New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

05-10-2021, 10:03 AM   #1
bt1339
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

Windshield insurance question

I have a small crack near the corner of the windshield, and over the years a lot of sandblasting has accumulated all over it, to the point where I'm bothered by it when driving. I suspect the crack is repairable, and the sandblasting occured gradually and wasn't a one time event. So I'm not sure the insurance will want to cover full replacement. Does anyone have experience with insurance and can advise me on how to approach this issue?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 10:16 AM   #2
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

start by reading your insurance policy.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 10:35 AM   #3
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
start by reading your insurance policy.
LOL, because everyone does that..right?

OP, I work in the industry. Contact your insurance company, file a glass claim. They will guide you through the process. Feel free to post up questions here or PM me directly.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 10:37 AM   #4
..Rush..
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E88

I have full coverage with Geico.
Who is your car insurance company?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 10:39 AM   #5
MOTOP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2018 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt1339 View Post
I have a small crack near the corner of the windshield, and over the years a lot of sandblasting has accumulated all over it, to the point where I'm bothered by it when driving. I suspect the crack is repairable, and the sandblasting occured gradually and wasn't a one time event. So I'm not sure the insurance will want to cover full replacement. Does anyone have experience with insurance and can advise me on how to approach this issue?
Simple.

1. If you have special “windshield” coverage - it will apply.
2. If you have other “special” features on your policy that cover windshield among other things - that one will apply.
3. Otherwise the default deductible is applicable.
They have no choice for (3). They must honor it.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 10:43 AM   #6
MOTOP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i, 2018 Raptor

One more thing.
Generally speaking, the repair will not likely be possible by big companies if the crack if longer than 7’’.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 05:05 PM   #7
m3fuz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 X5M, 19 X3 30i, 03 C4S

Many states require a windshield policy from auto insurers that write policies in their state. The requirements vary state to state. Tell them what happened and get it covered.

If, however, you were to say you were behind a semi and a rock or pebble launched into your windshield (and that isn’t the cause of the crack), please delete this thread so you don’t get jammed up with insurance fraud (however likely or unlikely that may be).
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 10:05 AM   #8
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I've been through a few windshield replacements, the last just this past April. If you have standard glass coverage, you'll end up paying the deductible. There is no effect to your policy cost because the claim falls under the comprehensive coverage part of your policy.

Most large insurance companies farm out glass coverage management to a third-party company. The process is pretty much cookie cutter. The third-party has glass replacement contracts with the large glass repair companies (e.g. Safelite) and set predetermined pricing with other independent glass repair companies. If your car is older than 2 years, most insurance companies will not pay for original equipment glass (i.e. a BMW windshield). The idea behind all this is to replace the glass at the lowest possible price. There is nothing you can do to change that paradigm, without paying a company to replace the glass outside of the insurance process.

If your deductible for comprehensive coverage is $500, that will be close to what the insurance company sets as a replacement cost for BMW cars. The more driving tech the car has the higher the glass replacement price is.

Now, the crack will propigate thru the glass eventually. Hitting a cold windshield in the winter with the defroster on full blast usually will grow the crack. Conversely, if you were to wash your car in the summer sun with a hot windshield and you dumped a bucket of gold water on it at the start of washing the car, the crack would propigate through the glass. If that were to happen, that would be the filing date of the claim.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 10:26 AM   #9
GREENPUS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe03h20 View Post
One more thing.
Generally speaking, the repair will not likely be possible by big companies if the crack if longer than 7’’.
That's what I've always been told by the local glass shops. They can only repair the birdseye or small pit but no cracks. Not sure if there is a max limit on crack length
2008 Corolla S Souped Up - The Black Widow
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 11:12 AM   #10
rwheels
Major
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

What I did is call a glass shop and got an estimate. After that, I called my insurance to give them my estimate; I paid my deductible, and the glass was replaced. My crack was under the wipers, and could not be seen, but they still become safety issues. Your insurance may set a limit on the quantity they will cover, so just pay the difference and get it replaced. No hassle, and covered by comprehensive.
Appreciate 0