New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-01-2023, 01:37 AM   #1
masterh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i

Accident QCuestion

View post on imgur.com

My car is Red. I wanted to make a right and was at a complete stop.

This Yellow car was right next to me. She tried to either turn left or go straight to cross the main road. She got hit by a Blue just going straight. Yellow car got pushed hard, spun around and it hit my left rear quarter panel.

The insurance company said they will accept 80% of the liability.

This happened in 'June'. This Yellow car got an attorney and lied straight up. It took a while for them to figure out this simple accident even though I gave them a clear statement. (Progressive insurance)

I think they are trying to claim, I shouldn't be next to Yellow car and should've waited behind Yellow.

This neighborhood road is pretty wide.
If I try to turn left or go straight at the same spot, somebody will be on the right side. If I want to go right, somebody will be on my left side.
Nobody waits behind you unless they are going the same direction.

Can I argue about this? They can't prove who got there first but I think I gave a statement saying Yellow car was there first.

They want to do Initial Inspection of the vehicle. I know they will low ball the hell out of me when I bring it to them.
Can I just go to the body shop of my choice (reputable ones. not some shady corner shops), get an estimate and ask them to pay for it?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 07:05 AM   #2
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

First, sorry you got tagged by idiot drivers. But I don't think it is technically OK to double up in a lane (get next to yellow for your turn). You could argue that it is common practice if you had a bunch of photos of everybody else doing it (for a hot minute this used to work with speeding tickets out west). First I'd get a real hard core legal answer to this before you open up a can or worms (if you've already gotten 80%, you might be better off leaving it as is, rather than them deciding you are totally at fault for your damage by being in the wrong place).
Appreciate 1
HondaRC51251.00
      02-01-2023, 07:50 AM   #3
HondaRC51
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335xi

Garage List
2009 335xi E92  [0.00]
2016 BMW S1000RR  [10.00]
I agree with Maynard. It's still technically a single lane (regardless of how wide) and you both were beyond where the line is that yall needed to stop at. Not saying what you did was wrong. I have no doubt everyone does the same exact thing at any intersection like this one. But I believe the court would say "just because everyone else does it, doesnt mean you should". Or as every police officer would say "just because everyone else is speeding, doesnt mean you should" as they pull me over for going 10 over lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 11:51 AM   #4
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

As a bodyshop manager for 20+ years I am happy to assist you. I can not see the photo as the site is blocked at work but here is my take on it.

I'm assuming the 80% offer is from the other persons insurance company and not yours? If so, put the claim through your carrier and let them fight it out. You will have to pay your deductible but they will hash it out and negotiate to get your money back.

As for the estimate, every company is different. Most companies will only accept an appraisal from their staff members or approved shop. Now here's the most important part....you DO NOT want to go to their approved shop. You want to pick your own and do your research on quality work who will fight to fix your vehicle correctly. You best bet probably is finding the BMW CCRC shop closest to you as they will use all OEM parts and follow BMW repair procedures.

Feel free to let me know other info as needed or ask more questions
Appreciate 4
Esteban43604.00
dradernh4392.50
      02-01-2023, 12:18 PM   #5
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I would talk to a lawyer.
The 80/20 offer seems so arbitrary.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 02:27 PM   #6
masterh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i

Yeah I understand 'everyone does it!' argument won't work.

BUT I just realized she moved her car onto the main road (X mark)
So technically I was the only vehicle in that lane at the time of the collision

Let's see how the adjustor will react to my argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaRC51 View Post
I agree with Maynard. It's still technically a single lane (regardless of how wide) and you both were beyond where the line is that yall needed to stop at. Not saying what you did was wrong. I have no doubt everyone does the same exact thing at any intersection like this one. But I believe the court would say "just because everyone else does it, doesnt mean you should". Or as every police officer would say "just because everyone else is speeding, doesnt mean you should" as they pull me over for going 10 over lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 02:38 PM   #7
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
If you could safely take a right, as there was sufficient space, then i dont see how you are at fault. Also, if you were simply parked right after the corner you probably would have got hit as well. Let your ins. go after the full amount. I once got reimbursed when it wasnt my fault. Didnt take that long (few months). The other company is likely to just cave in as they've got a tough hill to climb i think.

ps you're better off asking a cop on here than a lawyer. this is probably dmv 101 for them.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 04:34 PM   #8
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Your first rule of thumb is talking to any insurance adjuster. They are in it to screw you.

Hire a lawyer ASAP
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 05:02 PM   #9
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
Hire a lawyer ASAP
What type of lawyer would be best for a potential case like OP's: civil lit, PI, contract, or...?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2023, 06:45 PM   #10
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
What type of lawyer would be best for a potential case like OP's: civil lit, PI, contract, or...?
PI. I really don't think you need a lawyer though. And if you get one you'll need to pay hourly as there's no meat here.
Appreciate 1
dradernh4392.50
      02-02-2023, 12:17 PM   #11
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

At least in Cali, passing on the right is allowed if room and the other vehicle is turning left.

At least when I learned the rules of the road back in '82. 100% on written, 98 on driving. I would have hit "concussion kid" when I didn't look back over my shoulder to the other side making a 3-point turn.