BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-01-2024, 01:56 PM   #1
afguy74
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

2023 BMW X4 Automatic PDC Activation

*** UPDATE***
So today, as I drove up to my carport, I slowed down to like 3 kms right before I pulled in and sure enough as soon as my car went past the pillar of the carport, the PDC came on with plenty of room for everything. I also noted that as the PDC was active, there was no check mark on the top right corner where the Autom. Parking is but that check mark is there when I reverse back out of my carport. I also clicked on the little camera in top of the hood with the A as I was backing out of my work parking spot just to see what happed. Not sure if one thing or a combo of things triggered it as well. One more thing, I noticed that the collision avoidance with the red car came up way too late as I was driving on the autobahn.
***UPDATE***

Hello everybody, I have an issue that maybe somebody has come across. I just got this 2023 X4 and as soon as I drove slowly into my carport, the automatic PDC activation turned on and I could see the front camera along with the over the top camera and sensors. I believe it came on because of the metal pillars holding the carport. Now, all the sudden, it does not turn on once I drive in the carport unless I am right on top of my house. Of course, I can always push the park assist button by the shifter and then it all works as it is intended.

Any ideas of what is going on? I have service coming up in June so I was going to ask the dealer to look at maybe calibrating the sensors.

Last edited by afguy74; 05-03-2024 at 02:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 05:58 PM   #2
COM40
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Can you set a GPS waypoint? I have one set on mine but it doesn't work consistently.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 11:41 PM   #3
afguy74
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by COM40 View Post
Can you set a GPS waypoint? I have one set on mine but it doesn't work consistently.
Hey COM40, I see that you can set those points but I shouldn't have to since it used to work. I may try to do one of those points that you can set when you click on the front camera button. The PDC still turns on automatically but it is just too close to things before it does.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 11:45 AM   #4
COM40
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

My 2019 does the same thing. I pull into my garage, most of the time the waypoint doesn't trigger, and Idrive doesn't switch over to the parking cameras until I'm close enough to something that it's red and beeping.

Maybe that's just by design - they assume the driver has sufficient depth perception so PDC doesn't kick in until you're close to hitting something. It does disrupt the media screen (or whatever else you were on) so if it's too proactive it would create another annoyance in making you click back to media or nav.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 12:32 PM   #5
afguy74
Registered
Rep

I agree with what you are saying and it makes sense that if you are a good driver, you will park your car good and I can do that. I am telling you that it seemed that the PDC started earlier than it does now. Maybe it is just me...lol...
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 09:04 PM   #6
BMWbiker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive wagon

The other day, I drove a borrowed car. It has no backup camera or sensors. It felt weird backing up with no electronic assistance. Definitely old school.
      05-03-2024, 02:22 PM   #7
afguy74
Registered
Rep

Check out the update in my original post.
Appreciate 0