New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

07-16-2019, 09:55 AM   #23
N54Yankee
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
If you have been reading for that long than you would know that it is one of the very few things I think Trump is doing mostly right. Which is his handling and decision to stand up to China in the trade and intellectual property fight.

I'm perplexed by the amount of times I've seen people here say "buy American." And then put caveats/excuses on it when challenged by why they post that when driving a German car on a site dedicated to German cars. It was not impossible to buy an American sports car when you got your 135, but as you say, you chose not to while admonishing others to "buy American."

Edit: I don't think Germany is unfriendly to us, but Trump does. As you know they are and have been a fierce competitor to US domestic automakers for decades now.
Like you I certainly don’t agree with everything the President says or does in fact there are many areas I disagree, I have my own opinions on things. You can call it an excuse or whatever else you want, it doesn’t concern me.
The 135 isn’t a sports car but I did buy an American sports car(Corvette) around the same time as the 1. The BMW is my DD and not nearly reliable( or exciting) as the C6 so it will be my first and last BMW. I also didn’t admonish anyone it was just a simple innocuous statement. You’re a bit quick to exaggerate, such is the left.
"The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.Ē Samuel Adams
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 10:03 AM   #24
minn19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 M4 CS, 16 F150, 19 M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
Like you I certainly donít agree with everything the President says or does in fact there are many areas I disagree, I have my own opinions on things. You can call it an excuse or whatever else you want, it doesnít concern me.
The 135 isnít a sports car but I did buy an American sports car(Corvette) around the same time as the 1. The BMW is my DD and not nearly reliable as the C6 so it will be my first and last BMW. I also didnít admonish anyone it was just a simple innocuous statement. Youíre a bit quick to exaggerate, such is the left.
Such is the Trump era, because Iím not a Trump Republican Iím a lefty.
And for toppers complain that others are doing exactly what you are actually doing (exaggerates, assumes, spin, backtracks, do as I say not as I do etc etc).

So there were even more US auto choices than your German 135 if you bought it as a DD. Is there a ratio of when it is ok to not ďbuy American?Ē 20 US cars allows you to try one foreign car, what are the rules?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 10:20 AM   #25
NEfan508
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Hammock View Post
Quote:
Buy American!
Aside from firearms and shitty cars. What exactly can I buy that's still made in America now-a-days?
makes me now think what I have in my house that's made here? Kitchen aid mixer, timberland boots, LL bean and toms products, anything else I dunno oh ya Mac book pro is made here in mericah since 5 years? I think

domestic made isn't exactly higher quality but I'm a sucker sometimes for #USA made

$55k msrp crewcab truck in the shop 6 times within 18 months, GE appliance set breaks within 4 years (mini rant) not sure where the GE units are made btw

I did get a couple x5's made in SC does that count?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 10:57 AM   #26
bimmer456
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Quote:
Wow, we know all of this about me huh. Maybe I should GTFO?

What we do know about you (and others that go down this worn out trope) is you do not "put America first" by your purchasing habits.
I’ve been reading on this site before I became a member and even before you joined up here and it’s safe to say I do know a lot about you by your own words. Just because we disagree on most things politically doesn’t mean I think I want you to go. It’s ok to discuss, debate and even argue.
The 135 I purchased was my first foreign car and I’ve been buying cars for over 3o years.
Putting America first doesn’t mean only buying American 100% of the time all the time but you know that. We both know that it’s a global economy but I and many others choose to put as little cash in the hands of foreign countries we deem not business friendly to the USA. It’s impossible to to do all the time but efforts are made to minimize. That’s my choice and has been for a long time. Quite strange that some are perplexed by that.
Some "foreign" products are made in the USA like BMW SAVs and the ones made here are sold globally. So buying American doesn't necessarily mean American brands some of which are made oversees.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 10:59 AM   #27
bimmer456
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
To the OPs question, I know the MN soybean farmers (and others of course) are hit hard by the tariffs. China switched suppliers and they say the market is essentially gone possibly forever.
They also aren't taking our garbage anymore for recycling but that has been going on for awhile now which may be one of the reasons for the tariffs.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 11:20 AM   #28
minn19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 M4 CS, 16 F150, 19 M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
They also aren't taking our garbage anymore for recycling but that has been going on for awhile now which may be one of the reasons for the tariffs.
I had read that, but I wasn't sure why and if it is tariff related or not.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 11:57 AM   #29
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: My wife's car

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Hammock View Post
Quote:
Buy American!
Aside from firearms and shitty cars. What exactly can I buy that's still made in America now-a-days?
Most of my clothes are made in the US. I pay a premium for them. And the one thing we don't seem to be able to do in this country is align stripes. Most of my shirts look like they've had a stroke. Why is this so hard? Even some of my British dress shirts are poorly aligned.

I may be a full blown lefty, but I still try my best to buy as little MiC stuff as possible. I was all set to buy a made in Ft Worth Motorola when they got sold to the Chinese too. Some things you just can't win.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 02:37 PM   #30
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

The whole "I don't buy stuff made in China" thing cracks me up. Most people don't differentiate between "Made in the USA." vs. "Assembled in the USA." Sure, you bought something assembled in the USA, made mostly of parts or raw materials that came from China. It's functionally unavoidable at this point.
Appreciate 2
minn195402.50
1 AKY283.00

07-16-2019, 02:39 PM   #31
bimmer456
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
The whole "I don't buy stuff made in China" thing cracks me up. Most people don't differentiate between "Made in the USA." vs. "Assembled in the USA." Sure, you bought something assembled in the USA, made mostly of parts or raw materials that came from China. It's functionally unavoidable at this point.
Usually it's assembled in China as well. It's just designed in the US.
Appreciate 1
minn195402.50

07-16-2019, 02:52 PM   #32
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: My wife's car

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Some things this is probably true of, especially with many Japanese companies having moved the bulk of their production to China. But the Koreans still control the bulk of their product chain and use very little Chinese content.

I'd guess that it would take a lot of serious compromise for the average American consumer to get their (non food) MiC purchases under 90%, but it's still possible.

Between electronics, toys, sporting goods and clothing, I've nearly eliminated Chinese goods. Well, aside from this phone. And apparently my two Dell work monitors and laptop. Crap, you're right.
Appreciate 1
minn195402.50

07-16-2019, 02:58 PM   #33
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
They only went into effect on 7/6/2019. One would imagine it will take a little bit to see any trickle down effects. As with any tariff, some will be absorbed by the manufacturer, some absorbed by the wholesaler, some absorbed by the retailer, and some absorbed by the end consumer, and some will be a combination of any or all of these facets.

This is just basic econ 101.

Just to accurate here, it went into effect for anything arriving in port as of the end of June does not matter when it was manufactured. It has been 10% since the beginning of the year and it goes up another 15% as of July.

When it was 10% it was absorbed mostly by everyone between the manufacturer and the just before the end consumer. It is not 10% the selling price only 10% of the COGS so in some cases it was less than 1% of the selling price. I believe it or not some Chinese companies absorbed so of the increase by lowering their selling price to US companies. Just so they do not loose the business.

However, with 25% that will not be absorb by everyone in between, the consumers will see an increase it will not be 25% as some people though would happen it will be in the 5% to 15% range depending how many hands the product passes through and mark ups are on a product before it hits the consumers.

To give an example, if an item is sold for a $1 to the consumer and the company selling it out of China sells it for $0.10 the cost the US company importing the items is now $0.125. so the $1 product most likely will sell for $1.02 to $1.05. The consumer just saw as 2% to 5% increase if the company selling the product tries to maintain parity margin before and after the tariff.

The increase cost are rolling through all the supply chains at this point. Some affects were immediate and others are still coming as Companies roll the increase costs.
Appreciate 1
minn195402.50

07-16-2019, 03:06 PM   #34
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4130 View Post
The company I work for manufactures professional equipment for audio. Prices went up from 0-25% effective July 1st. Most other companies in our industry had either already raised prices or also did so on July 1st. It is absolutely happening and both manufacturers and retail are concerned about long term effects on business.
If your company is raising the selling price to the consumer 25% today they are ripping people off, not all their costs increase 25%, only the portion of their selling cost (COGS) increase by 25%, OH and SGA and Margin which are the other component of the Selling price did not go up 25%. If your company is doing this you might want to think twice about working for them since they will not be in business long. I work for a manufacturing company and we import a good portion of our product we sell from China and we only increase the selling price to our customer by 3% and we took a margin hit of about 1%

Last edited by Maestro; 07-16-2019 at 03:17 PM..
Appreciate 4
bimmer4561603.00
minn195402.50
Run Silent10360.50

07-16-2019, 04:37 PM   #35
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Some things this is probably true of, especially with many Japanese companies having moved the bulk of their production to China. But the Koreans still control the bulk of their product chain and use very little Chinese content.

I'd guess that it would take a lot of serious compromise for the average American consumer to get their (non food) MiC purchases under 90%, but it's still possible.

Between electronics, toys, sporting goods and clothing, I've nearly eliminated Chinese goods. Well, aside from this phone. And apparently my two Dell work monitors and laptop. Crap, you're right.
Yeah, so you think....

Mauviel Cookware....Proudly made in France since 1830....

Think I was at their factory in France when I took this photo? Think again...

Appreciate 2
Run Silent10360.50
Red Bread2903.00

07-16-2019, 05:31 PM   #36
greenley
Registered
Rep
Drives: c7 s6, b5 s4

we've shifted sourcing for steel used in equipment to dramatically more expensive producers.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 06:20 PM   #37
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
If your company is raising the selling price to the consumer 25% today they are ripping people off, not all their costs increase 25%, only the portion of their selling cost (COGS) increase by 25%, OH and SGA and Margin which are the other component of the Selling price did not go up 25%. If your company is doing this you might want to think twice about working for them since they will not be in business long. I work for a manufacturing company and we import a good portion of our product we sell from China and we only increase the selling price to our customer by 3% and we took a margin hit of about 1%
Prices went up from 0-25%. Increases were based on COG increase. Not everything went up; some didn't at all, hence 0% increase. Our company is solid and about as straight up as can be. We are not ripping anyone off and we're completely in line with others in our industry.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 06:48 PM   #38
upstatedoc
pew pew
Rep
Drives: blue streak

My L.L. Bean work shirts are made in Sri Lanka. Is that the same as China? Geographers help me out.
Countermeasure enthusiast.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 07:09 PM   #39
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
My L.L. Bean work shirts are made in Sri Lanka. Is that the same as China? Geographers help me out.
No. More like India.

07-16-2019, 08:50 PM   #40
bimmer456
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
No. More like India.

It's just south of India. There was some sort of civil war going on and the Indians took advantage as they share a sea border and therefore have to stay on their side of the sea border when fishing but crossed over and after the war some of them were arrested by the Sri Lankan authorities.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent10360.50

07-17-2019, 07:18 AM   #41
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
It's just south of India. There was some sort of civil war going on and the Indians took advantage as they share a sea border and therefore have to stay on their side of the sea border when fishing but crossed over and after the war some of them were arrested by the Sri Lankan authorities.
I'm very familiar with Sri Lanka, lol. One of my best friends and his husband are both from Sri Lanka. I was being sarcastic.