New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

08-02-2019, 10:43 PM   #1
zthx
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW Z4 28i

BMW Z4 28i Modifications

Hi,

Would you guys share the modifications you have made to your E89 (2009-2016) BMW Z4 28i car? I did see the list of modifications for N20 engines but not all of those are applicable to fit a Z4 28i..I have a 2016 BMW Z4 28i. Could someone share if they have an:

1. Exhaust system (NOT CUSTOM) on the BMW Z4 28i that can pass emissions? I see a lot of posts about downpipes + using a DP Fix..could someone confirm if this still can be found for purchase? If the DP Fix cannot be found for purchase, can someone please recommend a decent sounding exhaust system that can pass emissions? Not sure if downpipe with "race cats" (whatever this means) is an option?
 I think I read JB4 tune can rid of codes for downpipes to pass emission but not sure?

2. I am unable to find a BOV for the BMW Z4 28i, does this part exist for this car/engine? I finally found a Charge Pipe but a manufacturer said BOV cannot fit for this type of car. ECS Tuning. com has a Atmospheric Blow Off Valve kit..has anyone tried this?

3. I did my comparison between Dinan, JB4, RaceChip, and BMS Stage 1.. I plan on ordering the BMS Stage 1 and a Momentum GT Aluminum Black Cold Air Intake System. Would anyone recommend a different cold air intake?

Any advice would be appreciated for the three questions above regarding 28i and not 35i/N54.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 04:10 PM   #2
starrman
Rep
Drives: Nissan Altima

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthx View Post
Hi,

Would you guys share the modifications you have made to your E89 (2009-2016) BMW Z4 28i car? I did see the list of modifications for N20 engines but not all of those are applicable to fit a Z4 28i..I have a 2016 BMW Z4 28i. Could someone share if they have an:

1. Exhaust system (NOT CUSTOM) on the BMW Z4 28i that can pass emissions? I see a lot of posts about downpipes + using a DP Fix..could someone confirm if this still can be found for purchase? If the DP Fix cannot be found for purchase, can someone please recommend a decent sounding exhaust system that can pass emissions? Not sure if downpipe with "race cats" (whatever this means) is an option?
 I think I read JB4 tune can rid of codes for downpipes to pass emission but not sure?

2. I am unable to find a BOV for the BMW Z4 28i, does this part exist for this car/engine? I finally found a Charge Pipe but a manufacturer said BOV cannot fit for this type of car. ECS Tuning. com has a Atmospheric Blow Off Valve kit..has anyone tried this?

3. I did my comparison between Dinan, JB4, RaceChip, and BMS Stage 1.. I plan on ordering the BMS Stage 1 and a Momentum GT Aluminum Black Cold Air Intake System. Would anyone recommend a different cold air intake?

Any advice would be appreciated for the three questions above regarding 28i and not 35i/N54.

Thank you!
I got a cat less down pipe and had a custom exhaust made....single all the way. Have no idea why they came with a single to a double....regardless it is loud, but not obnoxious.
My N20 (28i) has a pnuematic waste gate vs a BOV...I guess you could make the change.
I ordered the JB4, but unfortunately it is no longer made for the e89...they sent me one for a X1... it would work, but I was going to have to alter the wiring harness and mount it in a less than desirable location. Researching other option now....I returned the JB4.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2022, 04:40 PM   #3
r3vmatch
Rep
Drives: 3.0si Roadster

I know this is an older thread, but have either OP or responder looked into the 'BM3' tuning option?
Appreciate 0