New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

06-16-2020, 11:36 AM   #1
agshifty
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 E89 35i M sport

2014 35i ECU Mod

Hi all, I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. I will be adding breathability and cooling to my 2014 z4 35i via air box, charge pipe, downpipe and FMIC. I was initially planning on going stage 2 w/ the cobb v3, but cobb says my ECU encryption is incompatible with their platform. Does anyone have a list of ECU flash platforms that will work with my car?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 10:07 AM   #2
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by agshifty View Post
Hi all, I'm hoping someone can steer me in the right direction. I will be adding breathability and cooling to my 2014 z4 35i via air box, charge pipe, downpipe and FMIC. I was initially planning on going stage 2 w/ the cobb v3, but cobb says my ECU encryption is incompatible with their platform. Does anyone have a list of ECU flash platforms that will work with my car?
Reading from websites... MHD is up to 2015 and ESS website says z4 35i/iS all model years.

From these 2 i would choose MHD as it seems more complex, more options to choose from the app etc. Needs android device. No iphone support.

I saw someone having the same issue in the comments of COBBs facebook post promoting their Accessport V3. Someone wanted to get it for 2014 Z4 and Cobb said it would not work. I thought it was nonsense but guess its true then.

Checked Bmwfans.info and it shows 9 different part numbers for DME control unit for Z4 35i. all from different years. One partnumber was used only for 6 months and then changed. All are called MSD81 that is already said to be upgraded ecu. Early 335i cars had MSD80 ECU that had some issues. The early MSD80 equipped cars suffered a problem where the transistors that fire the injectors eventually fail.
      06-19-2020, 07:01 PM   #3
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by agshifty View Post
Just go with. MHD. Much better support and many more cars running it.
Appreciate 0