New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-19-2021, 10:52 AM   #23
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
1898
Rep
1,550
Posts

Drives: Model 3, Mustang GT, F350
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyG-inFlaNow View Post
I'm not getting it unless it gives me X-Ray vision on females ONLY!
Who needs x-ray vision when you have the internet? Enjoy my friend.

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 10:53 AM   #24
M_Six
Free Thinker
M_Six's Avatar
United_States
5866
Rep
6,843
Posts

Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Rudi View Post
Had the Covid, got the shot later. I have found that I can now see around corners. Kinda useful.
Now I'm pissed. I didn't get that benefit. Is that specific to folks who had COVID and then got the shot?

__________________
Mark
markj.pics

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 2
King Rudi10539.00
Mosaud19981056.50
      03-19-2021, 10:57 AM   #25
TommyG-inFlaNow
Captain
TommyG-inFlaNow's Avatar
780
Rep
650
Posts

Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bradenton FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Who needs x-ray vision when you have the internet? Enjoy my friend.
GGGrrrrrrrr....well that didn't work as planned. Maybe if I rub my lamp Ill get 2 more wishes.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2021, 11:39 AM   #26
Esteban
Major General
Esteban's Avatar
United_States
6123
Rep
7,028
Posts

Drives: Future Cars
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: The Golden State

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyG-inFlaNow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
Who needs x-ray vision when you have the internet? Enjoy my friend.
GGGrrrrrrrr....well that didn't work as planned. Maybe if I rub my lamp Ill get 2 more wishes.
Gonna rub your (ahem) lamp, huh? Hehe
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2021, 11:44 AM   #27
TommyG-inFlaNow
Captain
TommyG-inFlaNow's Avatar
780
Rep
650
Posts

Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bradenton FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Gonna rub your (ahem) lamp, huh? Hehe
I'm married, someone has to do it
Appreciate 5
Esteban6122.50
kscarrol4804.50
TiMSport4296.50
dmatre345.50
      03-19-2021, 11:49 AM   #28
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
vreihen16's Avatar
United_States
4380
Rep
633
Posts

Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Orange County, NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Can ppl under 65 get it now? I am considering it if it will help with traveling.
It is determined by each individual state.

Here in NY State, you can play the HIPAA privacy act and say that you have any one of the listed co-morbidities to get the shots...without providing any proof of the illness.....
__________________
2015 BMW i3 BEV, Giga World (Lodge interior), Tech/Driving Assist Packages, 20K miles
Appreciate 1
BMW F222385.00
      03-19-2021, 11:53 AM   #29
Our03z4
First Lieutenant
451
Rep
392
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeGuy View Post
Are you planning to or have you already been vaccinated? I received my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine a week ago and am starting to have side effects just now. Mostly cold symptoms and bad nausea for the past few days. I hope the 2nd shot won’t result in a worse reaction.
Please share your experiences.
My parents, both in their 70s, received the Pfizer vaccine on the 9th and my mother has had bad cold symptoms that started on last Wednesday, also had bad headache the day after injection. My father has been totally fine. Both were impressed with the care they received.

I don't plan on taking it at this time. I would like to wait until it's been out longer but I totally understand if others would like to. Being young and healthy I feel I have more to lose from long term adverse reactions then the virus itself. I also believe my wife and I had the virus back in Jan. 2020, wouldn't mind getting an anti-bodies test but don't want to subject myself being in a Dr's office. My body never tolerates any type of vaccine so I'm hesitant. I usually get just as sick as the actual illness, flu shots included. I once had the TDAP shot and was sick for weeks after.
Appreciate 1
Bunnny73.50
      03-19-2021, 11:57 AM   #30
Alfisti
Lieutenant Colonel
2107
Rep
1,838
Posts

Drives: 2013 X3
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
I don't plan on taking it at this time. I would like to wait until it's been out longer but I totally understand if others would like to. Being young and healthy I feel I have more to lose from long term adverse reactions then the virus itself. I also believe my wife and I had the virus back in Jan. 2020, wouldn't mind getting an anti-bodies test but don't want to subject myself being in a Dr's office. My body never tolerates any type of vaccine so I'm hesitant. I usually get just as sick as the actual illness, flu shots included. I once had the TDAP shot and was sick for weeks after.
How do you feel about the possible long term effects of COVID-19? heart/LKung issues even in those that seem to have gotten over it quickly. I do not want to start a shit show on this thread just asking you as you seem to be a carefully considered type. It's also a concern for me re. my kids as they will take a long, long time to get vaccinated here.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 12:02 PM   #31
T-Dubbs
Canadian troll
Canada
51
Rep
215
Posts

Drives: '12 e70 35d
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Calgary,AB/Palm Springs CA

iTrader: (1)

My parents (Canadians) were vaccinated in a pharmacy in California. They showed up at the end of the day, and asked if anyone didn't make their appointment. They were given the extras vaccines that were set aside for the no-show people. They apparently don't care who they vaccinate, just doing as many as they can.
__________________
'12 E70 35d fully deleted Dudmd Stg2
Appreciate 1
Mosaud19981056.50
      03-19-2021, 12:03 PM   #32
happyjack
Lieutenant
happyjack's Avatar
United_States
539
Rep
428
Posts

Drives: '15 F22 x-drive sport
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: old line state

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzym3 View Post
I got both doses using Moderna. No side effects on the first dose, a day of moderate headache, no fever after second dose.
I’m over simplifying here and correct me if I’m wrong but the vaccine won’t stop you from getting Covid and spreading it but it fights the infection and helps you not get sick or worst die from it. I’m saying it because media will say someone still got Covid after vaccine and they make it sound it’s ineffective. Get your vaccine so we can reach here immunity fast.
you're exactly correct. CDC and epidemiologists in general are cautioning vaccinated folks primarily because of the variants and their apparent ease of transmission. until there's more data, they dont want everyone "returning to normal" for fear of massive outbreaks of an unidentified variant.

the good news so far is that early data shows the vaccine to be really effective at preventing severe cases regardless of the covid variants.

ultimately, this will likely end up being another "seasonal flu" type vaccine that gets tweaked from year to year depending on the predominant variants in circulation.
__________________

my garage:'21 F87 M2C, 6MT; '15 F22 x-drive coupe sport line, '17 F25 x-drive28i SAV, '06 E90 x-drive sedan
previous rides: '87 E30 MT convertible, '92 E36 sedan, '99 E36 MT convertible, '07 E83 x-drive30 SAV, '09 E91 x-drive wagon, '12 E89 Z4 s-drive28i MT M-sport,
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 12:15 PM   #33
Jtt1888
New Member
5
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: 118, 320d, 420i, x3, pending 5
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

I work in a hospital in the UK, had my 2nd dose of the Pfizer vaccine earlier this week and have suffered minor side effects, headaches and a sore arm.
A few of my colleagues have been floored with it.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 12:20 PM   #34
zx10guy
Colonel
3246
Rep
2,785
Posts

Drives: 2013 135i
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyjack View Post
you're exactly correct. CDC and epidemiologists in general are cautioning vaccinated folks primarily because of the variants and their apparent ease of transmission. until there's more data, they dont want everyone "returning to normal" for fear of massive outbreaks of an unidentified variant.

the good news so far is that early data shows the vaccine to be really effective at preventing severe cases regardless of the covid variants.

ultimately, this will likely end up being another "seasonal flu" type vaccine that gets tweaked from year to year depending on the predominant variants in circulation.
Which is also a big reason to get as many people vaccinated as quickly as possible. The longer this virus runs around in the wild the greater the chances of mutations. There are already 3 identified mutations from the original virus and one that seems to be emerging.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
We might not be in an agreement on Trump, but I'll be the first penis chaser here to say I'll rather take it up in the ass than to argue with you on this.
Appreciate 1
happyjack539.00
      03-19-2021, 12:28 PM   #35
Our03z4
First Lieutenant
451
Rep
392
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
How do you feel about the possible long term effects of COVID-19? heart/LKung issues even in those that seem to have gotten over it quickly. I do not want to start a shit show on this thread just asking you as you seem to be a carefully considered type. It's also a concern for me re. my kids as they will take a long, long time to get vaccinated here.
It's alright to talk about it. I do try to view things carefully and thoughtfully. I also read lots of medical reports to try and base my judgments. Unfortunately I already have heart issues, still pretty healthy but I just have to be careful. It's a hard decision to make and wish I had the right answer but I'm going to go with my gut here. I'll give it a year or so and see how it shakes out. Things like AstraZenecas potential issues doesn't help with my concern. I also work outside and not around anyone so I'm at a very low risk of contracting it.

This is a new technology which is another thing that concerns me. Below is from the CDC. Notice how they ended in early stages. RNA is not very successfully studied yet.

There are currently no licensed mRNA vaccines in the United States. However, researchers have been studying them for decades.

Early stage clinical trials using mRNA vaccines have been carried out for influenza, Zika, rabies, and cytomegalovirus (CMV). Challenges encountered in these early trials included the instability of free RNA in the body, unintended inflammatory outcomes, and modest immune responses. Recent technological advancements in RNA biology and chemistry, as well as delivery systems, have mitigated these challenges and improved their stability, safety, and effectiveness.

This is from Moderna on how the vaccine works. This isn't a simple vaccine, this is literally changing your bodies protein production. Get it wrong and well...bad things will happen. It is amazing science and I hope it works, would mean wonderful things for humanity! Just isn't for me yet.

Through a process known as transcription, an RNA copy of a DNA sequence for creating a given protein is made.

This copy – mRNA – travels from the nucleus of the cell to the part of the cell known as the cytoplasm, which houses ribosomes. Ribosomes are complex machinery in the cells that are responsible for making proteins.


Then, through another process known as translation, ribosomes ‘read’ the mRNA, and follow the instructions, creating the protein step by step.

The cell then expresses the protein and it, in turn, carries out its designated function in the cell or the body.


One last thing, I did just look into the Johnson and Johnson vaccine, it doesn't use mRNA so I will be looking into taking their vaccine.
Appreciate 1
      03-19-2021, 12:30 PM   #36
Esteban
Major General
Esteban's Avatar
United_States
6123
Rep
7,028
Posts

Drives: Future Cars
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: The Golden State

iTrader: (0)

Already had my first Pfizer shot. Sore arm for a day or so. That's it. Getting the 2nd one today. Will post later to report any side effects, that is if this thread is still here.

You never know if and when a political bomb will be dropped and this thread will be disintegrated. We had another thread here a while back and I assume the mods pulled it for that very reason.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 12:32 PM   #37
Uber Commuter
Lieutenant
Uber Commuter's Avatar
543
Rep
435
Posts

Drives: 2014 328D xDrive
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Got my first dose Wednesday, Moderna.

Had mild soreness in my arm (site of the shot) within a few hours of getting it; A mild headache and some mild muscle aches by Thursday evening (annoying, but not debilitating); and today all symptoms seem to be gone or lessening.

Can't wait for dose two... by my response to dose one, I expect it to be a doozy...
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 12:42 PM   #38
NoMoreVauxhalls
Private
NoMoreVauxhalls's Avatar
United Kingdom
62
Rep
78
Posts

Drives: BMW X3 30d M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Reading

iTrader: (0)

I had covid-19 over Christmas and New year. It really knocked me for six! As I'm just over 50, I had an SMS message a week or so ago to book my vaccine (I'm based in the UK). In theory, I should have antibodies, but I thought I'd book my appointment anyway. Maybe I'm a thrill seeker lol.

Anyhow, I'm booked to have it at 10.40 tomorrow (Saturday) morning, so will see how that goes. I've heard that people who've had covid, and then go on to have the jab do have nasty side effects. I hope that's wrong!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 12:50 PM   #39
M_Six
Free Thinker
M_Six's Avatar
United_States
5866
Rep
6,843
Posts

Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Our03z4 View Post
It's alright to talk about it. I do try to view things carefully and thoughtfully. I also read lots of medical reports to try and base my judgments. Unfortunately I already have heart issues, still pretty healthy but I just have to be careful. It's a hard decision to make and wish I had the right answer but I'm going to go with my gut here. I'll give it a year or so and see how it shakes out. Things like AstraZenecas potential issues doesn't help with my concern. I also work outside and not around anyone so I'm at a very low risk of contracting it.

This is a new technology which is another thing that concerns me. Below is from the CDC. Notice how they ended in early stages. RNA is not very successfully studied yet.

There are currently no licensed mRNA vaccines in the United States. However, researchers have been studying them for decades.

Early stage clinical trials using mRNA vaccines have been carried out for influenza, Zika, rabies, and cytomegalovirus (CMV). Challenges encountered in these early trials included the instability of free RNA in the body, unintended inflammatory outcomes, and modest immune responses. Recent technological advancements in RNA biology and chemistry, as well as delivery systems, have mitigated these challenges and improved their stability, safety, and effectiveness.

This is from Moderna on how the vaccine works. This isn't a simple vaccine, this is literally changing your bodies protein production. Get it wrong and well...bad things will happen. It is amazing science and I hope it works, would mean wonderful things for humanity! Just isn't for me yet.

Through a process known as transcription, an RNA copy of a DNA sequence for creating a given protein is made.

This copy – mRNA – travels from the nucleus of the cell to the part of the cell known as the cytoplasm, which houses ribosomes. Ribosomes are complex machinery in the cells that are responsible for making proteins.


Then, through another process known as translation, ribosomes ‘read’ the mRNA, and follow the instructions, creating the protein step by step.

The cell then expresses the protein and it, in turn, carries out its designated function in the cell or the body.


One last thing, I did just look into the Johnson and Johnson vaccine, it doesn't use mRNA so I will be looking into taking their vaccine.
On the form I had to fill out they specifically ask if you've ever had a bad reaction to previous vaccines of any kind. So if you have had reactions, it may change the game a bit.

And I share a bit of your worry. Scenes from I am Legend and Omega Man keep running through my head.
__________________
Mark
markj.pics

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
2000cs1817.00
      03-19-2021, 12:52 PM   #40
anonstu
Registered
United_States
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: 2017 430i
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

My wife and i both got our 2nd Pfizer shot on 3/12/2021. I had just a tender spot on my arm each time. She has had mild flu-like symptoms that started on day 6.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 12:55 PM   #41
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
1957
Rep
2,342
Posts

Drives: 228iX & M2C
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Upstate NY

iTrader: (1)

Moderna for me, last one late Feb. Sore arm, then a more sore arm and felt fatigued for a day.

As far as any data can show, the lingering effects of COVID are becoming more and more of a concern, while lingering effects of the shots have yet to emerge (can't say something won't come from them, but nothing yet beyond rare allergic reactions). I predict that by this time next year 'long-hauler' will be a commonplace term for those with lingering covid symptoms - sometimes quite debilitating. From a statistical standpoint, it is a slam dunk in favor of getting immunized. Don't fall for the emotional logic that fears the creepy-factor of mRNA vs. the comfortable familiarity of 'just a virus'.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 01:05 PM   #42
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
stein_325i's Avatar
United_States
13866
Rep
6,319
Posts

Drives: BMW/Mercedes-Benz
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Got my Moderna shot literally an hour ago. Should be interesting to see what if I experience any side effects. So far, just a mildly sore arm.
__________________
Daily: 2019 Mercedes-Benz CLS 53 Weekend: 2008 BMW Z4 M Wife's: 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLC 300
Retired:1995 E36 325i 5MT / 2004 E46 330i 6MT / 2011 E90 335xi / 2017 G30 540i / 2017 982 Boxster S 6MT / 2019 F87 M2C 6MT
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 01:27 PM   #43
2000cs
Captain
1817
Rep
978
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (1)

I got Moderna yesterday in Florida.
FL opened up for my age range on Monday. Last week I saw that I would become eligible and registered on the state’ web site. Monday I was able to get an appointment for Thursday afternoon at a Publix about an hour away (grocery/pharmacy here). Late Monday morning the state called and scheduled me for Thursday morning at the fairgrounds in my county. So I canceled Publix.

My wife was with me when I went to get the shot as we left there for a long drive. Very efficient set up. Enter the fairgrounds (well signed for the vaccine), a helper got us into a line of cars, then the line split into two lines. Army, volunteers and health employees (county) verified that I was on the list. They asked about my wife and I told them she wasn’t yet old enough. They verified enough vaccine supply for the day and asked if she wanted it as well, and she said yes.

From there they gave each of us a clipboard to complete a short health questionnaire, and address verification (residency). They had already taken down health insurance info. As the line of cars progressed through the fairgrounds, we chatted with the volunteers and then entered a tent where they gave each of us our shot, though the car windows. Painless and fast. They then put a post-it on the windshield with the time 15 minutes hence. We advanced to the holding lanes, again chatted with the helpers, and at the time on the post it we confirmed no ill effects and were on our way.

Pretty well laid out and efficient process. Our second shot cards/appointments are for the same time and location, so same process. My wife is officially my “care giver” which I guess is what they needed to put on the form to allow her to get the shot. LOL.

Moderna. She had no side effects, I started to get a little sore in the arm at the injection site about 15 hours later, and that continued 30 hours (so far) but is getting better. Kind of like a mild bruise, tender to the touch but that is all. Have not taken any pain reliever - not that bad.

Given my sore arm, I expect to feel the side effects of the second shot.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 02:03 PM   #44
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
1898
Rep
1,550
Posts

Drives: Model 3, Mustang GT, F350
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
On the form I had to fill out they specifically ask if you've ever had a bad reaction to previous vaccines of any kind. So if you have had reactions, it may change the game a bit.

And I share a bit of your worry. Scenes from I am Legend and Omega Man keep running through my head.
That would be one concern of mine if I were eligible... I have never had any flu vaccine or anything other than whatever they give you when you are a kid.

Up until Dec of 2019 I had never been sick enough to make me think about getting a flu vaccine. At most I get sick for maybe 2-3 days with mild cold symptoms maybe once every couple of years

Dec 2019 though I got knocked on my ass big time. I was in bed with a fever for 7 straight days. After that fever went away but my head and body were still totally messed up for probably another week and then I was dizzy for several days after that. I think all in all it was probably a month before I was 100%. I still wonder if it was covid or just the regular flu, but I cannot remember ever being that sick.

That being said I recall going to help my sister in law with something a few days before and several family members being sick in the car with us and we were in the car like nothing was wrong.... ahhhh the before times.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:00 PM.




zpost
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST