trunk, I am wondering if the failures are coming from moisture getting into that area of the trunk. I noticed it was in a recessed area, and perhaps water and moisture seeping in is what has caused the relays to short?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 08:46 AM   #29
RobbiZ4
Call me "Dr. Bob"
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
I just replaced my relay yesterday. From seeing the location of the relays in the trunk, I am wondering if the failures are coming from moisture getting into that area of the trunk. I noticed it was in a recessed area, and perhaps water and moisture seeping in is what has caused the relays to short?
Did you read the analaysis of the destroyed pump? Google translate will be your frind.

Go back to #2

The reason of the damaged pump was a melted kontakt of one of the two relays. No water or moisture.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 01:53 PM   #30
Mayhem
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbiZ4 View Post
Did you read the analaysis of the destroyed pump? Google translate will be your frind.

Go back to #2

The reason of the damaged pump was a melted kontakt of one of the two relays. No water or moisture.
Yes, google translate is your friend. My question is, did the relays fail *because* they were shorted out by moisture? I get why the pump was damaged. I’m asking what caused the catastrophic failure of the relay itself? I’m not buying, “just because.” Before you get snarky with me, maybe you should take some time to read what I wrote.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 03:15 PM   #31
RobbiZ4
Call me "Dr. Bob"
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Yes, google translate is your friend. My question is, did the relays fail *because* they were shorted out by moisture? I get why the pump was damaged. I’m asking what caused the catastrophic failure of the relay itself? I’m not buying, “just because.” Before you get snarky with me, maybe you should take some time to read what I wrote.
No water in the trunc, no moisture at all.
Water can shorten a contact, but AFAIK never melt contacs. That means, if there is too much moisture in the trunk, the pump might start uncontrolled, but you can't find a melted contact in a relay.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 06:05 PM   #32
Romer
BMW and Toyota Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Z4 sDrive30i

I don't read him being snarky with you. Remember, English isn't his first language and I appreciate his reaching out outside of his home country to help other Z4 owners.

I am a moderator on a different forum and I find a lot of times it is the way the user reads the post which has a different tone than the way the author intended. Just trying to keep to keep the peace
      08-13-2018, 06:21 PM   #33
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer View Post
I don't read him being snarky with you. Remember, English isn't his first language and I appreciate his reaching out outside of his home country to help other Z4 owners.

I am a moderator on a different forum and I find a lot of times it is the way the user reads the post which has a different tone than the way the author intended. Just trying to keep to keep the peace
Agreed,

My posts could have come across as being confrontational as well.
Appreciate 1
Romer73.00
      08-25-2018, 05:58 PM   #34
cra3y
Poland
Rep
Drives: E89

Hi

Did You measure the actual current draw of hydraulic unit? I want to replace both relays in next week, but I'm kind interested of numbers (does current draw of hydraulic unit exceed this relay specs or not)
      08-25-2018, 08:47 PM   #35
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cra3y View Post
Hi

Did You measure the actual current draw of hydraulic unit? I want to replace both relays in next week, but I'm kind interested of numbers (does current draw of hydraulic unit exceed this relay specs or not)
I've had a little problem.

Hit a piece of road debris and wound up in a ditch.

Road debris was a driveshaft from a simi and I was running 75 plus. SUV in front of me simply ran over it, so no brake light or swerving. Was an early morning run through Orlando and traffic was thick. Three other cars fell victim.

If I see my car again, it will not be for weeks. No damage to the external body but the undercarriage and steering were wiped out. Something jammed the steering completely. Wheels are intact and the alignment was not visibly knocked out. Too much grass and mud underneath to really see. I'll know more next week.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2018, 11:44 PM   #36
RobbiZ4
Call me "Dr. Bob"
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Hi
Don't have a clue. Till now I didn't find any technical information about the pump and their power consumption. No equipment available to measure current draws of several 10 amperes.

The replaced original relays will fit for another 2 up to 5 years, that's the cheapest solution, I assume.

Update November 2019
In between we have measured a maximum of 37 amperes.

Last edited by RobbiZ4; 11-03-2019 at 02:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2018, 02:07 AM   #37
cra3y
Poland
Rep

Quote:

Ah! Ouch! I feel very sorry ....
      08-26-2018, 09:21 AM   #38
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Ah! Ouch! I feel very sorry ....
Ya, just glad no one was hurt. If I lose the car, it's just metal. Already think about a replacement, if I need to go that way.

Should see the rental Hertz gave me. Kia Soul, only car left on the lot. .
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2018, 09:01 PM   #39
Romer
BMW and Toyota Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Z4 sDrive30i

Replaced the relays. Really easy and $36 on Amazon. The module lifts a bit so easier to see to put the new ones in. Thanks Robbie for the info and great technical post
      08-30-2018, 08:10 PM   #40
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

Quote:
Ya, just glad no one was hurt. If I lose the car, it's just metal. Already think about a replacement, if I need to go that way.

Damn - glad you are ok - these don't come with 4 wheel drive :-)

I'll be east of you in a little over a month if you end up in something else and want to see a red z......
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 08:27 PM   #41
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurcher View Post
Quote:

I'll be east of you in a little over a month if you end up in something else and want to see a red z......
Approval came in today, car will be fixed. I was "lucky". No damage to any of the body panels, not even the front bumper. 10k in parts and 20 hours of dealer labor and it will back in my hands.

The road debris cleared my front bumper and made a direct strike on the steering rack. It's crushed and frozen solid. The rest of the damage is mostly heat shields and exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 06:21 AM   #42
rjahl
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
To further Hi-jack this thread. I was able to inspect my car yesterday. The damage is incredibly light. No paint or body work required. No frame damage or anything close. If the steering box had survived the impact, I would have driven it home, no problem.

The electronic steering box is something to think about. Check out the "strike" and what it took to jam the internals. It's not just a loss of power assist, it's frozen. Insurance adjuster marked the damaged areas in yellow.

The steering box is up front and low in our cars and the damage sent me off the hi-way and into a ravine. I wonder if many other people have jammed their steering box in this way?

Now the good news, I'll get the car back in a few weeks. Dealer quoted less than 20 hours to fix but they needs parts from Germany.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 11:16 AM   #43
BuddhaPilot
Swollen Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BSM Z4 3.0

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurcher View Post
Quote:

Approval came in today, car will be fixed. I was "lucky". No damage to any of the body panels, not even the front bumper. 10k in parts and 20 hours of dealer labor and it will back in my hands.

The road debris cleared my front bumper and made a direct strike on the steering rack. It's crushed and frozen solid. The rest of the damage is mostly heat shields and exhaust.
Wow, 10K in parts! Whenever you get a breakout of what all is being replaced would you please post? I'm a little concerned at the prospect of having to replace a steering rack or the possibility of my wife's Z4 being totaled if something similar happens. It's a 2009, so that much in damage would probably do it. All too likely with some of the crap we see all over I-26 in S.C.

Finally delivered!!...2012 135i/AW over Coral Red/MSport/Nav/HK/Toasty Seats/6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 01:51 PM   #44
cra3y
Poland
Rep

My old relays (I replaced today with new ones). One of them is more worn in contactor area. Date is 0911 (november 2009). I had over 2500 roof cycles operations

1) I think that this is one responsible for moving whole pack up (the pump has to work harder, so much more current flows thru this one)

2) This is less worn than the first one