New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

05-24-2020, 09:34 AM   #265
dmac5356
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 S35i 2010

I see people are upgrading their iDrive screens. My car has factory iDrive, the screen works fine but is crazed/scratched. Does anyone have a good original screen to sell?
Attached Images

Last edited by dmac5356; 05-24-2020 at 02:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 06:10 AM   #266
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 23i, 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac5356 View Post
I see people are upgrading their iDrive screens. My car has factory iDrive, the screen works fine but is crazed/scratched. Does anyone have a good original screen to sell?
Check this one out (not mine), fantastic price at the moment... EDIT original auction ended without any bids, relisted here... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2009-2013...4383.l4275.c10 This is a VERY good price if you get it for the starting bid!!

My Z4 E89 YouTube channel...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtt...0vHFUQnoEvKB2Q

Last edited by DavesZed; 05-30-2020 at 01:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 04:09 AM   #267
Blake745
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac5356 View Post
I’ve got one. Let me know if you want to buy from me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 05:10 PM   #268
Asmodeusx
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89

I am about to make a custom DIY. Waiting to get my car serviced for this summer and will be ordering an E87 or E71 android unit that sell cheaper. I can't justify paying double or more for an E89 unit which is essentially the same. Will be also ordering top dashboard cover and drill holes in order to mount it. It will definitely look more like an F-Series screen. I hate the OEM flip design and I hate more the android e89 design, that has no point to be put so low into the "frame" since there is no flip mechanism.

I'll keep you guys posted when I get everything measured and ordered.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 10:49 AM   #269
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodeusx View Post
I am about to make a custom DIY. Waiting to get my car serviced for this summer and will be ordering an E87 or E71 android unit that sell cheaper. I can't justify paying double or more for an E89 unit which is essentially the same. Will be also ordering top dashboard cover and drill holes in order to mount it. It will definitely look more like an F-Series screen. I hate the OEM flip design and I hate more the android e89 design, that has no point to be put so low into the "frame" since there is no flip mechanism.

I'll keep you guys posted when I get everything measured and ordered.
Sounds like a good project.
One point though, the reason why it is so low is because the centre vents are high and thus to give a decent screen size and not to obstruct your vision out of the windscreen then that is why it was mounted like that.

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 11:20 PM   #270
Asmodeusx
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesZed View Post
Sounds like a good project.
One point though, the reason why it is so low is because the centre vents are high and thus to give a decent screen size and not to obstruct your vision out of the windscreen then that is why it was mounted like that.
The android one sits way deeper than OEM.

I'll consider your input though, since vision is already an issue sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 05:19 AM   #271
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodeusx View Post
The android one sits way deeper than OEM.

I'll consider your input though, since vision is already an issue sometimes.
I'm very much interested in this project to see how you are going to mount it.
I don't quite see how you mean "The android one sits way deeper than OEM" as they sit roughly in the exact same location, so how are you going to make fitting an e87 or e71 screen fit any better when the screens used are the same 10.25" size. You are physically restricted as to how low you can put it due to the vents and then vision out of the windscreen.
I appreciate the cost issue and agree with you on that as I also think the e89 version is way over priced, but I can't see you gaining anything (other than cost and a lot of work on your part) by substituting the e89 with a e87 screen (same size screen, same software etc)

At the end of the day I could simply be wrong, so, as I say, I'm very interested in see what you intend to come up with

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 01:48 PM   #272
Asmodeusx
Registered
Rep

Quote:
I'm very much interested in this project to see how you are going to mount it.
I don't quite see how you mean "The android one sits way deeper than OEM" as they sit roughly in the exact same location, so how are you going to make fitting an e87 or e71 screen fit any better when the screens used are the same 10.25" size. You are physically restricted as to how low you can put it due to the vents and then vision out of the windscreen.
I appreciate the cost issue and agree with you on that as I also think the e89 version is way over priced, but I can't see you gaining anything (other than cost and a lot of work on your part) by substituting the e89 with a e87 screen (same size screen, same software etc)

At the end of the day I could simply be wrong, so, as I say, I'm very interested in see what you intend to come up with

To be honest it's not only about the cost, it's more about the personal achievement/project. Soon.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 02:01 PM   #273
ikura56
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 35i, Saturn Sky Redline

This would be nice. When I was looking on eBay for random stuff for my car I saw something like this but it was over 1k.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 05:48 PM   #274
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 30i

Does anyone else have this issue when I start the car up it shows the screen it says no signal then I have to wait about a minute or two until it kind of lights up and and then it comes to life, but only after i touch the screen. Any idea oh wise ones?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2020, 03:13 AM   #275
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricanbandit View Post
Does anyone else have this issue when I start the car up it shows the screen it says no signal then I have to wait about a minute or two until it kind of lights up and and then it comes to life, but only after i touch the screen. Any idea oh wise ones?
In the settings menu, have you checked the option of "BMW Original car video display" as in the screenshot attached? If this is checked then you should not get the "No signal" screen.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 12:35 PM   #276
proboner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4 3.0 6-speed

Hoping for a bit of guidance. Looking to purchase this unit, per previous suggestion in this thread: https://hifimax.net/android-bmw-z4-e...idrive-carplay

Question is which hardware to choose. Given the almost negligible price difference, the Qualcomm-android 10 4G+64G(8 core)+4G/WiFi-1920x720p seems to be the obvious choice, but unfortunately doesn't come with Carplay. Am I going to regret not having Carplay? What are you actually getting out of it?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 01:33 AM   #277
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by proboner View Post
Hoping for a bit of guidance. Looking to purchase this unit, per previous suggestion in this thread: https://hifimax.net/android-bmw-z4-e...idrive-carplay

Question is which hardware to choose. Given the almost negligible price difference, the Qualcomm-android 10 4G+64G(8 core)+4G/WiFi-1920x720p seems to be the obvious choice, but unfortunately doesn't come with Carplay. Am I going to regret not having Carplay? What are you actually getting out of it?
All versions can have CarPlay, but it's whether it is built in or not that is the question!
You can buy the USB dongle for these that come in wired only and wireless/wired versions, and these will work on any of the Android screens.
If you're not bothered where you buy from then you can find these on AliExpress with Android 10 and built in CarPlay, but check the advert to see if it is the built in version or they are just supplying a USB dongle instead!!

As for whether it is worth it or not, well my personal opinion is that it is worth it. It brings the Z4 up to date with modern features that your phone has. Although I'm running a Samsung phone so I get Android Auto, these little dongles run that as well in just the same way.

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 09:19 AM   #278
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep

Quote:
In the settings menu, have you checked the option of "BMW Original car video display" as in the screenshot attached? If this is checked then you should not get the "No signal" screen.
Will check, thanks Dave!
      09-22-2020, 12:29 PM   #279
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricanbandit View Post
Will check, thanks Dave!
Worked like a Charm!
      01-25-2021, 12:51 AM   #280
Zed4USA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW Z4 sDrive28i

Ok, new update.

I've updated the software for the Wireless CarPlay app and the Wireless CarPlay box every week or so when there's an update. In the last couple of months, the box losses its connection to my iPhone (randomly), and I cannot get it to restore the Wireless CarPlay connection except after an hour or so of the car being off.

I'm going to buy a different USB Wireless CarPlay adapter and hopefully that will resolve the issue.

Suggestions (and links) welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed4USA View Post
Just figured I'd update on the audio playback jitters with the wireless CarPlay adapter: with the most recent update to the "box" software update and firmware update - it seems to be much better. I used the built-in app update functionality within the "AutiKit" app.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 02:12 PM   #281
Mmdt101
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW Z4

Suppliers?

First, what a wealth of information here. It's hard to believe this hasn't made it to be a "Sticky". Thanks to all of the contributors, particularly Dave!

I've decided to make the plunge to update my 2011 Z4 sDrive30i with the Android screen. I do not have iDrive, just the storage box on dash. While I'm at it, I'm thinking I might as well go all the way with rear camera, parking sensors and upgrade the speakers/amp.

Are there any recommended suppliers for the Android?
I've looked at Acarnavi, 4x4shop.ca,HiFiMax, and AliExpress. Leaning towards Acarnavi and 4x4. Although Acarnavi responded quickly to first inquiry, but ghosting me on a simple follow up question.

Any recommended supplier for retrofit camera and parking sensor kits?
From reading Dave's threads here (maybe the other forum too?) that AliExpress may not be the way to go for these...? I looked at Dolphinparking sensor, but they do not ship to the USA.

Thanks in advance!!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 04:36 AM   #282
DavesZed
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmdt101 View Post
First, what a wealth of information here. It's hard to believe this hasn't made it to be a "Sticky". Thanks to all of the contributors, particularly Dave!

I've decided to make the plunge to update my 2011 Z4 sDrive30i with the Android screen. I do not have iDrive, just the storage box on dash. While I'm at it, I'm thinking I might as well go all the way with rear camera, parking sensors and upgrade the speakers/amp.

Are there any recommended suppliers for the Android?
I've looked at Acarnavi, 4x4shop.ca,HiFiMax, and AliExpress. Leaning towards Acarnavi and 4x4. Although Acarnavi responded quickly to first inquiry, but ghosting me on a simple follow up question.

Any recommended supplier for retrofit camera and parking sensor kits?
From reading Dave's threads here (maybe the other forum too?) that AliExpress may not be the way to go for these...? I looked at Dolphinparking sensor, but they do not ship to the USA.

Thanks in advance!!
Firstly thank you, it's nice to know that my info is helpful

I can recommend Acarnavi as they are the ones I dealt with in the first place. As for a recommendation on cameras and sensors I can't really help you there as I'm not in the US.

What I've not mentioned is that although I did the video on installing the camera and sensors there are a couple of points that need to be mentioned;
1) The camera in the video that I installed is a good camera but it's not a good location as it is off centre and not straight to the car. I've since replaced mine with a license plate surround camera, which is centre and straight.
2) The sensors were OK but not really what I ultimateley wanted, so I've since removed them and now have fully working OE front and rear PDC, which would intergrate with the Android screen properly, giving you the correct look while in reverse.

I say "would intergrate with the Android screen" as I wouldn't now know as I no longer have my Android screen. I removed it summer last year as I installed a full iDrive retrofit instead. I always wanted the iDrive anyway and finally found I could get hold of the parts for a decent price, although that wasn't quite the end of it but thats another story!

Retrofitting OE PDC is relatively straightforward and I hope to have a video on that sometime soon

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 06:32 PM   #283
Mmdt101
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW Z4

Quote:
Firstly thank you, it's nice to know that my info is helpful

I can recommend Acarnavi as they are the ones I dealt with in the first place. As for a recommendation on cameras and sensors I can't really help you there as I'm not in the US.

What I've not mentioned is that although I did the video on installing the camera and sensors there are a couple of points that need to be mentioned;
1) The camera in the video that I installed is a good camera but it's not a good location as it is off centre and not straight to the car. I've since replaced mine with a license plate surround camera, which is centre and straight.
2) The sensors were OK but not really what I ultimateley wanted, so I've since removed them and now have fully working OE front and rear PDC, which would intergrate with the Android screen properly, giving you the correct look while in reverse.

I say "would intergrate with the Android screen" as I wouldn't now know as I no longer have my Android screen. I removed it summer last year as I installed a full iDrive retrofit instead. I always wanted the iDrive anyway and finally found I could get hold of the parts for a decent price, although that wasn't quite the end of it but thats another story!

Retrofitting OE PDC is relatively straightforward and I hope to have a video on that sometime soon
Thanks Dave! I appreciate the feedback and advice. Looking forward to your next video! I enjoy following along with all that you've learned and your generosity with sharing it with all of us!.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 06:55 PM   #284
Zed4USA
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW Z4 sDrive28i

Since changing to the CarlinKit Wireless CarPlay Dongle Wired Android Auto USB Dongle, I haven't had the problem re-appear. I hope it doesn't come back after some time.

The only issue is that my iPhone Xs (iOS 14.5.1 currently) doesn't always automatically connect the bluetooth to initiate CarPlay - but I have a few other different sorts of bluetooth devices that don't automatically connect, so I don't blame the CarlinKit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed4USA View Post
Ok, new update.

I've updated the software for the Wireless CarPlay app and the Wireless CarPlay box every week or so when there's an update. In the last couple of months, the box losses its connection to my iPhone (randomly), and I cannot get it to restore the Wireless CarPlay connection except after an hour or so of the car being off.

I'm going to buy a different USB Wireless CarPlay adapter and hopefully that will resolve the issue.

Suggestions (and links) welcome.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 05:10 AM   #285
naz007
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

Hi Chaps,

I'm in process of acquiring android unit for my Z4. Anyone here can recommend trusted sellers who you guys have used and not been missold? ideally I'm after android 11 unit to fit in my Z4 with base stereo.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 02:58 AM   #286
geez4
Rep
Drives: None - buying Z4 2009 s35i

I went to an Auto install place today. Two blokes basically said, no options, I showed them this and MMI and they just said, "dont bother, they're balls, get out".

My misses would love this screen. I am not sure she cares if it doesn't pop up, and wants android auto, google maps, spotify and her podcasts.

I am in Australia, just got a 2009 Z4 35i. It has iDrive. Really what I want to keep is the iDrive functions, use the remote to control it as well, as it is in a great position and using this as a touch screen isn't ideal to me because of how far forward it is. The exception would be typing things in, which I would assume it quicker on the screen than using the wheel!

It seems that the main advantages of the MMI are use get to keep the original screen - with the fancy pop up and the Android versions you lose that, but get a higher resolution unit with touchscreen.

What are the other pros and cons?
Appreciate 0