New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-06-2012, 04:56 PM   #23
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

interesting.

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #24
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82M/S213 E450 A/T

If I understand well they will replace the 335hp 35is n54 powered by a 320hp m35i n55 powered. In other words it's just a way to reduce the cost by cutting the n54 not quite an improvment.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #25
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
I don't think that is what Scott26 meant.

I think he meant that the new Z4 35i LCI will have an "M Performance package" option on it, just like the new X6 35i will have that option. And since it comes with a little extra HP, that will eliminate the need for the Z4 is. I don't think he meant there is going to be a full blown M Performance model like Europe is getting right now.

I think there is a lot of confusion between the M Performance "package" and "model". The models have a bunch of changes on them and very close to an actual M, the "package" just adds a little horsepower, exterior M looks and maybe a few other smaller tweaks (just like the "is" did), but the model designation does not change when you get the package. So this would not be a Z4 M Performance badged car. Think more along the lines of AMG offering the performance package that adds power to their cars, doesn't make it a different model like the "black edition" though.
No he was responding to my comment which was
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
Hey next time you talk to anyone at the M-Division can you ask them if they are going to redo the Z4 35is into a M-Performance Z4 (Not a Z4M for clarification). If there is any car in BMW's line up that needs to be a little sportier its the Z4.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #26
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
the letter M belongs only on BMW M cars, to do it otherwise is deception

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 06:26 PM   #27
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I'm hoping this means they'll give it the full M Performance treatment like the M550d and the rest, meaning different suspension, bushings, hopefully mechanical power steering, etc. That would really make for a sweet car.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #28
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post

I agree w/ this....I can't stand how they have all these 'M' components, which only marginally add to the car it's on, still, M should be M only, not all this M-SUV (SAV) crap...how can a SUV be a true M?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 09:15 PM   #29
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

I also agree...

Changing the name of the "is" into "I-am-almost-an-M-but-not-really" is just what BMW has to do given the new directions from marketing. Why did they call it a 35is and not a 38i or 40i in the first place anyway? It is not exciting or pretty with an M-letter on the Z4 if you ask me. Please let a Z4 be a Z-car just like an M3 is an M-car and an X3 is an X-car. And then feel free to offer 2 seater or 4x4 (GTR-type) versions of any M-cars, but not the other way around! My point is that an X5 with a twin turbo 560hp V8 is fine, but dont call it an X5M. Just call it a (fast) X5 because that is what it is!
Yes, an LSD would make it easier to drift a Z4, and it should have been available as an option, but this is a roadster! It cannot become a focused race car at the same time. I think the point of driving this car is to enjoy sporty/GT driving with a big smile on open roads. I dont see why it has to aspire to racing or M when it is already a Z. And btw I just checked fastestlaptimes.com. At 1:42.30 the 35is was less than half a second slower around the "Autozeitung test track" vs the M3 convertible.

Last edited by Asbjorn; 04-06-2012 at 09:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #30
MHeavNC
Turd in the Punch Bowl
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i /// 2008 M Coupe

If they make a full blown E89 M, I will be ok with it.. However, I am not too big on M packages.. Regardless of what they do, I don't think I would replace my M Coupe.. That is one thrilling car to drive!!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 09:55 PM   #31
SCBMW02
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i and 2022 Z4 M40i

Garage List
I must agree, too much dilution of the M. Trying to fill every niche with is, M performance parts, M performance model etc is getting rediculous. If they want to make full on M versions of every model fine. Having cars that say M but are not really quite M does nothing for the M brand imo. The Z4 35is is a blast to drive and does not have to be a track car to be enjoyed. While M suspension and brakes, hell a full blown M roadster, would be great, it is not really necessary.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 09:57 PM   #32
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing

Ever hear of M Technic?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 09:58 PM   #33
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster
I'm hoping this means they'll give it the full M Performance treatment like the M550d and the rest, meaning different suspension, bushings, hopefully mechanical power steering, etc. That would really make for a sweet car.
And a real differential. But yes, bring it on!,
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 10:43 PM   #34
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I think the differential only belongs on the full M car, the one that is likely to be used on the track. In the hands of the typical BMW buyer, a locking differential is as much a liability as it is an asset. I know too many amateur drivers who are way too quick to switch off their traction control when they want to have fun in the twisties. In a regular 3 series that's no problem, give it too much gas coming out of a corner and you'll just cook the inside tire, but if you have a locking differential you can get way too sideways if you don't know what you are doing. I've seen plenty of people put their cars into trees, so I understand BMW's unwillingness to put a locking diff in normal production cars.

Another thing, I have no idea where so many of you got the idea that an M car was EVER a focused car, but that was never the idea. They are supposed to be the ultimate incarnation of the series vehicle on which they are based. That means being equally comfortable painting your face with smiles on the race track as they are carrying you and your kids to the grocery store. They are supposed to be a jack of all trades, not a master of any one. The fact that they generally dominate their competition (without sacrificing comfort or any other attribute) is only a testament to BMW's incredible engineers, not proof that they are singular in their purpose.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 10:50 PM   #35
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
Another thing, I have no idea where so many of you got the idea that an M car was EVER a focused car, but that was never the idea. They are supposed to be the ultimate incarnation of the series vehicle on which they are based. That means being equally comfortable painting your face with smiles on the race track as they are carrying you and your kids to the grocery store. They are supposed to be a jack of all trades, not a master of any one. The fact that they generally dominate their competition (without sacrificing comfort or any other attribute) is only a testament to BMW's incredible engineers, not proof that they are singular in their purpose.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 11:14 PM   #36
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Remember folks, Scott26 was wrong before:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
A Z4M is inevitable - The 1M dies by 2012 as does the M3 by mid 2012.
The M5 will be available as it joins the X5M and X6M with the M6 Coupe coming later in 2012. This leaves nothing for the compact-medium segment for M Division. The same problem when the previous car was introduced , the M3 was just about dead and nothing to support the larger M5 and M6 models.
His latest pronouncement sounds a lot like the gypsy palm reader down the street - weak on details - just enough info to keep you guessing. You fill in the blanks with your own hopes and wishes.

Quote:
The forthcoming Z4 Life Cycle Impulse will see the Z4 35iS absorbed into the BMW M Performance Automobiles line.
What I think is interesting is that SCOTT26's last rumor kept us talking since 09-29-2010. Now that his old rumor is officially dead, another rabbit pops out of the hat!

I know for a fact that BMW factory monitors these boards because they dropped comments in the X6 forum from time to time. It was never a two way conversation - if someone was complaining about poor service from BMW, the BMW NA Factory Rep would mention he would makes some contacts and then PM the OP.

It wouldn't surprise me if this SCOTT26's isn't a real person at all but a user name created by BMW marketing just to keep interest high and rumors flying.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Last edited by teagueAMX; 04-08-2012 at 01:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 11:48 PM   #37
Morning Hawk
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Subaru R2

Instead of having an "M Performance" category that takes away from the "M" meaning, it would have been nice if BMW called that in-between category the "S" line. So something like:

335i - baseline
335is - probably not necessary
S3 - Sport performance
M3 - Motorsport (highest) performance

This would cater to those who never wish to ever track their car but want some of the M performance parts and the aero package without the complete M car/engine. Would cost less and meet a new price point...

Kind of along the same lines of how the new M5 has the separate categories for some of the different driving modes:
- Sport (think of this as the "S")
- Sport Plus (consider this the "M")

This is just IMHO how I would have done it if I were BMW President & CEO for a day....
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 01:37 AM   #38
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
I just wish BMW would stick with a naming strategy.

I feel sorry for the X5 buyers of the 30sd. They then put the same motor in the 35d, then the 40d.
All for what was basically the same car and motor, just playing witht he names in their range to see what sold well.

It smells of being too cheap to do any market research.

Now we have the Z4 35iS, which might now be renamed as the M35i.

All this does is lower the resale of the cars for the early buyers.

Dont do this to my 35iS, unless you admit your naming mistake and recall all the 35iS cars and rename them as M35i.

There is only soo many times you can slap a buyer before they realise they are being insulted.

Audi and MB have clear naming strategies for their performance models and THEY STICK TO THEM.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 02:02 AM   #39
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich@GTBPerformance View Post
Agreed.

A Z4M with the S65 would be a truly amazing car. Maybe they could do it as a single year production run like the 1M coupe.
If such a car ever comes out, i will be banging on my dealer's door at mid nite with a cheque in hand. The Z4 M Coupe is the M car in my bucket list that i desire the most!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 03:03 AM   #40
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stig 2
I just wish BMW would stick with a naming strategy.

I feel sorry for the X5 buyers of the 30sd. They then put the same motor in the 35d, then the 40d.
All for what was basically the same car and motor, just playing witht he names in their range to see what sold well.

It smells of being too cheap to do any market research.

Now we have the Z4 35iS, which might now be renamed as the M35i.

All this does is lower the resale of the cars for the early buyers.

Dont do this to my 35iS, unless you admit your naming mistake and recall all the 35iS cars and rename them as M35i.

There is only soo many times you can slap a buyer before they realise they are being insulted.

Audi and MB have clear naming strategies for their performance models and THEY STICK TO THEM.
Audi you say, then why didn't they call the R8 the RS9? That would have fit better with their naming strategy.

Every brand with an alphanumeric naming system screws it up. This is nothing new.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 05:51 AM   #41
shenglin
New Blood
Singapore
Rep
Drives: --

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Hawk View Post
Instead of having an "M Performance" category that takes away from the "M" meaning, it would have been nice if BMW called that in-between category the "S" line. So something like:

335i - baseline
335is - probably not necessary
S3 - Sport performance
M3 - Motorsport (highest) performance

This would cater to those who never wish to ever track their car but want some of the M performance parts and the aero package without the complete M car/engine. Would cost less and meet a new price point...

Kind of along the same lines of how the new M5 has the separate categories for some of the different driving modes:
- Sport (think of this as the "S")
- Sport Plus (consider this the "M")

This is just IMHO how I would have done it if I were BMW President & CEO for a day....
That's what Audi is doing.
A5, S5 and RS5.

Clearly, they know how to cater to the upcoming generation of simple and minimalist approach to marketing.

I just hope that these M-performance vehicles can be less confusing to the general public as the days go by. I wouldn't wish to have the need to explain to my friends that my car is a sporty version of the 3 series but not yet a M3. Doesn't sound cool.

People drive M3s overseas while we can only afford public transport in my country..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 06:38 AM   #42
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

The 1 Series M Coupé E82 and Z4 sDrive35is E89 are powered by the same N54 making 340 PS. Now all N54 engines, are replaced, or are getting replaced like in the 7 Series F01/F02 LCI, by the N55 making 306 PS (35i) and 320 PS (40i). The M135i F20/F21 will be in some way be a replacement of the 1 Series M Coupé E82. As the Z4 E89 LCI comes out, we'll see instead of the Z4 sDrive35is E89 the Z4 M35i E89 LCI, powered by the same N55 as in the M135i F20/F21. From what I heard power is about 335 PS. Why BMW come up with a Z4 M35i and not a true Z4 M was already said before. The same engine should be found in the coming X1 M35i E84 LCI. The purpose of these M Automobiles is to have some more sporty oriented vehicles, without going the complete M transformation and reducing costs, though having more performant cars than the BMW AG vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 08:44 AM   #43
misterbeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92, E46 M3, E39 M5, 750Li

I love the way this car looks but in terms of performance and steering feel, it needs some improvements.

Also, consider that the Mercedes SLK55 AMG fully optioned comes in at around $79K compared to a near fully optioned Z4 sDrive35is at $74K. Both cars look great! By adding M components, BMW is going to charge close to or more than the SLK55 AMG. Just give us a pure Z4M!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 08:55 AM   #44
speedyjoe
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3/1M

This is 'M' inflation
Appreciate 0