New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

10-18-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

ESS remap after exhaust install?

so I just recently got my Eisenmann quad race exhaust but feels a little sluggish thru mid to high rpm especially in 3rd gear. Im running on ESS stage 2 for my 35i and was wondering if I need to remap from ESS to get a better tuning. The sound is great but I wasnt ready to give up power just for that.
      02-18-2013, 09:39 PM   #2
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Hi NKC

What was the conclusion here?
I feel my car is quieter with stg 2 over OEM and stg 1, so I am considering modding my exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 02:44 AM   #3
Gunzaro
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Speed Racer

Impossible to be quieter. ESS stage 2 runs more boost therefore a greater volume of air is being pushed through = louder in my book. With the stock exhaust you probably won't hear much difference anyway.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2013, 10:30 PM   #4
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunzaro View Post
Impossible to be quieter. ESS stage 2 runs more boost therefore a greater volume of air is being pushed through = louder in my book. With the stock exhaust you probably won't hear much difference anyway.
I am not sure about the difference at WOT (with stg 2 it takes days to build up the courage), but it is definitely a tad quieter when cruising top down at say 80kmh. I am actually rarely able to go WOT just to enjoy the nice racing-car like sound, so in this case I hope to improve the sound especially at "normal" speeds.

It could be because at that speed its simply an "easier" job for the engine with the added torque. Isn't it so that with the added boost, more of the energy is being "recycled" which means it will be more quiet? I mean if you were running a turbo with zero boost, wouldn't it start to sound almost like a N/A engine?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 05:50 AM   #5
Gunzaro
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Speed Racer

I see what you mean - it is more quiet during crusing. Mmmm possibly at light throttle. But at constant speed that surely would only occur if the RPMs were different (lower) at a given speed which will not be the case.

I am suprised you are scared to take it WOT on stage 2. I do this regularly with no issues for traction. It's good. I actually wish it was faster sometimes as the diff between my 35is stock tune and the Stg2 isnt huge!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 06:28 AM   #6
VailM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

Quote:
I see what you mean - it is more quiet during crusing. Mmmm possibly at light throttle. But at constant speed that surely would only occur if the RPMs were different (lower) at a given speed which will not be the case.

I am suprised you are scared to take it WOT on stage 2. I do this regularly with no issues for traction. It's good. I actually wish it was faster sometimes as the diff between my 35is stock tune and the Stg2 isnt huge!
Having a 35is I am considering getting an ESS tune. Is it really not that noticeable between the two? pushing close to 400bhp and just over 400lbs seems like it would be noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 09:19 AM   #7
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VailM3
Quote:

Having a 35is I am considering getting an ESS tune. Is it really not that noticeable between the two? pushing close to 400bhp and just over 400lbs seems like it would be noticeable.
Well BMW claims the is generates a 340 hp. But we all know how conservative their figures are always. So if that was more like a 360 hp and ESS stage 2 is at 380 hp (With no other mods) 20 hp is not that noticeable...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 09:42 AM   #8
VailM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Land_Shark View Post
Well BMW claims the is generates a 340 hp. But we all know how conservative their figures are always. So if that was more like a 360 hp and ESS stage 2 is at 380 hp (With no other mods) 20 hp is not that noticeable...
1000 bucks seems like alot of cash for 20 horsepower.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 09:45 AM   #9
Land_Shark
In The Flesh
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VailM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land_Shark View Post
1000 bucks seems like alot of cash for 20 horsepower.
I can't but agree with you... The torque is though noticeable and that is why maybe IS owners think there is a big difference in hp...(??)
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2013, 08:21 PM   #10
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep

Quote:
Well, maybe I was also joking a little. On a more serious note, the speed develops so fast, you hardly have time to enjoy the sound which is present at WOT.
Appreciate 0