New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

02-12-2021, 02:39 AM   #1
Lolipopjelibon
Turkey
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89 35i

I can never find clear answers about FBO with MHD !!! !

I have a 2009 Model BMW Z4 E89 N54 35i Sdrive with DCT.(EU version)
My car has no trouble or error codes.There are only 3 things to change.
1.Eisenmann 2x90mm race exhaust mufflers and tips
2.No 2nd CATS.
3.stage 1 software from a local tuner

I have two questions, I will act accordingly.

1. I have another tuner's stage 1 software in my car.
Can I revert to original stock software with the MHD flasher? (I'm talking about the MHD Flasher N54 app being able to find the latest stock firmware for my car and install it on the phone.)

2. If the above question is yes, I will make the following changes to my car after returning to stock software
a) VRSF 5 "Stepped Performance HD Intercooler
b) VRSF Charge Pipe
c) Tial Sport Blow off valve
d) VRSF Race Downpipes (catless)
e) VRSF Aluminum Turbo Outlet Charge Pipe (2 ")
f) VRSF Oem location High Flow Inlet Intake (2 ")
g) VRSF Aluminum Oil Catch Can
h) VRSF Performance Dual Cone Intaket Kit

I do not want to do Custom Tune. Also, gasoline has a high octane rating in our country(95+), so I do not plan to switch to a fuel such as ethanol. I want to make MHD OTS Stage 2 +. I know that it is enough for Stage 2+ to do what is written in the a, d, h items from the list written above.
I think an upgraded car also needs the other additional parts listed above for the turbos and engine to be long-lasting and healthy. (Maybe I am wrong, I'm not an expert)

So, do you mind if I install the MHD Stage 2+ OTS map after doing the above modifications (all items)? Do I have a problem?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Last edited by Lolipopjelibon; 02-12-2021 at 02:48 AM.. Reason: I've incomplete expression.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2021, 04:03 AM   #2
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

With Cobb when installing it makes a copy of your ECU information and stores it. When you uninstall it restores your ecu from that copy. So it should copy your current tune and then store it. Cobb does have a Stage 0 map that mimics stock map. MHD probably has something similar.

i would consult with the local tuner who did the tuning before going forward. Just in case.

Also if you have 98 fuel in your country then i would prefer that. 93oct/98RON maps do feel more powerful. I have used both on mine and decided to run 98.

Parts list looks good. Im planning on doing something similar to my Z4 in the future.
Things to note:
With downpipes you are running fully catless. I planned on keeping secondary cats.
Not sure about inlets and outlets 2" size. There are two sizes IMO. i thought 1.75 was for stock turbos and 2" was for aftermarket turbos with modified housings. I may be wrong.

Last edited by KennyP; 02-13-2021 at 05:33 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2021, 06:43 AM   #3
spyfish007
Getting older, but I still love awesome fast cars!
Rep
Drives: 2017 X6M & 2016 Z4 sDrive35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by replapla View Post
I have a 2009 Model BMW Z4 E89 N54 35i Sdrive with DCT.(EU version)
My car has no trouble or error codes.There are only 3 things to change.
1.Eisenmann 2x90mm race exhaust mufflers and tips
2.No 2nd CATS.
3.stage 1 software from a local tuner

I have two questions, I will act accordingly.

1. I have another tuner's stage 1 software in my car.
Can I revert to original stock software with the MHD flasher? (I'm talking about the MHD Flasher N54 app being able to find the latest stock firmware for my car and install it on the phone.)

2. If the above question is yes, I will make the following changes to my car after returning to stock software
a) VRSF 5 "Stepped Performance HD Intercooler
b) VRSF Charge Pipe
c) Tial Sport Blow off valve
d) VRSF Race Downpipes (catless)
e) VRSF Aluminum Turbo Outlet Charge Pipe (2 ")
f) VRSF Oem location High Flow Inlet Intake (2 ")
g) VRSF Aluminum Oil Catch Can
h) VRSF Performance Dual Cone Intaket Kit

I do not want to do Custom Tune. Also, gasoline has a high octane rating in our country(95+), so I do not plan to switch to a fuel such as ethanol. I want to make MHD OTS Stage 2 +. I know that it is enough for Stage 2+ to do what is written in the a, d, h items from the list written above.
I think an upgraded car also needs the other additional parts listed above for the turbos and engine to be long-lasting and healthy. (Maybe I am wrong, I'm not an expert)

So, do you mind if I install the MHD Stage 2+ OTS map after doing the above modifications (all items)? Do I have a problem?

Thank you in advance for your reply.
1)MHD should allow you to over write your custom time with stock, MHD stage 0 (stock but their software loaded) or their stage 2+. That basically blows away your current tune. I don't know if MHD needed to save the original map or of they have a copy and use it. That would be a question I would contact MHD about if you are really concerned about the stock map vs the effect of stock in stage 0.

2) your mod list for stage2+ is good. The extra inlets and outlets should just help your turbos breath better and enable more power if you had a custom tune. The alternative would be to get MHD flasher with JB4. I am still learning about this setup, but I think you could probably take advantage of those inlets and outlets without a custom tune.
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2021, 04:07 AM   #4
Lolipopjelibon
Turkey
Rep

I asked the same question to mhd and the answer is as follows

1. Yes no problem simply use flash back to stock function, no backup needed, MHD has everything integrated.
2. Inlets and Outlets require a custom tune, get yourself the 7.5" intercooler instead of the inlet and outlet. Also the Blow of Valve causes more issues then gains, use the stock DVs, simply install fresh new ones, they can handle the boost with ease and work always perfect. If you want the noise then you can convert them to open DVs easily.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 05:07 AM   #5
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep

7.5 inch is definitely considered to give better air temps, but it requiers some cutting to fit. I was thinking CSF 5" or thicker 5" Wagner intercoolers are a good way to go. COBB itself sells CSF 5" intercoolers and allows running stage 2+ with it. So it is probably enough. There are cheap 5 inch intercoolers on the market aswell but they are all thinner, so already based on that not as good. Build quality, core design etc are other factors where cheap ones probably suffer.

With intercoolers there is a debate on intercooler connections though.. Some say oem connectors become a bottleneck and connections with silicon tube like on VRSF are better. With outlets i assume you have to use silicone tube connections anyway?

Problems with TIAL blowoff or any other big single blowoff come from the vacuum line you run to it from the intake manifold. I have read that oem vacuum line is too small and its recommended to plug oem vacuum line connection on the intake manifold and use a bolton adaptor with bigger connector and run a bigger vacuum line from it to blowoff valve to have it actuate better. If you want to use oem vacuum lines then dual dv valves or blowoffs work better with them. Im not sure on OEM dv-s being that good. they are plastic afterall. I have read that they can leak and so on.

On that adaptor:
https://youtu.be/j7prmmn7K1w

Last edited by KennyP; 02-13-2021 at 05:15 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2021, 11:57 AM   #6
sduncan219
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 35is

Differences between replapla’s 09 35i and my 2011 35is after mods

Hello I have a 2011 N54 35is and will be doing very similar mods as replapla. I am wondering if there will be a performance difference starting with the 35is vs 35i ?? Is there mods I must do in addition to his or ones I can delete, and what the overall outcome will be?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 04:35 PM   #7
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduncan219 View Post
Hello I have a 2011 N54 35is and will be doing very similar mods as replapla. I am wondering if there will be a performance difference starting with the 35is vs 35i ?? Is there mods I must do in addition to his or ones I can delete, and what the overall outcome will be?
Everything should be the same and you would make similar power as 35i or any other n54. Turbos are the same, stock intercooler is the same, stock downpipes are the same. Stock exhaust midpipes are the same aswell. Only back section of the exhaust with mufflers is different partnumber on the 35IS. according to parts catalogue IS has one motor mount that is different and probably stiffer than 35i. All the cooling is the same. Its all mostly the same. Just tuned differently from factory.
      02-15-2021, 03:34 AM   #8
Lolipopjelibon
Turkey
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduncan219 View Post
The main difference between them is that the software has increased horsepower.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 08:50 AM   #9
Lolipopjelibon
Turkey
Rep

Hi Everybody again,

I did all of what I said above.

now it's time for the transmission (DCT).

I just couldn't find it. How do I install Xhp on my MHD flash car?I know MHD works with xhp but there is a situation like know MHD works with xhp, but there is a situation like this, the xhp option in the mhd transmission tab is Manuel / AT with Xhp.
but my car is DCT.

How should I do? Can you help me?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 04:52 PM   #10
StLMO
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 M5, 2015 Z4 35is

Garage List
2017 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
2015 BMW Z4 35is  [5.00]
No experience with xhp for the dct. Heard issues with the software so I left it alone, the dual clutch shifts plenty fast for me. Friend has xhp on his 335 and likes it but his is an 6 speed auto transmission.

Would suggest some preventative maintenance before pushing the car hard like walnut blasting to clean the valves. I did it at 40k and it was pretty bad. Also plugs and coils, consider one step colder ngk plugs. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 08:36 PM   #11
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

As you begin to push things and have more technical questions - you'll find most of us have moved over to a different forum. You will find spool you answers street over dot com < there
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 11:14 PM   #12
cheahcl
Rep
Drives: Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
7.5 inch is definitely considered to give better air temps, but it requiers some cutting to fit. I was thinking CSF 5" or thicker 5" Wagner intercoolers are a good way to go. COBB itself sells CSF 5" intercoolers and allows running stage 2+ with it. So it is probably enough. There are cheap 5 inch intercoolers on the market aswell but they are all thinner, so already based on that not as good. Build quality, core design etc are other factors where cheap ones probably suffer.

With intercoolers there is a debate on intercooler connections though.. Some say oem connectors become a bottleneck and connections with silicon tube like on VRSF are better. With outlets i assume you have to use silicone tube connections anyway?

Problems with TIAL blowoff or any other big single blowoff come from the vacuum line you run to it from the intake manifold. I have read that oem vacuum line is too small and its recommended to plug oem vacuum line connection on the intake manifold and use a bolton adaptor with bigger connector and run a bigger vacuum line from it to blowoff valve to have it actuate better. If you want to use oem vacuum lines then dual dv valves or blowoffs work better with them. Im not sure on OEM dv-s being that good. they are plastic afterall. I have read that they can leak and so on.

On that adaptor:
https://youtu.be/j7prmmn7K1w
Would wagner's evo 1 5" be better than the VSRF 5"? not so much pricing for me, but availability...
Appreciate 0