New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

07-19-2022, 12:02 PM   #1
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Hernia?

First, as I know this will be said, I plan to go to the doctor - just trying to see others opinions/experiences as the internet is all over the place. The more I think of it, as someone who never has had a hernia, the more I think this may have been brewing (is still brewing??) for a while and I am just starting to get certain discomfort.

Did my typical workout for the day. 10 min warmup walk, Back/triceps for 30 mins, 5k run, core/stretching to finish things out. Noticed maybe a smidge of discomfort towards the end, as I got in the shower, noticed my right side had a little bulge to it (inguinal hernia??). Thinking back, I have noticed that side always had a little bit of a bulge to it, and I am not experiencing any pain while coughing/laughing/bending down/picking things up. Just a slight discomfort in my groin area. It does not look or seem near as pronounced as what I have seen online, but I couldn't help but notice it is "softer" then the left side of me.

Idk what is going on. The last thing I want is a fricking hernia, without working out I will loose my mind lol. Again I feel fine moving in all physical directions. Is there a chance that I just strained something (sports hernia), and I need to just take a few days off?

Idk, interested in some different thoughts especially if anyone has been in a similar predicament.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2022, 12:10 PM   #2
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Maybe just a groin pull. I've had several. Give it a few days to feel better. I've also had a hernia. Pain/discomfort didn't go away. Felt it with every stretch or strain to the area.
      07-19-2022, 01:56 PM   #3
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Sounds like fun. I had a hernia for many years and through many strenuous activities, but when I got unfit and fatter in recent years it started to give way and cause unpleasantness. It's an odd feeling when it tears a bit - not very painful, but just not nice. I had it repaired under local anaesthetic; horrible, but quite fast and lowest risk. I hated every second of that, but would do it again if needed. I now have gauze in there to reinforce it, which I can feel every once in a while. No other issues though.

To check if yours is a hernia, the normal test is to put your hand on the lump and feel if it kicks when you cough. ...but do see that doctor
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 02:04 PM   #4
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Do you already have an "outie"?
      11-05-2022, 05:24 PM   #5
Tman97
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW m340i portimao blue

I've had an inguinal hernia. In fact, I completed a couple of powerlifting competitions before getting it fixed. It didn't bother me and didn't look that bad, but when the doc went it to fix it he said it was actually worse than it looked on the outside. I had an open repair done so I've got a 4 inch scar in my groin area. Recovery wasn't that bad. I was able to ease back into lifting a month after the surgery.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2022, 05:42 PM   #6
dscabra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GMC Denali

Garage List
I lived with an inguinal hernia for many years with no issue at all. It wasn't until the significant bulge appeared that I decided it was time to get it repaired. The surgery was pretty straight forward, and I went home about 90 minutes after it was done. I have no scars from the three small incisions that were made to do the surgery and no issues in the last 18-months since it was done. The doctor even repaired another hernia I didn't realize I had at my navel. My outie navel is now an innie!
Appreciate 0