New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-03-2021, 05:07 AM   #1
TPrezzle
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89 SDrive35i

Unhappy Strange sounds over shoulder. Several issues.

Hey all! Three issues on my 2011 E89 35i (54K miles)

1. When closing the driver window (in the vid I thought it was to do with shutting the door but I think it’s just the window) I get this weird noise over my right shoulder. Assuming it’s something to do with the window motor - easy fix? Seems to stop after doing it a few times. Link to sound here.

2. Usually after driving for a little while, I get a fairly high-pitched whine over my shoulder. I think it goes up in pitch slightly when I apply gas. Haven’t managed to get it on video yet but.. LPFP issue? Easy fix or not?

3. Hopefully not serious but I often smell petrol when I start the car up. Hopefully not related to the previous issue and hopefully nothing serious. Never had it in any other cars just want to know if it’s a concern.

I’m under an extended warranty from the dealer I bought it from, so it’s not the end of the world but more keen on knowing if these are urgent repairs or if it can wait.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 05:09 AM   #2
TPrezzle
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89 SDrive35i

Also, regarding the first issue.. The car is new to me and this is my first time driving in the wet. I'm thinking it could possibly be the sound of air escaping on a wet surface when the window goes up. Thoughts? The sound did lessen the more times I rolled the window up.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 05:56 PM   #3
AM26
Lithuania
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW Z4 sDrive35is

Hey

1. Does this issue happen when the top is down? If not then it could be window seals. If so, try applying some kind of lube to them.

2. Can not say anything about that

3. If engine runs normal than everything is fine. On cold start the engine runs rich and the catalysts are cold so they can not catalyze the exhaust fumes hence the fuel smell.
Appreciate 0