New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-05-2022, 09:57 AM   #705
StradaRedlands
Major
StradaRedlands's Avatar
United_States
1333
Rep
1,166
Posts

Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [6.00]
2011 BMW 528i  [0.00]
2007 Mercedes GL450  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
...The real value play next year will be $30k 300mile range Chevy Equinox, no one is going to match those specs and pricing....
Watching this VERY closely for my spouse's commuter. If it has a great interior (She's not going backwards from a F10 and lives in her car as a mobile office) it could end up being the perfect vehicle for her. Looks like it has HVAC buttons and dials, and decent controls on the steering wheel. Exterior is basic, not good, not bad. Hopefully good driving dynamics so not a slush-mobile. Going to presume that the battery won't catch on fire. Don't eff this up, GM!


Last edited by StradaRedlands; 11-05-2022 at 03:43 PM..
Appreciate 2
chad86tsi1109.50
AlexFL7726.50
      11-05-2022, 03:33 PM   #706
chad86tsi
Captain
chad86tsi's Avatar
1110
Rep
645
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Portland metro

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Back in 2013 when I was considering replacing the E90 with an EV, the only EV that had the daily 200-mile winter range (with buffer) I needed was the Model S. I ran all the financial numbers every which way and I concluded that gas would have to be $6.00+ or the vehicle price had to be near $30K. Cheapest Model S at the time with 300-mile range was $85K.

Well, we're at $6/gal come December... And next year when the EV Equinox in 2024, GM may have hit on its hands.
But is it fast in a straight line?
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh12386.00
      11-05-2022, 03:41 PM   #707
StradaRedlands
Major
StradaRedlands's Avatar
United_States
1333
Rep
1,166
Posts

Drives: 2006 BMW 330i MT
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [6.00]
2011 BMW 528i  [0.00]
2007 Mercedes GL450  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Back in 2013 when I was considering replacing the E90 with an EV, the only EV that had the daily 200-mile winter range (with buffer) I needed was the Model S. I ran all the financial numbers every which way and I concluded that gas would have to be $6.00+ or the vehicle price had to be near $30K. Cheapest Model S at the time with 300-mile range was $85K.

Well, we're at $6/gal come December... And next year when the EV Equinox in 2024, GM may have hit on its hands.
I bet these will be VERY hard to get a hold of at MSRP. Similar to Mavericks/Mach-E/Broncos right now. Add potential first year reliability issues, and we'll probably wait a couple and use up the F10. But if you could get a <$30,000 transaction price after subsidies... could be the car for a lot of people!

Last edited by StradaRedlands; 11-05-2022 at 06:48 PM..
Appreciate 3
DrFerry5214.50
Cos270533.50
Efthreeoh12386.00
      11-05-2022, 03:48 PM   #708
chad86tsi
Captain
chad86tsi's Avatar
1110
Rep
645
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Portland metro

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StradaRedlands View Post
I bet these will be VERY hard to get a hold of at MSRP. Similar Mavericks/Mach-E/Broncos right now. Plus first year reliability issues, and we'll probably wait a couple and use up the F10. But if you could get a <$30,000 transaction price after subsidies... could be the car for a lot of people!
But is it fast in a straight line?
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh12386.00
      11-05-2022, 08:44 PM   #709
chad86tsi
Captain
chad86tsi's Avatar
1110
Rep
645
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Portland metro

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Only until the battery overheats...
So you throw irrelevant shit like build quality ? ...
Appreciate 3
Cos270533.50
Efthreeoh12386.00
x622671.50
      11-06-2022, 06:33 AM   #710
BGM-M3COMP
Colonel
BGM-M3COMP's Avatar
2001
Rep
2,584
Posts

Drives: 2022 M3C
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
That's true. Propelling that much weight to 60 is a touch task.

But what about in the rain?



Dragy recorded 2.6 in the rain.

Man gotta love tesla's torque vectoring system. The BEST so far. Good job elon!

Tesla is unmatched in these depts for the price point. Car makers will catch up i'm sure. This will be a fun EV competition! So far tesla is still in the lead! Yay!
__________________
Hello year 2035, i can't wait to see you....lol
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2022, 02:23 PM   #711
x622
Forced Induction Connoisseur
x622's Avatar
672
Rep
516
Posts

Drives: 23 X5MC / 22 TTS
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: AZ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2007 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
2022 911 Turbo S  [0.00]
1964 Ford Mustang  [0.00]
1968 Pontiac GTO  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Looking at GM's pics of the interior it looks like a blend of 1950's art deco with modern EV screenery. Neat. Far more attractive than anything I've seen in a nerd-designed Tesla.
This actually doesn't look bad at all, I wonder how it will drive.

I hate Kia's designs but after read this sounds like I have to go drive an EV6 just to see how they're coming along.
__________________
Oy vey, look at all these shekels
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2022, 02:54 PM   #712
M3WC
Colonel
2547
Rep
2,731
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: ...location...location

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Looking at GM's pics of the interior it looks like a blend of 1950's art deco with modern EV screenery. Neat. Far more attractive than anything I've seen in a nerd-designed Tesla.
There will be three trims...1LT, 2LT, RS. I am sure if you want leather, 2LT will be required.

Here is a pic of the $30k msrp 1LT interior.

Appreciate 3
chad86tsi1109.50
AlexFL7726.50
      11-06-2022, 07:30 PM   #713
AlexFL
Brigadier General
7727
Rep
4,602
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
There will be three trims...1LT, 2LT, RS. I am sure if you want leather, 2LT will be required.

Here is a pic of the $30k msrp 1LT interior.

Even 1LT's interior looks better than Tesla's.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry5214.50
      11-06-2022, 10:41 PM   #714
chris719
Major General
6393
Rep
6,513
Posts

Drives: '08 M Roadster
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

You think it looks nice from a picture, but it's GM and an Equinox to boot. It's going to be the shittiest, cheapest rental fleet grade stuff.
Appreciate 2
BGM-M3COMP2001.00
DrFerry5214.50
      11-07-2022, 06:40 AM   #715
Obioban
Emperor
1388
Rep
2,708
Posts

Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: West Chester, PA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Regardless of materials (where it's not like Tesla is great), everyones interiors beat Teslas based on functionality. Having a turn signal stalk, gear selector, complete steering wheel, etc, is just better.
__________________

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan

Last edited by Obioban; 11-08-2022 at 06:06 AM..
Appreciate 1
x622671.50
      11-07-2022, 07:11 AM   #716
kyriian
Lieutenant
kyriian's Avatar
557
Rep
522
Posts

Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by StradaRedlands View Post
Watching this VERY closely for my spouse's commuter. If it has a great interior (She's not going backwards from a F10 and lives in her car as a mobile office) it could end up being the perfect vehicle for her. Looks like it has HVAC buttons and dials, and decent controls on the steering wheel. Exterior is basic, not good, not bad. Hopefully good driving dynamics so not a slush-mobile. Going to presume that the battery won't catch on fire. Don't eff this up, GM!
Personally I'd like to see how this GM partnership with Honda will end up. It'd be the little details I am sure that separates the two.
__________________
Revolution of our Times
Current: 06 BMW Z4MR, 14 BMW X5 35i, 11 Scion tC
Past: 11 C63, 15 Golf TSI, 11 370Z, 07 MX5, 02 Civic SiR, 96 Civic DX Coupe, 03 Miata, 03 Cooper S, 88 RX7 GXL
Appreciate 2
      11-07-2022, 07:44 AM   #717
Murf the Surf
Second Lieutenant
Murf the Surf's Avatar
10859
Rep
244
Posts

Drives: Porsche 993
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: Dog Lake, South Frontenac, Ontario Canada

iTrader: (0)

Here is an interesting letter (Canada centric but I suspect translates to other countries as well) on the outlook to get to net zero, Canada will have to double it hydro capacity and transmission capacity. I don't think it can be done in the timeframe allotted given government red tape etc. and the cost will be staggering. I also think it's going to have a significantly negative impact on the standard of living for a great many of us. Food for thought. https://renewablesassociation.ca/ope...TU_4jBa1yk0xpA
Appreciate 1
Cos270533.50
      11-07-2022, 07:46 AM   #718
BGM-M3COMP
Colonel
BGM-M3COMP's Avatar
2001
Rep
2,584
Posts

Drives: 2022 M3C
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
You think it looks nice from a picture, but it's GM and an Equinox to boot. It's going to be the shittiest, cheapest rental fleet grade stuff.
Lmao right?

Any other thread and people would be shitting on gm, especially when it comes to corvettes.

Now that Tesla is talked about anything ev that’s not Tesla is great lmao
__________________
Hello year 2035, i can't wait to see you....lol
Appreciate 1
chassis4773.50
      11-07-2022, 09:56 AM   #719
chad86tsi
Captain
chad86tsi's Avatar
1110
Rep
645
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Portland metro

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Like Tesla...
Hertz approved :

https://fortune.com/2021/10/26/hertz...re-market-cap/
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 10:56 AM   #720
DrFerry
Field Marshal
DrFerry's Avatar
United_States
5215
Rep
1,411
Posts

Drives: '08 E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Greenville, SC

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW X5  [8.00]
New U.K. Taxes for EVs

In what can only be described as the ultimate irony, U.K. chancellor Jeremy Hunt is expected to put an electric vehicle excise tax in place by 2025-2026. So much for the "tax breaks for buying EVs" angle to saving the environment...

This month's Autumn Statement will include the measures, according to The Financial Times, who said people familiar with the road tax is part of a larger plan to address a decline in motoring tax revenues caused by the shift to EVs, which leave out fuel-related taxes. Fuel (gas and diesel) tax duty raises about £35bn in current Tax Revenue, but the U.K. Treasury has warned a growing number of EVs on the road could cause this number to plunge by £2.1bn by 2026-27. Ergo, a new excise tax duty on EVs could take place by 2025-2026.

More than 1 million EVs on the roads of the UK could wind up being affected. As is the case globally, sales of EVs continue to accelerate, with about 15% of new vehicles sold so far this year moving away from traditional ICE power. By the time the new tax could be put into place, there is expected to be several million more EVs on the road...

On another topic: According to the Finnish G'Mnt the World Does Not Have Enough Lithium and Cobalt to Replace All Batteries Every 10 Years – source = Finnish Government Report. Apparently, all the new EV batteries have a useful working life of only 8-10 years, so replacements will need to be regularly produced. “This is unlikely to be practical, which suggests the whole EV battery solution may need to be re-thought and a new solution is developed that is not so mineral intensive”.

The average age of child labor in Afghanistan for lithium mining is still thought to be unknown by many EV owners as is where the power comes from to charge the batteries which includes coal fired power plants.
.
https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/uk...excise-tax-evs
.
https://dailysceptic.org/2022/10/22/...rnment-report/
__________________
'08 E92 M3 DCT Melbourne Red/Bamboo Beige Leather/EDC/SSP Spec-R DCT clutch discs/SSP Pro-Gold DCT Fluid/Quaife LSD/3:45 Final Drive by Diffs Online/BE Bearings & ARP Bolts/Vibra Technics Engine Mounts/M3 World HFC X-Pipe/LUX H8 180/BPM Sport DCT Tune/PFC Z-Rated Pads/ECS Brass Brake Caliper Bushings/Alex Shop Solid Sub-frame Bushings/Motul 600/Tint/APEX SM-10 18X11 ET44 + 12mm Spacers/APEX 75mm Stud Kit/
Appreciate 4
Cos270533.50
M5Rick42607.00
chad86tsi1109.50
      11-07-2022, 11:10 AM   #721
Cos270
First Lieutenant
Cos270's Avatar
534
Rep
338
Posts

Drives: 2015 M235i
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: MI

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 F22 M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFerry View Post
In what can only be described as the ultimate irony, U.K. chancellor Jeremy Hunt is expected to put an electric vehicle excise tax in place by 2025-2026. So much for the "tax breaks for buying EVs" angle to saving the environment...

This month's Autumn Statement will include the measures, according to The Financial Times, who said people familiar with the road tax is part of a larger plan to address a decline in motoring tax revenues caused by the shift to EVs, which leave out fuel-related taxes. Fuel (gas and diesel) tax duty raises about £35bn in current Tax Revenue, but the U.K. Treasury has warned a growing number of EVs on the road could cause this number to plunge by £2.1bn by 2026-27. Ergo, a new excise tax duty on EVs could take place by 2025-2026.

More than 1 million EVs on the roads of the UK could wind up being affected. As is the case globally, sales of EVs continue to accelerate, with about 15% of new vehicles sold so far this year moving away from traditional ICE power. By the time the new tax could be put into place, there is expected to be several million more EVs on the road...

On another topic: According to the Finnish G'Mnt the World Does Not Have Enough Lithium and Cobalt to Replace All Batteries Every 10 Years – source = Finnish Government Report. Apparently, all the new EV batteries have a useful working life of only 8-10 years, so replacements will need to be regularly produced. “This is unlikely to be practical, which suggests the whole EV battery solution may need to be re-thought and a new solution is developed that is not so mineral intensive”.

The average age of child labor in Afghanistan for lithium mining is still thought to be unknown by many EV owners as is where the power comes from to charge the batteries which includes coal fired power plants.
.
https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/uk...excise-tax-evs
.
https://dailysceptic.org/2022/10/22/...rnment-report/
Not surprising at all. Does everyone seriously think energy prices are just going to remain stagnant and you will be able to charge up your EV at home or at a charging station for a few bucks? Corporations and the government are still going to want theirs.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry5214.50
      11-07-2022, 11:14 AM   #722
ASAP
Major General
ASAP's Avatar
7283
Rep
7,034
Posts

Drives: '23 X3 M40i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

I wish this wasn't the level of comedy that we are now living thru-

Now Europe has issues with the battery tax credits that were just passed

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/07/us-i...o-dispute.html
__________________
2 x N54 -> 1 x N55 -> 1 x S55-> 1 x B58
Appreciate 1
Cos270533.50
      11-07-2022, 11:59 AM   #723
g21
Colonel
g21's Avatar
1736
Rep
2,206
Posts

Drives: M340i M550i LeafEV WRX Sienna
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Australasia

iTrader: (0)

there's no point arguing about Tesla vs GM/others

one is a gadget that takes you places

one is a car that has some gadgets

both have their fans. android or iphone.

do you drink beer or brandy sort of thing

I ordered 2 Teslas because I wanted the 8 cameras recording all the time. But I can't drive them. It's ok if the car drives me but they don't.

Last edited by g21; 11-07-2022 at 03:27 PM..
Appreciate 3
dizz81210.50
Cos270533.50
DrFerry5214.50
      11-07-2022, 06:01 PM   #724
chassis
Lieutenant Colonel
chassis's Avatar
4774
Rep
1,846
Posts

Drives: BMW G01 X3, 9Y0 Cayenne S
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: linker Fahrbahn

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Watch for rollbacks, delays and deferrals of EV forecasts from the industry. Nothing earthshattering, but over time the forecasts will erode from what they have been, to match consumer demand and infrastructure ability to support.

To be clear, EVs won't save the planet. They will line the pockets of car companies. There is no magic about this.
Appreciate 5
chad86tsi1109.50
Cos270533.50
M5Rick42607.00
Efthreeoh12386.00
      11-07-2022, 08:24 PM   #725
g21
Colonel
g21's Avatar
1736
Rep
2,206
Posts

Drives: M340i M550i LeafEV WRX Sienna
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Australasia

iTrader: (0)

The planet is beyond saving. I want to enjoy my EV before WW3 breaks out.

And during WW3, solar panels to EV, EV powers the house. Got it all planned. It's another gadget to me, the cost of 24 iPhones.

Last edited by g21; 11-07-2022 at 08:30 PM..
Appreciate 3
chassis4773.50
Efthreeoh12386.00
      11-07-2022, 08:50 PM   #726
Sy1616
Lieutenant
483
Rep
427
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW M5
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Earth

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Like Tesla...
Obviously not driven a newer Tesla S or X, huh?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:27 AM.




zpost
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST