New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

03-16-2019, 04:36 AM   #67
BBQ-AZ
Germany
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89 sDrive35is

New SmartBox Install

Hey guys, new member chiming in.

I've been meaning to pull the trigger on the CIC SmartBox for a while and finally ordered it. Installation has been nearly completed already. The only thing I still need to figure out is where to put the mic. Would love to hear opinions on that. I currently plan to put it below the dashboard onto the steering wheel box. Overall I'm extremely satisfied with the install, I hope it works robustly in the long run.

For others interested, here are a couple observations while they are still fresh in my mind:
  • The gearbox cable was _really_ hard to pull out, even with the pins pushed and it was also a workout to get it back in.
  • The SmartBox fits behind the CIC head-unit. There's a space at the rear bottom left of the CIC rail where you can snug it in.
  • When pushing the CIC head-unit into its compartment, you need to push the cable harness all the way back and into some empty space on the rear, otherwise the whole package won't fit.
  • There are three cables that somehow need to find their way out of the CIC compartment: Mic, AUX and USB. I was able to run them below the CIC box rail and into the middle console, or in case of the Mic, towards the driver position.
  • I've disassembled the middle console and ran the AUX and USB cable towards the armrest, where the AUX cable connects to the car auxiliary input and the iPhone can conveniently connect to the USB of the SmartBox. I'm thinking about drilling a little hole into the armrest compartment to make it easier on the cables in the long run. I was happy to see that the armrest closes securely though.
  • I've used a lot of cloth and linen to make sure nothing gets scratched
  • Overall it wasn't easy for me as I'm no grease monkey and the process took a good two hours, but in the end it worked out nicely.

For those who have been running the SmartBox already I myself have a couple' questions:
  • How can I invoke the diagnostics menu of the SmartBox?
  • Where should I put the Mic?
  • I haven't found info anywhere—Is the display 1280 or 800 by 480 pixels?
  • Are there any tips you would have for a new user?

And finally some quirks:
  • The sound was not coming through once, but somehow the problem went away. It seemed like a quirk. Hope it's not happening more often.
  • Sound quality in Siri dialogs is worse than when music is playing. I'm glad it's not the other way around, though I'm wondering if that's not something that can be fixed via a firmware upgrade.

And finally, last but not least, some photos
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 02:22 PM   #68
bryanhoag
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Z4 sDrive 35i 6MT

Hey BBQ-AZ,

Great post... I'll try to help with your questions...

How can I invoke the diagnostics menu of the SmartBox?
- Pull back on the iDrive controller for a few seconds and that should bring up the list of adjustable parameters
- Push either right or left (I can't remember which it is) for a few seconds to bring up your current software version

Where should I put the Mic?
- I chose to put the mic in the same place they did in their YouTube video... in the little air vent by the driver knee. Seems to work fine... but, I personally don't use it much.

I haven't found info anywhere—Is the display 1280 or 800 by 480 pixels?
- I believe it's 1280 x 480 based on the image I posted on the previous page of this thread

Are there any tips you would have for a new user?
- UniChip support is great, if you have issues.
- Not sure I follow exactly how you ran your AUX and USB cables.. but if you're looking for a clean look, I'm pretty happy with how mine turned out (which required drilling a hole). Check photos earlier in this thread.
- My biggest (and really only) complaint with this system is having to use the AUX for audio. There are multiple volumes to be adjusted in the CarPlay menu... then there is the AUX volume in the iDrive menu... and then finally the physical knob on the dash. I found that I could get adequate audio quality for audiobooks and podcasts.. but getting good enough audio quality with music has been a problem for me (especially played loud when top is down). If you manage to find the sweet spot with the CarPlay audio setting and iDrive AUX audio setting... please post the parameters!

Hope this helps! Thanks!
Appreciate 1
BBQ-AZ0.00
      03-17-2019, 01:42 AM   #69
Go351
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Coupe Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-AZ View Post
Hey guys, new member chiming in.

I've been meaning to pull the trigger on the CIC SmartBox for a while and finally ordered it. Installation has been nearly completed already. The only thing I still need to figure out is where to put the mic. Would love to hear opinions on that. I currently plan to put it below the dashboard onto the steering wheel box. Overall I'm extremely satisfied with the install, I hope it works robustly in the long run.

For others interested, here are a couple observations while they are still fresh in my mind:
  • The gearbox cable was _really_ hard to pull out, even with the pins pushed and it was also a workout to get it back in.
  • The SmartBox fits behind the CIC head-unit. There's a space at the rear bottom left of the CIC rail where you can snug it in.
  • When pushing the CIC head-unit into its compartment, you need to push the cable harness all the way back and into some empty space on the rear, otherwise the whole package won't fit.
  • There are three cables that somehow need to find their way out of the CIC compartment: Mic, AUX and USB. I was able to run them below the CIC box rail and into the middle console, or in case of the Mic, towards the driver position.
  • I've disassembled the middle console and ran the AUX and USB cable towards the armrest, where the AUX cable connects to the car auxiliary input and the iPhone can conveniently connect to the USB of the SmartBox. I'm thinking about drilling a little hole into the armrest compartment to make it easier on the cables in the long run. I was happy to see that the armrest closes securely though.
  • I've used a lot of cloth and linen to make sure nothing gets scratched
  • Overall it wasn't easy for me as I'm no grease monkey and the process took a good two hours, but in the end it worked out nicely.

For those who have been running the SmartBox already I myself have a couple' questions:
  • How can I invoke the diagnostics menu of the SmartBox?
  • Where should I put the Mic?
  • I haven't found info anywhere—Is the display 1280 or 800 by 480 pixels?
  • Are there any tips you would have for a new user?

And finally some quirks:
  • The sound was not coming through once, but somehow the problem went away. It seemed like a quirk. Hope it's not happening more often.
  • Sound quality in Siri dialogs is worse than when music is playing. I'm glad it's not the other way around, though I'm wondering if that's not something that can be fixed via a firmware upgrade.

And finally, last but not least, some photos
Hi bbq az,

When you get it all working, can you take a close look at the Idrive screen and then the carplay screen to see if you notice any blinking on the screen. It's like a screen scraping or refresh issue.

I have replaced my carplay unit and am on the second one. My screen is now far more stable using the same cables. Than the first unit. But, the screen still blinks every now and then. Is say once every minute. Just once. Then stable display. And repeat.

You have to look closely to notice when you're looking for it. When just driving you notice a blink out of the conner of your eyes. It is harder to spot because I might have waze on and the map moves around as you drive etc. . It's not the end of the world but not right.

Keen to see if it a problem for others.

Brian, have you got an update?
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 02:16 AM   #70
bryanhoag
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I haven't driven much lately, unfortunately. Last time I was out was for a couple of hours and I only noticed one flicker. I have not done any software updates since my last post. Will hopefully get out this coming week and will let you know how things are going.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 06:04 AM   #71
BBQ-AZ
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanhoag View Post
Hey BBQ-AZ,

Great post... I'll try to help with your questions...

How can I invoke the diagnostics menu of the SmartBox?
- Pull back on the iDrive controller for a few seconds and that should bring up the list of adjustable parameters
- Push either right or left (I can't remember which it is) for a few seconds to bring up your current software version

Where should I put the Mic?
- I chose to put the mic in the same place they did in their YouTube video... in the little air vent by the driver knee. Seems to work fine... but, I personally don't use it much.

I haven't found info anywhere—Is the display 1280 or 800 by 480 pixels?
- I believe it's 1280 x 480 based on the image I posted on the previous page of this thread

Are there any tips you would have for a new user?
- UniChip support is great, if you have issues.
- Not sure I follow exactly how you ran your AUX and USB cables.. but if you're looking for a clean look, I'm pretty happy with how mine turned out (which required drilling a hole). Check photos earlier in this thread.
- My biggest (and really only) complaint with this system is having to use the AUX for audio. There are multiple volumes to be adjusted in the CarPlay menu... then there is the AUX volume in the iDrive menu... and then finally the physical knob on the dash. I found that I could get adequate audio quality for audiobooks and podcasts.. but getting good enough audio quality with music has been a problem for me (especially played loud when top is down). If you manage to find the sweet spot with the CarPlay audio setting and iDrive AUX audio setting... please post the parameters!

Hope this helps! Thanks!
Thanks Bryan!!

I should have just checked the Screenshot I somehow managed to make of the CarPlay UI. It really is 1280*480 pixels..

Gonna check out the diagnostics menu later. According to UniChip, they already installed the latest FW.

I've ended up putting the Mic above the steering wheel box with some velcro tape. It's pretty hidden from sight but should work well there.

As for my audio settings, apart from the voice quality when interacting with Siri, it's actually solid when playing music (I'd say I'm borderline audiophile, so good SQ is important to me). I'll report back when I find the best settings from my end. I assume it should be ideal to turn the SmartBox volume way up and the AUX volume level down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go351 View Post
When you get it all working, can you take a close look at the Idrive screen and then the carplay screen to see if you notice any blinking on the screen. It's like a screen scraping or refresh issue.
I'll keep an eye out for it. So far I haven't noticed such issues.

What I've noticed is that I read a lot about HLLHL settings for the switches on the box. According to a newer "manual" that UniChip sent over, the settings need to be LHHLH though (see attached screenshot). This is also what my box has been set to.
Attached Images

Last edited by BBQ-AZ; 03-18-2019 at 06:11 AM.. Reason: Clarification
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 07:26 AM   #72
PaulVerkleij
the dutchman
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 2010 2.3

Hi BBQ

Same car, same setup, see earlier in this tread.

Wondering if you had experienced the same problem I have:

- it takes a number of connects and disconnects to the IPHONE X to establish a stable connection. You need to remove the plug and put it in again, the box will not retry.
- when connection is made, navigation works but sound may appear interrupted or garbled.
- after a number of times, no problems anymore.
- often, when the car was driven before that day, no problems.

I have an IPHONE X, get now and then the message " please unlock to allow this USB accessory to use....", this is solved by toggling the correct privacy setting.
I have disabled syncing contacts to the IDRIVE unit, however I have the feeling that it is still working (not the Unichip box is doing the audio but the BMW Idrive combox). This since the microphone is not really connected for that purpose and all calls go well.
I use apple cables but a USB extension cord is used.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by PaulVerkleij; 03-21-2019 at 07:40 AM.. Reason: clarification
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 11:22 AM   #73
BBQ-AZ
Germany
Rep

Hey Paul,

I can't confirm any of these quirks on my end really. The iPhone connects consistently and CarPlay takes a second or so to initialize once the phone is connected.

Similarly, the sound I'm getting is fine. Music plays in high-fidelity, Siri commands sound a bit like the HFP is used in Bluetooth (weird). I've disconnected my phone's BT connection to the car and tried again. Similar results.

I also haven't had any issues after not having driven my car for a day or two days straight. Maybe I'm lucky?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 07:08 AM   #74
bryanhoag
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I have the issue where phone randomly disconnects from the CarPlay box, but not nearly to the extent that you do Paul. It either doesn't happen at all... or happens once or twice. It is always fixed by a quick unplug-replug. The issue has persisted and been similar throughout multiple software updates. Since it's rare and easily fixed... I've never bothered to pursue a permanent fix. But, if I had the issue you have, it'd probably drive me crazy. Maybe see if they can send you a new box?

BBQ, let me know your aux and carplay audio settings when you have time!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 06:50 PM   #75
gghtpc
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 Sdrive35i

Quote:
This post has been a long time coming... but, here's my experience.

I went with option 2, the UniChip SmartBox and have been very happy.

Installation is a bit of a challenge. But, worth it in the long run.

In addition to their video instructions. I loosened the center console to run wires back to the armrest. In the process, I swapped the cigarette lighter/ashtray piece for a small tray/sunglasses holder and also swapped out the cupholders/phone dock for a large oddments tray. I drilled a large hole through the large oddments tray and ran both the aux cable and a USB flush mount cable through there.

Lastly, I ran wires through the armrest, into the trunk and through the back of the trunk to the license plate area to install a license plate holder with back up camera.

Much to my surprise everything works.

Pros:
-Anyone who didn't know better would think this was a stock system as it uses the iDrive screen, iDrive control unit and steering wheel buttons.
-Back up camera turns on when put in reverse and turns off when back in gear for a few seconds (other forums have claimed that you needed to press a button to activate/deactivate the back up camera).
-Tech support is great.

Cons:
-Installation is a pain.
-Back up camera image is shifted upward a bit on the screen. I have contacted support to see if there are any settings that can be adjusted. Also possible that it could be an issue with the camera itself.

My only fear with this system at this point is that if something ever goes wrong... ugh. It will be a hassle to diagnose and fix.
I just got a unichip smartbox as well. Any tips on running the mic and hiding the cables?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 08:29 PM   #76
bryanhoag
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gghtpc View Post
I just got a unichip smartbox as well. Any tips on running the mic and hiding the cables?
Depends on how hidden you want things. Firstly... regardless of what you do... be diligent about covering things with towels or something to protect the interior pieces. The back corners of the radio head unit are surprisingly sharp and will easily scratch anything they contact.

As for running the mic, I ran it to the little air vent by the driver's knee like they did on their install video.

Running the USB is trickier depending on how hidden you want it. There is a relatively easy path to run it below and behind the head unit into the passenger foot compartment... then you can pull it along the edge of the center console and have the wire hanging out over there.

If you want the USB more hidden, you have to get comfortable pulling out (at least partially) the center console and running it under there. You can check out my post earlier in this thread to see what I did. I'm happy with the outcome.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 08:31 PM   #77
bryanhoag
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Oh.. and I guess the AUX is probably the worst... I think you have to run that through the console unless you want a wire wrapping around the outside.

I ran it through the center console with the USB. You can see how I did it in my earlier post.

Curious how others handled the AUX.
Appreciate 1
gghtpc4.50
      03-24-2019, 04:30 AM   #78
BBQ-AZ
Germany
Rep

bryanhoag still trying to confirm which settings work best on my end. Will keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 08:37 AM   #79
BBQ-AZ
Germany
Rep

bryanhoag tried a bit more and tweaked my audio over the weekend. I've ended up with this:

AUX iDrive level: one step over default
SmartAuto System Audio: Music 30, Navi 30, SiriTel 32

With these settings I'm getting high fidelity sound, with good dynamics and low end. Not in any way worse than playing 320kbps MP3s from the internal disk of the head-unit.

Name:  Image 2019-03-25 at 2.27.00 PM.png
Views: 2778
Size:  539.0 KB

Name:  Image 2019-03-25 at 2.27.27 PM.png
Views: 2072
Size:  820.0 KB

====

I've noticed that CarPlay sometimes wouldn't be audible, meaning that even though music was playing, I couldn't hear a thing. Turns out that my phone fell back to the Bluetooth connection. Switching to "CarPlay" in the control center brought back the sound immediately.

There's a solution for this, even if you still want your phone connected to the iDrive for calls, maybe when you're driving a short distance and don't want to connect it for CarPlay: just deselect the phone as a source for audio in the bluetooth settings. That way the iPhone won't switch to "BMW 01234" accidentally.

Name:  Image 2019-03-25 at 2.28.20 PM.png
Views: 2074
Size:  446.3 KB
Name:  UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_cf8e.png
Views: 2091
Size:  308.3 KB

===

Edit: bryanhoag another question for you: when you installed that big tray in your armrest, how hard was it to remove the existing one? And where did you get the new large one that you installed? I like it

Edit2: never mind figured it out and ordered both the tray and the mat from a german dealer

Last edited by BBQ-AZ; 03-25-2019 at 11:10 AM.. Reason: added a question
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 05:38 PM   #80
bryanhoag
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

BBQ-AZ, thanks for the details on audio settings! Hopefully I will get out for a drive tomorrow to try them out.

Glad you found the parts for the center console tray. I think it's a much much better use of space. Sounds like you may have found installation instructions... but from what I remember... I used a little metal pry tool to get under the existing tray and then used some plastic interior trim tools to work my way around. It's really stuck in there, so you have to use a good bit of force. Seems to me I even had to break out a few pieces of the outdated phone cradle. And I just chose to cut the phone cradle wires, tape them and then stuff them back down into the console.
Appreciate 1
BBQ-AZ0.00
      04-01-2019, 06:59 AM   #81
BBQ-AZ
Germany
Rep

bryanhoag just reporting back here that the oddments tray install went fine although I've destroyed the Snap-In adaptor in the process. I did the same thing with the phone cradle's cable—cut it and taped it with some duct tape. The only hard part for me was getting the phone cradle out. Brute-forcing it worked well though. It's outdated tech anyhow.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 11:42 PM   #82
bryanhoag
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

BBQ-AZ Install looks great! I definitely destroyed the phone cradle as well.. but, who cares?

Still haven't gotten out to try the audio settings. Have a slow leak in one of my tires that is so slow the tire shop can't find it... trying to get that sorted out before any significant driving. Will keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 07:49 AM   #83
bryanhoag
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Finally managed to get out for a long drive... tire leak fixed, weather cooperated. Those audio settings worked pretty well for me! I'd say 90% of the music I listened to was perfect. Occasionally would have a song that had a fair amount of static. But, for some reason, this seemed song-dependent/album-dependent... perhaps because of how it was originally recorded. Having the top down certainly helped obscure any static. Top up or slow speeds could definitely hear more. But, overall very happy with the sound. So, thanks for the input!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 04:41 PM   #84
BBQ-AZ
Germany
Rep

Awesome! Happy it worked for you. I've dialed the music volume down to 26 now in the settings area to make navigation prompts stand out a bit more and the music sounds fine still.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 08:07 AM   #85
bryanhoag
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Go351 Regarding the screen flickering. I was out for a long drive the other day. I think my screen probably flickered twice. But, it's something I notice out of the corner of my eye.. then look at the screen... and then it doesn't happen again. It happens so infrequently for me that I don't consider it an issue. And... I can't even take a video of it to send to UniChip to show them the issue because of how infrequent it is. Have you sent them a video of your screen?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 03:44 PM   #86
Go351
Private
Rep

Quote:
Go351 Regarding the screen flickering. I was out for a long drive the other day. I think my screen probably flickered twice. But, it's something I notice out of the corner of my eye.. then look at the screen... and then it doesn't happen again. It happens so infrequently for me that I don't consider it an issue. And... I can't even take a video of it to send to UniChip to show them the issue because of how infrequent it is. Have you sent them a video of your screen?
Hi Bryan
I ended up getting a replacement unit. My problem got to the point where it was constantly flickering. Unichip was pretty good about it. I paid for return shipping.

Good news and bad news though. The new unit is much much better, but the problem is still there. Only happens on 4 out of 10 drives. And now mostly happens when in Idrive screen not carplay as much. Crazy!

My latest theory....
When it flickers, if I gently force the screen towards the closed position. It stops the flickering.
I suspect it's a wiring issue but have reinstalled and wriggled the cables many times now. Can't get it to repeat when I'm testing. Only when I drive.

My fear is that there is a degraded wire or connection in the oringal cable set going to the screen, likely at the screen connection point. I just can't get to it without taking the dash and vents out. Im too scared about doing that for breaking some plastic part, or worse, rattles after. I'm very presious about my rattles!

But... I think I will have to do it soon.

Yours sounds like it's nowhere near the level of frequency as mine was. But I get it, once you know it's there....
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 04:00 PM   #87
bryanhoag
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Go351 Gosh... I hope we don't ultimately have to resort to redoing factory wiring... what a hassle that would be.

I had an interesting experience today where I went for a drive to get lunch... about an hour out and an hour back. On the way there, the screen flashed more times than I have ever seen before... like once every few minutes. Then, on the way back... I didn't see it flash a single time.

I'm at the point of just attributing it to fussy electronics for which the problem/solution may never be fully known. Just give it time and it goes back to normal... or near-normal (for me anyway). It's like when my internet randomly stops working... I can reset/unplug/replug call the service provider without success til I'm ready to pull my hair out. Or I can just do nothing for a few hours and it randomly starts working again.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 04:34 PM   #88
Go351
Private
Rep

Quote:
Go351 Gosh... I hope we don't ultimately have to resort to redoing factory wiring... what a hassle that would be.

I had an interesting experience today where I went for a drive to get lunch... about an hour out and an hour back. On the way there, the screen flashed more times than I have ever seen before... like once every few minutes. Then, on the way back... I didn't see it flash a single time.

I'm at the point of just attributing it to fussy electronics for which the problem/solution may never be fully known. Just give it time and it goes back to normal... or near-normal (for me anyway). It's like when my internet randomly stops working... I can reset/unplug/replug call the service provider without success til I'm ready to pull my hair out. Or I can just do nothing for a few hours and it randomly starts working again.
Bryan

I hear you....

Unfortunately that how mine started. I first thought it was waze refreshing the screen and also because the maps moves around, I thought it was just me seeing things.

I got the unit mainly for the reversing camera. which is useful but not when it flickers as I'm trying to get into tight space

So if my roof doesn't start to show signs problems, I think I'd switch to the alvin unit that others are doing in time. When I bought the Unichip box, the alvin unit was not confirmed yet. It looks a better product but Im not sure I like the idea of the fixed screen. I do sometimes close my screen at night or for that retro basic look. Kinda nice. Although I'm sure the motor in the screen will fail soon enough

Honestly, I love my BMW's. We have 5 in the household now and the e89 has caused so much pain with little but expensive problems. It's the worse compared to our other cars but I do love to drive it. Even my M4 has been left home in favour of the Z.....
Appreciate 0