New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-23-2020, 09:03 PM   #1
IndyRed128i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 230I(Red)

California Bars/Restaurants (Moderator: Non-political discussion only)

Moderator: A reminder that this is for non-political discussions only. You may continue to discuss the economic, societal, and personal aspects of the subject but this is not a springboard for political discussion and politically charged posts will be removed.

Being in Texas, bars and restaurants are more of less opened back up, but I just went through San Francisco last week, and literally most of the wine bars, vineyards, exc were all closed, and social distancing was in full enforcement.

This is quite the opposite of Texas, where its 90% back to normal.

Those of you from California, are you ready to move to Texas of Florida!??

Appreciate 1
jesm203.00
      10-23-2020, 09:09 PM   #2
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive

There has been somewhat of an exodus from California and New York to other states. Insane taxes, poor use of said tax money, pathetic government performance, and of course the social unrest. I even saw housing ads along the lines of 'great weather in Texas too, welcome to your new home, Californians!' U-Hauls from Texas to New York are cheap; there is a wait list for the other direction.

New York (City) has only allowed 25% capacity so far. 50% for the rest of the state. I'm not opposed to limiting capacity, but I am moving to Texas regardless.
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1w...1L3y6cmPEyGSoI
Appreciate 3
jesm203.00
      10-23-2020, 09:10 PM   #3
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyRed128i View Post
Being in Texas, bars and restaurants are more of less opened back up, but I just went through San Francisco last week, and literally most of the wine bars, vineyards, exc were all closed, and social distancing was in full enforcement.

This is quite the opposite of Texas, where its 90% back to normal.

It varies by county, not state-wide. Down here in Orange County, everything is pretty much open except for Disneyland.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 2
      10-23-2020, 09:13 PM   #4
PYE46M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E92 M3

Quote:

No they are not. Let them stay in cali and learn to not vote for these morons. Do you really want them to come there and turn texas and florida into california?
Appreciate 7
Smgs1992720.00
jmack548.50
      10-23-2020, 09:23 PM   #5
IndyRed128i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
It varies by county, not state-wide. Down here in Orange County, everything is pretty much open except for Disneyland.
I'm assuming San Francisco is probably amoung the strictest?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 09:30 PM   #6
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Yeah, that's like the most liberal area in all of Cali
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 09:35 PM   #7
IndyRed128i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllSic_Design View Post
Yeah, that's like the most liberal area in all of Cali
True! Which is too bad because in normal times it has the best food and wine scene in the entire state, and arguably one of the best in the country.
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2020, 09:53 PM   #8
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merami fan View Post
There has been somewhat of an exodus from California and New York to other states. Insane taxes, poor use of said tax money, pathetic government performance, and of course the social unrest. I even saw housing ads along the lines of 'great weather in Texas too, welcome to your new home, Californians!' U-Hauls from Texas to New York are cheap; there is a wait list for the other direction.

New York (City) has only allowed 25% capacity so far. 50% for the rest of the state. I'm not opposed to limiting capacity, but I am moving to Texas regardless.
I've got a lot of conservative friends thinking about moving. Not me though, I love it down here. Cost of living is high, but that's okay, gotta pay to play: The weather is nice, the location is prime. We have mountains, beaches, deserts, forests, night life... all within an hour or so drive. I don't know how much taxes others are paying, but I am doing just fine.

As far as social unrest, there is definitely tension because of the diversity of people and opinions. I can see how if someone can't come to terms with living with a difference of opinion, that maybe its easier to move away where there are more like-minded people. However, tolerance is more than just letting things go, it's about the capacity to endure. You can't challenge your ideals and grow as a person if you choose to run away from other opinions. I couldn't imagine going to another country and NOT trying the local cuisine, or studying and trying to understand a local culture and lifestyle. Why would my open-mindedness suddenly be closed just because I am in my own country?

I have family and friends here... roots. If I'm not happy, then I'll do what it takes to make it better as a citizen of this state. On a similar note, if I don't agree with how the US government is run, do I move to Canada? That's not very patriotic. That doesn't make our country stronger and it doesn't make me stronger. It's kinda just running away from a problem to be more comfortable. I don't live simply yearning for comfort.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2020, 09:58 PM   #9
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYE46M3 View Post
No they are not. Let them stay in cali and learn to not vote for these morons. Do you really want them to come there and turn texas and florida into california?
That's not really fair. CA is the biggest economy in the US. There's a lot of people here, and it's very diverse which adds to the complexity. Considering how big it is, I'm surprised it's not worse. It's certainly not perfect, but it's generally a great place to live.

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 10:02 PM   #10
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive

Quote:
I've got a lot of conservative friends thinking about moving. Not me though, I love it down here. Cost of living is high, but that's okay, gotta pay to play: The weather is nice, the location is prime. We have mountains, beaches, deserts, forests, night life... all within an hour or so drive. I don't know how much taxes others are paying, but I am doing just fine.

As far as social unrest, there is definitely tension because of the diversity of people and opinions. I can see how if someone can't come to terms with living with a difference of opinion, that maybe its easier to move away where there are more like-minded people. However, tolerance is more than just letting things go, it's about the capacity to endure. You can't challenge your ideals and grow as a person if you choose to run away from other opinions. I couldn't imagine going to another country and NOT trying the local cuisine, or studying and trying to understand a local culture and lifestyle. Why would my open-mindedness suddenly be closed just because I am in my own country?

I have family and friends here... roots. If I'm not happy, then I'll do what it takes to make it better as a citizen of this state. On a similar note, if I don't agree with how the US government is run, do I move to Canada? That's not very patriotic. That doesn't make our country stronger and it doesn't make me stronger. It's kinda just running away from a problem to be more comfortable. I don't live simply yearning for comfort.
I don't think differences of opinion are the main reason people are leaving. It's just being pragmatic. There is a disproportionately large amount of wealthy people leaving. They pay very high taxes, and what do they get out of it? Riots closing down parts of the city? Businesses being boarded up? Homeless people sleeping in front of their expensive homes, and the police aren't allowed to tell them to move. Crime rate going up, and people want to de-fund the police? I'm not trying to say that the only thing that matters is your personal economic interests, but you can't blame people for wanting to move away from an uncomfortable situation.

What can they do to "make it better?" The people moving out aren't the ones creating the problems. By that logic, they are just relocating and it doesn't affect the situation in any place.
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1w...1L3y6cmPEyGSoI

Last edited by Merami fan; 10-23-2020 at 10:07 PM..
Appreciate 3
Murf99314114.00
      10-23-2020, 10:04 PM   #11
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm assuming San Francisco is probably amoung the strictest?
I don't have the stats on that. LA is pretty strict too though. I think it has to do with new infection levels and population density. SF is very dense, so is LA. But honestly, we've been to LA for dinner and drinks, and we were in SF just a month ago, and while not everything is open, we still ate at restaurants, bars, stayed at a hotel etc.

Appreciate 1
      10-23-2020, 10:19 PM   #12
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merami fan View Post
I don't think differences of opinion are the main reason people are leaving. It's just being pragmatic. There is a disproportionately large amount of wealthy people leaving. They pay very high taxes, and what do they get out of it? Riots closing down parts of the city? Businesses being boarded up? Homeless people sleeping in front of their expensive homes, and the police aren't allowed to tell them to move. Crime rate going up, and people want to de-fund the police? I'm not trying to say that the only thing that matters is your personal economic interests, but you can't blame people for wanting to move away from an uncomfortable situation.
The budget for the LAPD alone is in the billions. What I disagree with is the term "de-fund" and what it has come to mean to different people. One side of the spectrum wants to punish them by taking away funding, another wants to fund them to put more people in jail. It's become a tool to attack a group of people. How selfish of both sides.

Crime rate is generally down since 2016.

Difference of opinion is what I have noticed is a significant factor in people's decision to move, second to cost of living. Religion, sexuality, political party etc.. Mind you, these are just people I know in this area. It's generally conservatives who are expressing interest to move away. That's just what I see around me, the reality could be different in the grand scheme of things.

I don't blame them. I just don't share their coping mechanism. You gotta understand, things are much worse in other countries. I've seen too much bullshit in my life to give up my home because I'm "uncomfortable". Comfort is relative anyhow.

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 12:42 AM   #13
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Which is a joke. How many people does California want to continue to put out of work? I guess they figure no one can afford the housing anyway, so why not milk it for some more of the rest of our taxpayer money?
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2020, 04:28 AM   #14
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
Quote:
Which is a joke. How many people does California want to continue to put out of work? I guess they figure no one can afford the housing anyway, so why not milk it for some more of the rest of our taxpayer money?
What's a reasonable cost for the possible loss of life? I don't know. Personally, I think it can reopen and limit attendance to 1/4 what it used to be. They can charge double the price to adjust for lower attendance towards operation cost. Maybe only allow certain rides to open. Shorter lines, less people, and strict face mask enforcement.

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 08:27 AM   #15
Smgs1992
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i

Do not encourage them to move to texas or florida! Let them swim in the shithole they created
07 E92 335i 6MT, MMP inlets, DCI, VRSF 7.5 competition intercooler, VRSF catless downpipes, VRSF chargepipe, 335is clutch, Vader Solutions stage 2 LPFP, MHD stage 2+, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, R1 Concepts drilled slotted rotors, TSW Nurburgring 19x8 19x9.5
Appreciate 4
jesm203.00
sirdaft12193.50
ntg442887.50
      10-24-2020, 08:43 AM   #16
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Apart from being able to buy a bigger house for less, are Californians truly happier being in Texas? It’s hot to the point it’s not enjoyable here, plus there is FAR less to do/enjoy in Texas compared to California.
Appreciate 4
jesm203.00
omgf80205.50
chris7197273.00
      10-24-2020, 08:52 AM   #17
Dalbmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

For those planning to move from California to Texas, remember what you are moving from and what you are moving to, and vote accordingly. Don't turn Texas into what you are escaping!
Appreciate 10
Todd0131379.50
Smgs1992720.00
jmack548.50
Hawkeye2069.50
jesm203.00
sirdaft12193.50
ntg442887.50
      10-24-2020, 09:38 AM   #18
Mardio
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5

Quote:

As someone who has lived in California (Bay Area) for 35 years, I think the downfall of the state goes even deeper than politics. It used to be a fantastic place to live and raise a family, the 70s, 80s, and 90s, were the golden years of California.

In the 2000s we saw a massive influx of people. This obviously lead to unbearable traffic and my commute went from 25 minutes to 90 minutes. My hometown went from a middle-class neighborhood to a very wealthy suburb very quickly. With that change we lost the laid-back California attitude and it was replaced with a yuppie stuck up demeanor. This also lead to a strain on the infrastructure, mandatory power outages (what other state does that?), water conservation issues, and constant road construction etc... Then of course there is the smog and unhealthy air. The newest danger seems to be the fires that seem to be more extreme each year, the air quality is so bad that old people are discouraged from going outside. I don't remember any of that growing up there.

I moved to Nashville a few years ago and it has that friendly neighborhood feel of California in the 80s. Everything is almost 50% cheaper it seems. To register my car in California cost $750 annually, the same car in Nashville is $62. My point is the quality of life in California no longer matches the expense of living there, therefore people are leaving in record numbers.
Appreciate 5
Smgs1992720.00
jmg18493.00
Hawkeye2069.50
      10-24-2020, 10:47 AM   #19
JasonDot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4, X3 and 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smgs1992 View Post
Do not encourage them to move to texas or florida! Let them swim in the shithole they created
Haha, no encouragement needed here. The idea of moving from San Diego to Florida or Texas would be a fucking joke.

What is this shithole you speak of?
Appreciate 4
jmg18493.00
omgf80205.50
chris7197273.00
Littlebear3508.50
      10-24-2020, 11:41 AM   #20
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
Apart from being able to buy a bigger house for less, are Californians truly happier being in Texas? It’s hot to the point it’s not enjoyable here, plus there is FAR less to do/enjoy in Texas compared to California.
I dunno, but when we were in CA it was over 100F and we were dying. We were in our RV and the power at the campgrounds was soo bad we could not run both AC units. I'm sure there are other areas that don't get hot like SF but even up at Yosemite it was hot as fuck all when we were there in the summer.

To me CA is like Disney World. They charge you a shit ton of money to get in and it's really gorgeous inside. However once inside you have to deal with the insane amount of people everywhere you go. They have some cool rides, but you then have to stand in line for 3 hours to enjoy a 3min ride and honestly.... a lot of them are shit that haven't been updated in 50 years. $8 for a soda, $20 for a crappy burger.

I personally can't stand Disney World. The cost on my wallet and patience is not worth the awesome 3min ride. However many people are yearly pass holders and go every chance they get. I will never understand how they can possible enjoy that, but I guess as long as they are at Disney World they aren't wherever I am.
Appreciate 2
Smgs1992720.00
      10-24-2020, 01:52 PM   #21
Smgs1992
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonDot View Post
Haha, no encouragement needed here. The idea of moving from San Diego to Florida or Texas would be a fucking joke.

What is this shithole you speak of?
Have you ever left california? Sure the weather is nice and it used to be pretty but otherwise it’s a crime ridden shithole that charges out the ass. It’s constantly on fire and the government in charge cant figure out how to create sustainable infrastructure. The laws there are absolutely ridiculous and you are surrounded by people who think their shit dont stink.
If you like it good for you. San diego is actually supposed to be one of the better cities there but still would be one of the last places i’d choose to live
07 E92 335i 6MT, MMP inlets, DCI, VRSF 7.5 competition intercooler, VRSF catless downpipes, VRSF chargepipe, 335is clutch, Vader Solutions stage 2 LPFP, MHD stage 2+, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, R1 Concepts drilled slotted rotors, TSW Nurburgring 19x8 19x9.5
Appreciate 1
      10-24-2020, 04:20 PM   #22
JasonDot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4, X3 and 330e

@Smgs1992
No, I can't leave California because there's too much crime outside so I stay hidden in my grandmother's basement. Even if I did go outside, why would I with such weak infrastructure and out of reach price on anything from air, white bread, hoverboards, BMWs, cereal and roofing tile. Instead I'll stay in Gram Gram's basement watching the news and the collapse of California. Tomorrow when California floats into the Pacific Ocean maybe we'll figure out how to get these darn fires under control.
Appreciate 1
rwheels7066.50