New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > E89 Z4 Photos / Video / Media Gallery

03-17-2014, 04:47 AM   #23
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

Weichers appear to use an outdated design with hinges - never go with a strut bar with a hinged section as it allows the bar to pivot on the hinge - imagine when the car goes up and down, the strut will pivot around that point. Need 100% solid welds.

The LUXON bar actually looks like it will perform better especially as its carbon steel vs aluminium of the Weichers.

I just wonder if it will definitely be functional to tighten up the front....and ALSO whether it the airbox will hit the strut bar on the N54.....
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 10:50 AM   #24
DKZTT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW Z 35i

Ok, yeah the wider base on the Luxon looks stronger. I want to lessen my body roll when I corner.
      03-18-2014, 04:56 AM   #25
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep

I don't think the strut bar is meant to lessen body roll - that is what a sway bar is for. However on cars that I have attached sway bars to, I must admit that for some reason body roll does appear to be less and also steering more precise with a sharper response on quick lane changes.

I really want to see if anyone on this forum has tried the LUXON bar with the N54 engine. Want to make sure that the air box does not hit it when the engine is under load.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 08:04 AM   #26
DKZTT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW Z 35i

Already added HR sway bars, helped but still have body roll. Not sure about this but I think because of the clam shell design there is less structural strength.
Hopefully adding the strut bar will help it more.
      03-18-2014, 08:38 AM   #27
Gunzaro
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Speed Racer

I think also adding a strut bar can help to reduce the interior creaks on the dash!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 09:13 PM   #28
ttuner
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4

Mine in red:

03-20-2014, 04:12 AM   #29
Gunzaro
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep

Looks great in red! Notice any difference? Fitment issues?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 09:40 AM   #30
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

If you only stiffen the front sway bar, you increase under-steer, right? To me it seems that selecting the m-sport suspension, and putting the roof down, where it should always be, would be the best solution if you want to decrease body-roll in a Z4.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2014, 05:17 AM   #31
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Want to order one of these Luxon bars in black but want to know people's opinions on whether they actually do anything before I pull the trigger.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 10:54 PM   #32
Innovative AutoConcepts
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 E89 Alpine White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alext View Post
Want to order one of these Luxon bars in black but want to know people's opinions on whether they actually do anything before I pull the trigger.
I say it does make a difference. It tightened up the steering, but it really compliments the H&R sway bars.

Overall, for the price and what it does, I say 100% worth it.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 10:30 AM   #33
Gunzaro
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep

Ok I've got one of these on order. I liked how there are no hinges in the design and the fact it ties to 3 points on the strut with a sturdy looking base plate.

I remember I had a 97 Mitsubishi Mirage that I modded as a hobby back when I was a kid. One day I went into the tuning shop and bought a cheap $99 strut bar just because I liked the look of it and had some spare cash. I remember I could actually flex the thing myself.

Got home and installed it just happy I had some engine bay candy. Thought nothing more of it when I closed the hood. Went for drive and had to avoid something in the road and DAM I thought hang on a minute this thing's steering is responsive! I did some quick lane changes and found less body roll and a lot more precision. Wasn't expecting that for this cheapo bar....

So these things CAN make a difference. How much to the e89 I'm not sure but will soon see.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 03:51 AM   #34
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Just a big WARNING to any Aussie buyers. I paid for one of these off ebay from Luxonmall directly for US$179.99 and everything went through OK. Postage was US$61.99 to Australia expedited which I paid. Total US $242.

I then receive an email stating that they want an EXTRA US $180 for postage or they will refund me!!! They said it was because they can only send this item by EMS premium to Australia due to size regulations. So I checked the Ebay advert again. And guess what? They have changed it.

Now it's gone up to US $249.99 BUT interesting includes FREE EXPIDITED international shipping to Australia. The price is $8.00 more than I paid. So I'm thinking WTF is going on here?

I agreed to pay the extra $8.00 as per their latest ad (although I shouldn't technically have to) as a gesture of goodwill but certainly not an extra US $180. I even looked on their Korean postage website and couldn't see how this would cost US$240 in postage alone to Australia but not to any other countries???

NB: I am waiting to hear their response but I'm pretty annoyed as I spent a lot of time researching this product.

Edit: The extra they wanted was correct (US$240 for postage alone) and makes it not worth getting. They ended up giving me a prompt refund. They STILL have the listing stating they post to Australia for $249.99 INC. postage though....any ideas how I can get this item in Australia?

Last edited by Alext; 04-05-2014 at 09:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 04:26 AM   #35
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep

I managed to acquire one of these eventually. And yes the amount they wanted for shipping at US$240 was a rip off. I discovered postage should have only cost a fraction of that at US$90 for express delivery (arrived in about 4 days to Australia).

Have not installed yet but looking forward to it.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 07:36 AM   #36
shwaara
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90

Any update?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 08:05 AM   #37
scootr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 3.0 6MT

I bought mine from the eBay website. I got over the cost. You certainly are not finding anything as nice for less. Install was painless. It nearly dropped on my 8 yr old E89. A child could do it.
I have been putting it through the usual spirited driving paces. I feel the car is more responsive and solid in very hard corners. Plus it looks so good
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 01:19 PM   #38
taranfx
Z4 35is
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is || 2016 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr View Post
I bought mine from the eBay website. I got over the cost. You certainly are not finding anything as nice for less. Install was painless. It nearly dropped on my 8 yr old E89. A child could do it.
I have been putting it through the usual spirited driving paces. I feel the car is more responsive and solid in very hard corners. Plus it looks so good
I'm looking to get one. Can you elaborate "more responsive"?
btw I've H&R swaybars and KWv3 suspension. Car is very responsive, I was wondering if I can increase steering feel.
I do lot of twisties so looking for your input.
      12-14-2019, 06:46 AM   #39
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taranfx View Post
I'm looking to get one. Can you elaborate "more responsive"?
btw I've H&R swaybars and KWv3 suspension. Car is very responsive, I was wondering if I can increase steering feel.
I do lot of twisties so looking for your input.
You need to swap in spherical bearings to increase steering feel. And drive in dsc=off or sport+ modes.

You can also try sportier tires and alignment. The most responsive tires I have tried personally are the Zestino Gredge 07R. It is a drift oriented tire so they have stiffer sidewalls than for instance ad08r and even slick competition tires. Cup2s are comfortable in comparison, and I assume ps4s are even less responsive. This is all based on 18in wheels.

My car is almost all bearing suspension arms now. This is because I mainly use the car for time attack competitions and top down cruising. I also run solid rear subframe mounts.
If you want a sharper feeling street-use Z4, go for the E9x M tension struts and M camber arms up front, and solid rear subframe mounts. Then you have eliminated all the softest bushings on your Z4.

Strut tower bars really make no difference in comparison. They are just easy to install and look nice. Therefore many people do those. Its a bit like putting DCIs on a regular stage 2 car. It's a super easy DIY, so people do it a lot. They also sound faster... they just aren't.

I also have the lower chassis bars, but while they are cool, I don't really think they are worth the money.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0