New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

08-08-2018, 02:17 AM   #1
JonathanH
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is 2014

MHD stage 1 tune for Z4 35is

has anyone done a simple MHD OTS Stage 1 tune for an iS model. Is the gain noticeable, and what is the improvement in the 0-100 time ?

If someone could post the 10kph splits up to 160ks that would be great.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 07:07 PM   #2
ray7792
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 35is

I have cobb stage 1 but it should be pretty similar outputs. Gist of it is...difference isn't all that great but its worth it still IMO.
Stock 35is PSI is around 12-13 where as the MHD stage 1, people usually get around 14-15.

You'll probably get like 20whp/20tq gains at peak. At WOT difference isn't that great, noticeable but nothing crazy.
Where you do feel it though is at partial throttle since the overboost function isn't activated on stock tune. But on the OTS its always there.

Haven't seen anybody post times before...it'll be faster for sure, probably by like fraction of a second only though lol. Stickier tires and high launch RPM would probably contribute more if anything
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 12:30 PM   #3
VailM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

you can run stage 1+ on a stock 35iS and then the gains are noticeable. As mentioned above overboots is always on. Put on a golf t-mod and turn on burble for sport mode only and you are all set.

By far and away best bang for your buck for exhaust and power gains on a 35iS.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 04:41 PM   #4
JonathanH
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is 2014

Thanks for the info! Some questions about running with stage 1+ :

any issues around overheating ?
is the increased pressure on for all driving modes, or just for Sport and Sport + ?
can the t-mod be done programmatically - or, to put it another way, coupled only with Sport +? Can the turbos adequately handle the increased PSI ?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 05:58 PM   #5
ray7792
Private
Rep
Drives: '14 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanH View Post

is the increased pressure on for all driving modes, or just for Sport and Sport + ?
can the t-mod be done programmatically - or, to put it another way, coupled only with Sport +? Can the turbos adequately handle the increased PSI ?
Have not experienced personally but from what I've come across. Yes, if you're pushing the car and in hot weather especially, even stock tune you'll notice the ECU pulling timing, the intercooler in these cars are just barely enough. If you run stg1+ which generates even more heat, you'll get to that point that much quicker. That said, the ECU "should" be able to compensate and change the necessary parameters to keep the motor safe at the end of the day, you can try it out and just swap back if you start seeing misfires.

If you want different target PSI using comfort/sport/sport+ you'll need to go with JB4 route. Don't think flash tunes support it on this platform.
Same with the golf-T mod, JB4 you can have a button, nothing for MHD/Cobb

Stock turbos are pretty good for over 20psi I believe so should be no issues...

I'd recommend getting new spark plugs at the very minimum if you'll tune it and car has over 25K miles. Maybe coils too. I had a misfire first time I flashed it, but since changing the plugs and coils its been fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2018, 12:44 AM   #6
VailM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanH View Post

Could be that I have a Euro 35iS but really don't think there is a difference.

To your points.

- Car doesn't overheat and doesn't get any hotter than when I had it stock. Never past half way on engine temp gage even after pushing it VERY hard.

- golf t mod, as far as i know is mechanical mod. its either on or off. It takes all of 20 seconds to put on or off once you know what you are doing.

- if you are going to run burble just make sure its at 0 seconds for normal and medium 0.5 (i found the best) for sport. You get best of both worlds.
Appreciate 0