E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > N55 Starts then falls to 0rpm and shuts off

05-01-2024, 04:12 PM   #1
HammerXI
Rep
Drives: BMW335 XI / BMW325CI

Hey there, just looking for some input on my 2011 335xi coupe. I’ve recently started my car and while it started up pretty normal the reduced power engine light appeared and then engine quickly fell to 0rpm and “turned off” while the car still had power and everything the engine was no longer running. Apon farther inspection I could start the car again and it didn’t die but sounded a little rougher , the engine light still on. Planning on scanning it tomorrow (misplaced my scanner..) Assuming it’s something along the lines of the fuel pressure or coils/spark plugs? I did recently get the spark plugs and a few coils changed?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 01:07 PM   #2
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

IMO no point in guessing until you have codes.

Were you able to scan your car?
      05-03-2024, 03:22 PM   #3
HammerXI
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post

Yes I did today and this is what I was given!

I’ve been reading that I should probably use a bmw specific scanner which I do not have - these were the codes that were given :
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 11:48 AM   #4
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerXI View Post
Yes I did today and this is what I was given! I’ve been reading that I should probably use a bmw specific scanner which I do not have - these were the codes that were given :
Welcome to the Forum!

The O2 Sensor Heater codes would NOT cause engine shutdown. The KL87 Fault (P15D9/332E) is the important one, and P0003/2C3E may be secondary to that (is also important). Did someone recently "Wash" the engine on the US/CA "driver"/Left Side?

Attached to NEXT Post are ISTA ScreenPrints showing Definitions of the 4 DME Codes, and ALSO "DME Supply" circuit showing fuses supplied by K6300 relay which is "Terminal 87/ KL87". Also Connector Views for items to test, as discussed below. See Also "BMW Fault Code Lookup" Fault Info Sheet Links BELOW. Click on Link to see DETAILS: Service Plan/ Notes, etc.:
https://bmwfault.codes/XMLDiagView?d...MAMgA1ADAANAA=
https://bmwfault.codes/XMLDiagView?d...AANgAzADAANAA=
https://bmwfault.codes/XMLDiagView?d...UANAA5ADAANAA=
https://bmwfault.codes/XMLDiagView?d...YAOAA5ADAANAA=

Particularly IF there has been recent "Water Spray" onto Left Side of engine, beneath Intake Manifold, I would begin by Identifying X60005 Connector, disconnecting that connector, inspecting Pins & Sockets (particularly #9, #11 & #12, Red/Green wires), removing any moisture/ corrosion & cleaning with Electronic Contact Cleaner. Inspect the wiring at the connector for any obvious damage.

Repeat that process for X60001, particularly Pins/Sockets #42, White/Red wire, & #47, White/Violet wire.

Diagnostic Software Fault Codes are just "Starting Clues", and CANNOT identify a particular FAULT LOCATION (in most cases ;-). Best way I know to identify a fault location is to get as many "Clues" from whatever diagnostic software you have, Review the Wiring Diagrams, and then use a cheap ($10 US) Multimeter to test for (1) Voltage, or (2) Continuity to Chassis Ground. ALWAYS check wiring FIRST, before throwing parts.

In your case, it would appear that the "DME Main Relay/ K6300" is NOT staying "Activated". That relay is soldered to Printed Circuit Board (PCB) of JB Fuse Panel, and there are RARELY reports of its failure. There ARE numerous reports of wiring faults that prevent its proper activation. As you can see from the wiring diagram, fuses F11, F16, F37 & F38 should have battery voltage when K6300 is Active. K6300 SHOULD be active whenever Ignition is ON (Instrument Cluster lighted).

K6300 is activated by DME sending Ground Signal via White/Violet wire, from X60001/47 to x11010/1 on upper-left of JB Fuse Panel. That X11010 Location is also attached to NEXT Post. You may want to try applying ground to X11010/1 (such as by sticking pin in White/ Violet wire & applying Chassis Ground), to see if K6300 "CLICKS". There ARE other possible fault points, so please report back with specific findings of suggested tests.

Please let us know what questions you may have, such as suggested test procedures using Multimeter, and what you find.
George
Appreciate 1
wrevilo38.50
      05-04-2024, 11:52 AM   #5
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Attached are ISTA ScreenPrints related to 3/2010 build 335xi E92 N55 as discussed in Prior Post.
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 09:55 PM   #6
HammerXI
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Welcome to the Forum!

The O2 Sensor Heater codes would NOT cause engine shutdown. The KL87 Fault (P15D9/332E) is the important one, and P0003/2C3E may be secondary to that (is also important). Did someone recently "Wash" the engine on the US/CA "driver"/Left Side?

Attached to NEXT Post are ISTA ScreenPrints showing Definitions of the 4 DME Codes, and ALSO "DME Supply" circuit showing fuses supplied by K6300 relay which is "Terminal 87/ KL87". Also Connector Views for items to test, as discussed below. See Also "BMW Fault Code Lookup" Fault Info Sheet Links BELOW. Click on Link to see DETAILS: Service Plan/ Notes, etc.:
https://bmwfault.codes/XMLDiagView?d...MAMgA1ADAANAA=
https://bmwfault.codes/XMLDiagView?d...AANgAzADAANAA=
https://bmwfault.codes/XMLDiagView?d...UANAA5ADAANAA=
https://bmwfault.codes/XMLDiagView?d...YAOAA5ADAANAA=

Particularly IF there has been recent "Water Spray" onto Left Side of engine, beneath Intake Manifold, I would begin by Identifying X60005 Connector, disconnecting that connector, inspecting Pins & Sockets (particularly #9, #11 & #12, Red/Green wires), removing any moisture/ corrosion & cleaning with Electronic Contact Cleaner. Inspect the wiring at the connector for any obvious damage.

Repeat that process for X60001, particularly Pins/Sockets #42, White/Red wire, & #47, White/Violet wire.

Diagnostic Software Fault Codes are just "Starting Clues", and [...]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90yyc View Post

Hey again,

Bit of a update here- really appreciate the help you’ve given up to this point!

I’ve recently taken apart my engine to access the ecm connection under the manifold (quite the spot for it) after removing the Thottle body and the Charge pipe I’ve been met with the connectors.

As you mentioned I’ve been looking for some form of moisture or corrosion among the connections - I’ve attached photos on the ports- they look quite clean on the inside. I’m still working on getting the last 2 connections off (X6005,X6004) as they are stuck will get them off tomorrow! What I did find though was this connector covered in oil from my charge pipe or throttle body….

Not sure if this is the issue but I’ve been unable to find out what this connection is - looks like it goes to the ecm- it’s attached to the black box and I cannot figure out how to deattach it or undo the connection to farther check the oil damage.

You mentioned testing the voltage with a tester as maybe the next step? After looking into the fault codes and talking to a mechanic friend of mine. Both stated that the fault is detected when no voltage is applied at the DME input despite the main digital motor electronics being on…

Thinking that this means there is no voltage getting through causing these issues?

Apologize if the pictures are all over the place , the blue circle is where the oil was (one attached to the black box) that I can’t get off! I also noticed there was oil inside of the fuel pressure sensor indicated in red at the top of the engine.

Anymore ideas or steps that I can try appreciate it again for the help!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0