New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > E89 Z4 Photos / Video / Media Gallery

06-25-2012, 10:05 PM   #1
Z4-Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i 6mt

Performance Delivery

Just ticked over 500 miles on the odometer ... time to post some photos from my Performance Delivery last week in Greer, SC!

Special kudos go out to Ryan at Casey BMW in Newport News for building the order and facilitating all of the behind the scenes paperwork and reservations for the delivery and to Andy and Tommy at the Performance Delivery Center for their instruction on the track.
Andy also hand-delivered a beautiful Space Gray and Canyon Brown 35i and ensured that all questions were answered ... he even spotted a broken spring on the pass-through compartment door and had it fixed before lunch!
Attached Images

06-25-2012, 10:13 PM   #2
Z4-Pilot
United_States
Rep

We had a tremendous rainstorm today ... so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to take some more photos of the canyon brown interior. I am glad I made that choice!

Our delivery day started with a very filling breakfast at the Greenville Marriott, which my wife later commented on during the handling course! We left the hotel in our own vehicle before the shuttle because my two boys came along as well (they had reservations for the factory tour and spent their day in the museum and factory).

After a quick check-in at the Performance Center, we headed back to the classroom for a quick spin-up and introductions. Andy didn't keep us long and we were sitting in a loaner Z4 35is before we knew it. My wife returned from the restroom expecting to sit in a set of bleachers and was quite nervous as I opened the door for her with only a two-way radio for our instructor!
      06-25-2012, 10:21 PM   #3
richard313
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi M-sport

is that a brown interior?

congrats on the PCD experience!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 10:40 PM   #4
Z4-Pilot
United_States
Rep

We rolled down the track in a group of three (Z4, 135i, and 535i) to start on the emergency stop (ABS) training with Andy. After a walk (drive) through and two demonstrations we took our spot and began our runs into the wet braking area at 40, 45, 50, and 55 mph. My wife took the wheel for another four passes and began to really like the car and our instructors!

Next up was the handling course with Tommy. My wife stayed at the wheel and timidly lapped with the other three drivers (she started to get in to it by her fourth lap ... she didn't expect to be driving, after all!). After a quick pit, I took to the course and had an absolute blast (my wife asked to be let out after my third lap). While I continued for the remainder of my laps my wife chatted with other spouses and Tommy ... who stated that we ought to be pushing the cars on the track (and that he would be disappointed if we didn't)!

Following the handling circuit was the stability control appreciation course on the wet skid pad ... I was lucky enough to be the first one out on the pad with Andy in a 335i. Andy asked for a "good" demonstration to the onlookers of stability control off and we got a full 720 degree spin right at show center. My wife's expression on the video is priceless, but not for young children's ears! Andy gave me another spin and then turned dynamic traction control on for a final lap around the wet pad. We picked up my wife and I climbed into the back seat with the camera ... I had the camera rolling when she did her first spin. She was caught so far off guard (thinking that stability control was on!) that we closed her eyes and held the spin until the engine stalled and her front tires were in the grass ... her second spin was much more timid. She was relieved when stability control returned!

Our last event on the track was a little bit of formation driving with Andy and Tommy ... in M5s ... with passengers ... and with as much drift and tire smoke as they could manage! We rode with Tommy right behind his father as they performed an absolutely beautiful ballet (minus the pit orchestra ... but with plenty of music nonetheless).

One more event occurred before lunch ... the most important one! My new Z4 was sitting in the last bay and all the shades where open (too bright, but oh, so beautiful!). We sat down for about an hour going through the function of every part of the car (under the hood, in the cabin, and out back in the trunk). Andy stressed the break-in period (good thing that home was 450 miles away ... I'm almost half-way there!) and even caught a broken spring in the pass-through door latch. We set up the BMW Assist and Sirrius radio and then pulled up front for some sunshine before heading in to lunch.

My wife and I ate lunch with Andy and spent a great hour chatting about the teen driving schools (we're only a year away from our oldest getting his permit!). Great food and even better company.

The afternoon was a bit of a blur (since I wanted to get back in to that beautiful Z!). My wife was totally sold with the off-road course and is now starting to look at X3s and X5s ... she wants one for her 40th birthday in a couple of years. We drove to the Zentrum museum for our tour and parked on the sidewalk (trying out the hands-free dialing in the process to alert our boys who where lounging in the cafe). The factory tour was very informative (my boys hopped in for a second tour!) ... the only sad part was when one of the employees stated that BMW may be opening up custom paint orders (any paint in the BMW inventory on any car, with only a few exceptions) ... I would have loved to have the bronze metallic from the X6 to match my canyon brown interior (though the Space Gray is probably a better mix ... not too overboard on the brown tint).

We ended our day by collecting my wife's vehicle from the visitor's lot and starting the long, wet trip home to Virginia. Of course my boys swapped seats in the Z at every stop!

Post Script ... my second son wanted to know today if he could borrow it for his junior prom (five years away) ... I told him that I would probably be on a road trip that day ...
      06-25-2012, 10:42 PM   #5
Z4-Pilot
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard313 View Post
is that a brown interior?

congrats on the PCD experience!
Yes, M Sport Canyon Brown package ... I need to take more photos tomorrow if the weather cooperates. The brown leather on the dash, doors, seat, and center console is absolutely stunning and really brings a warmth to the already wonderful cockpit design.
      06-25-2012, 11:04 PM   #6
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

How was the oil temperature on the track? Understeer?

More details of that portion please!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2012, 11:18 PM   #7
Z4-Pilot
United_States
Rep

Understeer? Yes, a bit on corner entry but very neutral once I got on the power through the apex. The 35is that I drove appeared to be completely stock ... I wonder how it would have been on PSS tires instead of the run-flats. The Performance Delivery handling course is quite small ... Slalom to right hand sweeper to tight right handed to descending left entry into a quick chicane followed by the final turn a decreasing radius right hander. An absolute blast, but certainly not a fast road course.

I kept on getting slowed/held to allow the 335i in front of me to build some spacing ... I was enjoying the track by pushing the Z a bit more than the 3-series driver.

I honestly wasn't looking at the oil temperature gauge during my track time ... I was more concerned about the 135i behind me and the 335i in front because Tommy let us know that we were not allowed to lap/pass on the small circuit.

I'm hooked ... I need to start saving for the two-day course now. My wife and I promised the teen school to our eldest if he keeps his grades up. Of course, someone will have to drive him to SC and I might as well have reservations of my own of the track!
      06-26-2012, 12:37 AM   #8
z4z4z4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3

SoooOOOOooo
      06-26-2012, 08:04 AM   #9
ZheHbKa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: the Wind

Garage List
2014 BMW 335 Xi  [10.00]
very nice!

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 10:16 PM   #10
Z4-Pilot
United_States
Rep

A couple more shots of the Canyon Brown interior ... I didn't have the right filter for the lens so the photos don't give the leather its due (just too beautiful and bright out). Half of the photos were overexposed because there was simply too much light to shoot with a short enough depth of field (at roughly f4.0), I couldn't open the aperture any more without complete washout.
Attached Images

06-27-2012, 10:19 PM   #11
Z4-Pilot
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the complements ... I am certainly loving my new ride! My neighbor came over today and asked to trade keys for his C-class ... I told him I'll give him a ride once I get through the break-in period but no key swaps!