New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

10-19-2021, 10:29 AM   #1
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
DINAN tune

Does flashing your 35i to the DINAN stage 1 tune essentially make it 35is in terms of hp/tq?

...does 35is have better hardware at all?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2021, 11:43 AM   #2
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoracin View Post
Does flashing your 35i to the DINAN stage 1 tune essentially make it 35is in terms of hp/tq?

It probably would go past 35is stock power figures. Remember 35is has an overboost function that gives it extra power for a limited time... like when you are overtaking on a motorway. For those few seconds you get extra hp and torque... stage 1 tunes would give you power all the time, more of it and not just for a few seconds.

I wouldnt go with Dinan.. i know that Dinan is a reputable company and so on... but i think its tune is conservative and has no upgrade path.
Take a look at MHD Stage1 that you can flash using an app on your phone ( i think its still android only). Its most popular ECU tuning option for n54 engines. Lot of options and if you later install more mods like better intercooler or downpipes you can take the same app and flash stage1+ for intercooler or stage 2 for downpipes... or stage2+ for both to get more power out of the engine..

Ive used Cobb Accessport for years on mine... flashed it to stage 1 93oct...
you do have to change sparkplugs more often... i change them every other service. Also have replaced my coilpacks once... other than that its been good...

Both MHD and Cobb give you opportunity to scan for engine codes, delete them, reset adaptations, and be used as a gauge pod for many engine parameters aswell so you can monitor whatever you want (boost, airfuel, hpfp fuel pressure, battery voltage and so on) ... so even more bonuses...
and you can uninstall or switch to stock map whenever you need or want to.

Now what is different on 35is:
*cosmetic stuff like wing mirror silver paint and is gray gauges in the dash
*stiffer engine mount
*backsection of the exhaust is different for more sporty sound... midpipes,
downpipes turbos etc are the same...
* engine software with different tune and overboost function.
*In US 35is has bigger brakes while 35i got smaller ones from factory... in Europe both 35i and 35is have same bigger brake setup.
*DCT only! 35i had dct as option or manual.

Also something im not totally sure about but some 35i cars i guess dont have engine oil cooler, im sure 35is would definately have it.
Your car does have it. Saw the pictures you posted. My car also has oil cooler from factory. I think its rare to not have oil cooler. Other cooling bits like intercooler and radiator are the same on both models.

And some stuff came standard on the IS that was an option on 35i.

i have searched through parts catalogues trying to find parts that are different on the 35is and only thing i would rob from 35is would be one engine mount that is different and upgrade it when my old one would need replacement.

Last edited by KennyP; 10-19-2021 at 12:00 PM..
Appreciate 1
nomoracin758.00
      10-19-2021, 01:15 PM   #3
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoracin View Post

It probably would go past 35is stock power figures. Remember 35is has an overboost function that gives it extra power for a limited time... like when you are overtaking on a motorway. For those few seconds you get extra hp and torque... stage 1 tunes would give you power all the time, more of it and not just for a few seconds.

I wouldnt go with Dinan.. i know that Dinan is a reputable company and so on... but i think its tune is conservative and has no upgrade path.
Take a look at MHD Stage1 that you can flash using an app on your phone ( i think its still android only). Its most popular ECU tuning option for n54 engines. Lot of options and if you later install more mods like better intercooler or downpipes you can take the same app and flash stage1+ for intercooler or stage 2 for downpipes... or stage2+ for both to get more power out of the engine..

Ive used Cobb Accessport for years on mine... flashed it to stage 1 93oct...
you do have to change sparkplugs more often... i change them every other service. Also have replaced my coilpacks once... other than that its been good...

Both MHD and Cobb give you opportunity to scan for engine codes, delete them, reset adaptations, and be used as a gauge pod for many engine parameters aswell so you can monitor whatever you want (boost, airfuel, hpfp fuel pressure, battery voltage and so on) ... so even more bonuses...
and you can uninstall or switch to stock map whenever you need or want to.

Now what is different on 35is:
*cosmetic stuff like wing mirror silver paint and is gray gauges in the dash
*stiffer engine mount
*backsection of the exhaust is different for more sporty sound... midpipes,
downpipes turbos etc are the same...
* engine software with different tune and overboost function.
*In US 35is has bigger brakes while 35i got smaller ones from factory... in Europe both 35i and 35is have same bigger brake setup.
*DCT only! 35i had dct as option or manual.

Also something im not totally sure about but some 35i cars i guess dont have engine oil cooler, im sure 35is would definately have it.
Your car does have it. Saw the pictures you posted. My car also has oil cooler from factory. I think its rare to not have oil cooler. Other cooling bits like intercooler and radiator are the same on both models.

And some stuff came standard on the IS that was an option on 35i.

i have searched through parts catalogues trying to find parts that are different on the 35is and only thing i would rob from 35is would be one engine mount that is different and upgrade it when my old one would need replacement.
Oh man, that's some good info there!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0