New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

06-27-2021, 04:02 PM   #309
3PedalJake
Neo-Luddite
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i, 330i 6MT RWD Sport

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6oclockshadow View Post
Its always been pretty simple: burn more calories than you take in.
This is a truism, while factually correct it's completely useless as a weigh loss strategy. It's akin to telling a poor person all he needs to do to solve his problems is to get more money. Well duh. It's useless advice because food isn't comprised of "calories", it's made up of fats, carbohydrates and proteins, with various vitamins and minerals as well. Your body has a completely different hormonal response to equivalent amounts of "calories" of steak or vegetables or say coca cola or krispy-kreme. Your body has certain requirements for vitamins and minerals, as well as protein and essential fatty acids EPA and DHA. This is why you can dump vast quantities of "calories" into your body but if it's requirements aren't met you will be compelled to keep eating, and there's no amount of willpower that will be able to stop you in the long term. If you eat biologically appropriate foods at biologically appropriate frequency (once or twice a day eating) you will never have to count "calories" because you'll stop eating when you get the Leptin signals that your requirements have been met for the day. Insulin resistance is at the root of all these problems, anyone who doesn't know what this is or understand it's implications should do themselves a favor and research it, it's where the answers lie, not in truisms about calories.

Last edited by 3PedalJake; 06-27-2021 at 04:14 PM..
Appreciate 4
chassis6373.50
shoei7778.00
arkie6397.00
      06-27-2021, 04:33 PM   #310
3PedalJake
Neo-Luddite
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
i am a physician and see this as a common complaint. everyone's body is a bit different so what works for one person may not work for another, but here some things i can share :

1. eat in regularly spaced intervals throughout the day, about every 6-8 hours. by starving yourself you are sending a message to your caveman brain there is no food around, so your body will hold on to what it can instead of burning through it.

2. water, water, and more water - you don't need juice/gatorade/milk etc, these are all just full of calories and sugar. low sugar options like kombucha, gatorade g2, and unsweetened teas are ok.

3. try not to snack -- save your calories for your mealtime. if you do want to snack find a low calorie option like baby carrots, pickles, an apple or something. don't go for a bag of chips

4. ok to have sweets every now and then, we are all human - a good option is having things that take time to eat. things like jolly ranchers take time to eat, while a candybar or reeses we can inhale in a minute. peeling an orange takes a bit more work and is less calories than pouring a glass of OJ. if you are a chocolate fan go for a higher quality dark chocolate option thats 70%+ rather than a hersheys bar

5. we put on weight through the addition of carbs usually. chemical bonds of carbon-hydrogen-oxygen. this is the same for fats, they are just long chains of this for more efficient storage of this chemical energy. So how do we lose this ? you don't lose the fat by pooping, peeing or sweating. You lose it by breathing. we exhale the carbs or fats as CO2 + water. So the more breathing you do (exercise) the more weight you lose. each breath is a little bit of fat being burned off.

6. try to avoid stress. i know, easier said than done. But if you are in a constant state of bad stress/anxiety it raises a hormone called cortisol which leads to a host of issues including weight gain or difficulty losing weight
I agree with many of your points here, but #1 is not the way our physiology is supposed to work, and the situation you describe only applies if your metabolic machinery has been compromised to the point where you are carb dependent (sadly that's well over half the population). When the carb dependency is broken and you can burn fat again (== lowering insulin levels) it's easy and seamless to eat once a day, twice a day, once every other day, or even do longer fasts as you seamlessly transition to burning your own stored energy. Energy expenditure actually INCREASES on a longer fast as that is when our caveman ancestors would have needed their energy most to go out and procure more food, and after experiencing it I will say there is a noticeable malaise in comparison when constantly fed. There is also a lot of cellular level housekeeping that goes on in a fasted state AKA autophagy that our ancestors would have experienced on the regular but most ppl today do not with eating from dawn to bedtime constantly. We were actually designed for irregularly spaced and erratic eating patterns.
Appreciate 3
chassis6373.50
shoei7778.00
arkie6397.00
      06-27-2021, 05:51 PM   #311
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Do NOT dismiss the power of:

A Healthy Gut: Probiotics and regular Fiber.
Regular good nights Sleep.

By far DIET is the biggest factor.
Appreciate 3
3PedalJake2613.50
chassis6373.50
      06-27-2021, 10:27 PM   #312
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3PedalJake View Post
I agree with many of your points here, but #1 is not the way our physiology is supposed to work, and the situation you describe only applies if your metabolic machinery has been compromised to the point where you are carb dependent (sadly that's well over half the population). When the carb dependency is broken and you can burn fat again (== lowering insulin levels) it's easy and seamless to eat once a day, twice a day, once every other day, or even do longer fasts as you seamlessly transition to burning your own stored energy. Energy expenditure actually INCREASES on a longer fast as that is when our caveman ancestors would have needed their energy most to go out and procure more food, and after experiencing it I will say there is a noticeable malaise in comparison when constantly fed. There is also a lot of cellular level housekeeping that goes on in a fasted state AKA autophagy that our ancestors would have experienced on the regular but most ppl today do not with eating from dawn to bedtime constantly. We were actually designed for irregularly spaced and erratic eating patterns.
true. its a very complicated science. everyone is a bit different. i agree the intermittent fasting has shown alot of benefit. I think its been shown to help people live longer as well, or at least shown that in mice studies.

i usually just eat a light lunch, bigger dinner, then a snack at night before bed and thats it. its worked for me. then again my metabolism is very different as i'm type 1 diabetic and take insulin

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 2
3PedalJake2613.50
chassis6373.50
      06-27-2021, 11:21 PM   #313
3PedalJake
Neo-Luddite
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
true. its a very complicated science. everyone is a bit different. i agree the intermittent fasting has shown alot of benefit. I think its been shown to help people live longer as well, or at least shown that in mice studies.

i usually just eat a light lunch, bigger dinner, then a snack at night before bed and thats it. its worked for me. then again my metabolism is very different as i'm type 1 diabetic and take insulin
Your situation is unique for sure because yes everyone is a bit different but most peoples problem is the exact opposite of yours. You will never have hyperinsulinemia unless you inject too much, while most are giving it to themselves constantly with too frequent consumption of high glycemic food, or too frequent eating of ANY food if your're already badly insulin resistant, and never allowing the levels to fall. High insulin levels are the hormonal signal to store excess energy, first a small amount as glycogen then when the liver is full they are exported as triglycerides and stored in adipose tissue aka fat. This is why unless and until insulin levels are brought down to a normal range is's not going to make any difference how many calories you count because in that instance your #1 is true, with the inability to access the stored fat metabolism will slow to match input. This is the diet yo-yo and why "calorie deficit" diets are doomed to not only fail but to come back with a few more pounds added. The only way to fix it is to lower insulin which allows access to the stored energy which in turn makes it easier to not eat constantly.
Appreciate 3
Humdizzle6024.00
arkie6397.00
      06-28-2021, 11:35 PM   #314
3PedalJake
Neo-Luddite
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Do NOT dismiss the power of:

A Healthy Gut: Probiotics and regular Fiber.
Regular good nights Sleep.

By far DIET is the biggest factor.
Good point. Most don't realize that microbial cells outnumber the human cells in our body by at least 10 maybe 100 to one, we're mostly not human. Current research points to a direct gut-brain connection, like these hundreds of trillions of inhabitants of our body also have a direct vote in our behavior patterns. Also they and the trillions on our skin are our primary immune system. They are also sensitive to what you eat and if you eat crap you breed the ones that thrive on crap and they'll demand more of it, and like a good party binger won't really care what they do to their host and overrun you. Feed them right and they'll be like your own personal vitamin and butyrate factory and keep the opportunistic parasites at bay.

I have Tinnitus so sleep is still a problem for me and I haven't worked on my car in a couple weeks that's why I'm here on a BMW forum in the nutrition section lol.

We're not N54s, you don't just dump a uniform fuel in whenever you want and always run the same way. You calorie in calorie out eat all thru the day Jillian Michaels ppl have to move into the 2020s, the hormonal responses matter, not the "calories".
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 01:16 AM   #315
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Well definitely do NOT rely on supplements. Because quite simply, they do NOT wotk:
https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...s-do-they-work
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 06:33 AM   #316
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Well definitely do NOT rely on supplements. Because quite simply, they do NOT wotk:
https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...s-do-they-work
Yeah fitness industry is smoke and mirrors. Only supplement I take is protein, and I only buy protein when I can get it for under $0.50 per scoop as it is a cheap and healthy breakfast following my workout.

Young me, about 9 years ago, use to spend way too much on supplements. Hard lesson to learn.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 07:28 AM   #317
gracehun
Registered
Rep
Drives: ‎BMW i3

Good job! Do not stop! You can also add more vegetables and fruits to your diet and a lot of water, plain water.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 01:04 PM   #318
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Eat less calories. Download myfitnesspal to track intake.

It really is simple math, calories in calories out.

Just have to have discipline. Don’t cheat. Start with eating 500 calories less than your current daily average caloric intake.

If you say you can’t lose weight, what you are really saying is…”I am lazy and don’t really give a sh*t”. Anyone can lose weight.

Last edited by hellrotm; 07-02-2021 at 01:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-02-2021, 01:45 PM   #319
DougVA
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post

Just have to have discipline. Don’t cheat. Start with eating 500 calories less than your current daily average caloric intake.

If you say you can’t lose weight, what you are really saying is…”I am lazy and don’t really give a sh*t”. Anyone can lose weight.
Zactly. You burn 1900 calories a day at rest. If you walk for an hour or so, you've burnt about 200-300 more. Eat less than 2100 calories a day and you will lose weight. But don't try to lose more than a pound a week, max. Slow and steady does it.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 03:15 PM   #320
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good point. Most don't realize that microbial cells outnumber the human cells in our body by at least 10 maybe 100 to one, we're mostly not human. Current research points to a direct gut-brain connection, like these hundreds of trillions of inhabitants of our body also have a direct vote in our behavior patterns. Also they and the trillions on our skin are our primary immune system. They are also sensitive to what you eat and if you eat crap you breed the ones that thrive on crap and they'll demand more of it, and like a good party binger won't really care what they do to their host and overrun you. Feed them right and they'll be like your own personal vitamin and butyrate factory and keep the opportunistic parasites at bay.

I have Tinnitus so sleep is still a problem for me and I haven't worked on my car in a couple weeks that's why I'm here on a BMW forum in the nutrition section lol.

We're not N54s, you don't just dump a uniform fuel in whenever you want and always run the same way. You calorie in calorie out eat all thru the day Jillian Michaels ppl have to move into the 2020s, the hormonal responses matter, not the "calories".
Excellent topic: Gut to Brain to overall Well being.
You are what you eat makes much more sense to me now that I understand the magnitude of gut flora and the critical balance beneficial bacteria has.
If you gut is out of whack, it is likely a losing battle!
Appreciate 1
3PedalJake2613.50
      07-02-2021, 06:18 PM   #321
3PedalJake
Neo-Luddite
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrotm View Post

It is absolutely not that simple, if it was we wouldn't be approaching 50% obesity rate. This approach fails for almost everyone who has tried it, because your metabolism lowers itself to match your lowered intake. All the former contestants on "Biggest Loser" are fat again after losing a lot of weight by calorie deficit and exercise and willpower, and those ppl certainly aren't lazy, nor are the 10s of millions of ppl like them.

You shouldn't even have to be using "willpower", if it doesn't come intuitively it won't last long. The primary goal shouldn't be losing weight, that is just something that happens once you lower insulin and get your metabolism under control. You control insulin with your diet, where a calorie is not just a calorie it's one of 3 different substrates that you need certain amounts in varying proportions, and much less frequently than modern conventional wisdom suggests. Google "insulin resistance", it's what is at the root of most of the problem.

If you willpowered yourself into good metabolic health at a healthy weight that's great, but most ppl who can't do it or who have done it just to put the weight back on aren't simply lazy, they're fighting against physiology and that's almost always a losing proposition.
Appreciate 1
arkie6397.00
      07-02-2021, 06:25 PM   #322
Chapperss
I only ride park
Rep
Drives: e93 335i Msport FBO 2+

On the surface bud, it is that simple for the 90% of people.

I understand an agree with what you are saying (Protein,Fat,Carbs). But for the vast majority less in than you burn is simply all that is needed.

Any fire with less fuel than it needs will cannibalise itself (and burn out).

Someone like yourself, on the dietary educated side, may watch their macros whilst doing such a reduction. For the main stay, the reduction is more beneficial than the macros!
Appreciate 1
3PedalJake2613.50
      07-02-2021, 06:40 PM   #323
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It is absolutely not that simple, if it was we wouldn't be approaching 50% obesity rate. This approach fails for almost everyone who has tried it, because your metabolism lowers itself to match your lowered intake. All the former contestants on "Biggest Loser" are fat again after losing a lot of weight by calorie deficit and exercise and willpower, and those ppl certainly aren't lazy, nor are the 10s of millions of ppl like them.

You shouldn't even have to be using "willpower", if it doesn't come intuitively it won't last long. The primary goal shouldn't be losing weight, that is just something that happens once you lower insulin and get your metabolism under control. You control insulin with your diet, where a calorie is not just a calorie it's one of 3 different substrates that you need certain amounts in varying proportions, and much less frequently than modern conventional wisdom suggests. Google "insulin resistance", it's what is at the root of most of the problem.

If you willpowered yourself into good metabolic health at a healthy weight that's great, but most ppl who can't do it or who have done it just to put the weight back on aren't simply lazy, they're fighting against physiology and that's almost always a losing proposition.
Agreed and well stated.
Appreciate 1
3PedalJake2613.50
      07-02-2021, 08:24 PM   #324
3PedalJake
Neo-Luddite
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapperss View Post
On the surface bud, it is that simple for the 90% of people.

I understand an agree with what you are saying (Protein,Fat,Carbs). But for the vast majority less in than you burn is simply all that is needed.

Any fire with less fuel than it needs will cannibalise itself (and burn out).

Someone like yourself, on the dietary educated side, may watch their macros whilst doing such a reduction. For the main stay, the reduction is more beneficial than the macros!
That's the thing tho, I don't count calories or watch macros I just eat real food. If it's so easy for 90% of ppl why are there so many obese ppl around? You may be able to force it like you're saying when you're young, but even then you shouldn't have to be "watching" ANYTHING. I'm 6'0", I spent most of my life up and down between 200 and 240lb depending on how hard I was trying and how often I made it to the gym. I've been at 170 for 4 years now with no movement up or down ever since I identified the root problem and fixed it, haven't counted a calorie since and it's been ages since I hit the gym cause I won't do it with a mask on.

We're not simply "burning" "calories", you're not actually able to burn yourself out like that, but as far as your analogy goes, if you don't fix your metabolic machinery so you're able to burn your own stored fat again cutting calories will have the same effect as putting less wood on a fire, the fire will diminish, that is what your metabolism does. Your metabolism isn't supposed to diminish tho, and this is what happens to the majority of calorie cutters, it is like having a pile of logs but they're locked in a woodshed and you can't get them (your fat stores), so you're forced to constantly throw bundles of sticks on the fire (carbs), where a couple of logs would have burned steady all day.

The intervals is by far the most important part, when you eat anything insulin goes up and then slowly declines, you're better off eating all your food of whatever type you're eating for the day in one or 2 sittings and giving it plenty of time to decrease. That is what controls your set point weight much more than the total amount of "calories".
Appreciate 3
Chapperss488.50
chassis6373.50
arkie6397.00
      07-02-2021, 08:47 PM   #325
3PedalJake
Neo-Luddite
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Excellent topic: Gut to Brain to overall Well being.
You are what you eat makes much more sense to me now that I understand the magnitude of gut flora and the critical balance beneficial bacteria has.
If you gut is out of whack, it is likely a losing battle!
If you google that exact phrase some of the top results include Johns Hopkins and Harvard Medical articles, the importance is just starting to be understood in the medical community, but we're still a long way from most MD general practitioners being aware of it's importance.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 07:36 AM   #326
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Anything that makes you move, like taking dog for a long walk

Last edited by M5Rick; 10-21-2023 at 09:58 AM..
Appreciate 2
chassis6373.50
3PedalJake2613.50
      08-15-2021, 09:06 AM   #327
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
I think it’s important to feel hunger. To feel hungry. This allows a person to learn about their body and food-energy system. I’m not saying to fast until one collapses. I’m saying that if you never feel hungry, the reason is likely that you are eating too much, too frequently, or both.

I eat 4-6 times per day and it has worked for me for 10 years. Very stable weight and I’m taking the weight down, intentionally, very slowly as I age. I exercise but do not belong to a gym, follow no “programs”, I just live and eat good quality food with fruit and veggies daily. I do enjoy red meat, bread and sweets and it is all in balance.

My blood labs are good, which for me confirms my eating system. That’s parts of the DIY health thread on this site.

I’m not special. Nearly anyone can do this.

Last edited by chassis; 08-15-2021 at 09:51 AM..
Appreciate 3
M5Rick58881.00
3PedalJake2613.50
      08-31-2021, 07:34 AM   #328
Ddutton
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330e

You can't outtrain a bad diet.
Appreciate 2
      08-31-2021, 08:32 AM   #329
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

I had participated at a 8-week challenge sponsored by my gym and the health insurance.
Setup was a clean and clear change of food, drink and sports. We had started with the first 2 days completely w/o sugar and the 3rd day w/o hydrates.
Then we got additionally a personal cook book with meals special for your taste, need of calories and so on.
My personal goal was 5kg into that period and Im down to 4.9kg since the weekend.
Feeling much more better now and willing to hold and more loosen from this weight but w/o getting under the border.
No nibbles, 3 scheduled meals per day and a mindset is suitable to achieve your goals. On the go

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 1
3PedalJake2613.50
      08-31-2021, 09:16 AM   #330
Lady Jane
Cailín gan eagla.
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i and R1200RT bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
No nibbles,

No nibbles...??? And with all that extra stamina...???
Appreciate 0