New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

02-13-2011, 09:47 PM   #1
shashi27
Private
Rep
Drives: 11 Z4 35is

JB4 and DCI Installed on 35IS

Install for the cones took about 30mins. The JB4 took about 1 hour and 30 minutes. Probably more because this was my first time. I have to say the Z4 is a lot easier than the 335 video as the ECU is easily accesible.

I was only able to drive the car once but it was a rush. Burger Tuning says it takes a few runs for the ECU to adjust 100% so we will see how it is by the end of the week. Adjusting maps on the fly is a cool feature. My car is not modified so I really can only flip from map 0 and map 1. I'd like to try map 2 but it sounds like you need downpipes. I am also running on snow tires right now so I don't want to shred them.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 10:01 PM   #2
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89(N54)

Congrats bro! Keep us updated
      02-13-2011, 10:11 PM   #3
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi27 View Post
Install for the cones took about 30mins. The JB4 took about 1 hour and 30 minutes. Probably more because this was my first time. I have to say the Z4 is a lot easier than the 335 video as the ECU is easily accesible.

I was only able to drive the car once but it was a rush. Burger Tuning says it takes a few runs for the ECU to adjust 100% so we will see how it is by the end of the week. Adjusting maps on the fly is a cool feature. My car is not modified so I really can only flip from map 0 and map 1. I'd like to try map 2 but it sounds like you need downpipes. I am also running on snow tires right now so I don't want to shred them.

Cheers.
How do the JB4 numbers for the 35is stack up against the 35i?

Is there any difference?

The reason I ask is because Dinan's numbers were slightly different and for some reason he doesn't offer a Stage III for the 35is. I just wonder if BMWs tweaking the ECU for the 35is has an impact.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Last edited by teagueAMX; 02-14-2011 at 11:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 05:55 PM   #4
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

The JB4 OVERRIDES the stock ECU programming - it is a Piggyback system. So it doesnt matter if you have a 35i or 35is.

Now on map 1 there isn't a HUGE difference between the stock 340HP and the JB4 tune which I estimate provides around 350-360HP at the engine PEAK....maybe around what 330RWHP.

The JB4 on map1 targets around 13psi, which is basically what the 35is targets in the midrange then tapers off significantly to redline. This is where the JB4 will make the most difference.

One other thing - I would be wary of running high boost/torque on the DCT transmission...

How do the DCI's sound mated with the Z4+ DCT? I only ever use them on a manual 135i.

Last edited by Alext; 02-14-2011 at 06:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 08:07 PM   #5
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alext View Post
One other thing - I would be wary of running high boost/torque on the DCT transmission...
The GETRAG Powershift® 7DCI600 Transmission that BMW uses for our cars has a Torque Capacity of 600 Nm so it wont be a problem running high boost especially on the stock turbos.
      02-14-2011, 08:39 PM   #6
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

Yes this is correct. It is apparently rated at 600nm, but perhaps I should have made myself more clear - the reason why I said to be 'wary' was that not many have really tested the fragility/limits of the DCT day-to-day in the real world (at least that I have personally read about)...I would actually like to see some examples of real world testing on high boosted DCT applications that are exceeding the 600nm rating.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2011, 09:15 PM   #7
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep

I dont think you will find alot of cars out there exceeding 550/570nm. Most (stage2) tunes for our car wont give you more than 530 to 550nm (on stock turbos that is). So talking about 600nm would be talking about upgraded turbos and pushing close to 19/20psi (thats the max PSI you can go, limited by the fueling system of the N54). Getrac has rated the transmission to 600nm max always being conservative for everyday applications just like all OEM manufacturers, tuners have stated that this transmission is good for about of 700nm of Torque. Now if you're talking about Nitrous then its a different topic but we ARE talking about the JB4 and average dyno numbers on 15.5 with that specific tune, with 92 Octane fuel Full bolt on's and meth give around 430nm of Torque which is more than safe and thats directly quoted by a dynograph from Burger Motorsports JB4 equipped N54 car

Last edited by Constant.S; 02-14-2011 at 09:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 01:30 AM   #8
parnassus
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive35i DCT

Actually I emailed Getrag three days ago because I've been hearing conflicting numbers about the DCT's torque capacity. I was told that the DCT gearbox used in the sDrive35i has a torque capacity of 500Nm.

Where did you get your 600Nm figure from?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2011, 02:47 AM   #9
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by parnassus View Post
Actually I emailed Getrag three days ago because I've been hearing conflicting numbers about the DCT's torque capacity. I was told that the DCT gearbox used in the sDrive35i has a torque capacity of 500Nm.

Where did you get your 600Nm figure from?
http://www.getrag.de/en/252

Just the official website and the product data and my BMW mechanic, take a look at the specs and Max torque capacity.
Except if they are lying on their website that is.

Last edited by Constant.S; 02-17-2011 at 03:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2011, 06:05 AM   #10
dcs2k
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Will you be keen to do some data log on your car with the jb4? I'm interested to see what kind of difference the same car with different mods will have.

On running the dct gearbox with more power, I'm not worried for the dct gearbox at all, been running close to 19psi for the longest while without any issue. I I'll be very concerned especially when it comes to doing launching through. Anyone that followed my other thread will hear how I broke the rear shaft and prod shaft bearings. I will be ordering the rob beck bigger turbos and will report how the car takes it .
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2011, 12:48 PM   #11
shashi27
Private
Rep
Drives: 11 Z4 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg-e89 View Post
Will you be keen to do some data log on your car with the jb4? I'm interested to see what kind of difference the same car with different mods will have.

On running the dct gearbox with more power, I'm not worried for the dct gearbox at all, been running close to 19psi for the longest while without any issue. I I'll be very concerned especially when it comes to doing launching through. Anyone that followed my other thread will hear how I broke the rear shaft and prod shaft bearings. I will be ordering the rob beck bigger turbos and will report how the car takes it .
Sorry. Not really sure what you mean by data log. If it isn't something that will abuse the car and is not too time consuming I would be happy to assist. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2011, 09:25 PM   #12
pcockley
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335

g'day chaps, i was wondering if anyone knew if i can get a jb4 in australia?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2011, 01:54 AM   #13
al1
Private
Rep
Drives: z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcockley View Post
g'day chaps, i was wondering if anyone knew if i can get a jb4 in australia?

I ordered their intake to Turkey and I got it only in a week. So I guess you can directly order it from their website. Burgermotorsports.com
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2016, 11:30 AM   #14
spiicytuna
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi27 View Post
I have to say the Z4 is a lot easier than the 335 video as the ECU is easily accesible.
Sorry to bring a thread back from the dead but figured easier/better than creating a new one. That said, first, I am just starting to research and I am considering the JB4. In reading your comment and seeing the install guide for the 335 now I am curious, where is our ECU located?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 03:27 AM   #15
talhagursoy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw Z4 sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiicytuna View Post
Sorry to bring a thread back from the dead but figured easier/better than creating a new one. That said, first, I am just starting to research and I am considering the JB4. In reading your comment and seeing the install guide for the 335 now I am curious, where is our ECU located?
I just circled it for you. As a former JB4 user I don't really recommend it if you have DCT. It will never work properly. If it is MT, I still don't recommend it.
      07-09-2016, 02:51 PM   #16
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alext View Post
Yes this is correct. It is apparently rated at 600nm, but perhaps I should have made myself more clear - the reason why I said to be 'wary' was that not many have really tested the fragility/limits of the DCT day-to-day in the real world (at least that I have personally read about)...I would actually like to see some examples of real world testing on high boosted DCT applications that are exceeding the 600nm rating.
I have lots of N54 DCT cars pushing beyond 800nm if this is important to some.

It all comes down to your choice of tuning platform and tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant.S View Post
.......... tuners have stated that this transmission is good for about of 700nm of Torque.........
Tuners who state this are tuners who have issue preventing the DCT from slipping after that and then throw the towel in an call it a hardware limitation rather the tuner or tuning platform fault which subsequently your DCT starts having real problems
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 06:33 PM   #17
spiicytuna
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by talhagursoy View Post
I just circled it for you. As a former JB4 user I don't really recommend it if you have DCT. It will never work properly. If it is MT, I still don't recommend it.
https://s32.postimg.org/y7jldywzp/bm...oadster_23.jpg
OK this doesn't work for me as a buyer who likes to research and self-educate before purchasing. Obvious question from your post is; can you specify some reasons why you feel this way? When you say with DCT it will never work properly can you give clear examples? From what I can tell (and I am referring to many different n54 powered BMW's not just the e89) there seems to be A LOT of people runnig the JB4. On the n54tech forums, again, lots of people manual and DCT, are turning in big numbers and running daily with the JB4.

I am open to your opinion but to say "this sucks" without further explanation doesn't tell me anything. What are you running on your car since I assume it's not the JB4? How's it going? Have you ever run the JB4?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 02:01 PM   #18
hooolala
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i

i have 35is DCT with JB4 installed, no problem for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 05:57 PM   #19
talhagursoy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooolala
i have 35is DCT with JB4 installed, no problem for me.
Lets see a log
      07-11-2016, 06:26 PM   #20
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

I still don't see proof that the product sucks. Head on over to n54tech or "that other - bimmer - forum that shall not - boost - be named" and take a look, almost no one supports your position. I don't have one, but will be purchasing one in the near future.

Logs on someone else's car don't prove your point....
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 09:48 PM   #21
dwspen01
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i DCT

Quote:
OK this doesn't work for me as a buyer who likes to research and self-educate before purchasing. Obvious question from your post is; can you specify some reasons why you feel this way? When you say with DCT it will never work properly can you give clear examples? From what I can tell (and I am referring to many different n54 powered BMW's not just the e89) there seems to be A LOT of people runnig the JB4. On the n54tech forums, again, lots of people manual and DCT, are turning in big numbers and running daily with the JB4.

I am open to your opinion but to say "this sucks" without further explanation doesn't tell me anything. What are you running on your car since I assume it's not the JB4? How's it going? Have you ever run the JB4?
I have a 2009 Z4 35i DCT and started with JB4 G4 but the car would throw codes under load in the higher gears...with DPs, DCI and Intercooler. After much effort, the conclusion was that the ECU needed to see actual loads for the DCT to work properly and the JB4 manipulates the load values. I switched to MHD and my issues went away. I am currently running an E40 OTS tune.
      07-12-2016, 04:11 AM   #22
talhagursoy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwspen01
Quote:

I have a 2009 Z4 35i DCT and started with JB4 G4 but the car would throw codes under load in the higher gears...with DPs, DCI and Intercooler. After much effort, the conclusion was that the ECU needed to see actual loads for the DCT to work properly and the JB4 manipulates the load values. I switched to MHD and my issues went away. I am currently running an E40 OTS tune.
Please don't waste your time by explaining how it doesn't work with our car. The codes, slippage I am getting from JB4 were unbelievably unreliable.
These couple guys here sound like somebody must teach every single information about piggyback tunes.
I am not even sure if they aware of what tables JB4 controls, and it doesn't support DCT without backend flash.
I want to see these couple of them run JB4 and come back to find if anyone selling used tranny lol