New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

07-19-2017, 05:18 PM   #1
rif75
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 LCI ZCP and BMW M5 f10

Coding out adaptative suspension

Hello Guys

Can someone help me with this. I just ordered a set of KW V3 for my z4

I went with a kit without edc cancel because I know that a lot of people do it on F series and even on M3 e92 but I find nothing for the z4.

If someone can provide me some help to do this. I already did some coding with ncs on e90 so it should be not very different with good instruction.

Thanks
      07-19-2017, 07:37 PM   #2
NoQuarter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi / 2011 Z4 35Is

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2008 535xi  [0.00]
2011 Z4 35is  [0.00]
E89 and e90 use the same daten files. Try taking a look using the same technique you did before.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 11:14 PM   #3
rif75
Lieutenant
France
Rep

yes but the only e90 with adpative suspension is the m3 with edc and not sure that the system works thr same as adaptative suspension on e89 and f series non M
      07-20-2017, 12:00 PM   #4
jts1981
Captain
Rep
Drives: n54

Quote:
Originally Posted by rif75 View Post
yes but the only e90 with adpative suspension is the m3 with edc and not sure that the system works thr same as adaptative suspension on e89 and f series non M
I think the units may differ. On realoem they look different.
GC LITES / BQ TUNE / MHD / FUEL IT BT ECA / WALBRO 525 LPFP / KW V3 / E9X M3 CONTROL ARMS / TURNER REAR CAMBER ARMS / RE BUSHINGS / H&R SWAYS / LUXON STRUTBAR / VRSF 7.5" FMIC / ER CP / TIAL BOV / VTT IN/OUTLETS / AFE PRO5R INTAKE / AR C.L. DP / BMS OCC / RB PVC / CF LIP + SIDE + SPOILER + DIFFUSER / IND REFLECTORS / BLK GRILLS / STUBBY / PB BBK / Forgestar F14 F: 19x9 et35 R: 19x10 et38/ Michelin PSS F: 245/35/19 R: 275/30/19
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 01:07 PM   #5
NoQuarter
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2008 535xi  [0.00]
2011 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Can you connect to the module and read the settings via NCSExpert?

Maybe something a "little" obvious in there to try.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 01:30 PM   #6
rif75
Lieutenant
France
Rep

Yes I can try. I ll do it tomorrow and let you know.

Thanks guys
      08-24-2017, 03:16 PM   #7
rif75
Lieutenant
France
Rep

Hello Guys,

I checked on the etk and the module has the same ref part that on M3

Good news for, that means that the coding should be the same as for the M3 since e89 and e90 is the same on NCS.

My z4 is at the shop for putting the KW V3, I ll give it a try next week when I ll go to take back my car
      08-24-2017, 03:21 PM   #8
rif75
Lieutenant
France
Rep

Somebody know where I can found the module?
      01-17-2018, 08:28 PM   #9
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rif75 View Post
Somebody know where I can found the module?
Did you get your etc coded out? i need to do this for my car.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 02:25 AM   #10
rif75
Lieutenant
France
Rep

Nope. For now, I ll stay with the message when I start the car, not so bad, just a warning
      02-16-2018, 05:46 AM   #11
fran_br
Rep
Drives: FF z4 e89

Hi! I will try this when i have time:

This is a how-to for those of you who have the very expensive EDC (VDC) electronic adjustable damper control and want to replace with either coilovers or other non EDC dampers. It will cost £2,500 to replace the EDC dampers on all 4 corners and they are only available through BMW.

Now assuming you have replaced all the dampers for new units or coilovers, you will have the EDC warning light on every time you switch on the ignition. You can either buy an EDC defeat kit at approximately £300 which don't always work or code out.

To code out, open the bonnet and remove the ECU box cover at the right rear of the engine bay (it has 11 T25 torx screws). The EDC module is at the back of this box and has two connectors, one white one blue. Disconnect both of them and put ecu box cover back on and tighten screws.

Then connect up your laptop to the zed and load up NCS-Expert. First remove option 2VF from the Vehicle Order (VO) on the CAS using FA_write; then change ECU and FA_write the NFRM.

Now code the DSC and Kombi modules. This is the point that most online forums get to and the EDC error warning still comes on. You now have to edit the FSW_PSW.MAN file using notepad. Search for EDCK_ALIVE_ZAEHLER and then set EDCK_ALIVE_ZAEHLER to nicht_aktiv and search for EDCK_ID_MONITOR and set to nicht_aktiv.

The EDC is now removed completely from the zed and no more warning lights. If I did it again I would be tempted just to change the FSW_PSW.MAN file first and code just the Kombi to see this works before recoding the DSC.

As a precaution or if you want to change back later, take a READ of each of the modules (CAS, FRM/NFRM, Kombi, DSC) using NCS-Expert and then if anything goes wrong you can revert back or reinstall EDC dampers again.

I have non-Idrive but if you have it then this next step may also be required -
If you have the first gen idrive (08) in CAPPL set EDC to nicht_aktiv. / if you have the later idrive in CIC set EDC_CIC to nicht_aktiv

Make sure that you are confident using NCS-Expert before doing this as I do not accept any responsibility if something goes wrong whilst you are coding. There are plenty of guides on the internet to NCS-Expert.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 09:16 AM   #12
NoQuarter
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2008 535xi  [0.00]
2011 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Ha... it never occurred to me to just remove it from the VO as if it was never installed. I had it stuck in my head to connect to the module to make manual changes.

By removing it from the VO, editing any modules manually should not be necessary. Coding those modules should make the required changes to match the VO. and, if one were to just code the entire car after changing the VO, there would be no guessing as to which modules require changes.

after all the thinking on it, this turns out to be a pretty simple change I think.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 12:43 PM   #13
fran_br
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fran_br View Post

This is a how-to for those of you who have the very expensive EDC (VDC) electronic adjustable damper control and want to replace with either coilovers or other non EDC dampers. It will cost £2,500 to replace the EDC dampers on all 4 corners and they are only available through BMW.

Now assuming you have replaced all the dampers for new units or coilovers, you will have the EDC warning light on every time you switch on the ignition. You can either buy an EDC defeat kit at approximately £300 which don't always work or code out.

To code out, open the bonnet and remove the ECU box cover at the right rear of the engine bay (it has 11 T25 torx screws). The EDC module is at the back of this box and has two connectors, one white one blue. Disconnect both of them and put ecu box cover back on and tighten screws.

Then connect up your laptop to the zed and load up NCS-Expert. First remove option 2VF from the Vehicle Order (VO) on the CAS using FA_write; then change ECU and FA_write the NFRM.

Now code the DSC and Kombi modules. This is the point that most online forums get to and the EDC error warning still comes on. You now have to edit the FSW_PSW.MAN file using notepad. Search for EDCK_ALIVE_ZAEHLER and then set EDCK_ALIVE_ZAEHLER to nicht_aktiv and search for EDCK_ID_MONITOR and set to nicht_aktiv.

The EDC is now removed completely from the zed and no more warning lights. If I did it again I would be tempted just to change the FSW_PSW.MAN file first and code just the Kombi to see this works before recoding the DSC.

As a precaution or if you want to change back later, take a READ of each of the modules (CAS, FRM/NFRM, Kombi, DSC) using NCS-Expert and then if anything goes wrong you can revert back or reinstall EDC dampers again.

If you have the first gen idrive (08) in CAPPL set EDC to nicht_aktiv. / if you have the later idrive in CIC set EDC_CIC to nicht_aktiv

Make sure that you are confident using NCS-Expert before doing this as I do not accept any responsibility if something goes wrong whilst you are coding. There are plenty of guides on the internet to NCS-Expert.
Done today and work for me.

Last edited by fran_br; 06-22-2018 at 03:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 06:24 PM   #14
SLF80
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F80

Quote:
[...]

[...]

Are you using FA_WRITE with the ExpertMode profile in NCSExpert?

And once done, do you switch profile to VO code DSC and KOMBI or are you doing it with ExportMode profile still?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 11:27 PM   #15
fran_br
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikF80 View Post
Are you using FA_WRITE with the ExpertMode profile in NCSExpert?

And once done, do you switch profile to VO code DSC and KOMBI or are you doing it with ExportMode profile still?
Hi!

I cant help you. I give the instructions to a guy that know how to code and he do it.

Regards
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 05:49 PM   #16
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

Quote:

As im having KW V3 installed on thursday i tried coding out my adaptive suspension today. Did all as said in this guide. Unplugged white and blue cable in ecu box. Removed 2VF from CAS and NFRM list and then coded Kombi module lines to nicht aktiv. While in kombi i activated digital speedometer just for fun aswell . Did not have a DSC module option to choose but found a ZDSC ecu. Reading ZDSC it did not have any mentioned EDC lines in it. Also in CIC module i found EDC CIC already Nicht Aktiv. Anyway the error that popped up after unplugging the cables is gone. Did not go for a testdrive as it was late and left the battery charger to do its thing.

If that error comes back i guess i have to look into updating sp daten files as that may be the cause of me not seeing correct DSC module on my ecu list.

Thanks for the guide! Saved me from buying a 300eur cancellation kit. 15 eur cable and 1-2 hours messing with laptop is quite an alternative.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 02:42 PM   #17
VinceCaruso
Rep
Drives: 2011 z4

Has anyone done this with Bimmercode? I was able to clear the error with bimmerlink, but it comes right back as soon as I drive. So I paid for the full version of bimmercode but I don't have the full menu shown in the demo (not crash safety menu for one).
Appreciate 0