New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-07-2021, 08:53 AM   #23
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGUYinCO View Post
Here in Colorado, we haven't had channel 9 (NBC) for a couple of months now because of yet another pissing match DISH is having with a provider....and we the customer are caught in the middle. This, after we lost HBO last year....

To top it all off, our bill went up over $50 this month. I called and after a looooooooong hold, I finally spoke to a rep who told me they were going to have to transfer me to another queue and guess what? There was a 30 minute wait for that queue.

We've been a subscriber for over 20 years - time to tell them to F off.
Now I have to get into the whole "cut the cord" and streaming thing...

Anyone else frustrated with DISH?
Never had dish but we were DirecTV customers for over 20 years. We ditched the dish about 12 months ago and went full streaming. We paired our Roku with Netflix and Prime Video. I recently added apple TV to check out Ted Lasso and ended up keeping it to watch a few other series that got me hooked. Our monthly spend is under $30 and I've never been at a loss for things to watch.

Added bonus, my house doesnt look like a space station anymore with that stupid dish hanging off it.
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13152.00
BMWGUYinCO4049.00
      12-07-2021, 09:04 AM   #24
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

The only time I was on Dish (can't say that I was a customer) was during the OTA dish receiver business a few years ago. Every channel was free. Once a month, they'd send out a signal to scramble, within minutes a new code would be released. Program usb, upload new codes, problem solved.

Had to sell my set up after selling my house and moving into an apartment during the first divorce. New landlord refused to allow a dish on the side of his building.

Currently have Charter Spectrum. Service is good, internet is blazing fast. It's expensive and I'm never home to watch TV. It's almost a car payment for service that I rarely use. Have been going back and forth with cutting.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 09:22 AM   #25
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
The only time I was on Dish (can't say that I was a customer) was during the OTA dish receiver business a few years ago. Every channel was free. Once a month, they'd send out a signal to scramble, within minutes a new code would be released. Program usb, upload new codes, problem solved.

Had to sell my set up after selling my house and moving into an apartment during the first divorce. New landlord refused to allow a dish on the side of his building.

Currently have Charter Spectrum. Service is good, internet is blazing fast. It's expensive and I'm never home to watch TV. It's almost a car payment for service that I rarely use. Have been going back and forth with cutting.
Go forth and you won't look back. All you need is the cheapest internet you can find. No need for Gigabit internet, for example.
Appreciate 1
King Rudi13152.00
      12-07-2021, 09:29 AM   #26
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
Go forth and you won't look back. All you need is the cheapest internet you can find. No need for Gigabit internet, for example.
Um, no.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 09:40 AM   #27
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
I'll most likely cut the cord soon. Meant to a few weeks ago and other things took priority. I'll most likely keep my current internet setup, but just drop the TV service completely.
Appreciate 2
BMWGUYinCO4049.00
________4157.00
      12-07-2021, 09:45 AM   #28
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
Quote:
Um, no.
Um, no, what?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 09:46 AM   #29
BMWGUYinCO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 M850 Convertible '23 X3 M40

I appreciate all the feedback, I am still pissed at DISH for doing this to us again. Ready to cut the cord!
In addition to DISH, we also have:
Disney+
HBO MAX
Discovery Plus
Apple TV

I think even with keeping all of these, it will still be cheaper than what my DISH bill is currently (it just rose from $100/month to $160/month after my last promotion ended).

Yes, I know I can call DISH and they will bend over backwards for me as a 20 year+ subscriber, but really it's the channel wars that impact us the most.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 09:54 AM   #30
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Um, no, what?
Getting the cheapest Internet you can find isn't necessarily the best idea. Depends on your household and how many people/devices are streaming and the level of quality you want but when I think "cheap" I think low bandwidth. I personally hate having a slow Internet connection.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 09:56 AM   #31
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGUYinCO View Post
I appreciate all the feedback, I am still pissed at DISH for doing this to us again. Ready to cut the cord!
In addition to DISH, we also have:
Disney+
HBO MAX
Discovery Plus
Apple TV

I think even with keeping all of these, it will still be cheaper than what my DISH bill is currently (it just rose from $100/month to $160/month after my last promotion ended).

Yes, I know I can call DISH and they will bend over backwards for me as a 20 year+ subscriber, but really it's the channel wars that impact us the most.
Just an FYI but if you go with Hulu Live TV it will now include Disney+ as a standard channel. They're bumping the price by 5 bucks but in lieu of that the Disney+ channel is being added along with ESPN+ for what it's worth.

Fortunately for me when I began my Internet service with AT&T they threw in HBO Max for free which is great considering it's normally $15/mo.
Appreciate 2
BMWGUYinCO4049.00
________4157.00
      12-07-2021, 09:57 AM   #32
BMWGUYinCO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 M850 Convertible '23 X3 M40

Quote:
Just an FYI but if you go with Hulu Live TV it will now include Disney+ as a standard channel. They're bumping the price by 5 bucks but in lieu of that the Disney+ channel is being added along with ESPN+ for what it's worth.

Fortunately for me when I began my Internet service with AT&T they threw in HBO Max for free which is great considering it's normally $15/mo.
Great to know about the Disney+ inclusion, thanks!
Appreciate 1
TiMSport12786.50
      12-07-2021, 06:47 PM   #33
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Um, no, what?
Getting the cheapest Internet you can find isn't necessarily the best idea. Depends on your household and how many people/devices are streaming and the level of quality you want but when I think "cheap" I think low bandwidth. I personally hate having a slow Internet connection.
I'll play.

What's the slowest down/up speed you can get where you live, using your current provider?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 06:59 PM   #34
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
I'll play.

What's the slowest down/up speed you can get where you live, using your current provider?
In my case I'm lucky because I can get AT&T's fiber service. They have relatively limited coverage throughout the US. I can actually get 300/300Mbps for $45/mo. without data cap. However, I went with the fastest level service 1000/1000Mbps for $70/mo. including HBO Max and no data cap. Can't beat that. As I've said many times, no contract either.
Appreciate 1
________4157.00
      12-07-2021, 07:05 PM   #35
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'll play.

In my case I'm lucky because I can get AT&T's fiber service. They have relatively limited coverage throughout the US. I can actually get 300/300Mbps for $45/mo. without data cap. However, I went with the fastest level service 1000/1000Mbps for $70/mo. including HBO Max and no data cap. Can't beat that. As I've said many times, no contract either.
I was suggesting, in Rudi's case, if he lived where you live, to get the $45 plan, unless he wants HBO Max, and HBO Max costs more than $25 a month.

You can't see or perceive the difference between 300 and 1000. The only time that matters is if he's downloading gigabytes of stuff (like 30GB worth of movie files every day via Torrent). He'd then be able to download them faster. Otherwise, same shit, higher price.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 07:11 PM   #36
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
I was suggesting, in Rudi's case, if he lived where you live, to get the $45 plan, unless he wants HBO Max, and HBO Max costs more than $25 a month.

You can't see or perceive the difference between 300 and 1000. The only time that matters is if he's downloading gigabytes of stuff (like 30GB worth of movie files every day via Torrent). He'd then be able to download them faster. Otherwise, same shit, higher price.
I can tell the difference, especially because I have multiple devices streaming simultaneously. In particular, I have a few HD security cameras that are "uploading" video 24/7 so that is a major bandwidth hog. I had Gigabit service with my cable provider before I got fiber and it was fast download speed but slow upload. I can see a big difference because I never experience any lag or buffering issues which I used to have before. Videoconferencing is much improved too. These are the things that make upload speeds important.
Appreciate 1
________4157.00